Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will have the more successful NFL career
Geno Smith 47 49.47%
Matt Barkley 31 32.63%
Honestly, I would bet that BOTH guys are ultimately "irrelevant of not busts all together". 17 17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who Will Have A Better NFL Career: Geno or Barkley

Here's your chance to publicly go on record here.

These 2 QB's are pretty polarizing.
Many love or hate each guy.....

But if you were to put YOUR $ now on one of these guys, which one would it be: Who has the better NFL career? Simple as that.
Not who gets drafted higher, whatever. Just when all is said & done, who has the better career in the NFL.

Both guys could wash out.... become Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, etc.
Could they become Donovan McNabb or Rodney Peete?
Rich Gannon or Matt Leinart?

Who you put your money on?
I feel this might be pretty close among you guys. Maybe not.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...-smith-podcast
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno for me and it isn't close. Not at all.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

soooo dependent on where they go

i like barkley a bit more though
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
soooo dependent on where they go
This. But out of the two I like Geno better. I have a feeling if Barkley fails then the USC QB is going to go the way of the Penn St. RB.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barkley is going to be better because he is going to fall farther and not going to be relied on to play soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Geno will be a very good starting QB in the NFL so I'll go with him.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm picking Barkley

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

whichever one goes to the packers an learns from Rodgers
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Depends if Geno gets mentored properly he could be a good QB. I am not sold on Barkley though.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OSUgiants & Azhais with the biggest balls so far.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't think Barkley will ever be healthy enough to start in the NFL.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really interested to see where Barkley lands. The Chiefs are gonna try their darndest to make Geno work though and I think Reid could make him better than he is as a prospect right now. The Geno vote has to be clear dominant majority, but I enjoy going against the grain when I at least have a fighting chance. Go Barkley Go! I'm gonna keep my vote with the minority here.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that it is all dependat on where they both go.

I also don't see either as a top 5 QB at any time in their NFL careers.

If Geno goes to KC they have some talent to work with. He will have a strong running game and a great offensive line, especially early in his career. The receiving options aren't terrific but not horrible either.

If Barkley goes to Arizona then he will struggle early. Sure the receiving options are better than KC but the line is a mess and there isn't much of a running game, plus Bruce Arians' offense isn't exactly the type of offense which provides QBs with "safe" throws and formations.

If Barkley goes to Buffalo I think he will seriously struggle. The weather will have a huge impact on a guy who doesn't have a strong arm.

Overall I think the odds favour Geno, both in terms of his skillset and where he will end up, however I wouldn't be shocked if Barkley becomes a very good QB in the NFL

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think mechanically barkley is very much like brees, i think hed be better off going later in the draft. I think hed be PERFECT for the patriots, but they already have mallet even if they have no intentions on keeping him long term.

The better the team he goes to the better the player hes going to be. I have him ranked higher than i had bradford, sanchez, and ponder, but not quite as high as clausen, locker and freeman....which in retrospect means nothing since i loved clausen lol

Honestly it would infuriate me but steelers at 17 could be possible
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My money is on Geno. Not a huge fan though.

Barkley has really soured on me. He's like a middle class Jimmy Clausen.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
OSUgiants & Azhais with the biggest balls so far.
I'm also leaning in their direction, but I want to study Geno some more before I write him off.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Barkley does not have an NFL arm. He's a backup qb in the NFL. Geno at least has potential to become one. So I'd gamble on Geno hoping that I can groom him to become a capable franchise qb.

This is the question: Would you risk taking Geno in hopes of having a franchise qb? Or do you go safe and take Barkley who's ceiling is Andy Dalton at best, a guy who can win some games but ultimately will have limitations that will hold your franchise back?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
My money is on Geno. Not a huge fan though.

Barkley has really soured on me. He's like a middle class Jimmy Clausen.
Don't see the Barkley to Clausen comparison from an intangibles standpoint so I don't like that one. Other than they were both top preps, I don't know a lot of things they are similar in either.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Matt Barkley does not have an NFL arm. He's a backup qb in the NFL. Geno at least has potential to become one. So I'd gamble on Geno hoping that I can groom him to become a capable franchise qb.

This is the question: Would you risk taking Geno in hopes of having a franchise qb? Or do you go safe and take Barkley who's ceiling is Andy Dalton at best, a guy who can win some games but ultimately will have limitations that will hold your franchise back?
What did you think about Peyton Manning's arm this year? You're overrating arm strength. It's not the end all you make it to be. Lot of guys with strong arms don't make it in the NFL.

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What did you think about Peyton Manning's arm this year? You're overrating arm strength. It's not the end all you make it to be. Lot of guys with strong arms don't make it in the NFL.
And lots of guys who don't have arms don't make it either. It's irrelevant pointing that out as part of the discussion on Barkley. It doesn't hide the fact that he can't make all the throws and that will limit him in the NFL. That can't be argued, it's fact.

And let's not compare Peyton's decision making, anticipation skills and release to that of Barkley, bc they're not even close in comparison.

Think of it this way D-Unit: Pointing out that a top 5 qb of all time is recently playing well with limited arm strength has very little relevance in this discussion. Bc Barkley isn't ever going to be anywhere near that in his career.

There's a reason why scouts care about arm strength. If it wasn't necessary it wouldn't be weighed so heavily. It matters. It matters a lot.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
One could argue that Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time. You can't compare the two of them. Peyton excels in pretty much every single area except arm strength. Matt Barkley can't claim that.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That is such a terrible argument.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Barkley has awful mechanics. His footwork isn't very good and he appears fairly slow-footed. He would have to also reinvent his throwing motion to get more zip on the ball (but luckily, he will probably have the time to do that). On paper, I would think of him as a less serviceable Tyler Wilson. But, he has some big wins under his belt, he's level-headed, and I think he has what it takes to will a team to victory (mentally).

For right now, I would take Geno Smith. I think he's safely the best QB prospect in this class. He can make some throws that no other QB in this class can [consistently] make. He's not perfect though, and I think he's more of a system QB. Of course, if he went to KC, that would seem to work out just fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And lots of guys who don't have arms don't make it either. It's irrelevant pointing that out as part of the discussion on Barkley. It doesn't hide the fact that he can't make all the throws and that will limit him in the NFL. That can't be argued, it's fact.

And let's not compare Peyton's decision making, anticipation skills and release to that of Barkley, bc they're not even close in comparison.

Think of it this way D-Unit: Pointing out that a top 5 qb of all time is recently playing well with limited arm strength has very little relevance in this discussion. Bc Barkley isn't ever going to be anywhere near that in his career.

There's a reason why scouts care about arm strength. If it wasn't necessary it wouldn't be weighed so heavily. It matters. It matters a lot.
Of course it matters. I'm saying scouts are too quick to overrate it. They see it and it's like nothing else matters. Like they can fix the rest. But over and over again, these guys bust.

If people were knocking Barkley for other things than just arm strength, then let's hear it. If that's ALL, then that's not enough for me to label him a bust or a crappy QB.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
One could argue that Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time. You can't compare the two of them. Peyton excels in pretty much every single area except arm strength. Matt Barkley can't claim that.
Point is arm strength is just arm strength. Alone it doesn't make or break a QB. Obviously, Peyton has attributes that make up for it, but I'm not comparing him to Barkley. I'm using him in an example about arm strength.

Classic evil vidae.