Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I don't know if this is true, and this may be more of a Brent geared question, but is it true that Shakespeare isn't really a required reading as part of the core curriculum anymore? My professor says it hasn't been for quite a while and that, in fact, a lot of the classics that most of us read are no longer required but are put on their because of the teachers preference. Maybe it varies from state to state but I'm just curious.
depends on the state and grade level.

technically, I am teaching a skill, not a text; so, instead of Romeo and Juliet, maybe I want to use another play. The idea being that the student can read dramatic texts and, as an example, understand the effect on stage direction with regards to the playwrights' message.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Indeed. That's a lot of what we're covering now. It's one of my first education classes. My professor is pretty passionate about using young adult lit to convey much of what the classics attempt to teach.

For example, we read verse novels this week as a better means to teach poetry which I found really enjoyable. Right now I'm just working on buying quite a few YAL books so I can put them away for my class library.

Next week we're doing graphic novels as a means to get people who generally dislike reading more interested in it. A lot of them are pretty awesome and informative. They seem to get bad wrap as literature but they're fun and informative.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Indeed. That's a lot of what we're covering now. It's one of my first education classes. My professor is pretty passionate about using young adult lit to convey much of what the classics attempt to teach.

For example, we read verse novels this week as a better means to teach poetry which I found really enjoyable. Right now I'm just working on buying quite a few YAL books so I can put them away for my class library.

Next week we're doing graphic novels as a means to get people who generally dislike reading more interested in it. A lot of them are pretty awesome and informative. They seem to get bad wrap as literature but they're fun and informative.
I wrote an entire paper last semester on the evolution of the graphic novel as a viable form of pedagogy moving forward. That was cool.

In other news, marking still sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am likely going to be teaching a class as an adjunct this fall. It should be fun.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I am likely going to be teaching a class as an adjunct this fall. It should be fun.
What school?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
What school?
St. John's. No, you may not take my class.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
St. John's. No, you may not take my class.
Haha, I will if I want. We can talk about sports and stuff after class. In all seriousness, that's awesome. I hope you get it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Haha, I will if I want. We can talk about sports and stuff after class. In all seriousness, that's awesome. I hope you get it.
I will eventually get one. It's just a matter of whether or not there is an opening for something that fits my schedule (night class, ideally in Manhattan). Should be fun though, especially if it winds up being DNY.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just did a presentation on graphic novels in my literacy class. Had a lot of freedom with my topic on that one, but the idea was essentially the same. It went over quite well.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
I just did a presentation on graphic novels in my literacy class. Had a lot of freedom with my topic on that one, but the idea was essentially the same. It went over quite well.
Get out of my brain.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would consider a graphic novel "a marriage of art and literature" more than I would just "literature".

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well, it has all the elements of literature, save for imagery... because, you know.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
well, it has all the elements of literature, save for imagery... because, you know.
That is my point. Part of literature, in my expert opinion, is being able to project that imagery through words only as opposed to delivering it up front through pictures and not making the reader create their own visual interpretation of certain story events.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
That is my point. Part of literature, in my expert opinion, is being able to project that imagery through words only as opposed to delivering it up front through pictures and not making the reader create their own visual interpretation of certain story events.
That's not necessarily true though. Literature is essentially expressing ideas, whether that is done historically, biographically, or through graphic and writing techniques it contributes to the same end which is simply expression.

Pictures/illustrations just offer a different from of narrative (in addition to text). You can tell stories in different ways. Not only that but just because something has a visual element to it doesn't mean a person can't have their own visual and creative interpretation from it.

Although I wasn't really trying to make that point. I just like the fact it's an easier way to get kids to read. They have Romeo and Juliet in graphic novel form. Not only that but it is presented in two formats: the actual text as well as "American English" or plain text. They are the exact same books, with the exact same pages. The beauty of that (to me) is not only do you get away from conventional Shakespeare, which in my experience the vast majority of students dislike, but you are able to cater to different levels of readers in your own class room without embarrassing them or singling them out. To me that's awesome.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
That's not necessarily true though. Literature is essentially expressing ideas, whether that is done historically, biographically, or through graphic and writing techniques it contributes to the same end which is simply expression.

Pictures/illustrations just offer a different from of narrative (in addition to text). You can tell stories in different ways. Not only that but just because something has a visual element to it doesn't mean a person can't have their own visual and creative interpretation from it.

Although I wasn't really trying to make that point. I just like the fact it's an easier way to get kids to read. They have Romeo and Juliet in graphic novel form. Not only that but it is presented in two formats: the actual text as well as "American English" or plain text. They are the exact same books, with the exact same pages. The beauty of that (to me) is not only do you get away from conventional Shakespeare, which in my experience the vast majority of students dislike, but you are able to cater to different levels of readers in your own class room without embarrassing them or singling them out. To me that's awesome.
I must have missed that time we discussed Latin prefixes and "lit" having to do with the written word as opposed to "scrib" and the act of writing itself. I guess i get those words literature and scribble mixed up still.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Haha, well despite the knock on graphic novels, they do incorporate quite a bit of writing. The illustrations and pictures are just another medium for storytelling that can help people who don't like reading or quite frankly, struggle with reading. Plus they're just a fun way of breaking up the monotonous nature of Shakespeare.

I definitely plan to implement it in my class room.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I would consider a graphic novel "a marriage of art and literature" more than I would just "literature".
I guess we're tossing out William Blake, huh...Charles Dickens too. Arthur Conan Doyle, as well.

All three are canonical authors whose works were originally published with illustrations. Dickens was even serialized, not unlike a contemporary comic book.

There's no legitimate argument against the graphic novel as a verifiable genre of literature. Especially when you factor in that we don't live in a print era anymore. There's a ton of study that proves the way humanity, and especially children, interact with culture is changing. As sad as it is to say, print isn't enough anymore. We're hyperstimulated now, and the graphic novel is a genre of literature that reflects that.
Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I'm really excited not only about graphic novels as interactive books, but at various other new forms of interactivity in literature and books.

http://www.amazon.com/Meanwhile-Pick.../dp/0810984237

I recently ordered that book and plan to use it in my classroom. It's like a pick your adventure book "on crack" as my professor described it. It does more than just get you to think about words on a piece of paper. It gets your mind thinking creatively. There are so many ways to use something like this. Writing assignments, fun reading, and the literature and storytelling components that are very much apart of the book.

There are a lot of books that require you to get on the internet and solve riddles or use various other formats to express creativity and challenge students minds. Diamond Willow is another example of this. Essentially a verse novel that creates images with the words and has poems with in the poems.

I'm a huge fan of some classics. I can't wait to teach To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Macbeth, etc. That's fun. But to me, and this is especially true with high school students, but my main goal is to get them reading and enjoying it. To get them writing and enjoying it. The primary time frame that individuals (especially males) give up reading is in high school. I know personally I stopped reading for a while. It was only after I started reading for fun that I had the want, desire and ability to learn about the classics.

Also, I just wanted to point out I was just soap boxing. Not directing it at CJ by any means. I'm just excited to get in the classroom and teach.

Last edited by Forenci : 02-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I guess we're tossing out William Blake, huh...Charles Dickens too. Arthur Conan Doyle, as well.

All three are canonical authors whose works were originally published with illustrations. Dickens was even serialized, not unlike a contemporary comic book.

There's no legitimate argument against the graphic novel as a verifiable genre of literature. Especially when you factor in that we don't live in a print era anymore. There's a ton of study that proves the way humanity, and especially children, interact with culture is changing. As sad as it is to say, print isn't enough anymore. We're hyperstimulated now, and the graphic novel is a genre of literature that reflects that.
"With illustrations" and completely comprised in a comic book style are two completely different items. I am not against the graphic novel. The lexil score of the average graphic novel is slightly above that of the average local newspaper. If you want to put the graphic novel as its own genre, that's fine. It should be as it is apples and oranges when compared to many other genre's. Forenci, I certainly didn't take your reply as anything personal. The fact that you are excited to get into your own classroom lets me know you are going to do well.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I get to use The Road next year. Suck it, bitches.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I get to use The Road next year. Suck it, bitches.
Haha sweet. Do you have a class library that you're able to utilize for your students?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so. uhm. how do I get jobs?

where do i find job openings? Like...do I just google? I'm looking around for jobs now and insert I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING meme here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

where do i find job openings? Like...do I just google? I'm looking around for jobs now and insert I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING meme here
I would put feelers out to as many schools and school districts as you can. That's my plan once I begin my Masters Teacher programming in the fall. I have one district I really want to work in. Also, if you have any contacts in the school system that may be worth investigating.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

Does the state not have a site where schools post their openings? Otherwise check out individual districts and the job opportunities they have.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Work as a substitute as consistently as possible in one or two schools. Openings usually start to show up in the early spring, and if people know you, it can help. Subbing also gets you experience, which really is the most important thing when applying for jobs.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote