Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I agree...this year was a time for growth, next year we need results. We have seen the flashes, now its time for the fireworks.

For what it's worth, I am not just raw raw, he's my guy. I have been pretty critical of Bradford at times, especially in year 2. But I think he is finally at a place where the game has slowed somewhat, and he is starting to feel comfortable taking charge of a game.
I hope he develops. He was my favorite web prospect since Eli so I was very big on him.

Lets see what he can do next year.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I have to agree. I think we are going to see Sam Bradford have a coming out party next season.
I think Sam will improve his numbers to something like 63% completions, 4100 yards, 7.4 ypa, and 25 td's, with only 10 int's, and a passer rating in the high 80's. Not Pro Bowl numbers, but in the top 10-15.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
You obviously don't know what has been going on in this thread.

A segment are just saying 'Smith sucks'

Others are looking at the stats and giving context to stats with impressions of what they have seen in games as well.

And with your endorsement of this stat you have to defend the output it gives of Smith compared to other QB. It says Smith was 10 best QB when he played in 2012. Do you think he was? I'm guessing that number doesn't tell the whole story?

It is what some have being doing here. Like 'Smith gets a lot of stat boosts from YAC'. Partly true and I showed it wasn't extreme for him and obviously YAC help is true for almost everyone to different degrees.

That stat info has a nice summary that should be all pages.
Stats are a good jump start to a discussion and help frame things but they are far from being near to what they are worth in baseball.
Dude. I've already said in this thread that Smith has played like a top 15, maybe Top 10 QB since Harbaugh showed up. So, yeah, I kind of do think he was. I've also repeatedly said that I think a good enough team can get to a Super Bowl with Alex Smith, just like the 49ers almost did last year.

None of that means I think he did well before Harbaugh showed up, or that he'd be "better" than Jay Cutler if they changed places.

Last edited by WCH : 02-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just curious, when are teams allowed to start trading after the super bowl?

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Just curious, when are teams allowed to start trading after the super bowl?
At the opening of free agency, I think around the middle of March. It used to be March 1, but starting last year they moved the date back a couple of weeks.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just curious if Alex Smith was a member of this draft class all things considered ie what you'd have to pay him, age, and current NFL experience what where would you draft him?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm just curious if Alex Smith was a member of this draft class all things considered ie what you'd have to pay him, age, and current NFL experience what where would you draft him?
Considering Weeden went in the first last year and a team (my team) was dumb enough to draft him there, you would have to think late first as well.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Considering Weeden went in the first last year and a team (my team) was dumb enough to draft him there, you would have to think late first as well.
I'd agree with that.....I never could figure out how and why Weeden was a 1st round pick.
Was that Holmgren the Walrus making that decision?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I'd agree with that.....I never could figure out how and why Weeden was a 1st round pick.
Was that Holmgren the Walrus making that decision?
It was someone panicking and hoping to god he turned out well. We could have probably waited to the second round as well for him...

Luckily our second round pick, Schwartz, ended up being a hell of a right tackle.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The hell with the Ravens . 49ers havent been here in 12 years or so its our time. Go 49ers!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
The hell with the Ravens . 49ers havent been here in 12 years or so its our time. Go 49ers!!!
18 years, brother.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The answer to this question is.....
Kansas City.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
The answer to this question is.....
Kansas City.
Problem is that Alex Smith is going to have to be traded for. Are the chiefs going to really spend a first and second round pick on a QB? I say Hells naw.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Problem is that Alex Smith is going to have to be traded for. Are the chiefs going to really spend a first and second round pick on a QB? I say Hells naw.
I don't think that the demand for Smith will be that great. It wasn't last season. I expect Smith, Flynn, and Fitzpatrick to drive eachothers prices down.

I could be wrong though. Flynn and Smith had no very strong suitors in FA last season, but that was a much better QB class.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Smith is not going to bring back a second round pick. Sure as hell not the Chiefs second round pick. With a better contract he could probably get a mid to early third. Being set to make $8.5mm next year, he probably won't bring back a thing. He's not in high enough demand to give up a high pick and pay him that. The 49ers certainly aren't going to pay him $8.5mm to be a backup. Teams will just wait until he's cut and then try their luck to sign him.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Smith is not going to bring back a second round pick. Sure as hell not the Chiefs second round pick. With a better contract he could probably get a mid to early third. Being set to make $8.5mm next year, he probably won't bring back a thing. He's not in high enough demand to give up a high pick and pay him that. The 49ers certainly aren't going to pay him $8.5mm to be a backup. Teams will just wait until he's cut and then try their luck to sign him.
This accentuates my point QBs in the top 10-15 in the league command at least a first round pick if not a first and second. Alex isn't going to be worth half that value.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Smith + entire draft to Jets for Revis.

Doooo it.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This accentuates my point QBs in the top 10-15 in the league command at least a first round pick if not a first and second. Alex isn't going to be worth half that value.
I think he's in the range of 17-22. But the problem is that he is what he is at this point in his career. No rebuilding team is going to give up a high pick for that, and there isn't any contender that's an Alex Smith away from the Super Bowl. He's just not a guy you give up part of you future for.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar
To be fair though. How many have been traded? One(Jay Cutler). And the 9er's are in a position where every team in the league KNOWS Smith's cap hit for next year. They know San Fran will cut him if no takers come in so there will need to be a balance there. There is no way a team is going to throw a first round pick out there for a player that is almost a 100% certainty to be cut. No matter how good the man is. (Peyton Manning is a GREAT example of this last year.)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Why not? Because we might sign Alex Smith? That didn't stop the 49ers from drafting a QB, but it'll stop the Chiefs from doing the same?
Why waste the #1 pick on a position you just filled that would be a waste of a pick. You could use that pick to fill another need not pick a QB who may not even be your starter. You could even pick a QB later or if Smith does not work pick a QB next year when there is better quality QB.
49ers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
To be fair though. How many have been traded? One(Jay Cutler). And the 9er's are in a position where every team in the league KNOWS Smith's cap hit for next year. They know San Fran will cut him if no takers come in so there will need to be a balance there. There is no way a team is going to throw a first round pick out there for a player that is almost a 100% certainty to be cut. No matter how good the man is. (Peyton Manning is a GREAT example of this last year.)
That is a different situation for Peyton he got cut to save tons of cap space no such problem exists with Smith. Carson Palmer also garnered a first and a second (not saying he is a top 10-15 QB mind you)

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Kaepernick is getting paid next to nothing right now. The 49ers could easily keep Smith on the roster. Having only around $9 million tied up in the QB position with two pretty good QBs is not a problem in my eyes.

Of course, to keep Alex Smith on the roster would be kind of a jerk move by the 49ers.

Regardless, is $8.5 million a lot for a starting quarterback if he were traded?
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was someone panicking and hoping to god he turned out well. We could have probably waited to the second round as well for him...

Luckily our second round pick, Schwartz, ended up being a hell of a right tackle.
Just think about it... You took Weeden over ryssel Wilson....typical Cleveland browns moment.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Just think about it... You took Weeden over ryssel Wilson....typical Cleveland browns moment.
You took Gaines Adams over Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis, etc, etc, etc.

We gonna do that one for every team?
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers1984 View Post
Why waste the #1 pick on a position you just filled that would be a waste of a pick. You could use that pick to fill another need not pick a QB who may not even be your starter. You could even pick a QB later or if Smith does not work pick a QB next year when there is better quality QB.
If we sign Alex Smith then drafting a QB #1 wouldn't be a waste. Alex Smith is awful, and he has fluctuated between awful and decent. Any team signing him without a young franchise caliber signal caller to sit behind him for a year is making a huge mistake.

Alex Smith is a one year rental for the Chiefs.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote