Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You're getting really good at making people feel like ****.
what did i say to hurt his feelings? i didn't attack him personally, whats wrong with disagreeing?
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
what did i say to hurt his feelings? i didn't attack him personally, whats wrong with disagreeing?
No you didn't attack him personally, just kinda shut down all his ideas. lol.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No you didn't attack him personally, just kinda shut down all his ideas. lol.
just lettin him know not to get his hopes up 4 byrd ain't bad thing either, i did agreed with some of what he said, just not all of it.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
just lettin him know not to get his hopes up 4 byrd ain't bad thing either, i did agreed with some of what he said, just not all of it.
It's all good man.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have some thoughts on FA but just want to get my draft thoughts down for now. I'll come back to this to update FA thoughts.

But the big story I need to solve first is what to do with Anthony Spencer. While I think Spencer played at a top 5 level last year...it was a contract year and we have guys on the roster that can play his spot at SDE (crawford/hatcher). I'd attach a buyer beware with Spencer although he has been solid...I feel like the on/off switch is on too much for me to give him a new 5 year deal paying him at the top.

Now that leaves another hole to fill during the draft. But like I said above...I'm ok with losing talent level at SDE in Kiffin's scheme. I'd much rather invest our FA dollar into a premier 3 tech. I think finding an interior rusher is our top priority this offseason. Our DT depth was thin last year...moving to a 4-3 makes us thinner. Add the fact that our #1 and #2 DT's from last year have been cited for DWI in the past 6 months. If anyone thinks there is a bigger need on this team they need to do some serious reevaluation. We don't have a 1-tech or a 3-tech at this point week one. Ratliff will have some type of suspension...so right away we have a hole on the DL week 1. I'd like to take care of this ahead of time. This is my reasoning for letting Spencer go.

Instead of paying Spencer lets invest in a premier 3-tech. The top guy is Henry Melton. For those that don't know him he is a former RB. Has only been playing defense since hsi Jr. year at Texas. He's 26 years old coming off his best year. Although he was on a talented DL in chicago he was 3rd in the league in sacks for DT. He's had 13 sacks in the past 2 years...that is the type of production we are going to need to make Kiffin's defense work. As far as how much it's going to cost...I'd think last years DT was Red Bryant and he signed a 5 year 35m contract with 14.5 garunteed. I could see us doing something like 5 year 40m and I'm not sure he'll even be an option but until he resigns with Chicago I'm not going to assume we don't have a shot.

Now we don't have to get Melton but if we don't we'll have money to spend. Here are some names that caught my eye. Some may still be with teams but are potential cap casualties.

It's really a shame that our DT situation has to be with this...because coming into this year we had talent and Brent really looked like he'd be a solid NT especially on a 4 man line. This is a position we could touch in the draft but I'm gonna look at FA to find someone who might be cheap.

FA Options

FA Signings
NT Roy Miller - Miller was part of that terrible defense we saw last year in Tampa Bay. However I remember scouting Miller he's still young and he had some impressive numbers coming out. At 6'2 320lbs he has the size to play the 1 tech. He has been dealing with some injuries the past couple of years...with a clean bill of health he could be our starting NT for 2013. He shouldn't cost much a 4 year deal for 16 mil??
Backup Plan: Shaun Cody, Tyson Jackson

S Charles Woodson - Woodson is due 10m this year. GB is looking to give new deals to Arod, Mathews and Raji. At 37 years old he'd be coming to dallas to finish his career. He is a game changer and would be a good veteran signing to add some veteran leadership to the safety role. This would also make Sensy expendable imo so you could get some money back to help sign Woodson. 2 year deal worth 10-12m might be what it takes and I think it's worth it if you take a look who is out there.
Backup Plan: Pat Chung, Glover Quin, Chris Clemons, Quintin Mikell, LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell

LDE Robert Geathers - I am not sure if this is a need or not I think a guy like Crawford or Albright might be able to handle this spot..but I'd like to sure it up with someone who can stop the run. Reminds me of a Red Bryant signing last year by the Seahawks. Not going to generate lots of stats but is solid against the run and the pass. Think insurance policy. 3 year deal worth 18m. That might not be enough for a DE but with guys like Spencer, Kruger, and Avril potentially all on the market he shouldn't be a first tier DE to go.
Backup Plan: Calvin Pace would be an option but not sure it's even worth the contract since he's coming from a 3-4...could just slow progression if he can't earn starting role.

WR/TE Anquan Boldin - Boldin is 32 years old and is due 6 million this year. If he doesn't restructure he is the guy I want to bring in on offense. His production in the red zone doesn't look to be slowing down and he wouldn't need to play a big role here. Help Tony and the offense put up more TD's in the red zone. He's esentially to me a 2nd TE to split wide. I'd give him a 3 year deal around $12m.
Backup Plan: Dustin Keller might be someone to look at. Hannah looked good at the end of the year but our coaching staff sure didn't do a good job selling him to us. Keller would give us another TE to stretch the field and put pressure on the middle of the field. He'd be the Hernadez and Witten the Gronk. Food for thought. I don't think WR is a need but if Boldin were to be cut by the Ravens i think it'd make a lot of sense to bring him in to use him in the red zone. Plus Miles/Dez aren't guarantees to make it through the year anyways. Nice safety net that wouldn't prohibit development of the other guys since they play different roles.

RB Javon Ringer - Ringer is coming off of a in which he didn't play 3/4 of last season. Had a MCL sprain. If he is available he'd be a nice short yardage guy and add a different dimension from Dunbar. Tanner would be replaced by Ringer in this scenario. Not sure what it'd take to sign him...but a 2-3 year deal in the 7-9m range might be enough for a RB coming off a knee injury. He had a pretty good year in 2011.
Backup Plan: Shonn Greene is another name that I like because he's reliable and can play a role here.

SLB - I didn't address this in FA because I don't really feel like there is enough money to go to this position even though I like some names in FA.
Backup Plan: If we do go this direction these names make sense. Rocky McIntosh is a name I like...might not be a great fit but wouldn't have to play a lot of passing downs so could just play base packages. Daryl Smith from Jax is another option but like I said above...not sure we want to invest FA money in SLB if we address needs like we did above. I feel like if we don't add a Safety in FA we could add SLB. Philip Wheeler out of Oakland would be a great fit but he's suppose to be their #2 target to get resigned this offseason.

I always like to start off looking at the weight of the draft. Find which positions we can find later vs. what positions we need to address earlier.

Draft Prospects per our Needs

Draft Picks
1 - Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Other Options: Richardson, Floyd, Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Ansah
2 - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Other Options: Sylvester Williams, Spence, Fluker, Elam, Cyprien, Warford, B Jones, Thomas, Frederick, Carradine, J Williams,
3 - Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida Internation
Other Options: J Hill, E Reid, Gholston, Catapano, Taylor, Brandon Williams, Mills, Long
4 - Khaled Holmes, C, USC
Other Options: David Quessenberry, Phillip Thomas, Jamar Taylor, Brian Schwenke, Robert Alford
5 - Earl Watford, OG, James Madison
6036, 300 and 5.10: Excellent body control, balance and coordination combined so that he could adjust to block a moving target with remarkable ease out in space. Quick out of stance to set to block, Watford can “get a good fit,” kept feet moving and could keep man pinned on LOS in pass pro. Perhaps most impressive was Watford’s ability to re-set and anchor when he was jolted backwards initially by power rusher. Watford is not likely to be a high draft pick, but after what I observed in Tampa I am confident that he will develop into a quality starting guard in time.
6 - D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
A former quarterback, Jefferson didn't show the expected progression at tight end throughout his Rutgers career (only 47 catches in 50 career collegiate games), but the raw skills are intriguing. And he flashed his talented skill-set during practices, showing off his large, athletic frame and proving to be an imposing target downfield and a physical blocker. Jefferson is still unpolished in several areas, but he showed this week why he's an interesting developmental player and worth a draft pick on the draft's third day.
7 - Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane
Griffin has been one of the most impressive prospects on either roster during Shrine game practices this past week. Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com said that Griffin separated himself as "the best arm in Allen this week," showing a quick release and good zip on his passes. He still needs to improve his downfield accuracy and timing, but as a late-round pick he would have a lot of upside.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 02-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Melton. No Spencer, either. Please?

As far as the original plan that started this thread off, I think you did a good job of putting it together where I could understand the salary hit. That thing always puzzles the crud out of me. I have to admit that I don't understand it.

-I love Phillip Tanner and hate to see him go.
-I get nervous when we restructure contracts all the time. Does the pied piper ever come calling in the NFL? I honestly don't know. But I would think that eventually he will.

One more question for the original post that started this thread. Does that look like an NFL offensive line? I feel like our OL has held this team back. When I looked at your starting OL, my first impression was 8-8. I know you can only work with what there is to work with. But that scares me.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You bastards keep your dirty hand off my Sammie Hill you damn dirty cowboys!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
For all initial salary cap figures I used the compiled list in this thread:

Initial figures PRIOR to making any cuts or signings puts us at $147,596,344 or $26.6 million over the cap. With that in mind I'll dive right in :)

FIXING THE PROBLEM

Step 1. Re-negotiate Miles Austin to an amenable amount.
*Note* Not a full restructure we cannot afford to push anymore bonus money to the end of the contract. He either takes a pay cut, which I predict, or he gets his papers. Approach Miles Austin and let him know he is a vital part of the team but not for his cap hit. Guarantee him money through 2014 in exchange for losing salary off the back of the contract.
New 2013 Cap number - $2,355,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $5,947,000 Austin will walk, no way he accepts a pay cut.

Step 2. Cut Doug Free: Designate Free as a June 1st cut
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,175,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,000,000 Now the team is absolutely desperate for a new RT.

Step 3. Cut Jay Ratliff: After June 1st
Cowboys attempt to renegotiate (i.e. paycut) but Jay refuses. Combined with his lack of "team support" while injured - Eaton actually approached the organization to find out if he was suspended as he was not on the sidelines with his teammates and his blow up with Jerry it's hard to see him around at if a suitable replacement is found.
New 2013 Cap Number - $3,000,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $4,000,000 Now we need a 2 gap DT plus a 1 gap penetrating DT.

Step 4. Restructure Brandon Carr's Contract
Convert Carr's $14,300,000 2013 Salary to a $10,000,000 signing bonus, plus a $4,400,000 salary
New 2013 Cap Number - $8,900,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,400,000 He'll never agree and has no reason to renegotiate.

Step 5. Negotiate a New 5-year Contract for Tony Romo
Get Romo to sign a new $85 million contract
Include a $25 million signing bonus, plus a $2.5 million first year salary
Include $40 million guaranteed (2nd year salary of $13.5 million guaranteed)
New 2013 Cap Number - $12,818,833
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $4,000,000 I like it but what does his contract call for now because he will never accept a pay cut this late in his career.

Step 6. Restructure Jason Witten's Contract
Convert Witten's $5.5 million salary to a 4.5 million signing bonus, plus a $1.1 million salary
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,500,000
2013 Cap Savings - $3,500,000 Probably looking for a raise not a pay cut.

Step 7. Designate Josh Brent NFI (Non-Football-Illness)
Total 2013 Cap savings $575,000

Step 8. Restructure and extend DeMarcus Ware's contract
Convert Ware's 5.5 million salary to a $4 million signing bonus, plus a salary of $1.6 million
New 2013 Cap Number - $9,321,750
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $2,900,000 I doubt he accepts any type of a pay cut.

With these 8 steps, the Cowboys can reduce the 2013 salary cap charge to $112,274,344.

Additional cost cutting measures:

Cut Phillip Tanner
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $555,000

Cut Donavon Kemp
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $480,000

Cut Lawrence Vickers
New 2013 Cap Number - $100,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $1,100,000

Cut Dan Connor
New 2013 Cap Number - $1,350,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $1,650,000

Cut Marcus Spears: After June 1st
New 2013 Cap Number - $1,050,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $950,000

FINAL cap number prior to FA / Draft::::::: $107,539,344 ($13,360,656 in cap space) = Figure $6,000,000 for the rookie pool leaving $7360656 for free agency

Remember, when you cut frindge players, they must be replaced as well as any other players cut and other team's FA are always more expensive.

FREE AGENCY

L.P. Ladouceur: Resign (~750,000 per year) - Best LS we've ever had. Period.
Sammie Hill (1,500,000 2013 cap hit) - 4-3 NT we'll need a hoss in the middle as all as our line is in desparate need of a little beef.
Ernie Sims: 1 year 750,000 - Veteran backup at LB.
Phil Costa: (715,000 2013 cap hit) - Depth and competition at center
Anthony Spencer: Resign (6 years - $38,000,000 (see Ahmad Brooks with more guaranteed and less incentives): 2013 Cap hit $3,000,000 - Creative cap work to give Dallas two agile, intelligent DEs to fit the Tampa-2. Will need to be creative for run defense however with two light ends.

I doubt we are in the market for any expensive FA's, the cap $$$'s aren't increasing for the first time in a long time and teams who are over the cap will really have to struggle to get under. In the past, the increase in the cap $$$'s got teams like Dallas off the hook but not this year.

Remaining Cap Space: $6,645,656

Whew - Checked all the boxes and came in with $645,656 under the cap including the incoming $6,000,000 rookie wage pool. Not bad.

DRAFT:
Cowboys TRADE the 18th pick in the NFL draft to the Bills/Jax/Philly in exchange for the 2nd (~40th) and 5th (~140) selections in the 2013 draft and their first round selection in the 2014 draft. (Almost carbon copy of the JP Losman trade in 2004).

Would be a very smart move cap wise but I seriously doubt Jerry does it for 2 reasons. He likes to see the Cowboys get a lot of publicity on draft day and this draft is so deep, equal talent can be had in round 2 and there are possible starters through round 4, so why make the trade although I like the suggestion.

2T)Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Dallas is waifer thin at DE in the new 4-3 scheme even with Anthony Spencer retained. Hunt offers an EXTREMELY high ceiling and fully capable of wreaking havoc from any spot on the defensive line. Kiffin is going to get a strong voice in the draft room and a pressure player on the front 4 is likely to be the object of his affection.

Hunt is not a cover 2 DE, Kiffin prefers them small and quick/fast.

2)Dallas Thomas, G/RT, Tennessee
Dallas waits less than a minute to walk the card up for a player of the same name Mr. Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee. Cowboys plan to kick him over to RG after he successfully transitioned from LT to LG during the 2012. He had no problems dealing with elite NFL prospects playing against the top DTs in the class from the SEC.

3)DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina
After missing out on Kenny Vaccaro in the first and watching Reid and Thomas taken off the board prior to their second selection in the 2nd round Dallas is ecstatic for landing Swearinger. A rangy yet physical safety capable of ball-hawking as well as delivering the bone jarring blows he is an EXCELLENT fit for Kiffin's incoming scheme.

4)David Bass, DE, Missouri Western
Raw but incredible athlete. Honestly would of loved him regardless of scheme (3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE). For as quick and fluid as he is at 265lbs he could be an absolute nightmare of passing downs.

5t)Zach Line, RB/FB/H-Back, SMU
Dallas nabs the slipping Zach Line who doesn't have an NFL position by modern convention. A quick interview with Jerry Jones reveals the 'Boys are interested in using him as as a power back/FB combo and utilizing his excellent hands and blitz protect. After the unsuccessful utilization of traditional lead-blocking FBs Line is much more athletic and adept to pass catching while still being no slouch in lead blocking and protection.

5)B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary
Extremely quick and fast. Elite recovery speed. Undersized and projects to play inside at CB.

6)Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR, Utah State
Explosive, excellent lateral ability and balance, great hands, packed into a small frame. Obvious weakness lies with his diminutive frame however is a willing blocker.

Primary UDFA / Trade for 7th Rounder: Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan
Carder will slip due to being injured the latter half of the season but he has all the tools to become an NFL starting QB. He's played through injury, team captain, and has a live arm. He has a knack for keeping plays alive by moving his feet but also has a reputation of forcing throws. Dallas takes him to groom as their, inactive, 3rd QB this season.

Primary UDFA: Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut
Projected to be the 4th TE and has a chance to make the 53 based on special teams play and ability to block. Griffin is an active and able blocker more committed seemingly than some of his UCONN teammates. Has the size and ability to be a large red zone target as well.

FINAL ROSTER:

OFFENSE (25)

QB (3)
Tony Romo
Kyle Orton
Alex Carder

RB (3)
DeMarco Murray
Lance Dunbar
Kerwynn Williams (KR/PR)

FB (1)
Zach Line (Power RB/FB/H-Back)

WR (5)
Dez Bryant
Miles Austin
Dwayne Harris
Cole Beasley
Danny Coale

TE (3)
Jason Witten
James Hanna
Ryan Griffin

OT (3)
Tyron Smith
Jermey Parnell
Darrion Weems

OG (4)
OG - Nate Livings
OG - Dallas Thomas (Will also backup OT)
OG - Mackenzy Bernadeau
OG - David Arkin

OC (3)
Ryan Cook
Kevin Kowalski
Phil Costa

DEFENSE (25)

DE (5)
DeMarcus Ware
Anthony Spencer
Margus Hunt
Tyrone Crawford
David Bass

DT (5)
Sammie Hill
Jason Hatcher
Sean Lissenmore
Ben Bass
Brian Price

LB (6)
Bruce Carter (WLB)
Sean Lee (MLB)
Alex Albright (SLB)
Kyle Wilbur (Backup to SLB)
Ernie Sims (Backup to MLB/WLB)
Caleb McSurdy

CB (5)
Brandon Carr
Morris Claiborne
Orlando Scandrick
B.W. Williams
Sterling Moore (Backup FS)

S (4)
Barry Church (SS)
Gerald Sensabaugh (FS)
DJ Swearinger (FS)
Matt Johnson (FS/SS)

ST (3)
PK - Dan Bailey
P - Chris Jones
LS - L.P. Ladouceur

Total (53)

Just about completed. Will polish and flesh out some of the draft picks and make it prettier but I'm beat. Numbers SHOULD be correct but after making last minute changes they be a tad off. I will check the math again at some point.

Thoughts?
Team's top priority in this scheme would be a penatrating DT whose chief priority would be to rush the passer.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 02-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Team's top priority in this scheme would be a penatrating DT whose chief priority would be to rush the passer.
Most of your points made me laugh so I'll be more then happy to explain how restructurings work. Unless specifically noted as a pay cut restructuring just changes WHEN the player gets his money not IF the player gets his money.

So for Carr, Witten, and Ware they are converting their massive salaries to BONUSES which they receive immediately. Teams make these moves all the time to clear cap space in years they are above the cap.

As far as some of your other points I'll address them. Free agents after the first week or two are typically veteran minimum types looking for work. If you look at my numbers I really only targeted lower end FAs.

If you look up the average Monte Kiffin strong-side end you actually see a slightly bigger end around Tyrone Crawford size ;) I'll be more than happy to link you if you disagree.

In this situation Sammie Hill will be the 1-tech (NT) and Jason Hatcher will be the 3-tech. Hatcher can certainly 3-tech without issue and Lissemore can spell him as well. I fully understand Kiffin's cover-2 and will happy link you to more sources to fully explain gap responsibilities and Monte's average size for each position if it would make it easy to give me feedback.

As far as the offensive line HEISMANHERSCHEL I certainly agree. This was my first run through and the trade down really hampered my ability to select any of the top guards. I'll be posting another one now that the all-star games are out of the way and I can tell you already that it has a MUCH more offensive-line oriented approach and adds a more interesting cut.

Broth <3 :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Most of your points made me laugh so I'll be more then happy to explain how restructurings work. Unless specifically noted as a pay cut restructuring just changes WHEN the player gets his money not IF the player gets his money.

So for Carr, Witten, and Ware they are converting their massive salaries to BONUSES which they receive immediately. Teams make these moves all the time to clear cap space in years they are above the cap.

As far as some of your other points I'll address them. Free agents after the first week or two are typically veteran minimum types looking for work. If you look at my numbers I really only targeted lower end FAs.

If you look up the average Monte Kiffin strong-side end you actually see a slightly bigger end around Tyrone Crawford size ;) I'll be more than happy to link you if you disagree.

In this situation Sammie Hill will be the 1-tech (NT) and Jason Hatcher will be the 3-tech. Hatcher can certainly 3-tech without issue and Lissemore can spell him as well. I fully understand Kiffin's cover-2 and will happy link you to more sources to fully explain gap responsibilities and Monte's average size for each position if it would make it easy to give me feedback.

As far as the offensive line HEISMANHERSCHEL I certainly agree. This was my first run through and the trade down really hampered my ability to select any of the top guards. I'll be posting another one now that the all-star games are out of the way and I can tell you already that it has a MUCH more offensive-line oriented approach and adds a more interesting cut.

I don't think that is exactly correct the way you put it. As far as what I understand, when players restructure their contracts, their base salary is lowered and turned into bonus, but they don't receive that bonus "immediately". Since base salary + bonus are both counted against the cap, that wouldn't make sense as a way to clear cap.

What happens is the base salary money that is converted to bonus gets prorated over the remaining term of the contract.

ie:

John Doe
2013: $7,000,000 - Base Salary | $1,000,000 - Bonus = $8,000,000 Cap Hit
2014: $8,000,000 - Base Salary | $1,000,000 - Bonus = $9,000,000 Cap Hit
2015: $9,000,000 - Base Salary | $1,000,000 - Bonus = $10,000,000 Cap Hit

In this scenario, John Doe only has $3M in guaranteed salary because of the signing bonus.

Restructures contract for 2013.

2013: $1,000,000 - Base Salary | $3,000,000 - Bonus = $8,000,000 Cap Hit
2014: $8,000,000 - Base Salary | $3,000,000 - Bonus = $9,000,000 Cap Hit
2015: $9,000,000 - Base Salary | $3,000,000 - Bonus = $10,000,000 Cap Hit

His 2013 Base Salary is reduced by $6M. That $6M is prorated over the remaining 3 years of his deal. That equates to $2M each year added to the existing $1M that he was already expecting.

Now, John Doe's guaranteed money is increased from $3M before restructuring to $9M after restructuring. So that's why he does it.

What it sounded like you were saying was this:

2013: $7,000,000 - Base Salary | $1,000,000 - Bonus = $8,000,000 Cap Hit

turns into

2013: $1,000,000 - Base Salary | $7,000,000 - Bonus = $1,000,000 Cap Hit

Maybe I was wrong in interpreting you, but that's what I thought.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I have some thoughts on FA but just want to get my draft thoughts down for now. I'll come back to this to update FA thoughts.

But the big story I need to solve first is what to do with Anthony Spencer. While I think Spencer played at a top 5 level last year...it was a contract year and we have guys on the roster that can play his spot at SDE (crawford/hatcher). I'd attach a buyer beware with Spencer although he has been solid...I feel like the on/off switch is on too much for me to give him a new 5 year deal paying him at the top.

Now that leaves another hole to fill during the draft. But like I said above...I'm ok with losing talent level at SDE in Kiffin's scheme. I'd much rather invest our FA dollar into a premier 3 tech. I think finding an interior rusher is our top priority this offseason. Our DT depth was thin last year...moving to a 4-3 makes us thinner. Add the fact that our #1 and #2 DT's from last year have been cited for DWI in the past 6 months. If anyone thinks there is a bigger need on this team they need to do some serious reevaluation. We don't have a 1-tech or a 3-tech at this point week one. Ratliff will have some type of suspension...so right away we have a hole on the DL week 1. I'd like to take care of this ahead of time. This is my reasoning for letting Spencer go.

Instead of paying Spencer lets invest in a premier 3-tech. The top guy is Henry Melton. For those that don't know him he is a former RB. Has only been playing defense since hsi Jr. year at Texas. He's 26 years old coming off his best year. Although he was on a talented DL in chicago he was 3rd in the league in sacks for DT. He's had 13 sacks in the past 2 years...that is the type of production we are going to need to make Kiffin's defense work. As far as how much it's going to cost...I'd think last years DT was Red Bryant and he signed a 5 year 35m contract with 14.5 garunteed. I could see us doing something like 5 year 40m and I'm not sure he'll even be an option but until he resigns with Chicago I'm not going to assume we don't have a shot.

I always like to start off looking at the weight of the draft. Find which positions we can find later vs. what positions we need to address earlier.

Our Needs
DT - 3 Tech
S
OG/C
DT - 1 Tech
RT

coming back to finish this later
Not ready to say Ratliff will miss games because of his arrest. Michael Turner and Marshawn Lynch both got arrested last year for DUI and neither missed any games. We thought they were, but they didn't.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The change I mentioned about how teams overcame their being above the cap in the past, by relying on a substantial cap increase to solve most of their problems, just isn't going to happen this year and teams that are above the cap could possibly be facing a far more serious problem than they faced in the past and could be forced to really have to take a knife to their roster. Just pointing out a real possibility.

Your right on here.

For years, Kiffin used Simeon Rice 6'5", 268, and Greg Spires 6'1", 265 as his DE's during the Tampa 2's best years but I agree, later he used at least one larger DE as his LDE.

in this is situation Sammie Hill will be the 1-tech (NT) and Jason Hatcher will be the 3-tech. Hatcher can certainly 3-tech without issue and Lissemore can spell him as well. I fully understand Kiffin's cover-2 and will happy link you to more sources to fully explain gap responsibilities and Monte's average size for each position if it would make it easy to give me feedback.

I really question whether or not Hatcher can handle the position of a penatrating 1 gap DT.

The draft isn't going to be easy for Jerry, that's for sure. The OL needs help but a remake of the defense is also going to require substantial changes. A Tampa 2 defense requires special Safeties who have the speed to cover half the field and Tampa 2 Safeties are often required to be stronger than the CB's on the team who are often used in zone schemes. Why didf he waste all that money on man to man CB's and then switch to a scheme where they wiull likely play a heck of a lot of zone where toughness is more a requirement than coverage???? Just asking!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The draft isn't going to be easy for Jerry, that's for sure. The OL needs help but a remake of the defense is also going to require substantial changes. A Tampa 2 defense requires special Safeties who have the speed to cover half the field and Tampa 2 Safeties are often required to be stronger than the CB's on the team who are often used in zone schemes. Why didf he waste all that money on man to man CB's and then switch to a scheme where they wiull likely play a heck of a lot of zone where toughness is more a requirement than coverage???? Just asking!!!!
Kiffin already stated he won't be switching to full-on off-man zone schemes that mismatch current personnel. Both Claiborne and Carr thrive playing at the line and will be staying there. You can easily very easily disguise coverages through use of press-man and press-zone (aka press and bail). Carr and Claiborne fit "press and bail" to a T. Expecting Dallas to move them completely off the line to play off-zone would be foolish.

I do agree that mobile safeties are needed and preferably ones that can separate the ball from the receiver. One player to keep an eye on is Matt Johnson. He was injured all of last year but kept on the 53 so the staff sees something special. I thought he was MUCH more suited to moving toward to the receiver than he was in a turn-and-go format of coverage so I think he'll thrive in the Cover-2 if he can get healthy.

Keep an eye on Houston's recently CB-to-S conversation success Glover Quin. He should be a mid-level FA and I feel would be an excellent fit to play FS in a Cover-2 scheme. He's been a successful CB and had success playing SS for Houston last year. In the draft I love Vaccaro but I can't look past the guards in the first round due to what I see has a HUGE drop-off in talent. Reid, Thomas, and Swearinger all fit for what I'm looking for as other projects I'm keeping an eye on after the first round.

As for the contracts thanks D! I was typing fast and heading out the door when I added that part in. Originally I didn't have anything about the contracts. Great thing about it for someone like say Miles Austin you can not have it termed as a "pay cut" but turn it into incentives, roster bonuses and the like.

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Man, my mock is seriously getting outta hand. Started off small but has grown into a monster that nobody will want to read. lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
The draft isn't going to be easy for Jerry, that's for sure. The OL needs help but a remake of the defense is also going to require substantial changes. A Tampa 2 defense requires special Safeties who have the speed to cover half the field
you sure about that, i mean wouldn't safeties need more speed and range to play in man scheme where they have to not only cover man to but whoever plays the centerfielder have the speed to play from the middle all the way to the sideline vs starting from hash to to the sideline
Quote:
Tampa 2 Safeties are often required to be stronger than the CB's on the team who are often used in zone schemes. Why didf he waste all that money on man to man CB's and then switch to a scheme where they wiull likely play a heck of a lot of zone where toughness is more a requirement than coverage???? Just asking!!!!
claiborne and carr are big corners and they still will press at the line and they can still play 2 man under vs just always the zone too
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Yeah, canadian... we already had these panick attacks and Monte came to quickly explain that he'll make adjustments to his scheme. Having strong man cover corners will only make his defense stronger.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
You bastards keep your dirty hand off my Sammie Hill you damn dirty cowboys!
I didn't really follow Sammie Hill last season.. was he really that good?

How much do you think he'll cost?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

well he was on the lions defense last i'm not sure anyone was really good on that defense last year, i don't envision him getting a monster deal anywhere

i'm probably gonna put a mock offseason and i have the cowboys taking montori hughes in the 5th rather than signing a free agent
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
well he was on the lions defense last i'm not sure anyone was really good on that defense last year, i don't envision him getting a monster deal anywhere

i'm probably gonna put a mock offseason and i have the cowboys taking montori hughes in the 5th rather than signing a free agent
I wouldn't mind Hughes in the 5th, but he's definitely not a 3 Tech.

When are you planning to release your mock? I have one as well and don't really want to steal attention away from each other.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

When are you planning to release your mock? I have one as well and don't really want to steal attention away from each other.
Quote:
Hughes originally signed with UT in January 2008, but failed to qualify academically. He spent several months at Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia, before enrolling at Tennessee in January 2009.[5] Hughes had bulked up from 275 to 310 pounds in little over a year, and emerged as one of UT's most talented defensive freshman (alongside defensive backs Janzen Jackson and Darren Myles). He was expected to play in Tennessee's season opener on September 5, 2009. Unfortunately, Hughes was dismissed from the football team on June 9, 2011, by head coach Derek Dooley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montori_Hughes

I'm not quite sure he fits into the JG mold, especially if Dooley is hired.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post

Hah. What a find. I never made that connection. Funny how a player could be quickly taken off the board based on input from a new coaching hire. But yeah, our coaches should end up having a lot of input.

I feel the same way about Da'Rick Rogers.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

for now ratliff is the projected starting 3 tech and hatcher and crawford also some could help out as a backup 3 tech and as the base end if spencer leaves and lissemore could provide some depth at those positions as well, but no one the roster has the beef to be the shaded nose and hold down that spot

idk when i'm gonna come out with my next mock, i know who i'm taking rounds 4-7 but i keep changing the 2nd and 3rd

could you explain the cap-o-nomics btw straight up cut and post jun 1st cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post

well gene smith the former gm of jacksonville was all about that rkg stuff and drafting HEAVILY on character, how did that work out for him, if hughes can prove during the interview process that he's matured as a person and he's want to be great football player, the cowboys should take a look at him in the 4th or 5th, after all its a talent acquisition business

dooley shouldn't have that much say on whether or not to draft a guy, he won't be coaching him and its jg butt on the line not his

parcells wasn't shy about taking flyers on guys in the later rounds with character issues IF THEY COULD PLAY, in the fifth its hard to find many guy that can compete for stating jobs

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 02-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
for now ratliff is the projected starting 3 tech and hatcher and crawford also some could help out as a backup 3 tech and as the base end if spencer leaves and lissemore could provide some depth at those positions as well, but no one the roster has the beef to be the shaded nose and hold down that spot

idk when i'm gonna come out with my next mock, i know who i'm taking rounds 4-7 but i keep changing the 2nd and 3rd

could you explain the cap-o-nomics btw straight up cut and post jun 1st cut

well gene smith the former gm of jacksonville was all about that rkg stuff and drafting HEAVILY on character, how did that work out for him, if hughes can prove during the interview process that he's matured as a person and he's want to be great football player, the cowboys should take a look at him in the 4th or 5th, after all its a talent acquisition business

dooley shouldn't have that much say on whether or not to draft a guy, he won't be coaching him and its jg butt on the line not his

parcells wasn't shy about taking flyers on guys in the later rounds with character issues IF THEY COULD PLAY, in the fifth its hard to find many guy that can compete for stating jobs
I could be wrong because it's been a long time since I did the research, but basically...

If a player is cut before June 1st, then the total remaining Signing Bonus is paid up front and counted towards the following year's cap total.

If a player is cut after June 1st, then the total remaining Signing Bonus is prorated.

ie. If Ratliff is cut now then our cap savings for 2013 will be $1M because his cap hit is $7M ($5M base + $2M SB) and he's owed $6M (total remaing SB owed).

If he is cut after June 1st, then our cap savings for 2013 will be $5M because his cap hit is $2M ($0 base = $2M SB) and he's owed $2M in each of the next 3 years (totaling $6M). The $2M each year is counted against the cap as dead money in each of those years.

link to ratliff's contract:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jay-ratliff/

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-01-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Hill was good at what he was asked to do. He was the Lion's best run defender but I don't think he fits well in the T-2.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Hill was good at what he was asked to do. He was the Lion's best run defender but I don't think he fits well in the T-2.
Yeah, we got run stuffers. We need interior pass rushers. ...sorta... kinda... depends on Ratliff being healthy and Crawford taking the next steps in his development. Plus a big part of me thinks Hatcher will be a bigger playmaker in this system.

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.