Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default gpngc Mock 2-6-13

Looking for feedback.

01. Kansas City Chiefs: Dee Milliner
I won't be shocked if Andy Reid chooses one of the QBs here but after preliminary work on all of them (besides Matt Scott), I just can't predict they'll take a leap of faith to invest such a valuable pick to turn a turd into gold. I don't know exactly what they'll do about QB, but I think the wisest move would be to either delay acquiring the future at QB or take your chances that one of the guys they might like will be there at No. 33. Yes, you generally don't want to wait on a QB, but given this unique situation where the QBs are all such flawed prospects, I think the "if you'd take him at 15, you'd take him at 1" argument changes to "if you'd take him in the 3rd, you'd take him at No. 33." I don't know if that makes sense. Not to mention, the marquee year for "if you like him, take him no matter how high" was 2011 when the three teams to do this ended up with Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker. That same year, the Bengals and 49ers both selected top non-QB talents at the top of their drafts and took a QB they liked later on (the 49ers even trusted their evaluation against the rest of the league's perception of Kaep, took Smith at No. 7, waited it out, and pounced on a trade up to get him at No. 36). In 2008, the Ravens didn't just take Joe Flacco at No. 8. They moved down to get more picks and then back up to secure him at No. 18. Reid is a heck of a QB coach. With the way this class shakes out, I'm not sure the best idea wouldn't be to see who's there at No. 33 (or maybe even the 3rd) and add another developmental guy (think Cousins/Wilson picks last year) later on. It's a tough situation.

If they choose to let Albert walk and make the very lateral and frustrating move, I think Joeckel/Fisher is the pick. If not, I think it's Milliner, who is being overlooked as probably the best CB prospect in years. Simply put, he's got literally everything you look for in an impact, shutdown CB. Assuming slight concerns about his long speed are alleviated by a sub-4.5 forty, the only thing he'll have to work on is his ball skills. The Chiefs have a lot of talent and sometimes the draft isn't as much about plugging in needs as it is building on a strength. Teaming up Milliner with Flowers (and Berry) would give them a top secondary to go along with a good pass rush.

02. Jacksonville Jaguars: Damontre Moore
03. Oakland Raiders: Bjoern Werner
04. Philadelphia Eagles: Star Loutelei
05. Detroit Lions: Luke Joeckel
06. Cleveland Browns: Jarvis Jones
07. Arizona Cardinals: Eric Fisher
08. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib

This is very cliche, but I wouldn't be surprised if it really happened. Marrone and co. would downplay interest and then shock everyone on draft night. Stupider things have happened. And I would not be in favor of this pick, but I think it's possible.

09. New York Jets: Ezekiel Ansah
10. Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack
11. San Diego Chargers: Lane Johnson
12. Miami Dolphins: Kenny Vaccaro
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Barkevious Mingo
14. Carollina Panthers: Isaiah Trufant
15. New Orleans Saints: Sheldon Richardson
16. St. Louis Rams: D.J. Fluker
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Tyler Eifert
18. Dallas Cowboys: Shariff Floyd
19. New York Giants: Alec Ogletree
20. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Cooper
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Manti Te'o
22. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Eddie Lacy
23. Minnesota Vikings: Keenan Allen
24. Indianapolis Colts: Margus Hunt
25. Seattle Seahawks: Cordarrelle Patterson
26. Green Bay Packers: Dion Jordan
27. Houston Texans: Tavon Austin
28. Denver Broncos: Jonathan Hankins
29. New England Patriots: DeAndre Hopkins
30. Atlanta Falcons: Tank Carradine
31. San Francisco 49ers: Xavier Rhodes
32. Baltimore Ravens: Aaron Dobson

No Geno Smith in the first round:

Folks, I've seen the Geno Smith story before. It's come in all different shapes and sizes. A guy whose production/pedigree/perception simply doesn't translate for various reasons to NFL people. He slides, someone gets him later than expected, the draftniks scratch their heads, and years later we all realize the warning signs were obvious.

The slide has come from guys who were supposed to be No. 1 contenders (Clausen, Quinn, Leinart, Brohom) and guys who had so much damn potential we thought (Omar Jacobs, Andre Woodson). Smith may not fall to the 2nd. And someone may fall in love (I doubt the Chiefs at 1 but anything is possible). But do not be surprised to see another media/stats/draftnik-driven QB hype train crash in the late teens, 20s, or worse.

Last edited by gpngc : 02-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote