Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

with all our holes on D, we can't go around letting potentially cheap starters, at guard of all spots, go walking or look for their upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
with all our holes on D, we can't go around letting potentially cheap starters, at guard of all spots, go walking or look for their upgrades.
We also can't sign bad contracts just bc either. That only leads to more problems. Look at it this way, whether you sign him back or not, you're still hoping to upgrade from him either way. So is it really a big deal if he walks?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We also can't sign bad contracts just bc either. That only leads to more problems. Look at it this way, whether you sign him back or not, you're still hoping to upgrade from him either way. So is it really a big deal if he walks?
I said cheap option, I'm not saying we throw 4+ mil at Kevin freaking Boothe. If he stays cheap for a year or 2 as a stop gap and lets us focus on replacing our ancient and porous D, isn't that worth it? Also saves us from using $$$ on an outside guy or a draft pick
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I said cheap option, I'm not saying we throw 4+ mil at Kevin freaking Boothe. If he stays cheap for a year or 2 as a stop gap and lets us focus on replacing our ancient and porous D, isn't that worth it? Also saves us from using $$$ on an outside guy or a draft pick
It is. Which is why I want him back if he's cheap. I'd still try to replace him if I could, even if we bring him back though.

Like if we're up to pick, and OG is significantly higher grade then any defensive player when we pick then I'm taking the OG even if we sign Boothe. He doesn't stop me from looking to upgrade the position is what I'm saying.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I also think we should sign Ellerbe in FA if he doesn't re-sign in Baltimore. Williams and Ellerbe on the outside would be a good duo.
I'd rather get Erin Henderson
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Believe it or not I like these potential cuts and changes. It's going to make us a younger team. It's refreshing actually, and exactly what we need to do. JR is not loyal to a fault like Coughlin and he knows that in order to be competitive we have to hit the reset button. I feel like we hit our peak with this group of players. Do I recommend roster overhaul? No, but some of the excess fat has to go even if they are productive like Webster and Bradshaw, even Cruz if he wants top 3 WR money.

I can wash my hands and be done with Bradshaw, Boley, Webster, and Canty even if they were cogs to this team they easily replaced. So many cheaper options are available even Glenn Dorsey would probably be a lot cheaper than Canty and give us the same production, if Rivers re-signs he gives us exactly what Boley did (BIG IF, if he stays healthy), and Bradshaw can already be replaced in house with Brown and Wilson and possibly a late round pick/UDFA. The only guy I would make an effort to restructure or give a new contract to is Webster, although Amukamara looks like he's going to have to step up and be the top corner Webster can still be a solid #2 and I don't think he would be easily replaced unless we go corner in round 1 (I think Hosley is going to be strictly a slot guy.)

On another note Cruz wanting top 3 WR money is laughable... he is a good player but god damn is he over rated. Nicks is so much better and more important than Cruz, its a shame he has a hard time staying healthy. If he demands that money I let him go and I take Robert Woods round 2, rich man's Steve Smith (Our Steve Smith).
I am thinking along the same lines

I would be ok if we cut Diehl, Webster, Canty and Bradshaw

These guys all have value and can contribute but our issues are big contracts for ageing players.

As for Cruz wanting elite money, that's not going to happen. I think we will end up putting the top RFA tender on Cruz, do either he plays for us relatively cheaply (possibly after a holdout) or we get a first round pick.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Its difficult to gauge Cruz's worth bc his skillet is different from your traditional WR who plays on the outside. He's the best slot WR in the game hands down. Maybe Percy is better but he can't stay healthy. And Cruz can play on the outside too. And we also have to remember that contracts are relative. It's gonna look worse than it really is bc he's on the market and other guys aren't. That's how free agency works.

But at the same time, he's gotta bring his price down. You have a chance to play in NY where the endorsements are high and you get to play with Eli while setting up your post football career in the biggest market in the country while staying close to home. Why wouldn't you take a little less than what say KC can offer you to play here? It makes a lot more sense to stay and play here for like 1 mill less a season vs somewhere else. You'll make that money back and some.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Bradshaw and Canty cut. I like what were doing. It's the right move. I would like Canty back on a cheaper deal if possible but I'm ok with this move regardless.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I like this too, we are shedding some big contracts and getting younger and healthier.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

We need to draft someone awesome this year. My only current giants jersey is Phillips and who knows if he's gonna stay or not
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be interested if we re-sign Bradshaw or not. If not I think it really shows we have a lot of faith in Wilson. Bradshaw cut, Brown coming of injury, Scott pretty meh. To me it says a lot.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the list is now...

Boley
Bradshaw
Canty

I have to admit the Bradshaw one stings. However, this is the business side. I will always have fond memories of him as a player. He was an injury prone player who was still productive for us. He was a warrior who played hurt with both ankles. That's pretty amazing!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

This also makes DT a legitimate round 1 possibility. Not thrilled with the idea of it but its entirely possible.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
This also makes DT a legitimate round 1 possibility. Not thrilled with the idea of it but its entirely possible.
I think it has been for a while. If we don't address it in the first 2 rounds (without signing a guy or 2) then I'll be a little more than peeved.

Kawan Short in the 2nd would be dreamy at this point
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DT is so tough. For me a DT MUST have a great motor. That's the only way I would consider drafting them in round 1. Would much rather prefer to address it in the second round though.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, we cut Boley, Bradshaw and Canty today. If Brown is anything like he was before the injury I think him and Wilson splitting carries with a rookie for depth would be great. I love Bradshaw, but he just isn't the same and he was just taking away carries from Brown and Wilson. I wish him the best. As for Canty, he was injured too often and never lived up to his contract, if we can get him back cheap I'm all for it, but if not it's whatever we need to start re-building in the trenches anyways. Boley is the only one that shocked me, I think that we will definitely be looking for a new WILL in FA or the draft since I don't trust Paysinger at all.

I need to start scouting Sheldon Richardson more, because I like what I have seen so far, and he now looks like he could be a big possibility at 19 if he is there

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man, I hope it's not a DT. I mean BPA and what not, but we have to go OL. And why is David D. still on the team? I'd get rid of him before of Bradshaw.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Its difficult to gauge Cruz's worth bc his skillet is different from your traditional WR who plays on the outside. He's the best slot WR in the game hands down. Maybe Percy is better but he can't stay healthy. And Cruz can play on the outside too. And we also have to remember that contracts are relative. It's gonna look worse than it really is bc he's on the market and other guys aren't. That's how free agency works.

But at the same time, he's gotta bring his price down. You have a chance to play in NY where the endorsements are high and you get to play with Eli while setting up your post football career in the biggest market in the country while staying close to home. Why wouldn't you take a little less than what say KC can offer you to play here? It makes a lot more sense to stay and play here for like 1 mill less a season vs somewhere else. You'll make that money back and some.

I want Cruz back if at all possible, but we can't break the bank to sign him.

I was thinking that something akin to Stevie Johnson's deal that he signed with the Bills last year is the ball park where a deal could be done:

For reference Johnson's contract from Rotoworld 3/5/2012: Signed a five-year, $36.25 million contract. The deal contains $18.05 million guaranteed,
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Marvin Austin, it's time to put your big boy pants on.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Oh man, I hope it's not a DT. I mean BPA and what not, but we have to go OL. And why is David D. still on the team? I'd get rid of him before of Bradshaw.
I don't think we are done with cuts yet and expect we are also trying to rework deals.

There is plenty of DT talent in the draft this year, it doesn't have to be round 1
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

you know what the bradshaw cut means...

WE COULD DRAFT JAWAN JAMISON :D
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Sheldon Richardson is starting to grow on me. I wasn't a fan at first but he's growing on me. If we can get that type of pass rushing DT in the 2nd that would be great.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
I think that we will definitely be looking for a new WILL in FA or the draft since I don't trust Paysinger at all.
Jaquain Williams is a WLB, with Paysinger backing him up we are solid at WLB.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sheldon Richardson is starting to grow on me. I wasn't a fan at first but he's growing on me. If we can get that type of pass rushing DT in the 2nd that would be great.
No way he is there in the 2nd. He is exactly the type of guy you would like. Watch him vs Baylor a year ago when they had RG3:
Kid is constantly hustles to the ball and doesn't stop until he hears a whistle

And this year vs Alabama probably gives you the best look at how he will fair against NFL OL:

I think with his motor and the right coaching he will be a stud

Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Jaquain Williams is a WLB, with Paysinger backing him up we are solid at WLB.
I could have sworn Williams was a SAM, but you could be right. If so then we could use a new SAM since I'd like to move Kiwi to DE a lot more this year.