Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Speaking of guys they let get away, I'm still sad about John Abraham. He's been a beast for so long now. The Falcons really missed a healthy version of him there in the playoffs.

So what you're saying is that you think a 1st and a 2nd is the absolute ceiling? Personally, I wouldn't believe that to be the case. How would people feel about a 1st and a future 1st? I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

But what you say is completely true. No matter what the picks are, he has to land good ones. But really, it won't matter so long as he fields a winner, so just in general, Idzik has to put together a solid team in the next 2-3 years. I do believe though, at least with the early picks, that that'll mean they'll try to go with as "safe" of picks as possible, so at least from my perspective, you can probably rule out players like Jordan and Mingo.

Also, if, hypothetically, we did lose Revis, what do you think the chances would be of losing Cromartie as well? Would anyone be for that?

No, I don't think that would be the ceiling. I meant that it actually could be a starting point if multiple teams offer that much. As for losing Cro, it looks like anything is possible at this point. The idea of the Jets targeting what they would view as "safe" picks would probably be smart in any situation. But like you said, Revis might not go anywhere. This is going to be real interesting to follow for awhile though.

On another note, did anyone see the reports on Lattimore, and how his recovery is going better than expected? The thinking he is that he is a day 3 pick. If I'm the Jets, and building for 2 to 3 years down the road, I'd make that pick. Maybe rest him for 2013.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The potential to deal Revis is interesting. Depends how many teams are in the market for him, really. Right now it seems like a lot, but will that be the same when they start talking contract with him?

To me, the real issue with Revis is Cromartie. Supposedly Revis wants 16 million a year. Lets say they bring him down a bit and get him to 14. Cromartie makes like 9. So that's 23 million, nearly 20% of the cap, tied up in two corners. There's no legit quarterback on the team and they still need to fill 20 starting spots and a bench with like 80% of the cap. Corners are important and great for the scheme, but they cost a ton.

Ultimately it's a choice between a couple of different things, assuming you can re-sign him for around 14 million a year. Do you want Revis (who is coming off an injury) or a first round pick, a second round pick, and probably a little over 10 million in cap room? That ten million could be spent on a really good player or some solid players. It's unknown, but there is serious upside there, given last year without Revis secondary play was good enough.

On the other hand, maybe a nicer scenario is keeping Revis for that big money and trading Cromartie for a day 2 pick. There you've got a choice between Revis (still coming off an injury) and a day 2 pick or Cromartie and 5 million in cap room. Personally I'll take Revis and the day two pick every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But that's assuming you can lock him up at that price and Cromartie is tradeable for that kind of an asset. I do think that having them both for all that money is excessive though.

We'll see, it'll be interesting how things shake out. If a lot of teams are interested in Revis maybe they can get a great haul for him. Would certainly make mock drafts a lot more interesting and would go a long way towards helping the offense. I'm not as concerned with the defense given the current scheme and strength up front. Add a pass rusher, maybe two, and a quick mid-round corner to play in the nickel and they'll be fine. The offense is terrible.

EDIT: Realized Revis-Cromartie example was bad because you'd have Cro, 5 million in cap room, a first round pick, and a second round pick. Much tougher call in that case.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-25-2013 at 10:12 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

16m per season? Oh lord!

2014-2016 would be 19m per season toward the salary.. No good.

Revis has to go. Try to get 2 picks before 4th round at once.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 01-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I keep hearing all this talk about how the JEts are going to be in such a bag cap situation, but from where Im sitting, it looks like it will be a one year problem, if that. Doe the 20 mil over the cap that everyone keeps citing include the 12 mil that will come off when Jason Smith is cut? Unless Im misunderstanding things, I also thought Sanchez could be cut after the next season with much lesser cap implications. On top of that, Bart Scott can be cut whenever and same goes for Calvin Pace. Cutting those guys doesn't even phase me because of their average performances. I think both scott and pace make somewhere from 7-8 mllion. Correct me if Im wrong please, but to me this sounds like a ton of overreacting by the media.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cap situation in general is a ton of media overreacting. I do think the concerns about fielding a good team with 25 million/year tied up into two corners is legitimate though.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Cap situation in general is a ton of media overreacting. I do think the concerns about fielding a good team with 25 million/year tied up into two corners is legitimate though.
Oh yeah, one has to go, and i think one has the highest value he may ever have again and the other is hopefully at the lowest. Id roll the dice on keeping Revis and seeing if there are any takers on Cro after a good year. I know the colts have tons of cap room and a need for a corner just as an example.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I keep hearing all this talk about how the JEts are going to be in such a bag cap situation, but from where Im sitting, it looks like it will be a one year problem, if that. Doe the 20 mil over the cap that everyone keeps citing include the 12 mil that will come off when Jason Smith is cut? Unless Im misunderstanding things, I also thought Sanchez could be cut after the next season with much lesser cap implications. On top of that, Bart Scott can be cut whenever and same goes for Calvin Pace. Cutting those guys doesn't even phase me because of their average performances. I think both scott and pace make somewhere from 7-8 mllion. Correct me if Im wrong please, but to me this sounds like a ton of overreacting by the media.

One year problem but Jets are on tight budget without about 8 starters. Some random players to fill those spots? ha! It would get worse if Jets trade Revis now. What a lousy 2013 season.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh yeah, one has to go, and i think one has the highest value he may ever have again and the other is hopefully at the lowest. Id roll the dice on keeping Revis and seeing if there are any takers on Cro after a good year. I know the colts have tons of cap room and a need for a corner just as an example.
I am with you good sir.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Obviously the metrics aren't perfect, but according to PFF the Jets' offensive line graded out third in the NFL. Everyone ended up above average. Time to beef up those offensive skill positions (and add a new left guard)?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

AH that is why nobody bothers to tell me where to find information about snap count.. It is stupid paid site. boo.

What kind of run blocking will be used in 2013? ZBS or MBS?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
AH that is why nobody bothers to tell me where to find information about snap count.. It is stupid paid site. boo.

What kind of run blocking will be used in 2013? ZBS or MBS?
Interesting article on what Mornhinwig might bring to the Jets. Sounds like he uses a good amount of zone in the run game. I wonder if McKnight might benefit from a scheme that potentially gets backs in space a little more.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/01/new...in-depth-look/
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Interesting article on what Mornhinwig might bring to the Jets. Sounds like he uses a good amount of zone in the run game. I wonder if McKnight might benefit from a scheme that potentially gets backs in space a little more.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/01/new...in-depth-look/

Slauson and Moore should be brought back. umm.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have reached out to Sanchez to possibly restructure. Or that's what a guy is reporting. That would be very Alex Smith (good) of him.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
We have reached out to Sanchez to possibly restructure. Or that's what a guy is reporting. That would be very Alex Smith (good) of him.
The restructuring wouldn't prevent him from receiving any money, moreso just transfer it to a bonus. He'd get more money up front, and who doesn't want their money quicker anyways, and possibly make it palatable for another team to take him on if his base salary is say $3 mill if they roll $9 mill to a roster bonus etc.

Either way, we're not going to be hindered by the cap this year, despite reports. Tanny was on record saying that despite what it seems, there is an already laid out plan that will give us cap space this year without sacrificing next year, the media just doesn't know about it. And this was regarding more than just cutting Pace, Scott and Smith. Who knows, but it is sure shaping up to be a busy off-season for us.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
The restructuring wouldn't prevent him from receiving any money, moreso just transfer it to a bonus. He'd get more money up front, and who doesn't want their money quicker anyways, and possibly make it palatable for another team to take him on if his base salary is say $3 mill if they roll $9 mill to a roster bonus etc.

Either way, we're not going to be hindered by the cap this year, despite reports. Tanny was on record saying that despite what it seems, there is an already laid out plan that will give us cap space this year without sacrificing next year, the media just doesn't know about it. And this was regarding more than just cutting Pace, Scott and Smith. Who knows, but it is sure shaping up to be a busy off-season for us.
So many teams have work to do under the cap, look at the stories that have come out about the RAvens and Pats. The PAts have around 6 players making a huge percentage of the cap and the ravens are in a similar situation. The Jets have several veterans making too much money like you said that will save a ton of money and I dont think their loss will hurt that much. Im sure theyll cut some people that will suck for us, but losing scott, pace, and one or two others won't be a big deal.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm not too concerned about the money situation. They'll cut some guys this year, then cut some guys next year. We are going to see some guys competing for and even winning starting jobs this season that I'd imagine nobody wants to see starting. Sanchez will probably at least be in the mix at QB, Powell I could easily see starting at RB next year, Ducasse/Schlauderaff at G, Cumberland at TE, McIntyre at OLB, Bush/Allen at S...

Unfortunately there isn't enough in terms of cap space/draft picks to find 2 new OLB's, G's, and S's plus a QB, a RB, a TE, keep guys like Howard and Cumberland, and get more explosive offensively/improve the passing game. Some stuff's going to have to fall by the wayside and I'd imagine those positions that don't carry as much value like G, S, RB, and TE are either going to get drafted late or ignored to allow guys currently on the roster opportunities to play.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, Idzik has made it a point that the Jets priority is to add play makers to the offense. With Percy Harvin on the block, possibly for a 2nd round pick, would you do that deal? Harvin has his red flags for injury concerns, and is in a contract year. But he defines "play maker" when he's on the field. Tavon Austin has been labeled "Harvin-Lite", and seen as one of the top offensive play makers in the draft. He isn't worth the #9 pick, and wont be there when the Jets pick in the 2nd. Wouldn't this kind of deal make sense if they could pull it off? Or how about a 3rd rounder and give them Holmes!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Out of curiosity, where have you seen Idzik say that? I know Bradway said it and I'm not at all surprised Idzik did as well.

The Harvin trade I doubt happens. Maybe with Tannenbaum around, but I think Idzik is going to make it a priority to build through the draft. He's not going to want to move picks, particularly during a rebuild, and the team's not really in a cap situation where they can afford to add Harvin's huge contract. Plus he has those red flags. Holmes doesn't add value to any deal either.

On the other hand I could see them targeting Patterson/Allen at 9, a TE on day 2 (if one of Eifert/Ertz slips to the second round pick, or they could go after a Escobar/Kelce both of whom are talented), and/or a RB like Gio Bernard or Joseph Randle.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where have you seen Idzik say that? I know Bradway said it and I'm not at all surprised Idzik did as well.

The Harvin trade I doubt happens. Maybe with Tannenbaum around, but I think Idzik is going to make it a priority to build through the draft. He's not going to want to move picks, particularly during a rebuild, and the team's not really in a cap situation where they can afford to add Harvin's huge contract. Plus he has those red flags. Holmes doesn't add value to any deal either.

On the other hand I could see them targeting Patterson/Allen at 9, a TE on day 2 (if one of Eifert/Ertz slips to the second round pick, or they could go after a Escobar/Kelce both of whom are talented), and/or a RB like Gio Bernard or Joseph Randle.

When I looked back at the article, I guess it wasn't Idzik who said it. Sorry about that. It should be a priority though.

Your points about Idzik building through the draft are right on though. Idzik has been quoted saying that the draft will be a "lifeline" for the Jets and the team will be "judicious" in free agency. With the way we have traded away picks under Tannenbaum, this would be a welcomed approach. A proven talent like Harvin would be hard to pass up though, for the cost a 2nd round pick. With the cap situation supposedly in good shape for the 2014 season though, and getting rid of Holmes at that point, it seems like it could happen. But like you said, most likely it wont. He'll probably go to the Patriots and he'll go off against us.

As for targeting Patterson/Allen with the 1st pick, I'd be all about that. However, I'd rather we trade down, get an extra pick and then grab one of them later in the 1st, not with pick 9.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Trading down would be awesome, but in a draft this weak I think it's easier said than done. Not sure what player a team is going to want to move up to 9 ahead of the Titans/Chargers for.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

And just like that, the jets cut a handful of meh and they are under the cap. That really was the disastrous mess that the media led everyone to believe.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
And just like that, the jets cut a handful of meh and they are under the cap. That really was the disastrous mess that the media led everyone to believe.

Yeah, lol, no kidding. They are still going to need to restructure some contracts to give them more breathing room. And the salary cap will most likely increase. Not sure when they release that info. But it appears that there are teams that are worse off then the Jets are (Baltimore/Dallas to name a couple). But, as always, the media likes to beat to death anything that makes the Jets look dysfunctional. I wish the off-season moved faster. I'm pumped to see what direction the Jets take with all the changes they've made in staffing.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I managed to convince my friends that while our cap situation is bad, it wasn't nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. Feels nice to be proven right.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
I managed to convince my friends that while our cap situation is bad, it wasn't nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. Feels nice to be proven right.
It might not be as bad as the media made it out to be but it's still pretty terrible. After today's cuts were $7 million under with only 10 starters from last year under contract. Most of that money will go to this years draft picks so we still need to restructure a couple of contracts just to be able to field a competitive team next year. I'm really looking forward to this years draft because we really can't afford to miss on our early picks, as we all know.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

All the guys we lost weren't that good. OTher than the potential losses of landry and yeremiah bell later on, there is no one that we cut that were huge impact makers. You make it seem like keeping starters from last year should be a priority...the team sucked.