Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Franchise Quarterback least likely to win Superbowl as Starter
Matt Ryan 5 6.25%
Andrew Luck 1 1.25%
RG III 1 1.25%
Russel Wilson 1 1.25%
Matthew Stafford 12 15.00%
Colin Kaepernick 1 1.25%
Andy Dalton 36 45.00%
Cam Newton 7 8.75%
Matt Schaub 16 20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
But doesn't u knowz? Teh arm strengthz is the easiest thing to fix!

I'd link to that thread, but I'm sure you saw it.
Lol, I saw it. Barkley sucks.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I don't expect RG3 to be healthy enough to do so

:\
This is pretty much where i'm at. I just don't see him completely overhauling his game and staying healthy. Forget that turf there in D.C. also, it's terrible. Not sure a QB in a WR body is going to work in the NFL.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I a lot of RG IIIs passing success had to do with the read option. I still question how he will fair WHEN he has to become a pass first qb. Sorry but this gimmick will get figured out soon. It's good to have wheels for a qb but know when to use them as your 2nd threat. Not first.

I question his ability to stay healthy as well. He's built like mike Vick. Frailer and not as thick as a Russell Wilson type player.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RGIII wasn't a great passer on 3rd and long when he wasn't calling a read option play. Out of the read option he was a nightmare, unbelievable talent. But he has a long way to go as a pure passer.

Luck, Wilson, even Kaepernick were all significantly more advanced as pure throwers than RGIII.

That doesn't mean that RGIII can't develop into a great passer. I would be shocked if he didn't. He just has to stop throwing his body around and he'll be fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
RGIII wasn't a great passer on 3rd and long when he wasn't calling a read option play. Out of the read option he was a nightmare, unbelievable talent. But he has a long way to go as a pure passer.

Luck, Wilson, even Kaepernick were all significantly more advanced as pure throwers than RGIII.

That doesn't mean that RGIII can't develop into a great passer. I would be shocked if he didn't. He just has to stop throwing his body around and he'll be fine.
Even when Vick reigned it in some he still got smacked in the mouth throwing out of the pocket. I just don't see him holding up and he's already working on his second knee injury in the last couple of years.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Even when Vick reigned it in some he still got smacked in the mouth throwing out of the pocket. I just don't see him holding up and he's already working on his second knee injury in the last couple of years.
To be fair, RGIII is bigger than Vick, has a faster release, reads defenses better and is smarter with the football.

It's when he scrambles, that's when he gets himself in trouble. But I think that's correctable.

Even if you take away all his scrambling ability, the guy has the arm strength, quick release, and accuracy to be a very good qb in the NFL. He's not dependent on his mobility, it's just an added dimension that makes him lethal.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is Tony Romo in this??? That dude is NEVER gonna win a SB.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But doesn't u knowz? Teh arm strengthz is the easiest thing to fix!

I'd link to that thread, but I'm sure you saw it.
The maturity is strong in this post.

What's funny is you think it's impossible to do.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The maturity is strong in this post.

What's funny is you think it's impossible to do.
I never once said it's impossible. Arm strength itself can be improved, but the changes are not substantial.

What's funny is that you think they are.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I never once said it's impossible. Arm strength itself can be improved, but the changes are not substantial.

What's funny is that you think they are.
No, I fully believe that there are limitations for how much you can improve. If you're skinny and have short arms, it's gonna be way more tough on you than if you're a big guy with long arms. Obvious stuff is obvious. Lots of things are involved in it from body type, arm length, core strength, strength in your base, how you use your body to generate torque, body flexibiiltiy, throwing mechanics, brute strength and on and on. Obviously a lot of that is God given, but if you're committed to improving it there are ways to get better.

Intangibles like background/character, intelligence, competitiveness, motor, leadership, etc... if you don't got it now, it's too late to get it.

Height, speed, athleticism... you're just born with it. I put arm strength easier to improve than all of it. You keep saying that I said it was the easiest thing to do, but I never said that. Just poor comprehension on your part.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Character and intelligence is overrated. If you can't throw the football, I don't care if you're the smartest man in the world with the best work ethic ever. You're not gonna do **** in the NFL.

Big Ben is a moron who rapes people. He also throws lasers down the field.

Fitzmagic is a smart dude with great character and work ethic. He sucks.

So I'll take the dumb rapist who can throw lasers.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Character and intelligence is overrated. If you can't throw the football, I don't care if you're the smartest man in the world with the best work ethic ever. You're not gonna do **** in the NFL.

Haha.

I'll take Tom Brady, you take Giovanni Carmazzi. :D

This thing will spin in circles. There's every kind of bust you can think of. Character is not overrated. It's a broad term. If you relate it to gangster character then yes, that is overrated. If you relate it to competitive character, then no it's not.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I fully believe that there are limitations for how much you can improve. If you're skinny and have short arms, it's gonna be way more tough on you than if you're a big guy with long arms. Obvious stuff is obvious. Lots of things are involved in it from body type, arm length, core strength, strength in your base, how you use your body to generate torque, body flexibiiltiy, throwing mechanics, brute strength and on and on. Obviously a lot of that is God given, but if you're committed to improving it there are ways to get better.

Intangibles like background/character, intelligence, competitiveness, motor, leadership, etc... if you don't got it now, it's too late to get it.

Height, speed, athleticism... you're just born with it. I put arm strength easier to improve than all of it. You keep saying that I said it was the easiest thing to do, but I never said that. Just poor comprehension on your part.
Quote:
Yeah, I can go on. Feel free support your claims for Geno as well. So far, his favorite defenses all draw down to everyone else not being the guy. Nobody likes saying he is the guy because he can do this and that.

I fully believe Barkley's game is tailor made for Andy Reid's WCO based system. He's been doing it for so long, playing for Reid would be like going to Football Graduate School for him. ...and trust me.... Kiffin's Flex WCO is sooo inferior compared to Reid's it ain't even funny. The job Kiffin is doing at USC... I mean just watch it... the plays, playcalling and product he puts out there is just yuck. He's lucky he has had talent and lucky that he's a good recruiter cause he's a bad coach.

Geno will have a much more raw start in that system. Heck, it might start as basic as taking the ball from underneath center. He already rattles under pressure... and doesn't have the frame to take the punishment either, btw... but if he has to think about his footwork instead of thinking about what's going on the field... it's gonna be tough sledding.

Barkley isn't without flaws, but the main flaw is arm strength and that is a quality that is the easiest thing a QB can fix. Plus, anyone who cared to notice knew that Barkley's arm was stronger this season. Up until this season, Barkley actually showed great improvement year to year, which was a strong trait scouts admired. I feel like he's gotten that classic "overanalyzed senior prospect" thing going against him. Obviously USC as a whole failed to live up to expectations which is another knock against him, but that should be a story more about the team than Barkley as a prospect.

"I never said it's the easiest thing he can do, but it's the easiest thing he can do."

...and you characterize it as easy enough to fix for it to justify having a weak-armed QB who can't make all of the throws come off the board first.

Last edited by Monomach : 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Character and intelligence are not overrated. It's the same thing with size. Just because Russell Wilson is 5'10 and good doesn't mean that we should stop judging QBs by their size. We still want our QBs to be 6'4 because their chances of success are higher. And yes, Roethlisberger is an idiot scumbag. But we shouldn't discount character and intelligene because one guy did well. The vast majority of NFL QBs are more intelligent and better behaved than the average NFL player. Not every dumb (or short) QB will bust. There is just a vastly greater chance of a smart, high character QB succeeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

"I never said it's the easiest thing he can do, but it's the easiest thing he can do."
Bravo. You caught me in a post I guess, but I know what I think. There's a lot of things you can't fix, but arm strength isn't one of them.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bravo. You caught me in a post I guess, but I know what I think. There's a lot of things you can't fix, but arm strength isn't one of them.
Little problem we can't see what you think, just what you write.
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Matt Stafford.

He's not even good. No Calvin Johnson and he's David Carr 2.0.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford is highly inconsistent but you give Carr a guy like Megatron and I bet the house he doesn't have a 5,000 yard/40 TD season.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some people still think Andy Dalton is a franchise quarterback?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Some people still think Andy Dalton is a franchise quarterback?
More so than Matt Schaub
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Matt Stafford.

He's not even good. No Calvin Johnson and he's David Carr 2.0.
I don't know about that, Carr still had Andre Johnson....
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Schaub has a real good team right now. He has a fairly decent chance of winning one in the next 3-4 years to me. He might be the worst of these guys, but his team is one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Russell Wilson, but I think the size thing will catch up to him once he's no longer to be as mobile.

But Matt Schaub is the least likely. His best chance was this year. They can't get past the AFC powers. They'll never get to that level with him, it seems. The Texans are the new Chargers.

lol. I didn't see Stafford on the list. Change my pick.

Last edited by nepg : 02-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
Stafford is highly inconsistent but you give Carr a guy like Megatron and I bet the house he doesn't have a 5,000 yard/40 TD season.
Is this pre- or post- Nam-level shellshock?

Post-, I agree. Pre-...he's better than Stafford.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Schaub and Andy Dalton are not franchise QBs so they should be excluded from this list. Dalton still has the time to become one. With that said I am going with RGIII for now unless he changes his play style if not he won't last long in this league because his knees will pretty much be shot. If RGIII does change his play style I would say Matthew Stafford just because I don't think they can win one with current ownership same thing goes for the Bengals.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote