Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup, Young is out...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...AmPKX4.twitter
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Have to think Tim Walton and Coach Fisher sat down and talked about Titus. That or Walton wants Delmas on this team!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Have to think Tim Walton and Coach Fisher sat down and talked about Titus. That or Walton wants Delmas on this team!
I guess it's possible they consulted with Walton, but Fisher said at a press conference today that Young has been at Rams Park for 4-5 days this week to interview and what not, and the Rams determined then that he wasn't a fit. Sounds like they just took a flier on him when he became available, and once they had him in to talk to him in person, were no longer interested.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Fisher elaborates on their approach behind Young...

Quote:
"We saw Titus as an outstanding young player," Fisher said. "The things that took place in Detroit were well-documented, from a media standpoint. We did not do any background research as far as contacting anybody at Detroit. We're all about trying to improve this roster. We felt like by claiming Titus, we felt we'd have an opportunity to spend a good deal of time with him."

Fisher stated the Rams also considered not putting in a claim, bringing in Young for an interview only if he cleared waivers. The team ultimately decided there was a greater appeal to having a more thorough interview while holding the player's rights as opposed to dealing with him as a free agent.

The Rams brought Young in to their team facilities and conducted interviews and physicals over the course of five days. After completing the evaluation process, the team decided the troubled receiver wasn't a good fit for their organization.

"We felt like we had a good, young group and felt Titus was perhaps better suited for another organization," Fisher said.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow that was fast! We didn't even get a chance to find out how big of an asshole he really is:-)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Recent mocks have Jonathan Cyprien going early in the second and late in the first. One that I saw actually had him going at #21. I really like him, but I liked him a lot more when I thought we could have him in the 3rd round.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott's latest mock has us selecting Vaccaro and Fluker in the 1st round.

Fluker makes sense. But I'm still not sold on Vaccaro, I don't think he's worth a top 32 selection.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Recent mocks have Jonathan Cyprien going early in the second and late in the first. One that I saw actually had him going at #21. I really like him, but I liked him a lot more when I thought we could have him in the 3rd round.
Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen a guy rise so much after the Senior Bowl. I still have Cyprien as a second rounder behind Vaccaro, Elam, and Reid, but he could move up depending on how he stands up next to those top three at the Combine. Honestly, I haven't seen much of him in the field at all, so I'll be watching him closely in Indy.

Quote:

Fluker makes sense. But I'm still not sold on Vaccaro, I don't think he's worth a top 32 selection.
I'd be fine with both picks, assuming Warmack is off the board.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen a guy rise so much after the Senior Bowl. I still have Cyprien as a second rounder behind Vaccaro, Elam, and Reid, but he could move up depending on how he stands up next to those top three at the Combine. Honestly, I haven't seen much of him in the field at all, so I'll be watching him closely in Indy.

I'd be fine with both picks, assuming Warmack is off the board.
I still think Cyprien probably ends up going in the 2nd round. Early hype doesn't necessarily translate to a high draft slot. There is always another guy that comes along that gets everyone's attention.

At #16 the only linemen I am comfortable with are Johnson or Warmack. At #22 I would also be okay with Cooper, and maybe Fluker. I question whether or not Fluker has much versatility when it comes to playing multiple positions. With Warmack I am confident that he could dominate at any of the 3 interior positions, and could also be very good at either tackle position if he had to play there due to injuries. I think the key to a strong line these days is having guys who can play multiple positions. That's why Long intrigues me so much.

I am also thinking more and more that we will likely trade out of the 1st round with one of those picks, especially if Glennon or Wilson are falling and we could get a 2014 1st rounder in exchange. Just visualize Jadeveon Clowney in Blue & Gold:-)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think Ogletree is a good athlete but I'm not that high on him as a football player, anyone watch him? Am I missing something? I think he's more late 2nd, early 3rd.
You may have inadvertently predicted the future, what with his recent DUI arrest. ;)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
You may have inadvertently predicted the future, what with his recent DUI arrest. ;)
Ah you know I do what I can
Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

You know, when we trade out of the 1st round we will likely pick up an extra 2nd rounder...

One thing that has me so stoked about our HC & GM is that they value a player's ceiling way more than his floor, where in past regimes it seemed that they were more after the safe player. I'm really excited to see some of these guys realize their potential. I see Pead and Quick making huge strides this year.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know, when we trade out of the 1st round we will likely pick up an extra 2nd rounder...

One thing that has me so stoked about our HC & GM is that they value a player's ceiling way more than his floor, where in past regimes it seemed that they were more after the safe player. I'm really excited to see some of these guys realize their potential. I see Pead and Quick making huge strides this year.
Trading out of the 1st for extra picks may be tough this year, this draft is very deep and a 2nd rounder will be worth his weight in gold, more likely, you would have to accept a 2nd in next year's draft so a trade may never take place since there is so much talent in this year's draft.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Trading out of the 1st for extra picks may be tough this year, this draft is very deep and a 2nd rounder will be worth his weight in gold, more likely, you would have to accept a 2nd in next year's draft so a trade may never take place since there is so much talent in this year's draft.
That is very possible. A lot will depend on how much value is ultimately placed on this year's QB class. If none go in the first 15-20 picks then sitting at #16 and #22 could be very advantageous. Sometimes it works in mysterious ways. The trade the Browns made for Brady Quinn was a perfect example; they needed a tackle and a QB, so they took the tackle early and then gave up their #2 and next year's #1 for Quinn. Sometimes teams are willing to give up too much for a player, especially a QB, if they can delay the pick(s) until next year's draft. If Geno Smith is still sitting there at #16 then I believe there will be interest; if anyone of the group out of Smith/Barkley/Wilson/Glennon is there at #22 then there will be a lot of interest. And it would be a great move for the Rams if the opportunity presents itself, because if they could get a 2014 1st rounder from one of the QB-needy teams (KC/Oakland/Philly/Buffalo/Arizona/Jacksonville) that pick could very well end up being in the top 5-10.

Just imagine...Jadeveon Clowney AND Marquise Lee in Blue and Gold...
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Okay, here I go with another mock...just a little insight to my thought process going into the Combine.

1) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

2) Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU

3) Brian Winters, G, Kent St.

4) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

5) DJ Hayden, OLB, Houston

6) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

7) Walter Stewart, DE, Cincinnati

Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Okay, here I go with another mock...just a little insight to my thought process going into the Combine.

1) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

2) Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU

3) Brian Winters, G, Kent St.

4) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

5) DJ Hayden, OLB, Houston

6) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

7) Walter Stewart, DE, Cincinnati

Any thoughts?
I mean, I wouldn't hate an OT and a WR in the first but the likelihood or BOTH of those positions just seems very low to me. Fisher not taking some kind of defensive talent in the 1st in this draft, particularly, would be very surprising to me. I think if Short or maybe one of the DEs (if we don't re-sign Hayes) falls, then that would be the pick at 16 or 22. Other than that I like the picks overall. Especially Cyprien in the in the second and Lattimore in the 4th. My man crush on Marcus is quite large.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
I mean, I wouldn't hate an OT and a WR in the first but the likelihood or BOTH of those positions just seems very low to me. Fisher not taking some kind of defensive talent in the 1st in this draft, particularly, would be very surprising to me. I think if Short or maybe one of the DEs (if we don't re-sign Hayes) falls, then that would be the pick at 16 or 22. Other than that I like the picks overall. Especially Cyprien in the in the second and Lattimore in the 4th. My man crush on Marcus is quite large.
I agree...Fisher does draft in favor of defense at about a 60/40 ratio. I think the best chance for a defensive player at #16 would be if either Jordan or Ansah were to fall. Maybe Short at #22...I think he could team with Brockers to be one of the best duos in the league.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

4 Pick Test

Okay, here's the test...You have the Rams' first 4 picks in this year's draft...and you need to take the following...

1 offensive lineman
1 receiving weapon
1 safety
1 other player, at any position

Your picks need to be fairly reasonable as far as players who could actually be there.

My entry...

1a) Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. At first I didn't think he would be there, but Mayock is saying he will fall some due to only playing at the Div 1 level for one year. If he is gone, Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma; Chance Warmack, G, Alabama.

1b) Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina. If we took a lineman due to Patterson being off the board at #16, Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia.

2) Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU.

3) Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Top 15 Picks

There are some guys that you don't even bother dreaming about when your pick sits at #16 because it is a given that they will be off the board. I would like to start compiling that list, so that it will become more clear as to who will likely be left to choose from. The following are players that I have been regularly hearing in top 10 consideration.

Luke Joeckel
Eric Fisher
Star Lotulelei
Bjorn Werner
Damontre Moore
Dion Jordan
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo
Dee Milliner
Sharrif Floyd

The next group is guys that are being talked about as fringe top 10-15 players.

Ezekiel Ansah
Sam Montgomery
Sheldon Richardson
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper
Cordarrelle Patterson

I left the QB's out because I think it is a total crap shoot whether or not any of them are considered 1st rounders. Honestly, I think that there is either a run on them early or they are all there at #16. In any case, the idea of this to to come up with a list of guys that will NOT be there when we draft so that we can take them out of consideration. Who do you think is a sure-fire lock to go in the top 15?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:

I have to say I disagree with Scott's mocks a lot of the time, especially when it comes to the Rams' picks. In this particular mock, I don't see any way we take Vaccaro at #16 and pass on Lane Johnson and Ansah. I also don't see us taking Fluker over Cooper at #22. In the 2nd he has us taking Terrance Williams, who fits a need, but has shown little and is not a high-ceiling player.

He also has Tavon Austin falling to the 2nd round, and both Kyle Long and Jonathan Cyprien falling to the 3rd. Alec Ogletree at #21. It's almost as if he has done so much of his work weeks ago and was unwilling to make changes as guys have been moving up or down the boards.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
4 Pick Test

Okay, here's the test...You have the Rams' first 4 picks in this year's draft...and you need to take the following...

1 offensive lineman
1 receiving weapon
1 safety

Your picks need to be fairly reasonable as far as players who could actually be there.
Sounds fun. Here's something different...

R1a. OG Jonathan Cooper
R1b. WR DeAndre Hopkins
R2. OT Kyle Long
R3. FS Phillip Thomas

I projected Cooper @ 16 because I have doubts he makes it by Dallas, New York, and Chicago. I think Hopkins is right there with Austin as the #3 WR in this class, depending on what a team wants, and could overtake Allen as the #2 prospect. Long seems to be a favorite among Rams fans and would certainly be a strong fit. Phillip Thomas in the third may be optimistic, but I love his style of play and I think he fits what Fisher likes defensively.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I like it...I would be happy with any of those picks, although I must admit I know little of Phillip Thomas other than reading about him on these forums. I will have to look at him a little more closely.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
4 Pick Test

1 offensive lineman
1 receiving weapon
1 safety

Hmm...

1. Lane Johnson OT
1. DeAndre Hopkins WR
2. Tavon Austin WR
3. DJ Swearinger S
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hmm...

1. Lane Johnson OT
1. DeAndre Hopkins WR
2. Tavon Austin WR
3. DJ Swearinger S
I'll be shocked if Austin is there in the middle of the second round. Unofficial sub-4.3 forty today should clinch him in the first, IMO.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Austin ran in the 4.2s? Oh my...I may need to change my picks again:-)
Closed Thread