Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
The Browns don't have issue with cap space and it's not like spending 8-10 million on a quarterback is going to destroy your team.

No one else is curious how Alex Smith will play in a different offense, and that because of Harbaugh and only Harbaugh, he got better and will completely flat out suck with no chance of success next year.
I put it in order The Browns should be able to get Tyler Wilson or Matt Barkley. The Jets can't get Smith as they are I think 17 Mil over the cap. I think the Bills would be happy with Nassib

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I put it in order The Browns should be able to get Tyler Wilson or Matt Barkley. The Jets can't get Smith as they are I think 17 Mil over the cap. I think the Bills would be happy with Nassib
I don't like Barkely to be honest, I admittedly don't watch a ton of college football but I was expecting a lot more from him and USC this season, especially for someone who was supposed to be a top 5 pick last year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
I don't like Barkely to be honest, I admittedly don't watch a ton of college football but I was expecting a lot more from him and USC this season, especially for someone who was supposed to be a top 5 pick last year.
I don't blame you this is a weird year one of these guys has to succeed other than Smith but it is hard as hell picking which one.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Ixnay on the Smith bashing V, at least till he passes through free agency and is picked up by some team not named the Chiefs.
Imagine how upset Chiefs fans will be when their "We want (Geno) Smith" chants result in the Chiefs signing Alex Smith.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Imagine how upset Chiefs fans will be when their "We want (Geno) Smith" chants result in the Chiefs signing Alex Smith.
Especially if Geno Smith turns out to be a really good player.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Alex Smith is garbage. I have no idea why any of these QB needy teams would want him over a draft-able prospect, even in a "down" year for QBs.
You wanna put some money where your mouth is there mr vidal sasoon?
I will be you that ya boy Geno Smith never has as good of a one-year stretch, or 1 1/2 year, as Alex has his past 1 1/2 seasons starting.

If what Smith has done is garbage, what do you call Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, and JaMarcus Russell?
Because there's a better chance Geno will put up a line like those 3 than there is he does what Alex Smith has done since 2011.

Smith's TD/Int rate is 3/1 since last season started, with almost 7.5 yards per pass attempt. He completed over 70% of his passes this year.
Plus he can run as the Saints learned the hard way in their playoff exit last season.

I can't wait to see what Geno does compared to that "garbage" -as you call it.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith going to Kansas City wouldn't even be that bad of a scenario. Doesn't mean someone else can't be taken in the draft to compete for the starting job. And it would be an upgrade over what they've had for the last several years. The Chiefs aren't going to get some All Pro QB fall into their lap in the next year or so. There aren't many other guys that will be available to give the Chiefs the best chance to win. Acquiring Alex Smith wouldn't mean the season is a wash. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the other option. Both of those guys are going to be a lot better than the majority of rookie quarterbacks this year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 02-01-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
I think the one I have truly learned in this thread is abaddon41 is either Smith's mom or his wife.
Or possibly someone who has actually watched Alex Smith play in recent years, or even just looked at his numbers, instead of judging him on what he did in 2005? I honestly have no idea how someone could watch Smith the past few years and make the argument that he is a garbage, or even bottom 10, QB.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 02-01-2013 at 06:42 AM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Or possibly someone who has actually watched Alex Smith play in recent years, or even just looked at his numbers, instead of judging him on what he did in 2005? I honestly have no idea how someone could watch Smith the past few years and make the argument that he is a garbage, or even bottom 10, QB.
Its very simple.

1. He got benched. In the salary cap era I can only think of two or three times that a top 15 QB backed up another top 15 QB.

2. He was benched after 2 or 3 games of being out if you are in the top half of the league then your coach has more faith in you than a flash in a pan two or three games.

3. You have to look at what he did BEFORE Harbaugh as well as the past two years. He has had 5 different offensive systems this is the first one that worked for him. So unless Romans or Harbaugh is a package deal with Smith. That is something that is truly cause for concern.

4. He did a good job with the 49ers what may be the best roster in the league. Wherever he goes next his team isn't going to have half the talent at the other positions unless he gets to KC. Tripling his chances of failure.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Then please explain to me why a Rivers who really needs a specific situation is still considered a top 10 QB where Smith who had a different Offense to learn every year and had bottom of the league receivers around him and finally started producing when a coach build the offense around him still cant be seen as a average starting QB that can succeed somewhere else(as long as the offense around him fits him).
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Then please explain to me why a Rivers who really needs a specific situation is still considered a top 10 QB where Smith who had a different Offense to learn every year and had bottom of the league receivers around him and finally started producing when a coach build the offense around him still cant be seen as a average starting QB that can succeed somewhere else(as long as the offense around him fits him).
Because Rivers was top 10 at some point and I believe that he can be that again with talent around him. Smith was never a top 10 QB in spite of being in a perfect situation.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Its very simple.

1. He got benched. In the salary cap era I can only think of two or three times that a top 15 QB backed up another top 15 QB.

2. He was benched after 2 or 3 games of being out if you are in the top half of the league then your coach has more faith in you than a flash in a pan two or three games.
He did not get benched because of play, though, and one could easily argue that Kaepernick did not outplay Smith in the regular season. Besides, and I think I have stated this before, Kaepernick was Harbaugh's guy. Smith was Harbaugh's best option at the time and no one expected him to be anything other than a placeholder.

The 49ers have too much history with Smith. Because he has been here since 2005 no matter what he does there are fans that will never accept him. If he remained the 49ers starting QB every little mistake would be grounds for the fans to call for his head, no matter how well he did outside of the mistakes.

Plus, Kaepernick is younger than Smith with tons of potential. If two QBs perform about equally would you rather have the young, talented one who the fans don't already hate or the older one who has reached his ceiling who the fanbase despises? It isn't even a question.

Quote:
3. You have to look at what he did BEFORE Harbaugh as well as the past two years. He has had 5 different offensive systems this is the first one that worked for him. So unless Romans or Harbaugh is a package deal with Smith. That is something that is truly cause for concern.
Smith has only started 50 games before Harbaugh got to San Francisco. 50 games equates to three seasons. In those 50 starts he wasn't even a garbage QB like some people seem to believe, well at least not outside of his rookie season. And this was with no help around him. The 2005 49ers were one of the worst teams in recent history and even in 2006 and 2009-2010 they weren't great. With average rosters and bad coaching, for the most part, he performed mediocre.

Smith's career went like this,

2005: Awful team, bad coach. Started seven games, was awful

2006: Bad team, decent coach. Started 16 games, showed potential and played mediocre

2007: Decent team, awful coaching. Started three games before injuring his shoulder, was forced the start another three games with a grade three separated shoulder. Predictably played awful

2008: Injured

2009: Decent team, awful coaching. Mediocre year

2010: Decent team, awful coaching. Mediocre year

2011: Good team, great coaching. Good year

2012: Great team, great coaching. Great year

If his career up until the point is any indication, Smith will be at least decent if he has decent coaching and a decent team. That isn't even accounting for the idea that maybe Smith's improvement has just been his improvement. QBs improving into their fourth of fifth season of play isn't anything crazy.

Quote:
4. He did a good job with the 49ers what may be the best roster in the league. Wherever he goes next his team isn't going to have half the talent at the other positions unless he gets to KC. Tripling his chances of failure.
See, this is where I take issue. Good job is a understatement. The last two years he has completed 64.3% of his passes with 30 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 7.4 YPA, and a 95.1 passer rating. Those are top 10 QB numbers. In addition to that he was improving this year. He was on pace to throw 26 touchdowns to 10 interceptions while leading the league in completion percentage and being top five in YPA and passer rating. That would have easily made him a top 10 QB this season.

Quote:
Because Rivers was top 10 at some point and I believe that he can be that again with talent around him. Smith was never a top 10 QB in spite of being in a perfect situation.
See above. Smith was well on his way to being top 10 this season. If his averages through the first eight games, not even taking into account the facts that he was playing his best football of the season leading up to the concussion and that four of his five interceptions came in the two games when he played with an injury on his throwing hand, held up there was no way you could argue that he wasn't a top 10 QB if at least just for the season.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 02-01-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Smith going to Kansas City wouldn't even be that bad of a scenario. Doesn't mean someone else can't be taken in the draft to compete for the starting job. And it would be an upgrade over what they've had for the last several years. The Chiefs aren't going to get some All Pro QB fall into their lap in the next year or so. There aren't many other guys that will be available to give the Chiefs the best chance to win. Acquiring Alex Smith wouldn't mean the season is a wash. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the other option. Both of those guys are going to be a lot better than the majority of rookie quarterbacks this year.
Smith is a massive upgrade over what we have, but I still don't think he's very good. If we signed Smith AND took a QB #1 overall I'd be fine with it, but I doubt Smith would be fine with it. And I doubt he'd be fine being a one year rental.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He did not get benched because of play, though, and one could easily argue that Kaepernick did not outplay Smith in the regular season. Besides, and I think I have stated this before, Kaepernick was Harbaugh's guy. Smith was Harbaugh's best option at the time and no one expected him to be anything other than a placeholder.

The 49ers have too much history with Smith. Because he has been here since 2005 no matter what he does there are fans that will never accept him. If he remained the 49ers starting QB every little mistake would be grounds for the fans to call for his head, no matter how well he did outside of the mistakes.

Plus, Kaepernick is younger than Smith with tons of potential. If two QBs perform about equally would you rather have the young, talented one who the fans don't already hate or the older one who has reached his ceiling who the fanbase despises? It isn't even a question.
"Colin Kaepernick will start, it is not injury related." - Jim Harbaugh.
he was benched because he could not play to the level of his backup. you may wish to sugar coat it and say "They both did just as good whee!" but its just not the case. Kaepernick brought two additional dimensions to the offense that Smith didn't. The explosive deep threat and the additional run threat. That is why he was benched.

Quote:
Smith has only started 50 games before Harbaugh got to San Francisco. 50 games equates to three seasons. In those 50 starts he wasn't even a garbage QB like some people seem to believe, well at least not outside of his rookie season. And this was with no help around him. The 2005 49ers were one of the worst teams in recent history and even in 2006 and 2009-2010 they weren't great. With average rosters and bad coaching, for the most part, he performed mediocre.

Smith's career went like this,

2005: Awful team, bad coach. Started seven games, was awful

2006: Bad team, decent coach. Started 16 games, showed potential and played mediocre

2007: Decent team, awful coaching. Started three games before injuring his shoulder, was forced the start another three games with a grade three separated shoulder. Predictably played awful

2008: Injured

2009: Decent team, awful coaching. Mediocre year

2010: Decent team, awful coaching. Mediocre year

2011: Good team, great coaching. Good year

2012: Great team, great coaching. Great year

If his career up until the point is any indication, Smith will be at least decent if he has decent coaching and a decent team. That isn't even accounting for the idea that maybe Smith's improvement has just been his improvement. QBs improving into their fourth of fifth season of play isn't anything crazy.
Its bad coaching because it didn't yield results. It is a self referencing. Once again he isn't going to have an amazing offensive mind to work with unless he goes to KC. I will fully admit that if he goes to KC he can thrive again because Andy Reid has spun much worse straw into much better gold. But without an awesome draft he won't do nearly as well in these other places as you yourself has even admitted he's not a QB that is going to turn a franchise around. He is a QB that may be that missing game manager for those teams with bottom of the barrel QB situations but that is all he is.

Quote:
See, this is where I take issue. Good job is a understatement. The last two years he has completed 64.3% of his passes with 30 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 7.4 YPA, and a 95.1 passer rating. Those are top 10 QB numbers. In addition to that he was improving this year. He was on pace to throw 26 touchdowns to 10 interceptions while leading the league in completion percentage and being top five in YPA and passer rating. That would have easily made him a top 10 QB this season.

See above. Smith was well on his way to being top 10 this season. If his averages through the first eight games, not even taking into account the facts that he was playing his best football of the season leading up to the concussion and that four of his five interceptions came in the two games when he played with an injury on his throwing hand, held up there was no way you could argue that he wasn't a top 10 QB if at least just for the season.
Yards per attempt and QB rating are nice stats until you take into account that he was 34th in the league in attempts per game. Which is damn near the bottom of the league in terms of starting QBs. You can tell a lot about the ability of a QB by what their coach asks them to do. Now yes there are several other factors to it but that is a major one.

Quote:
Smith is a massive upgrade over what we have, but I still don't think he's very good. If we signed Smith AND took a QB #1 overall I'd be fine with it, but I doubt Smith would be fine with it. And I doubt he'd be fine being a one year rental.
Alex might not have any other choice. As of right now there are three teams that are possible destinations where he would even have a shot of starting.

Buffalo, KC, Cleveland, and Arizona. The Jags want a running QB same with the Eagles, The Jets don't have the cap space to sign him. I don't think the Titans are ready to give up on Jake Locker yet. Raiders have way too much invested in Palmer. Honestly I don't see the 49ers trading Smith within division. So in all likelihood all 3/4 of those teams are going to draft a QB at some point in this draft so Smith is going to have to at least compete with an incoming rookie to get the job.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers are in the freakin Super Bowl, and we have an 11 page thread on their backup qb.

It's gonna be a long offseason fellas.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A report on NFL.com is saying Smith might land in KC this off season. I guess they won't be drafting a QB.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This will be the funniest offseason ever.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
he was benched because he could not play to the level of his backup. you may wish to sugar coat it and say "They both did just as good whee!" but its just not the case. Kaepernick brought two additional dimensions to the offense that Smith didn't. The explosive deep threat and the additional run threat. That is why he was benched.
And yet the offense, at least in the regular season, was slightly better with Smith. In the regular season, Smith was better than Kaepernick and the 49ers offense was better with Smith. Look at the numbers viper posted a few pages back.

Regardless, it is not like Kaepernick is some crappy QB. He was a 2nd round pick with a ceiling as high as any QB in the league. Kaepernick replacing him doesn't prove that Smith sucks, it proves that Kaepernick is good.

Quote:
Its bad coaching because it didn't yield results. It is a self referencing. Once again he isn't going to have an amazing offensive mind to work with unless he goes to KC. I will fully admit that if he goes to KC he can thrive again because Andy Reid has spun much worse straw into much better gold. But without an awesome draft he won't do nearly as well in these other places as you yourself has even admitted he's not a QB that is going to turn a franchise around. He is a QB that may be that missing game manager for those teams with bottom of the barrel QB situations but that is all he is.
Its bad coaching because its bad coaching. Head coaches were Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and the offensive coordinators were Jim Hostler and Jimmy Raye. If you want to try and make an argument for those not being awful coaches please go ahead and do so.

Quote:
Yards per attempt and QB rating are nice stats until you take into account that he was 34th in the league in attempts per game. Which is damn near the bottom of the league in terms of starting QBs. You can tell a lot about the ability of a QB by what their coach asks them to do. Now yes there are several other factors to it but that is a major one.
Because the 49ers never throw in the second half. Smith had six more attempts per game in the first half than in the second half this season. Over a season that works out to 100 pass attempts, he had 80 more first half pass attempts in the first half last year.

Look at some of the best QBs in the league this year. Rodgers had 28 more pass attempts in the first half, Peyton had 51, Brady had four, Ryan had 23. Brady, who attempted over 600 passes this year, only had three more first half pass attempts per game than Smith. Rodgers had two more, Flacco one more, Cutler actually had less.

Look at a QB who had a similar amount of attempts per game, Russell Wilson. Wilson had eight more pass attempts in the first half all year.

Do you think the 49ers should be passing the ball when they are up by a lot? When they were shutting out the Jets should they have been passing every down? When they built a big lead against the Packers and Lions and Cardinals should they have been airing it out downfield?

Smith's strength is playing well in the beginning of the game, or at least not turning the ball over. That allows the 49ers to jump out to a lead and that means they basically stop passing.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
A report on NFL.com is saying Smith might land in KC this off season. I guess they won't be drafting a QB.
Why not? Because we might sign Alex Smith? That didn't stop the 49ers from drafting a QB, but it'll stop the Chiefs from doing the same?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it all depends on whether Smith is traded or released. If he has his choice, he won't go to a team just to groom a young QB for 2014. The more I think about it, the more I think Cleveland might be the best spot for him.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
THEY DID DO JUST AS GOOD. IT WAS THE CASE. Don't throw away the facts.

The explosive deep threat still isn't part of the game with Kaepernick playing.
He goes more intermediate than Smith did. That is why he was getting 2 more yards per completion.
But Smith was getting his completions at a higher rate so was moving the ball for scores just the same.
Smith was balanced better with the running game even though he himself only ran a little. He would give you the 2nd and 3 plays. Convert the 2nd and 5 plays kind of stuff more often than Kaepernick.

And Smith was on the bench cause of the concussion. Kept on the bench do to coach choice.

This THREAT nonsense.

2011 Eagles
1.96 Points Per Drive *11th best*

2011 49ers
1.93 Points Per Drive *12th best*

Kaepernick 9 games started.
13 TD passes 4 INTs.

Only had 183 yards in that 4 TD game @ NE before his last pass which was his longest play.

The TD pass to Crabtree that went 6 yards past the LOS where Crabtree caught and turned, the CB whiffed and so Crabtree ran 32 yards to the endzone.

Why Kaepernick is succeeding is he is playing closer to Alex Smith than a magical unicorn QB the media invents to fill air time.

He is keeping the INTs way down which is an extreme anomaly for a inexperienced QB.

Last edited by ViperVisor : 02-01-2013 at 11:57 AM.
ViperVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I think it all depends on whether Smith is traded or released. If he has his choice, he won't go to a team just to groom a young QB for 2014. The more I think about it, the more I think Cleveland might be the best spot for him.
Hey me too.

+1 for the bandwagon

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
I think the one I have truly learned in this thread is abaddon41 is either Smith's mom or his wife.
That's sexist. Abs could also be Smith's lover on the down low.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why not? Because we might sign Alex Smith? That didn't stop the 49ers from drafting a QB, but it'll stop the Chiefs from doing the same?
Yea probably I bet some where in his contract he will ask the Cheifs not to draft a QB if he goes there. Hard to say tho really. Just a thought.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland isn't getting Alex Smith. Michael Lombardi was very critical of Andy Dalton this offseason saying he doesn't view him as the "answer" at qb bc he can't make all the throws.

Alex Smith doesn't make all the throws either. I don't see why Lombardi would want him when he was so critical of Dalton who has similar traits as a quarterback.

So Lombardi is either sticking with Weeden or drafting a qb. I don't suspect Smith is even on his radar. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect it.