Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Once I've started to breakdown the prospects more, Johathan Jenkins and Hankins are two prospects that started to slide. Yes they are space eaters and can be assets against the run, but in today's NFL if you're taking a defensive linemen in round one, he better have the ability to get after the passer.

I make the comment after Witten has them 19th and 23rd on his big board.
I agree with that, I am one of the few people who thinks John Jenkins has pass rush potential as a 1 or 0 tech. I am anxious to see what his 10 yard split is going to be but for a player of his size he has the ability to drive off the snap with some explosion. At the seniorbowl he had moments that he dominated in 1v1's and he is going to dictate a double on most plays. In a 4 man line he is the type of player who makes the pass rush better by freeing up the three tech and ends up to do damage.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I agree with that, I am one of the few people who thinks John Jenkins has pass rush potential as a 1 or 0 tech. I am anxious to see what his 10 yard split is going to be but for a player of his size he has the ability to drive off the snap with some explosion. At the seniorbowl he had moments that he dominated in 1v1's and he is going to dictate a double on most plays. In a 4 man line he is the type of player who makes the pass rush better by freeing up the three tech and ends up to do damage.
Jenkins has moments where he looks outstanding, but the very next play he can disappear. I guess if I'm looking for someone to play the 1-technique and be a space eater for my defense, I'm gonna prefer Brandon Williams or Montori Hughes in the 2nd or 3rd round. Those two have also shown a greater ability to get into the backfield even with the extra attention they draw.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Jenkins has moments where he looks outstanding, but the very next play he can disappear. I guess if I'm looking for someone to play the 1-technique and be a space eater for my defense, I'm gonna prefer Brandon Williams or Montori Hughes in the 2nd or 3rd round. Those two have also shown a greater ability to get into the backfield even with the extra attention they draw.
I'm a fan of Williams, he is going to have a learning curve in terms of technique but after the combine he will certainly be a riser. I can almost guarentee Montari Hughes is either going to be pushed way down or all the way taken off our board after the academic circumstances that lead to his dismissal from Tennesee. Especially with his ex-coach at the time Derek Dooley on the staff being able to provide an inside track on his work ethic.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Cooper just put up 35 reps of 225, that puts a smile on my face

Fluker looks like he might be a victim of his 37 in arms only put up 21 reps. Same number as Travis Frederick :/

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 02-22-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Fluker looks like he might be a victim of his 37 in arms only put up 21 reps. Same number as Travis Frederick :/
Man, I'm so bogged down at work to follow the combine!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I want Cooper for Center!

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Warmack measured in at 6'2. Say hello to pick 18 baby!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Warmack measured in at 6'2. Say hello to pick 18 baby!
I've actually been thinking he will be there. I read the other day that Hutchinson is the highest guard to ever be drafted and that was 17. I think there is a very good chance Warmack is there.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Great # of reps for Cooper, that's pretty insane actually considering he wasn't known to be some huge mauler that is incredibly strong, it was his athleticism. Also, I've been of the belief Warmack would be there also. Not expecting it obviously, but I'm telling you guys right now if Warmack and Cooper are there at 18 and we go in another direction I will punch kittens in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If history is any indication, we'll have the chance to draft Warmack or Cooper or both.

I'd be pleased as anything with this because it replaces a non-NFL talent with elite talent could unlock the offense and allow us to play ball control offense which can only help the D.

One can only hope........
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Wow. Great # of reps for Cooper, that's pretty insane actually considering he wasn't known to be some huge mauler that is incredibly strong, it was his athleticism. Also, I've been of the belief Warmack would be there also. Not expecting it obviously, but I'm telling you guys right now if Warmack and Cooper are there at 18 and we go in another direction I will punch kittens in the face.
I could settle for Fluker as a guy who starts as guard but has the flexibility to kick outside to tackle.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Man, how awesome would it be to get Warmack at 18 and Cooper be there in the 2nd?!

As awesome as that would be, I just don't see Cooper being there at our 2nd.

I'd settle for this:

1st - Warmack
2nd - Cyprian
3rd - B Jones
4th - Gillislee

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I could settle for Fluker as a guy who starts as guard but has the flexibility to kick outside to tackle.
That's why I like him so much, his 3rd behind Warmack/Cooper for me, I don't even know how to grade those 2 and don't care. Fluker I would like to put at Guard year 1, then replace Parnell outside in year 2 and go right back to the well for another Guard.

But all 3 of those guys are gone in the first 25 picks for sure. We could get a guy like Warford in the 2nd, and plenty Centers in the mid rounds. But I would like a potential elite player up front. I don't want to neglect the D, I just don't want to get Tony killed and have Murray dance in the backfield 90% of the time. He's got tools to be elite with a guy like Warmack.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Probably, but it's not gonna affect his stock. When teams watch film on Fluker power and strength gets checked off within the first minute.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
That's why I like him so much, his 3rd behind Warmack/Cooper for me, I don't even know how to grade those 2 and don't care. Fluker I would like to put at Guard year 1, then replace Parnell outside in year 2 and go right back to the well for another Guard.

But all 3 of those guys are gone in the first 25 picks for sure. We could get a guy like Warford in the 2nd, and plenty Centers in the mid rounds. But I would like a potential elite player up front. I don't want to neglect the D, I just don't want to get Tony killed and have Murray dance in the backfield 90% of the time. He's got tools to be elite with a guy like Warmack.
If we address the line it is either going to be guys with versatility like a G/T combo player like Fluker, Long, Dallas Thomas, or Justin Pugh or G/C prospects in Cooper, Barrett Jones, or Travis Frederick. The one exception would be Warmck. Doug Free is going to be back next season, it cost the same amount to keep him as it does to cut him and eat the accelerated bonus's. I expect a camp battle to see who starts at RT while we develop someone at Guard who can eventually kick outside. If we pass in the first round I expect the opposite, to draft a guard who can play center in a pinch.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
If we address the line it is either going to be guys with versatility like a G/T combo player like Fluker, Long, Dallas Thomas, or Justin Pugh or G/C prospects in Cooper, Barrett Jones, or Travis Frederick. The one exception would be Warmck. Doug Free is going to be back next season, it cost the same amount to keep him as it does to cut him and eat the accelerated bonus's. I expect a camp battle to see who starts at RT while we develop someone at Guard who can eventually kick outside. If we pass in the first round I expect the opposite, to draft a guard who can play center in a pinch.
You really think Free will be back? I get it will be the same cost, but he hurts the team by being out there. Even if he is a reserve, if he has to play he hurts the team. I just feel like Free is like having nobody out there. I'd rather cut our losses, but I've seen a few reports saying we may not cut him and it makes me nervous.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
You really think Free will be back? I get it will be the same cost, but he hurts the team by being out there. Even if he is a reserve, if he has to play he hurts the team. I just feel like Free is like having nobody out there. I'd rather cut our losses, but I've seen a few reports saying we may not cut him and it makes me nervous.
If you cut him you pay $10,020,000 to go play somewhere else and then you are putting out at least another Mil to get a cheap swing tackle on top of possibly drafting depth. He has 48 starts under his belt, I don't want him on the field if he gets torn apart like last year but he isn't a horrible swing option if you are paying him anyway.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...l-measurements

Good measurement details on OL today....

Some numbers that caught my eye.

Khaled, Holmes - 13 reps.....
Frederick, Travis - 21...long arms but still below average
Fluker - 21...long arms but shoulda preformed better
Cooper - 35 reps was his goal so that boads well for him
Aboushi, Oday - 17...weak
Bailey, Alvin - 27 reps
Lane Johnson got 28...I'd still love to have him one more than Joekel
Mills, Jordan - 20...similar to Fluker imo
Quessenberry, David - 25 was a good number for him...like him on the inside in round 3 or 4
Warford, Larry - 28 reps solid
Schwenke, Brian - 31 is a eye opener to me...thought he was tied to ZBS....interesting round 3/4 name.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...l-measurements

Good measurement details on OL today....

Some numbers that caught my eye.

Khaled, Holmes - 13 reps.....
Frederick, Travis - 21...long arms but still below average
Fluker - 21...long arms but shoulda preformed better
Cooper - 35 reps was his goal so that boads well for him
Aboushi, Oday - 17...weak
Bailey, Alvin - 27 reps
Lane Johnson got 28...I'd still love to have him one more than Joekel
Mills, Jordan - 20...similar to Fluker imo
Quessenberry, David - 25 was a good number for him...like him on the inside in round 3 or 4
Warford, Larry - 28 reps solid
Schwenke, Brian - 31 is a eye opener to me...thought he was tied to ZBS....interesting round 3/4 name.
Fragel surprised me the most with his 33 reps, if he blows up the 40 he might sky rocket up boards
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Those are interesting thule.

Holmes - 13 is unbelievable. Injury?
Frederick - 21 that is low. Broaddus has made comments about not being crazy about him. Doesn't play with power and lets defenders get into his body.
Fluker - 21 shouldn't hurt him because of his tape.
Cooper - his stock is going to rise after this weekend.
Aboushi - I still like him but might not be ready week 1.
Bailey - Like him
Lane J - He will prob be gone by 18. very good player.
Schwenke - very surprised. very interesting name in the 4th.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

And I've been trumpeting TJ Johnson - 32 is a good number for him. 6'4" 310.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Mike Mayock on Cooper: "The further he gets away from the ball the better he is. When they pull him and he gets out to the 2nd level he is special"

This is why I primarily want Cooper at Guard. I just don't feel like your taking advantage of a ton of positives in his game. Not that an athletic Center isn't great to have, but he's not going to be pulling, moving off the ball, getting to he 2nd level nearly as much as Guard.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Those are interesting thule.

Holmes - 13 is unbelievable. Injury?
Frederick - 21 that is low. Broaddus has made comments about not being crazy about him. Doesn't play with power and lets defenders get into his body.
Fluker - 21 shouldn't hurt him because of his tape.
Cooper - his stock is going to rise after this weekend.
Aboushi - I still like him but might not be ready week 1.
Bailey - Like him
Lane J - He will prob be gone by 18. very good player.
Schwenke - very surprised. very interesting name in the 4th.

Yes, definately. He injured his pec during the bench, because that's way too low. I still like him too, he looked pretty athetic to me.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

The best thing about Cooper is that he can plug and play right away at RG. Even though he played LG in college he is better served using his athleticism to combat 3 techs in pass protection then locking up with nose tackles at either LG or C. The would also help with the continuity Tyron and Livings started to develop toward the end of the season and allow Bernie to challenge for the starting center, where he he could maximize his abilities IMO.

Also, he adds the dimension of an elite pulling guard who has the athleticism to get to the second level or kick all the way across the formation as a lead blocker. He can easily bulk up to 315 by the start of the season and will be effective on both man and ZBS. It makes so much sense that is scares me, at this point I actually give him the edge over Warmack for our scheme.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
The best thing about Cooper is that he can plug and play right away at RG. Even though he played LG in college he is better served using his athleticism to combat 3 techs in pass protection then locking up with nose tackles at either LG or C. The would also help with the continuity Tyron and Livings started to develop toward the end of the season and allow Bernie to challenge for the starting center, where he he could maximize his abilities IMO.

Also, he adds the dimension of an elite pulling guard who has the athleticism to get to the second level or kick all the way across the formation as a lead blocker. He can easily bulk up to 315 by the start of the season and will be effective on both man and ZBS. It makes so much sense that is scares me, at this point I actually give him the edge over Warmack for our scheme.

Agree 100% great post. For the bolded part, this reminded me of this I read about Livings last month and why I agree so much:

Quote:
The Numbers

Allowing five sacks obviously isn’t good, but Livings also got a bit unlucky. The left guard allowed pressure on Tony Romo on just 1.9 percent of his snaps in pass protection, yet Romo went down 26.3 percent of the time Livings allowed his man to get through. In comparison, Bernadeau allowed pressure at nearly twice the rate of Livings—3.2 percent—yet Romo got sacked on only 20.0 percent of those pressures.

In this way, you can see why pressures are not only a better indicator of pass protection than sacks, but also a superior predictor of future protection. If we were to bet on who would allow the lowest number of sacks in 2013, it would be foolish to choose Bernadeau over Livings, even though the two were just one sack apart this year.

Livings also outperformed Bernadeau in the running game. As I mentioned last week, I track three players as blocking at the point-of-attack on each running play, and the Cowboys totaled only 3.18 YPC with Bernadeau at the point in 2012. That’s bad. With Livings blocking at the point, however, the ‘Boys were a lot better, averaging 3.92 YPC.

Here’s the most interesting stat of all: Livings was at the point on just 86 runs in 2012, compared to 151 for Bernadeau, showing just how “right-handed” the Cowboys’ running game is when working the ball inside. There’s no question the Cowboys need to run left more often in 2013, especially in short-yardage situations.

Final 2012 Grade

Livings was hardly sensational in 2012, but he was a whole lot better than most people think. Again, sacks stick out in your mind; you likely watched a handful of plays this year and noted how poorly Livings blocked, but you probably didn’t see a big play downfield and think, “Wow, Nate Livings really blocked well on that play.”

If the Cowboys are going to upgrade one of interior line positions (which they should), it needs to be right guard. With Tyron Smith and Livings on the left side, Phil Costa back in action at center, and a revamped right side, the Cowboys’ offensive line should be much-improved in 2013.

Grade: C+
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...al-grade.html/

This shows Livings wasn't bad, not pro bowler but not bad. This is why I want to revamp the right side. The first bolded part, I thought was interesting about "point of attack". Imagine what a guy like Cooper is going to rank in that grading scale and how effective the running game could be with him averaging 4+ at point of attack and Livings right at 4. That's a huge difference. Revamping the right side also includes getting rid of Free, so that would ruin my whole dream of an improved offensive line.

Have a feeling Free is about to be our new Alan Ball and Jacque Reeves. The guy who sucked mercifully that we were forced to watch and had no clue why they were still on the team for so long.

Quote: