Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I thought that was the essence of the Nascar package that won you guys two SBs. Maybe I am not getting what you're saying, can you explain?
I'll clarify as best I can:

The 4 DE DL (called 4 aces under Spags and Nascar under Fewell) were different in how they operated under both coaches.

Now both fielded 4 DEs on the field, but how they were used were a bit different. Spagnuolo always put Tuck in at DT bc Tuck has the skillet to thrive as an interior pass rusher, and he also used a lot of stunts and A gap pressure to free up space for our pass rushers to operate and use their speed to attack holes in the gaps.

To be a good interior pass rusher you need to be a good bullrusher with good leverage. Speed isn't as important an asset and can only be very effective if we stunt a lot to open up those gaps, which Spags did. (NOTE: I mean this from a DE perspective. Thin edge rushing DEs aren't gonna have the strength/speed combo you typically want in an interior pass rusher, and if you do move an edge guy inside, it's more important for him to be more of a strong player than speed guy bc the pure speed guys will just get stonewalled inside unless you draw up some creative stunts to free up those gaps)

However, Fewell uses the 4 man line a bit differently. He prefers to move guys in at DT with long arms, so you would see Kiwi and JPP line up in there. He did this because he felt that their long arms would disrupt throwing lanes and alter the trajectory of the ball.

He rarely if ever used stunts and games up front to free these guys up either, nor did he blitz behind the 4 DE line to open up some lanes.

So in essence, he took our best edge rusher in JPP who doesn't thrive inside bc he doesn't have great leverage and can't use his speed/strength combo inside as effectively as he could outside and neutered him into basically a ball swatter who can effect throwing lanes, and instead of moving Tuck to interior pass rusher where he actually thrives more than as an exterior pass rusher, he moves Kiwi inside to do the same. Kiwi, like JPP, is a much more effective edge rusher.

So while superficially they looked the same, they weren't. Fewell didn't use the concept properly in my opinion.

Sometimes you just have to keep it simple. JPP and Osi should have been on the edges every play, and Tuck and Kiwi inside with some games and stunts to free up the rushers. And some blitzes up the A gap to keep the Center busy and open up the interior.

JPP is hands down at his best at RE, but bc Osi would occupy that position, we had him play LE or DT a lot and it greatly effected his pass rush ability. I'd move Osi to LE on passing downs and keep JPP at RE at all times.

Think of it this way: You want your DEs to use speed to stretch those OTs out as much as possible, so the interior guys have 3 men to beat with a lot of space in btw them so they can use their speed to their advantage.

The best way to do this is have JPP and Osi on the edge, stretch those OTs out, and allow Tuck who isn't fast but is strong and Kiwi who can use his length to create separation to get into gaps, and throw in some blitzes to free them up more, or use games to use our speed on the DL to full advantage by beating guys around the loop.

Instead, by having Tuck on the outside, you don't stretch the OL out as much, and by having JPP inside, you compact the OL even more bc he'll draw the double inside instead of outside.

So you're not as effective with the front bc youre not stretching the OL properly.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 02-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote