Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I absolutely hate when I look at mocks and they have us taking a defensive end in the first round.
No need at all. I think Frank Alexander is going to develop just as CJ and Hardy have, probably with more sacks from playing in a decent defense. I think they could be the best three man rush in the league next season if they keep it up. The weakness of the line is stopping the run. The defense has looked a lot better the last two weeks because Cam and the offense put up points quickly and control the ball. I can't forget the yards given up in Philly and KC.

Needs and how I'd address them:

DT - Draft
OT- Draft
TE - Draft (Jared Cook is interesting)
WR - FA (Dwayne Bowe would be perfect)
CB - FA (Quentin Jammer? If Rivera stays, I'd say likely)
FS - FA (Jarius Byrd???)
K - Draft

Obviously we can't sign all of them, but I think I'd put a premium on signing a veteran WR and a CB/S. Draft down the line and get a damn kicker.

If DeAngelo is gone, we have to pick up a scat back. We'll need another speedster to step up. I have no idea what Joe Adams can do. Armanti Edwards has been on the field and done nothing.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was ugly. 160 penalty yards combined and tons of bad calls.

Cam was getting mauled, again. The Chargers did it last week and the Raiders did it again. The offensive line allows instant pressure far too often and didn't open holes for runners. Amini dislocated his wrist so the interior of the line went from bad to worse.

Thomas Davis and Keuchly were the players of the game.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, unless the new GM hates him, I think Rivera will get another year. I love winning, but since we're out of the playoff chase moving down the draft order kind of sucks. We're likely out of range for Lotulelei, but Hankins may be available, as well as Matthews or Lewan on the offensive side.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

That doesn't look like spearing. They call it leading with the helmet, but most tackles technically lead with the helmet. Hardy made a pretty good form tackle, imo. He gets him with the shoulder. Palmer was an idiot. The play had already been going on forever. Who the hell thinks they have time to stop, plant and throw with practically every player right behind them?

Oh well. I'm glad this defense didn't stop hitting though. They're definitely hitting harder than I've seen in years. TD and Keuchly let up zero yards after reaching the ball carrier. McFadden couldn't turn the corner on Keuchly or TD which was impressive.

The Raiders admitted (stupidly) to going after Cam because of this play. Cam was lucky he had offsetting penalties (the kick and bump) but I'm sure he can tell when lineman are trying to get a little extra out of each hit.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 12-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that's a fair hit in my book. Hate that this kind of stuff gets called nowadays.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

So we're looking at a draft pick that's probably in the 8-14 range.

What are people's thoughts on prospects or what position we need?

I've heard the trenches are where the talent is so that makes me think we should go that way. I don't think teams will want to trade up. Milliner is an interesting prospect. Watching this years defense it's clear that ability to play bump and run is essential to this defense. Seeing what they did with the pedigree of corners this year makes me think they can wait to address it.

I want to add picks that make our best players better.

I don't want to wait on giving Cam a real offensive line. Cam's been doing pretty well with the receivers they've got. What they need is a run game. Same goes for giving Keuchly a DT that frees him up to make plays. Hardy and CJ would also benefit.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

I'd much rather take a defensive tackle than a cornerback. Both are needs, but it is much easier for a defensive line to mask problems in the secondary than it is for the secondary to mask problems on the defensive line. We already have two good pass rushers, if we were to take a defensive tackle they would only look that much better, while also improving the run defense more than a cornerback would.

Offensive tackle is a big need as well, luckily for us there is a good amount of depth there. Right now we're in a position for either Lewan or Matthews if we want them. I actually really like Lewan, and I think he could eventually slide over to replace Gross. Matthews has proven his quality as a right tackle, and some think he could play the left side as well if need be.

Not really sure which way I want to go between those two positions. It'll probably come down to if we add anyone at those spots in free agency, and then who's on the board at our pick come draft day. I do think there is somewhat more depth at offensive tackle than defensive tackle in this draft, so that perhaps may need to dictate who we take with the first pick. But unless we add someone in free agency or there is a very talented player who's slipped down the board that we could use, I hope regardless of which one we pick first we use our first two picks on both tackle needs. I'm leaning more towards defensive tackle at this point, but I could honestly go either way.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Posted this in the coaching change thread, looks like Rivera is staying, and rumors have Beane being the full-time GM. Maybe Beane is some genius and we just don't know it yet, but to fire Hurney midseason, conduct this big search, and then hire Hurney's right-hand man who has no experience with evaluating players or coaches, instead of a candidate with a quality resume like Marc Ross, may be one of the worst moves this franchise could make.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Posted this in the coaching change thread, looks like Rivera is staying, and rumors have Beane being the full-time GM. Maybe Beane is some genius and we just don't know it yet, but to fire Hurney midseason, conduct this big search, and then hire Hurney's right-hand man who has no experience with evaluating players or coaches, instead of a candidate with a quality resume like Marc Ross, may be one of the worst moves this franchise could make.
All Bean knows is what Hurney has done. Don't want. Bring in Ross.

Rivera will stay after improving by one game. On paper, the defense improved despite being destroyed by injuries. They've been #4 in defense since Keek moved inside. The offense wasn't as productive but I think this year's Newton was much improved and stayed alive behind that offensive line.

Draft down the lines this coming year and then we can go bonkers on skill positions for the next few years.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

As I said in the coaching change thread, the Panthers have requested interviews for the Giants' Ross and Gettleman.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rivera stays and it's without the new GM's input... Solid decision by JR, again...

After watching RGIII go down I keep thinking about what could've been on that Saints hit, which was actually pretty unnecessary.

Cam was actually hit on a higher percentage of this plays than anyone in the league. It's great that he is built to last, but he can't top that stat again. That offensive line probably would've broken sack records if Newton couldn't scramble.

1. Build an offensive line that can protect
2. Hand off to your stable of runningbacks

Somehow, the second part seems like it's going to be the most difficult for this team.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was Accorsi helping you guys in this GM search?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Was Accorsi helping you guys in this GM search?
He pretty much ran it
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
He pretty much ran it
I just wish we had a GM to help decide whether to keep Ronald.

How do we replace Chud? I'm not sure how hard it will be. On one hand, I won't miss his inability to hand it off normally. On the other, he did come up with really inventive plays that came in handy. He's a double edge sword.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

I think I should give up looking into the mock draft section. It seems absolutely no one is aware that needing a defensive tackle does not equate to needing just any defensive tackle. I'm guessing they do the minimum of research, see people mocking us a defensive tackle, and then just give us their highest rated prospect at the position, without actually considering what type of defensive tackle we need, i.e. a nose tackle.

That being said, not entirely closed off to going another direction in the first. Warmack or Patterson are guys I would accept.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think I should give up looking into the mock draft section. It seems absolutely no one is aware that needing a defensive tackle does not equate to needing just any defensive tackle. I'm guessing they do the minimum of research, see people mocking us a defensive tackle, and then just give us their highest rated prospect at the position, without actually considering what type of defensive tackle we need, i.e. a nose tackle.

That being said, not entirely closed off to going another direction in the first. Warmack or Patterson are guys I would accept.
Not even going to bother with mocks for a while. So much will change in the rankings. As long as it's a lineman I'm happy. I really wish we could add a WR/TE/CB/S but I think we gotta wait on that.

Also, congrats to uncle Luke for the award.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

I'm beginning to really lean towards taking either Patterson or Warmack, and if they're gone, then trading back. I just think those two players are of an elite caliber, and would help Cam out greatly. Take one of them, and then take someone like Brandon Williams in the second.

If they're gone, trade back. I think we can go back into the early 20s and still get a nose tackle, while also picking up hopefully what would be a second second round pick.

Also, sources are indicating that Gamble is expected to be let go.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Last edited by Cigaro : 02-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm beginning to really lean towards taking either Patterson or Warmack, and if they're gone, then trading back. I just think those two players are of an elite caliber, and would help Cam out greatly. Take one of them, and then take someone like Brandon Williams in the second.

If they're gone, trade back. I think we can go back into the early 20s and still get a nose tackle, while also picking up hopefully what would be a second second round pick.

Also, sources are indicating that Gamble is expected to be let go.
Patterson carries a lot of risk with him, he is a body catcher on almost every play and few of these types usually succeed at the next level. He has every thing else you look for in a receiver but he will need a lot of work on catching the ball with his hands.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Patterson carries a lot of risk with him, he is a body catcher on almost every play and few of these types usually succeed at the next level. He has every thing else you look for in a receiver but he will need a lot of work on catching the ball with his hands.
Admittedly yes, he does body catch a lot. But I've also seen him extend and grab some pretty good catches. Cam Newton is better suited with big receivers, Patterson gives us that, plus the athleticism.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I don't know anything about Patterson beyond highlights. The talent is there but this FO has to continue to focus on work ethic and character that can help maximize talent/potential.

Having a receiver with that kind of YAC ability is amazing though. Just look at what he did with 25 carries (200 yards, 3 TDs).

Seems like he is raw in terms of craftsmanship like route running and using his hands. I think those types of risks are lesser when you have more leadership to build those qualities. I'd like the combination of Smith-LaFell-Patterson so long as we can protect Newton.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 02-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

The Panthers worked out QB Ryan Nassib...

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Gamble was cut and then retired.

Barnidge went to the Browns.

They cut James Anderson despite saving very little money and losing depth while Beason and TD are still question marks. Jason Phillips left too.

They signed Drayton Florence... Yeah, not impressive.

Offered Dwan Edwards a 1 year contract... He's probably insulted now.

Re-signed Anderson so we know we have a backup still... YOURE ON FIRE GETTLEMAN!

But this is honestly the fault of Hurney and Richardson. Can't really blame him for our cap issues.

Possible bargains but I'm doubting everything:

Michael Huff
Antoine Winfield - would've been better than Florence
Darrius Heyward-bey - we already got Murphy so why not

The draft is our only hope. Fingers crossed we have a third straight ROY.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Panther boards are blowing up about Tavon Austin...

please. god. no...

We can't afford to blow a pick on some video game receiver. Every comparison is "Percy Harvin & *insert mid-round small WR* "

Sorry, I don't buy even the Harvin comparison. Harvin is bigger and more physical. Austin can't break arm tackles in college. He won't run around people in the NFL. Wide-side of the field is gone.

He doesn't even average 12 ypc in a wide open conference.

Oh, but he's a threat to run the ball!!!! Uhuh, because we didn't have enough of those.

Can we just get a WR that isn't half a foot smaller than our QB? Jeez. You'd think all those overthrows would make us want someone who could go up and save some.

I'd only take him in the second like T.Y. Hilton. I'll take my chances and see how Joe Adams progresses.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Panther boards are blowing up about Tavon Austin...

please. god. no...

We can't afford to blow a pick on some video game receiver. Every comparison is "Percy Harvin & *insert mid-round small WR* "

Sorry, I don't buy even the Harvin comparison. Harvin is bigger and more physical. Austin can't break arm tackles in college. He won't run around people in the NFL. Wide-side of the field is gone.

He doesn't even average 12 ypc in a wide open conference.

Oh, but he's a threat to run the ball!!!! Uhuh, because we didn't have enough of those.

Can we just get a WR that isn't half a foot smaller than our QB? Jeez. You'd think all those overthrows would make us want someone who could go up and save some.

I'd only take him in the second like T.Y. Hilton. I'll take my chances and see how Joe Adams progresses.
I hope you are right...because I will be ecstatic to see Austin Fall to the Rams at #16. He is the most explosive, game-ready receiver in this draft. He will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. He has great hands, runs excellent routes, and his speed and quickness will demand respect from defenses. This will open things up for receivers on the outside. He is also a dynamic returner who will give his team an immediate boost in the field position game. There are few players that can score at any given time from anywhere on the field, and he is one of them.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I hope you are right...because I will be ecstatic to see Austin Fall to the Rams at #16. He is the most explosive, game-ready receiver in this draft. He will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. He has great hands, runs excellent routes, and his speed and quickness will demand respect from defenses. This will open things up for receivers on the outside. He is also a dynamic returner who will give his team an immediate boost in the field position game. There are few players that can score at any given time from anywhere on the field, and he is one of them.

That's all nice but he isn't worth a top 20 pick. Too many drawbacks people want to ignore. Size is what makes WRs impossible to cover, not just speed. Speed also doesn't help at all in the redzone. Flacco didn't win a superbowl throwing high passes to tiny receivers.

The Panthers need size and speed not finess players who can't break arm tackles. Watch his highlights, none of the players ever touch him. Makes you wonder what happens when they do.

How come Percy Harvin is the only player people compare him to that was drafted in the first round? Because you can find players like him later on and it's a better risk-reward strategy.

Darren Sproles was nuts in college and he was picked in the 4th. Also, it's crazy that Sproles is 15 lbs heavier than Austin and only 2" shorter.