Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ness continues to hunt and peck for every cloud in the sky.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Ness continues to hunt and peck for every cloud in the sky.
Every team has these feel-good stories during the slow offseason that are publicized. I'm just saying it's not a big deal. It's great that our players have the right mindset and are focused, but it's not something to get overly excited about.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 02-15-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Every team has these feel-good stories during the slow offseason that are publicized. I'm just saying it's not a big deal. It's great that our players have the right mindset and are focused, but it's not something to get overly excited about.
And we aren't we are just saying it's good to see a good chunk of them responding the way you should to a heartbreaking loss.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too late to trade AJ Jenkins for Stephen Hill straight up?
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 15 players of interest at the combine:

1) John Jenkins
2) Jessie Willimas
3) Justin Hunter
4) Tavon Austin
5) Terrance Williams
6) Barret Jones
7) Johnathan Banks
8) Desmond Trufant
9) Xavier Rhodes
10) Tyler Eifert
11) Zach Ertz
12) Margus Hunt
13) Devin Taylor
14) Joe Kruger
15) DJ Swearinger
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Too late to trade AJ Jenkins for Stephen Hill straight up?
That's a little premature.

Quote:
Top 15 players of interest at the combine:

1) John Jenkins
2) Jessie Willimas
3) Justin Hunter
4) Tavon Austin
5) Terrance Williams
6) Barret Jones
7) Johnathan Banks
8) Desmond Trufant
9) Xavier Rhodes
10) Tyler Eifert
11) Zach Ertz
12) Margus Hunt
13) Devin Taylor
14) Joe Kruger
15) DJ Swearinger
I like this list
Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eh, I suppose that's fine and all. I wouldn't get too excited about it. I also remember the Packers NOT doing anything during the lockout and they proceeded to go 15-1 going into the season after being criticized that they weren't gathering together like the Saints did that offseason or whatever.
That's totally irrevelant to the point I made. Two totally different circumstances and objectives. But whatever...
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well considering after a heartbreaking loss in the NFCCG, a young Aldon Smith choose to fly to Miami and party, which wound up costing him a DUI, I'd say it is a big deal. Most players approach that month or two right after the season as relaxtion time. Vacation time. Joe Staley is on TV Bass fishing. Nothing wrong with that, its the off-season. Their not obligated to do any training or work. I'm just pointing out the initiative and the drive to be better players and not have their season end in disappointment is fueling these guys to give up their so-called vacation time and while other players are getting some 'RnR', these two very young players are taking upon themselves to improve and show their teammates a example. It sets a tone for other young players if your superstars feel like they can't afford to rest on their laurels. That shows a ledership and a maturity that is rare to see in young players. It's something I'd expect to hear Tom Brady doing, not two second year players coming off really good seasons. And arguably, our two most vital players on either side of the ball.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-16-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
That's totally irrevelant to the point I made. Two totally different circumstances and objectives. But whatever...
What was the point then? They're just doing it to be doing it? I'm assuming there is supposed to be a payoff here. You were talking about players already back training after the Super Bowl loss correct? I was talking about players on the Packers roster two years ago not training up until the time they were supposed to which was about two weeks of training camp. And they were fine that year. Two different circumstances sure, but the objectives were the same...to get better at their craft.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What was the point then? They're just doing it to be doing it? I'm assuming there is supposed to be a payoff here. You were talking about players already back training after the Super Bowl loss correct? I was talking about players on the Packers roster two years ago not training up until the time they were supposed to which was about two weeks of training camp. And they were fine that year. Two different circumstances sure, but the objectives were the same...to get better at their craft.
Except maybe for the fact that Aaron Rodgers and that Packers team had several more years of experience together?
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Why do you always make it your goal to shoot down anything anyone says that's positive? I think if the Niners won the Super Bowl you'd be finding everything you could to ***** about. You would probably complain about the way they won it.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Really rooting against any QB looking good at the combine, hence increasing the possibility of Alex Smith getting us a top 100 pick!! Please, please, please....That would be 5 picks in the top 100!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Those were team workouts. A team who had just won the Super Bowl. In a off-season when they were supposed to be training anyway. Again, totally irrevelant to two players taking a week off after a tough loss, and are right back to training, trying their best to be great. They pretty much gave themselves a bye week and its back to football. Aldon's shoulder isn't even 100% and he's doing MMA training. That's rare to see in young players, I don't care how you spin it. I understand a guy like AJ Jenkins, who has a lot to still prove, being motivated to prove the naysayers wrong. Or a Kyle Williams, after a disastrous NFCCG, letting that disappointment fuel him into getting better a week after the loss. But these two guys, after the kind of year they had, its rare that they're back at it so quickly. Of course everyone knows that they'll train and try to get better eventually. But to have that drive so quickly after the season is refreshing to see, especially for young players.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Really rooting against any QB looking good at the combine, hence increasing the possibility of Alex Smith getting us a top 100 pick!! Please, please, please....That would be 5 picks in the top 100!
I don't see any team trading for Alex at this point. Its wishful thinking. I thought their might have been a chance but I just don't see it happening. Why trade for someone you know will eventually get released? I just dont think teams are very interested in Alex really. And defintely not at a 7 million dollar price tag.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see any team trading for Alex at this point. Its wishful thinking. I thought their might have been a chance but I just don't see it happening. Why trade for someone you know will eventually get released? I just dont think teams are very interested in Alex really. And defintely not at a 7 million dollar price tag.
Because it's Baalke's job to make sure he doesn't let a commodity with tremendous value (historically speaking) walk away for absolutely nothing in return.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Dan-If we don't sign Wallace I have a remedy for you. Convince yourself that we did sign him! It wont take much imagination. I think I may join you.

Mike Wallace- 6'0, 199 lbs
40yd dash: 4.33
Number: 17
wears high socks, last name contains 7 letters

AJ Jenkins- 6'0, 192 lbs
40 yd dash: 4.38
Wears high socks, last name contains 7 letters
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dan-If we don't sign Wallace I have a remedy for you. Convince yourself that we did sign him! It wont take much imagination. I think I may join you.

Mike Wallace- 6'0, 199 lbs
40yd dash: 4.33
wears high socks, last name contains 7 letters

AJ Jenkins- 6'0, 192 lbs
40 yd dash: 4.38
Wears high socks, last name contains 7 letters
Only problem with this idea is the simple fact that Wallace has played good or better in his ENTIRE four year career. Granted, Jenkins was behind Crabtree, Manningham, Williams and Moss but when he did get chances due to injuries (Manningham and Williams) or nothingness (Moss and Ginn), he didnt take advantage of it.

I'm not expecting anything from jenkins in 2013 which is one of the many reasons why I want Wallace. I have already posted why I want Wallace. I just dont see the point in paying $4m to Manningham who'll most likely start the season the PUP list for six weeks or re-signing Moss for $2.5m and get NOTHING in return. To me, that $6.5m is a far bigger waste of money than spending the $10-12m on Wallace because when you look at the last four years, Wallace has been more productive than both of them COMBINED. Seriously, who would you rather have?

49ers need to cut the fat which includes Alex Smith, Mario Manningham, Jonathan Goodwin, Parys Haralson, Carlos Rogers and David Akers. These six players alone would save $27.87m for 2013 alone and thats AFTER whatever cap hits they take for these players.

To me, its all about production, not the cost. After all, if you pay $2.5m to re-sign Moss but you get basically nothing out of him (again), what's even the point? So we can get to the SB again and he can claim that he's the greatest of all time but at best, was our 4th productive receiver after Davis, Crabtree and Walker. No, no and no.

Team could EASILY afford Wallace and make this offense a legitimate scoring threat on any given play because of Wallace's game breaking speed and ability to open up everything underneath.

I dont know about anyone else but I sure as hell wouldnt pay $10-12m for any combination of those players that should be released over Wallace because all of them combined, wouldnt match the production of Wallace.

Smith is a backup period and there's no way the team is stupid enough to keep and pay him $8.5m for 2103 but then again, the team did re-sign Carlos Rogers last off-season when I didnt want them to because I knew he was going to decline and sorry, he's not magically going to get better or match his 2011 season. Manningham was worth $4m BEFORE he suffered that torn ACL and PCL but now, he's not and paying him that amount just so he can miss six weeks from being placed on the PUP list is a true waste of money, plus he's an UFA next off-season so why keep him? Akers? Ugh. Draft a kicker in the 4th round and move on. Goodwin has one year left on his contract and its time to either start Kilgore or draft a center in April to start. Honestly, I dont care if its Kilgore or a rookie but I want a young center so he and Kaepernick can be like a Manning/Saturday combination. That continuity and consistency would be great to have at the two most important positions on offense. Haralson would be replaced by a pass rushing OLB in the first or second round which should be easy since I keep reading that's a deep position in the draft.

If the team doesnt sign Wallace (or Bowe), I'll be disappointed but I'll be pissed if they keep those old guys or sign average at best players who wont do a damn thing or are most likely injury prone.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Yes sir, I'm on board with releasing or trading (Smith) everyone of those guys you mentioned as well as NOT re-signing Sopoaga. So with 28 million that leaves the following positions to be filled:

NT
CB
WR
Backup OLB
Backup QB
C (Kilgore a possibility but I'd like to see someone added)
K

It would be nice to fill at least one of these replacement needs via free agency because I'd like to see us draft at least one DE and one Safety (even if Goldston is re-signed) in the the 1st 5 rounds for depth.

WR and CB seem the most promising talent wise as far as the FA class goes. I think we'd be taking a greater risk of overpaying by targeting CB's such as DRC or Sean Smith though. The same goes for Nnamdi if he becomes a free agent.

Wallace and Bowe are far less of a risk of becoming a bust imo. One player who may become a free agent soon that would be intriguing is DHB. At 6'2 and having 4.30 speed he would be a legit option to stretch the field although his hands are only average at best. DHB could probably be had for around $4mill/yr (Stephen Hill would have also provided elite stretching ability :()

As far as Jenkings goes I really hope he comes on soon, I can't stand the thought of that whole draft class being a non-factor for another year. I did think it was funny to see how similar Jenkins is to Wallace in some respects. I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted with Wallace's skill set in mind.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes sir, I'm on board with releasing or trading (Smith) everyone of those guys you mentioned as well as NOT re-signing Sopoaga. So with 28 million that leaves the following positions to be filled:

NT
CB
WR
Backup OLB
Backup QB
C (Kilgore a possibility but I'd like to see someone added)
K

It would be nice to fill at least one of these replacement needs via free agency because I'd like to see us draft at least one DE and one Safety (even if Goldston is re-signed) in the the 1st 5 rounds for depth.

WR and CB seem the most promising talent wise as far as the FA class goes. I think we'd be taking a greater risk of overpaying by targeting CB's such as DRC or Sean Smith though. The same goes for Nnamdi if he becomes a free agent.

Wallace and Bowe are far less of a risk of becoming a bust imo. One player who may become a free agent soon that would be intriguing is DHB. At 6'2 and having 4.30 speed he would be a legit option to stretch the field although his hands are only average at best. DHB could probably be had for around $4mill/yr (Stephen Hill would have also provided elite stretching ability :()

As far as Jenkings goes I really hope he comes on soon, I can't stand the thought of that whole draft class being a non-factor for another year. I did think it was funny to see how similar Jenkins is to Wallace in some respects. I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted with Wallace's skill set in mind.
I would release Smith, Manningham, Goodwin, Akers, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Haralson and Rogers. These eight players would save $28.97m in cap room AFTER cap hits due to signing bonuses/guaranteed money. Six of these eight players will be UFA's in 2014. The two exceptions are Smith and Rogers who also happen to be the two most expensive players.

Here's the 11 UFA's that we have who'll be off the books once the new league year starts - Jacobs/$1.575m (yes, I know he's already gone but his 2012 salary isnt off the books until the new league year starts), Moss/$2.5m, Ginn/$1.375m, Walker/$1.905m, L. Davis/$950k, Sopoaga/$4.955m, Jean Francois/$626k, Haggans/$1m, Grant/$1.26m, Gooden/$540k and Goldson/$6.212m under the franchise tag. These 11 players would add $22.898m in cap room. Adding that to the $28.97m from releasing those eight players would total $51.868m in cap room not counting whatever cap room they're carrying over from 2012 which I think was under $1m. Basically, $52m in cap room. My opinion of these 11 UFA's -

Jacobs - Nothing really to be said. Long gone. Never wanted. Good riddance.

Moss - Waste of $2.5m. Also never wanted. Was hoping he was going to break out but even as a starter in the Super Bowl, he was our 4th best receiver after Davis, Crabtree and Walker. That's just sad for a guy who claims that he's the greatest WR of all time. Dont want his complaining old washed up ass anywhere near SF in 2013.

Walker - Kaepernick's second favorite target after Crabtree. Must re-sign. I would go as high as $5m per season on a 3 year deal. Only complaint is his number of drops but because he can do so much on offense in regards to creating mismatches and where he can line up at the LOS, I think that he's the second UFA that we should definitely re-sign.

L. Davis - Old washed up veteran. Bye bye.
Sopoaga - Only played in 35% of the defensive snaps because we played nickel defense majority of the time which uses Smith/Smith/McDonald/Brooks as the front four with Willis/Bowman at LB and 5 defensive backs. Not needed. Is 31 or 32 years old. Forget which. Either way, goodbye.

Jean Francois - Third player on my re-sign list. Not a must but I dont think he'll demand a lot of money at all. Would pay him between $2-3m a season. Would like to see him play NT when we're in base 3-4 sets. Can play DE. Also, dont want only one NT (Ian Williams) going into the draft.

Haggans - Old and washed up. Done. Bye bye.

Grant - For $2m or less a season, I would keep him because if Willis or Bowman get injured and miss games, im confident that Grant can step right in and the defense wouldnt lose much at all. Grant proved that in 2011 when Willis was injured. Is still young and is good on special teams.

Gooden - For $1m or less a season, I would keep him because he's excellent on special teams and after losing Costanzo a year ago, I dont want to see him leave too. Good veteran presence but still young and worth keeping in my opinion at that price or less.

Goldson - Easily, our number one UFA and priority number one is to re-sign him to a long term deal. I would go as high as $8m a season on a 4 year deal. At worse, he'll be franchised again at $7.5m which to be honest, isnt that bad at all for a "TOP TEN FS". :P

With $52m in cap room, even if you subtract $8m for Goldson, $5m for Walker, $3m for Jean Francois, $2m for Grant and $1m for Gooden, that would leave $33m in cap room for 2013. Even if you max out at $12m for Wallace for 2013, that still leaves $21m in cap room. No way the entire draft class surpasses $11m total. By the way, I LOVE that there's a rookie draft class salary cap. No more overpaying rookies. I love that and its exactly the way it should be.

That still leaves $10m in cap room. Only other free agent I would go after would be a veteran QB to backup Kaepernick. Whether it be a Hasselbeck, McCoy, Josh Johnson, Fitzpatrick or whoever would be available, it wouldnt matter because I dont want the backup QB being a threat or anything to Kaepernick. I want to make sure that there's no doubt or question who the starting QB is even if Kaepernick was to decline but I honestly dont think that would happen unless half the offense gets injured. Veteran QB would be cheap, probably minimum. If cant sign one by training camp, I just go with Tolzien because after all, no point in keeping him either if he's not at least capable of being the backup to Kaepernick. My preference would be Josh Johnson because he would be a cheap veteran who was here already.

The rest of the cap room could be held onto going into the season in case of injuries. Once maybe November or December hits, I would try to extend players like Whitner, Brown, Justin Smith, etc. who's contracts expire a year from now unless of course by that time, any of them have declined to where they're not worth extending.

As for FA, I would only go after Wallace (and Josh Johnson if available or wait for a veteran QB to be released). Thats it. No need to go after anyone else because with 11 draft picks, all the other players that I would release or let leave as UFA's can be replaced by younger, cheaper players with at least four year contracts who have far bigger upside and potential.

Draft wise, im hoping for the best 3-4 RDE at 31 who'll fit our defense, has a high motor, can backup and eventually replace Justin Smith.

Second round would be the best pass rushing OLB to replace Haralson/Haggans. Again, from what I have read, this is supposed to be perhaps the deepest position in the draft so I think that we can easily get one. This guy would backup Aldon/Brooks and give them a break when needed. Would allow us to move on from Haralson. Would NOT let this guy play special teams though because as a situational pass rusher, I would want to make sure there's as little chance of him getting injured as possible. Darius Fleming/Cam Johnson would battle it our for the 4th OLB spot.

Third round would be for the best possible center unless Kilgore is ready. Either way is fine by me. I just want that young center/QB combination to be set instead of a veteran (Goodwin) who'll be gone in 2014 anyway.

Other positions would be a nickelback (I actually want that Mathieu guy because despite his problems, he's a turnover machine. Since we declined in getting turnovers on defense last season compared to 2011, that alone makes him worth the risk) and kicker to replace Akers. Probably 4th round for kicker. Second third round pick for a nickelback who's worth taking. If not, I push that down a few rounds for Mathieu.

WR (big redzone target, mid rounds)
LT to backup Staley
RG to backup Boone
RT to backup Davis
NT to be the third guy and possibly replace what Sopoaga/Tukuafu do on offense in the power running game
LDE to replace Dobbs/Tukuafu/whoever backs up McDonald.

That would be my plan. Granted, losing four starters (Manningham, Goodwin, Sopoaga and Rogers) may seem hard to replace but since Sopoaga was used 1/3 of the time and is over 30, Goodwin also being over 30 and one year left on his contract, Manningham having one year on his contract and is expected to be on the PUP list for the first six weeks of the season and Rogers who quite honestly sucks in my opinion and shouldnt have been re-signed a year ago, we're not losing much/if anything. If anything, adding better talent, youth is actually a far better idea short term and long term.

Wallace replaces Manningham, Kilgore or a rookie replaces Goodwin on offense. 9/11 starters return with youth replacing Goodwin and Wallace being an upgrade over Manningham/Moss/Williams/Jenkins/Ginn/whoever.

On defense, Jean Francois steps into the NT role which wouldnt make much of a difference because the NT doesnt play a lot in our defensive scheme. Normally, a NT is arguably the most important position in a 3-4 defense but not for the way Fangio runs it. Culliver replaces Rogers as a starter which he should have done this past season. Cox moves into nickel or stays in dime depending on the drafted rookie CB. 9/11 starters return.

To me, the turnover sounds and looks worse than what it actually is. 14 players total would be gone based on who I would let leave as UFA's and released players. Minimum of 11 players get added via the draft with only ONE of the 11 being a possible starter in 2013 (center) while the rest provide young, cheap backup depth and special teams ability. Wallace replaces the second WR and eventually, a veteran backup QB replaces Smith.

Of course, except for Smith, I dont see any of those players getting released before FA starts or if at all. I think Baalke/Harbaugh are going to keep the entire team intact and hope they can win the Super Bowl next year with the same exact team that lost the Super Bowl this year. Yes, I realize that this doenst make any sense whatsoever but thats what I think Baalke/Harbaugh are going to do.

Except for Goldson, our UFA's are all 50/50 on returning. Walker is probably the only other UFA who might be higher than 50/50 in returning.

I already know that this team isnt going after Wallace (or Bowe) and will probably just add some average, injury prone or old washed up veteran WR for depth. Any FA signings will be minor at best. Granted, could always find a damn good player in those minor signings but to be honest, I dont see that happening because the starters are already pretty much set.

Either way, just have to wait and see what happens.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Why do you always make it your goal to shoot down anything anyone says that's positive? I think if the Niners won the Super Bowl you'd be finding everything you could to ***** about. You would probably complain about the way they won it.
I'm just sharing my feelings on what I took from the report as a reader. Everyone is still allowed to voice their opinion on matters here correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Except maybe for the fact that Aaron Rodgers and that Packers team had several more years of experience together?
Meh. That didn't screw the passing game over this year with Kaepernick when he took control. And there have been experienced offensive groups in the past that have come into the season and stunk it up. Every year is different.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Those were team workouts. A team who had just won the Super Bowl. In a off-season when they were supposed to be training anyway. Again, totally irrevelant to two players taking a week off after a tough loss, and are right back to training, trying their best to be great. They pretty much gave themselves a bye week and its back to football. Aldon's shoulder isn't even 100% and he's doing MMA training. That's rare to see in young players, I don't care how you spin it. I understand a guy like AJ Jenkins, who has a lot to still prove, being motivated to prove the naysayers wrong. Or a Kyle Williams, after a disastrous NFCCG, letting that disappointment fuel him into getting better a week after the loss. But these two guys, after the kind of year they had, its rare that they're back at it so quickly. Of course everyone knows that they'll train and try to get better eventually. But to have that drive so quickly after the season is refreshing to see, especially for young players.
The goal is to still get better though. Different approaches and time frames, but the goals are the same. And that's fine. Whatever Colin or Aldon need to do to make themselves believe they'll be better, that's fine. Just as a fan I've seen plenty of these stories year in and year out. I'd be surprised if we look back midseason next year or when the playoffs arrive and thank God that Aldon took up MMA training. I hope it at least works out for him better than it did Matt Leinart when there was chirping about him taking up that activity and it didn't do **** for him as an NFL player. Or When Chad Johnson took up boxing. Again, it's the offseason. News is slow. Them not sitting on their ass and having a good attitude about the future is the positive I take out of it. Essentially doing what they're supposed to be doing for their team.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-17-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Mid-round big red-zone WR= Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Because it's Baalke's job to make sure he doesn't let a commodity with tremendous value (historically speaking) walk away for absolutely nothing in return.
Its not going to happen. The same guy who generated virtually no intrest last year as a free agent is going to suddenly going magically fetch us a decent draft pick? Don't see it. Releasing him helps us as much as it helps him so its not like he's walking away for nothing. I just don't see a market for Alex at this point. Alex isn't going anywhere to be the face of the franchise. He's going somewhere to probably be the stop-gap until a team develops a young QB. So he'll have at least 1-2 years to prove himself. Some would argue that's not worth 7.5 mil a year. If anyone trades for him, I'll be shock. I think teams are more willing to let us play our hand. Let the deadline for Alex's salary for 2013 pass and see how we play it. See if we eat that 7.5 and keep him aorund or release him. That would be the smart thing to do.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-17-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mid-round big red-zone WR= Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
Big-time upside. Can't block though.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I'm not expecting anything from jenkins in 2013 which is one of the many reasons why I want Wallace. I have already posted why I want Wallace. I just dont see the point in paying $4m to Manningham who'll most likely start the season the PUP list for six weeks or re-signing Moss for $2.5m and get NOTHING in return. To me, that $6.5m is a far bigger waste of money than spending the $10-12m on Wallace because when you look at the last four years, Wallace has been more productive than both of them COMBINED. Seriously, who would you rather have?

49ers need to cut the fat which includes Alex Smith, Mario Manningham, Jonathan Goodwin, Parys Haralson, Carlos Rogers and David Akers. These six players alone would save $27.87m for 2013 alone and thats AFTER whatever cap hits they take for these players.
I don't know why i'm about to debate Dan because it's like debating dry wall but i'm going to try anyway. Dan you really are already calling Jenkins a bust? You really don't expect anything from him next year? I know this is one of your typical knee jerk reactions and since he had one pass go his way that was dropped the sky is falling and he should be out of the league. Jenkins wasn't drafted for an instant impact. If San Fran wanted a guy to contribute as a rookie they would have gone elsewhere. I can't say that I am surprised by this reaction but it still makes me laugh.

As far as free agents Manningham is going into a contract year and he's not making that much money so unless he isn't healthy there is no reason to cut him. You are also REALLY underrating Goodwins value. Goodwin is the glue for that offensive line. Guys like Looney and Kilgore might be physically better players right now, but his football IQ and his leadership complete that group which is VERY important. He isn't going to be as easy to replace as you think because guys with that combination are HARD to find. He only has one year left on his deal and unless one of those young guys is ready to fill that role let him play it out.

Cutting Haralson also is not a good idea until a replacement IS found. He's proven and very stout against the run and a solid pass rusher his depth was greatly missed this year. That's not to say that Fleming couldn't take his job or someone that is brought it in but for the time being he should stay. He is also going into the final year of his contract.