Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I'm with you on wanting to fix this D.

I think this is probably a great time to ask the question:

If you ran the Raiders, how would you fix this defense in the offseason? Think in terms of cap, cuts, re-signings, free agency and draft.

I'm at work so I will make my post at lunch time.
Seymour, unsigned.

Kelly and Lechler, take the cap hit now and cut them.

Palmer, cut or traded.

Bryant and Wheeler, definite resigns.

Erase all memory of Matt Leinart.

Resign Myers to a REASONABLE contract if possible contract, if not, let him walk.

Draft: DT, DE, OG, RT, MLB, CB, S
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Seymour, unsigned.

Kelly and Lechler, take the cap hit now and cut them.

Palmer, cut or traded.

Bryant and Wheeler, definite resigns.

Erase all memory of Matt Leinart.

Resign Myers to a REASONABLE contract if possible contract, if not, let him walk.

Draft: DT, DE, OG, RT, MLB, CB, S
Lechler can stay. Myers should stay to and we should keep Palmer. Best QB on the roster and I am not willing to roll the dice with Pryor.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand the getting rid of Palmer talk. Is he our long term solution at QB? No. But he can certainly get us through next season and hopefully allow Pryor to get a little more time before we really have to see what he can do. We need to address our defensive depth this draft starting up front and hopefully find a CB too. Next year is when we should potentially look for a QB in a much stronger class, plus I still really do have hope for Pryor.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raiders offseason defense

Here's my plan for the defense.

1. Get rid of the tackles. Kelly and Seymour displayed far too many lapses in gap integrity this past year and both are on a downhill trajectory. Save the money, get rid of the flab.

2. Cut McClain. I probably don't need to get into this too much, but McClain struggles in pass coverage, he struggles with staying in his gap andheiseasily washed out of the play. And he's douche who won't buy in to the culture. He's gone. Save the money.

3. Pay the #3's. The Raiders have a few defensive players who have flashed ability in the past as solid if unspectacular players. Desmond Bryant, Matt Shaughnessy and Phillip Wheeler have all provided value to this team, however dont get caught up in this "accolade" as they have merely been best players on a bad team. Bryan't best role is likely still has a rotational DT--the first man off the bench. Wheeler is likely the 3rd best LB on a good defense and Shaughnessy may or may not reach the potential he displayed as a 3rd round pick out of Wisconsin, but he is still a solid player coming off a shoulder injury from a year ago. Make an effort to sign them for stability, but don't expect more than average play or you will be disappointed. And pay them as such.

4. Get rid of the trash. The Raiders have plenty of players who received significant time on defense who aren't paid very much but they provided only negative value. You aren't so much saving yourself money on these cuts as just getting rid of incredibly bad players. This includes every CB other than Brandian Ross and Philip Adams and get rid of Matt Giordano at safety. That means Cote Francies, Joselio Hansen, Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell are all either cut or not extended new contract offers. Get rid of Tollefsen too. He was a wasted signing.

5. 4-3, 2, 1... Blow up the 4-3 as a base defense and transition to a hybrid 3-4 team with 4-man fronts sprinkled in. Bilukidi profiles as a NT, Bryant, Houston and Crawford all have the size to play 5-tech and the top players in the draft profile well in hybrid roles.

6. Draft, draft, draft... Trade, trade, trade... The Raiders have multiple needs at every level of the defense whether they feature a 3-4 a 4-3 or a 1-6 defense. They need to get younger and better everywhere and this draft needs to be devoted to this side of the ball.

However due to poor decisions from the previous staff, the Raiders are draft pick poor. The solution to this is use leverage at the top of round 1 to trade down. Depending on the situation, the pick may have great value to certain teams. Plenty of teams in this draft are looking for a franchise LT to anchor their line and there are 2 clear cut leaders in Joeckel and Fisher. The #3 pick could have value in a trade up for a team trying to leapfrog the other teams in the 4-16 area. If Geno Smith is available, a team may be looking to leapfrog the Eagles to grab the top rated QB. I say take what you can get and be willing to trade down multiple times in the fist round to collect more assets. This is a draft that may get better value from smaller trades unless a team like the Bears wants to pull an Atlanta to grab the best player at a position of need.

7. Calculated free agent moves. The Raiders are reportedly $4 million over the cap after spending 2012 ranked last or 2nd to last in both offensive and defensive payroll. The 2012 salary committed to players on the team was far below any other team in the NFL. Consider the dead cap a parting gift from Al Davis. The Raiders continue their trek through the sea of the dead cap this year as they still feel the pain of failed high draft picks and failed signings (Routt, Wimbley, etc). With the cuts outlined above as well as others to take place on the offensive side of the ball, the Raiders should have some money to play with. They won't be able to go after the top free agents, but the 2nd tier will be where they get the best value. Think guys like SF's Ricky Jean Francois and Isaac Sopoaga.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I don't understand the getting rid of Palmer talk.
Cap space for players who are part of the plan going forward. Nothing complicated about it.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nip...not a lot of love for Bryant, I see. Maybe I do overrate the cat a little. Being pretty good while surrounded by awful can make you look like a stud, so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me with him. I was ready to franchise the guy at one point. 0_o

Still, I'd have to offer him and Wheeler a little more than you would simply based on their level of effort, the fact both still have upside if surrounded by players better than they played with last year, and due to my desperation to have something resembling a foundation heading into the draft and free agency.

Yeah, I know. Al finally kicks over, and my first move is to pull some Al type sh/t. I'm a farking genius.

God damn it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crow, I certainly don't hate on Bryant. I like him. A lot. I just don't love him as a starter you lean on. I really like him as a 1st lineman off the bench in a scheme that rotates constantly.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

I expect we'd see him end the contract negotiations right away if we came at him with some "first guy off the bench" talk.

I'm pretty certain he'll be a starter somewhere next season. I'd prefer it be for us.

God damn it.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I don't understand the getting rid of Palmer talk. Is he our long term solution at QB? No. But he can certainly get us through next season and hopefully allow Pryor to get a little more time before we really have to see what he can do. We need to address our defensive depth this draft starting up front and hopefully find a CB too. Next year is when we should potentially look for a QB in a much stronger class, plus I still really do have hope for Pryor.
Have you considered the cost?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Crow, I certainly don't hate on Bryant. I like him. A lot. I just don't love him as a starter you lean on. I really like him as a 1st lineman off the bench in a scheme that rotates constantly.
Why don't you like him as a starter? Would you rather we sign the next Gerrad Warren, or pay a guy who can actually play?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Why don't you like him as a starter? Would you rather we sign the next Gerrad Warren, or pay a guy who can actually play?
Yes because those are the only two options.

Ideally the Raiders would grab a guy like Star, Jesse Williams or someone similar in the draft, maybe even 2 big uglies--one who profiles more as a NT and one who profiles as a 5-tech DE/3-tech DT.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes because those are the only two options.

Ideally the Raiders would grab a guy like Star, Jesse Williams or someone similar in the draft, maybe even 2 big uglies--one who profiles more as a NT and one who profiles as a 5-tech DE/3-tech DT.
Okay, I AM proposing we get Star and pair him with Bryant. Why draft a second big ugly with limited draft picks when we could re-sign Bryant??
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How would you guys feel if we drafted Geno Smith?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 PM    (permalink
dra
Rookie

dra hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2013 Raiders Offseason
Offense
-Resign Barnes. Until they actually bring in a better tackle we need to keep him around.
-Resign Carlisle (for cheap) and Parsons. Good back-up linemen.
-Resign Myers if the money is right otherwise let him walk. He had a great year but is still only an average all around TE.
-Resign Goodson. Solid RB
-Restructure Palmers deal or look to cut him. Maybe talk to Arizona about a deal for Palmer.
-trade McFadden. I know that he has tons of talent but the Raiders have too many needs and no way to address them with their lack of picks and cap space. Id rather have a couple more picks and let Goodson/Reece/Jones and one new acquisition run the show.
-Id also look to test the trade market with Terrelle Pryor. We just had a year where QBs with similar skill sets took the NFL by storm. The staff does not seem like they have a ton of belief in the kid and there might be some GM out there who is willing to over pay for Pryor. This of course means they need to keep Palmer and find a QB to start grooming at some point.
-Trade Brisiel. When we picked him up it was because he was a great zone blocking lineman. This is simple because we are not a zone blocking team anymore. Ship him to a team that does employ zone blocking and try to get something we can use in return (pick or player).
-Let Jeremy Stewart walk. An upgrade can be had and needed if we move McFadden
-Sign a free agent RB I would think we could get a Peyton Hillis, Shonn Greene, or Cedric Benson for Cheap and add them to the RB committee.
-Sign 1 or 2 veteran O-lineman. With our cap situation it will likely have to be OGs.
-Draft a OT in round 3 if one falls or draft from the next tier in round 4.

Defense
-Resign Wheeler, Bryant, Carter, Slaughnessy, Burnett, Ross, Hanson, Adams and Mitchell. Some of these guys are players to be built around and some are simply the best option right now. Rome was not built in a day so some of these guys are going to be needed as role players while the team is rebuilt.
-Sign a free agent DT and LB to compete for a starting job. There are plenty of guys who are stuck in a depth chart that would be able to compete in Oaklands depth chart. Id also look to covet some of these type of players in trades mentioned before.
-If Asomugha is cut by the Eagles Id at least have the discussion about him returning home. He went to Cal and had a HOF career going while in Oakland. I know he is not the player he use to be but he is a better option than anyone else on our roster and if hed come back for the right price (I presume to prove himself) the Raiders would be crazy not to do it. The fans would love it.
-Let Seymour, Giordano, Spencer, and Francie walk. None of them produce at their potential cap numbers.
-Cut Kelly and McClain. Self explanatory.
-Draft the best defensive player available at #3 or trade down and amass more picks for defensive players. If we stay at #3 then we take (in no particular order) Moore, Milliner, or Lotulelei with the pick.
-Draft the BPA defensive, with all but 1 or 2 selections (maybe 3 offensive guys if we can amass a nice amount of picks).

Special Teams
As much as I hate to do it, let Lechler walk. He deserves to get paid and the Raiders are not a team that can afford to spend money on a punter.
dra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
-Resign Carlisle
Stopped reading.

God damn it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
How would you guys feel if we drafted Geno Smith?
No. Just...no.

God damn it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Okay, I AM proposing we get Star and pair him with Bryant. Why draft a second big ugly with limited draft picks when we could re-sign Bryant??
He may not want to re-sign.

Thankfully, Houston remains an option there.

God damn it.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Stopped reading.
Thank you for the sanity.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Because Desmond Bryant isn't that special. Why pay him special money when the Raiders have Houston? And the opportunity to draft someone to play at 1/10 or even 1/20 the cost?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Resigning Carlisle would be one of the worst things ever. I hate that guy with a passion...and Khalif Barnes.

Bryant would be nice to have but not for premium money.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to overpay for Bryant. We've made too many mistakes like that in the past.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

If we can get Bryant for like 4yr/$20, I'd be all over that.

God damn it.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
dra
Rookie

dra hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Stopped reading.
Curious what you would do instead. I am not a fan of Carlisle by any means, I'm not a fan of many of the players I said they need to resign. The problem is this team has so many holes that you have to bring back some of those guys. And like I said, only for cheap (vet min contracts) and as a back-up lineman. We need new OG's on both sides, I'd rather us get two new starters and let some of our former players take the back up roles instead of wasting extra picks or free agent dollars on two new starters and back-ups.
dra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because Desmond Bryant isn't that special. Why pay him special money when the Raiders have Houston? And the opportunity to draft someone to play at 1/10 or even 1/20 the cost?
Ah, and Houston is "special"? We don't know how Houston would do at DT. I know my eyes tell me that Bryant is explosive and plays hard every down. He had as many sacks as Houston playing part time and as a DT.

Let me ask you something, did you think Roderick Coleman was anything until he go this chance to start? How about Chris Clemons? This is what happens when we don't properly assess out assets. Bryant is 6'5", 300 lbs and 27 years old. He is also not a knucklehead. There is a reason why he is rated highly as a free agent DT even though he plays for the Raiders.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 02-20-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra View Post
Curious what you would do instead. I am not a fan of Carlisle by any means, I'm not a fan of many of the players I said they need to resign. The problem is this team has so many holes that you have to bring back some of those guys. And like I said, only for cheap (vet min contracts) and as a back-up lineman. We need new OG's on both sides, I'd rather us get two new starters and let some of our former players take the back up roles instead of wasting extra picks or free agent dollars on two new starters and back-ups.
There is no bringing Carlisle back. It shouldn't have happened last year.