Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the Saints making many FA signings, if any at all. One player I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints bring in is OLB Victor Butler. He's familiar with Ryan's scheme having played with him in Dallas and should do well as a rotational OLB. Hell, he might even beat Junior Galette for the starting job.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, after looking at some cap numbers:
DE Will Smith ($14.5 mil - $9 mil base)
LB Jonathan Vilma ($8.6 mil - $4.8 mil base)
S Roman Harper ($7.1 mil - $5.25 mil base)

I think it's pretty safe to say that those three won't be back with the Saints in 2013. That's saving between $19.05 - 30.2 mil in salary. Or something like that.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 AM    (permalink
Naga114
Rookie

Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect them to restructure but Harper is the one I'd like to keep (not a popular opinion)

They are team captains, if they are gone who are our leaders ? Jenkins who appears to be fine but his status took a hit this season, people want him to be Sharper so bad.
And with Ryan coming in, I'm not sure the D is gonna be fine, don't know what their identity is gonna be.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
So, after looking at some cap numbers:
DE Will Smith ($14.5 mil - $9 mil base)
LB Jonathan Vilma ($8.6 mil - $4.8 mil base)
S Roman Harper ($7.1 mil - $5.25 mil base)

I think it's pretty safe to say that those three won't be back with the Saints in 2013. That's saving between $19.05 - 30.2 mil in salary. Or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Cutting a player doesn't just eliminate his entire cap number. You're not taking into account the penalties for their signing bonuses and prior restructures that gave them other guaranteed money.

Cutting Will Smith would only save 5.7M.

Cutting Vilma only saves 5.98M.

Cutting Harper only saves 3.6M.

Total: 15.28M. About half of what you'd hoped.

Restructuring Evans would save you a max of 4.5M this season, but would make future seasons even worse.

Restructuring Greer would save you a max of 1.75M this season.

Even after doing all of this, you wouldn't have enough money to sign your draft picks.
I already asked about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga114 View Post
I expect them to restructure but Harper is the one I'd like to keep (not a popular opinion)

They are team captains, if they are gone who are our leaders ? Jenkins who appears to be fine but his status took a hit this season, people want him to be Sharper so bad.
And with Ryan coming in, I'm not sure the D is gonna be fine, don't know what their identity is gonna be.
They really can't restructure because iirc they are all on last year of the deals, so nowhere to move forward the money. Its basically take huge pay cuts or be gone.

Screw Roman Harper.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the more i think of it, the more i think the cap is really troubling, doesnt look like we can do anything of note this offseason, could be a ton of veterans getting the boot. The advantage, we ought to have huge room next year with all the cap penalties were gonna absorb this year

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

If we did cut all those three players, it would at least put us under the cap. There's also a pool designated to sign draft picks out of it. Getting under the cap is the main issue with the team right now.

We really won't be able to sign any FA's this year so we have to build through the draft this year using all five of our picks. It's something that we should have been doing for the past five years but have whiffed on, especially defensive players.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
aregand
Rookie

aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Cap issues more reason to trade down I suppose.

I can see them letting all 3 go as they also had the most involvement with the 'scandal' and Williams.
aregand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you all think about Martez Wilson at OLB in the 3-4? He's got the makeup for it.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
What do you all think about Martez Wilson at OLB in the 3-4? He's got the makeup for it.
looking forward to it really much, i think its what he is supposed to play after seeing him being out of place as a DEnd this year. i legitimately wouldnt mind starting him. Having Junior Galette starting opposite of him worries me

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Absolutely. Will Smith is another question mark as I really doubt he can play standing up. But he's still decent enough to play somewhere - maybe in nickel pacakges. I expect them to draft at least one OLB and probably sign at least one also.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

As wicket said, I'm looking forward to Tez in a 3-4. I think it's his more natural fit and will help him exploit his skill set more.
Junior Galette, eh... It should work for him more too, I suppose, but he's more of a situational pass rusher any way.

I think the Saints will draft a pass rusher, maybe two if they don't sign one in FA. If they do sign one in FA it's going to have to be on the cheap so I see someone like Victor Butler coming in from Dallas. He's familiar with Ryan's scheme and is young enough to still make an impact.

It's likely that the franchise would love to see Will Smith retire a Saint but the only way I see him coming back is if he signs something like the vet minimum which I don't know if he will or not. Maybe a backloaded contract can be offered?

Vilma makes too much money to come back and we've seen how he hasn't worked in a 3-4 before. Roman Harper doesn't fit Ryan's scheme at all so I don't see him coming back either.

Regardless, Loomis has his work cut out for him.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I don't think Harper works in any scheme (such a liability in coverage), but what about Ryan's scheme is different for the safeties?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
aregand
Rookie

aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Maybe add some people to the scouting staff that better evaluate defenders. We always seem to do well on the offensive side for the most part but not the other.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup with the way our cap is, we're probably going to be making little to no moves in Free agency. Other than making some cuts. Unfortunate but we've acquired a lot of bloated veteran contracts over the past seasons. Hopefully though we'll be able to start unloading those contracts and opening up cap space for next off-season.

Which makes the Draft even more pivotal.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loomis is going to have to do some Harry Potter/ David Blaine level crap to get us competitive this year.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't think Harper works in any scheme (such a liability in coverage), but what about Ryan's scheme is different for the safeties?
Ryan requires his safeties to cover my field and blitzes them less. Basically he wants his safeties to do everything Harper can't do and doesn't want them to do everything he can do.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aregand View Post
Maybe add some people to the scouting staff that better evaluate defenders. We always seem to do well on the offensive side for the most part but not the other.
This pretty much sums it up. Look at our late round/UDFA steals and then look at the defensive players we draft at the top :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Yup with the way our cap is, we're probably going to be making little to no moves in Free agency. Other than making some cuts. Unfortunate but we've acquired a lot of bloated veteran contracts over the past seasons. Hopefully though we'll be able to start unloading those contracts and opening up cap space for next off-season.

Which makes the Draft even more pivotal.
And BRING BACK STALLWORTHHHHHH :D

Quote:
Ryan requires his safeties to cover my field and blitzes them less. Basically he wants his safeties to do everything Harper can't do and doesn't want them to do everything he can do.
Harper needed to go 2+ years ago.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Yes. :)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

No wonder he sucks at calling plays. Look at those mammies! Good Lord!

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, I' like this joker already.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
aregand
Rookie

It's 4th Q goalline stand- 4th and 1. We need a playcall to win the game Coach!

coach?

I am too old to breastfeed. I AM NOT to old to breastfeed.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
aregand
Rookie

On a more serious note according to some speculators -it looks like Ellis will likely be out as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
On a more serious note according to some speculators -it looks like Ellis will likely be out as well.
That was expected. After his first season he went down hill and he really doesn't have a fit in a 3-4.

One other player that I haven't heard mentioned being cut but will probably be strongly considered to be cut is Chris Chamberlain, who really has NO fit in a 3-4.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
I've been thinking that I doubt we re-sign him for some time now.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
That was expected. After his first season he went down hill and he really doesn't have a fit in a 3-4.

One other player that I haven't heard mentioned being cut but will probably be strongly considered to be cut is Chris Chamberlain, who really has NO fit in a 3-4.
I mentioned this before. Chris was a Spags hire through and through. We don't need him at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I've been thinking that I doubt we re-sign him for some time now.
I hope we don't resign him.