Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Scotty's Rutgers Prospect Breakdown

So, since many players have their own threads and whatnot, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents on the players that I know better than any in the draft: my Rutgers guys. I'm sure Zak will see this and add in his opinion, but we agree on 99% of our guys. I've seen a little bit about some RU prospects lately, so I thought I'd just throw in my take on them. We've got 6 going to the Combine (a Rutgers record) and one guy (Safety Duron Harmon) who isn't and I feel should've. So, here it goes. I'm being 100% honest on these guys and I think me and Zak's track record is pretty good throughout the past when it comes to guys we pimp.

LB Khaseem Greene: I'm just going to come out and say it: Greene might be my favorite Rutgers prospect ever. Yeah. There. I said it. The former safety who transitioned to LB his junior year, only to be Co-Big east player of the year. He absolutely dominated the position his first year. Suffered a freak broken ankle in our bowl game (not injury prone, don't even try it here.) so really has only had one offseason as a linebacker, and has absolutely killed it there. Has the coverage skills of a safety to cover TE's and RB's out of the back field. Hits like a god damn monster. His FF numbers are ridiculous. He sniffs out the ball extremely well and is in on almost every single play. The downside is his size, but he's bulking up. His instincts and hitting ability are phenomenal. Has the speed and sideline to sideline range that you love in a linebacker. His measureables will hurt him a bit and I don't think being a MLB would suit him the best. He's going to be a super star WILL. Outstanding character and worker. He'll make some team extremely happy when they pick him and put him on the outside. He's working on shedding blocks better, but like I said, that'll come with more time at the position. He's a borderline 1st rounder (and a top 32 guy IMO, but I see the questions regarding his size and versatility). He'll most likely make a team VERY happy in the 2nd and be a huge steal.

CB Logan Ryan: This is Zak's boy. Don't get me wrong, I love him and coined the addage/meme "when you throw on Logan Ryan, you're gonna have a bad time". But Zak'll do the most pimping of him and has since he enrolled here. Logan, I feel, is an Antoine Winfield clone and perfect replacement for him in Minny. I honestly can say I don't remember ever seeing Logan miss a tackle while at Rutgers. His straight line speed is meh, and that hurts him. He's a great physical CB who is an absolute asset in the run game. His ball skills aren't the best, but he's known to make a timely INT. Was shut down but didn't have the best of years this year, but should be an absolute solid #2 CB in the NFL for a while. His pure speed and playmaking ability are his biggest knocks. Looks to be a 2nd-3rrd rounder. Just a really solid player.

LB Steve Beauharnis: Man, another one of my faves, "Stevie Beau" is a monster. Like Khaseem, an absolute warrior and leader. Fan favorite. Almost ripped my arm off giving me a high five after a big win this season. Firey guy who manned the middle for us. To use an expresssion BBD described him "He's violent in a phone booth". He does the dirty work, great in the middle and great run stuffer. Gets pretty good penetration and very smart player. He's physically limited, but did well in an aggressive 4-3 RU defense. I think, however, he projects better to a 3-4 thumper in the NFL. I think a team like the Ravens are perfect for him. I think them grabbing him in the 5 or so is a perfect fit.

RB Jawan Jamison: Made some highlight reel moves this season and I still use that USF spin to fap to. He's a really solid guy, deceptively quick. A little indecisive with which hole to hit, got away with some speed on the outside. Good hands out of the backfield. People compare him to Ray Rice, but he's actually a little faster than Rice, but not as elusive or strong and doesn't have the vision. I don't see star #1 RB potential with Jawan sadly, especially with his ankle problems this year, but I think he's being slept on VERY heavily in this draft. He's had great production and low mileage. I think he's a top 5 RB in this class and will stick around on an NFL team for a while. His versatility and ability to pass block and catch are big assets. I'm curios to see what he runs, could boost his stock. I think he's a solid mid-round RB.

TE DC Jefferson: Ok, I love DC as much as the next guy, but I just...I don't know what to say. His size, speed, athleticism are all drool worthy for scouts but like...I can't tell you how many times there'd be a flag and the whole crowd would just go along with the ref "Holding, #10, offense. 10 yard penalty, repeat the down". SO frustrating. His combine should be pretty nuts, but just, so frustrating. Developed into a pretty good blocker after being recruited as a QB. Has good enough hands, but tough to tell since RU's QB's don't know how to throw to the middle of the field and only know slants and streak routes...but I digress. He could be a project TE, but I don't see him amounting to much more than a 2nd-3rd TE that bounces around. Probably undrafted, but could get drafted with his combine.

WR Mark Harrison: He's actually the guy who made me want to make this post. Our very own Shane P Hallam and ATL tweeted about Mark. His measurements are off the charts. Monster dude, strong, decent speed. Just somehow ALWAYS seems to create separation. I actually never understood it. As ATL put today, he's a YAC monster. However, I will tell you right now, I've cursed out Mark Harrison more than any non-QB player. I can't tell you how many WIDE open drops he'll have on streak routes. I'm talking easy 6. I'm talking OH MY GOD NOVA THREW A GOOD BALL TO THE RIGHT TEAM AND MARK ******* HARRISON HOW THE **** DID YOU DROP THAT YOU **** HEAD. like. really really really bad. And always the worst time. Most frustrating player ever because of his flashes and how good he SHOULD and COULD be, but the drops and disappearing from games (which could be Nova being the worst ever ever) just make him maddening. Could get drafted, 7th round maybe. I just...I don't know man. So frustrating.

the last guy who didn't get invited to the combine is Safety Duron Harmon. I think he deserves a shout out. He's a great leader, one of the smartest DB's I've ever seen. Plays the ball well, nice hitter, decent tackler. I feel he could make a PS or team as a 4th or 5th safety. Nothing really stands out with him, but he never gets beat deep and is a solid guy overall.

So there you have it, I didn't even get into the RJ Dill's or anything. My honest and maybe not so humble opinion of my Rutgers guys. Criticize, ask and hate away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote