Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
That is the issue, we have a definite window with Eli. I hope he plays as long as his brother, Brady etc; but we need to maximise our opporunities that we have right now.

I suspect that Oline isn't as dire as people think, we do have some young talent developing in the system and we don't always do the popular option.
Moves under Coughlin that I was very skeptical about were signing O'Hara, moving Diehl to LT to replace Petitgout and starting Boothe. they all turned out ok with solid performances.

I think we have to trust in Reese and the coaching staff, I think we have perhaps the best line coach in Flahrety, he is very under rated and doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

With that said, we have invested significant resources at times in the line, drafting Snee and Beatty in the second round plus the FA signing of McKenzie; when we do invest significantly, we usually do it very well.

This would the time to fix the OL before it does totally break. Our offense isn't like Haley's dink and dunk system. We need time for Eli to get a Post snap read and we need time for the WRs to do the same and then run their choice and option routes.

Then, we like to run the ball too, so if you want a truly balanced offense, then you better have a great OL especially if your QB is a pocket passer like Eli is.

Beatty could be re-signed it would be good. But remember, he still is a question mark in terms of full season consistent play. It's not like we can say wait 2-4 years and we will see. By then he will 30-32 years old. We need good to very good play now starting next season. Boothe is good, but more like whatever in my opinion. I am indifferent about him. Baas has yet to play up to his contract and gets hurt. Snee now is a question mark. And Brewer is a complete question mark.

It starts in the trenches on both sides and we have some issues at the OL position.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I actually wouldn't mind if we cut Snee at all. Fortunately Snee was intelligent and married the coaches daughter.
I actually don't think Coughlin would actually allow that personal relationship to impact too much into what happens. I think at work, it is all about Player/Coach and in the down time it is Father/Son in law. I really don't think Coughlin treats Snee (whilst in the facility) that differently from any other player.

The other fact is that the personel moves are Reese's decision; Coughlin can advise but it is Jerry's call. Having said that we do tend to treat players well, but Reese is good at cutting players at the right time. If there was a considerable risk, I do think Reese would cut Snee, but I think the front office are quietly confident Snee will be healthier than he was last year.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
This would the time to fix the OL before it does totally break. Our offense isn't like Haley's dink and dunk system. We need time for Eli to get a Post snap read and we need time for the WRs to do the same and then run their choice and option routes.

Then, we like to run the ball too, so if you want a truly balanced offense, then you better have a great OL especially if your QB is a pocket passer like Eli is.

Beatty could be re-signed it would be good. But remember, he still is a question mark in terms of full season consistent play. It's not like we can say wait 2-4 years and we will see. By then he will 30-32 years old. We need good to very good play now starting next season. Boothe is good, but more like whatever in my opinion. I am indifferent about him. Baas has yet to play up to his contract and gets hurt. Snee now is a question mark. And Brewer is a complete question mark.

It starts in the trenches on both sides and we have some issues at the OL position.
I totally agree.

One guy I actually like is Barrett Jones on the second day; he seems to me like an intriging versatile option.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I like Jones as well and his versatility. He can play guard and center which is big in this system to do many things. I like that pick a lot.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

A lot will depend on what kind of money that William Beatty will attract.

food for thought, are there any linemen out there that could be worth trading for?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like Beatty just internally annoyed at how he will be 28 years old, never started a full year AND now will command a huge contract! I mean WTF!? I am not really thrilled with our OL situation as a whole. Eli is in his prime and we really need to get this thing at a high level so we can do the things we need to do to be successful.
I completely understand where you are coming from, but most of the linemen are around that age and there aren't alot of decent left tackles on the market.

Beatty is probably the third rated LT behind Jake Long and Ryan Clady (will be franchised). After that you are probably looking at Brandon Albert and Sam Baker.

Eli was well protected last year, we should build on that, rather than try to reload.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I was just looking at the Jet's salary cap situation (they are in strife with $84.1m of their 2013 cap invested in 7 players).

Their top cap number is David Harris (off contract after 2014). considering our need at LB, is it worth seeing if he is available by trade (and reworking his deal)?

Excluding his SB, he is due $18.1m in salary and bonuses in the next two years. If we gave Harris a 2 year extension, converting maybe $8m of his salary into a SB, we could get him for around $4.5m a year; by the end of his deal he would be 32. Harris still gets his money and more importantly quite a bit guaranteed.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 02-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any interest in Rey Maualuga? It sounds like he's going to become a FA.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nah. Zero interest personally. He'll probably be somewhat pricey too.

Character concerns with him, not great in coverage and doesn't offer much else other than tackling. Has zero pass rush ability.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Zero pass rush is fine because our system is useless and the LBs rarely blitz and when they do they dont get home anyways. Lol

However, i was thjnking of ray and rivers if we re sign him. I just think that our FO doesnt put that much emphasis at that position. Its not high value for our system.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Zero pass rush is fine because our system is useless and the LBs rarely blitz and when they do they dont get home anyways. Lol

However, i was thjnking of ray and rivers if we re sign him. I just think that our FO doesnt put that much emphasis at that position. Its not high value for our system.
You don't bring in players for long-term and base it completely on the system when there is a very good chance that system might be out the door next year.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
You don't bring in players for long-term and base it completely on the system when there is a very good chance that system might be out the door next year.
True,however pastDCs we had would indicate otherwise. We never needed great Lbs for our 43 systems startinv with tim lewis. Also with more spread formations you are not in base mich of the time anyways. You either are in nickel or dime personnel. So this new offensive emphasis in all levels have impacted this.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Well I just meant don't bring in a LB for a system that might be gone next year. I personally I have no interest in pricey LB's. Get me someone solid/good. Don't waste high draft picks on them, etc.

LB is an overrated position in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Well I just meant don't bring in a LB for a system that might be gone next year. I personally I have no interest in pricey LB's. Get me someone solid/good. Don't waste high draft picks on them, etc.

LB is an overrated position in my opinion.
I think it's a matter of perspective. For a 34 system, those LBs better be good. In a 43 system, it could be if the DC is aggressive and choses to blitz a lot with a LB. In our specific system right now, it's not important. In fact everything seems to be in the pass rush basket which is the 4 down linemen. After that the system can be beaten in the secondary and Lb level.

I do LB is a need but at what round or what price?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

@Jenny Vrentas
Nicks had a scope (presumably on knee), Coughlin said. C David Baas had surgery "on his body." Ok then! #nyg

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...#axzz2LX1GZAJf

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 02-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

from Kffl.com

Quote:
Giants | David Baas undergoes surgery
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:23:55 -0800

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said C David Baas (hip, shoulder, neck) underwent surgery this offseason but would not specify what part of the body needed surgery. Baas had to deal with hip, shoulder and neck injuries during the season. A source said the surgery was done on multiple parts of the body.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
I think it's a matter of perspective. For a 34 system, those LBs better be good. In a 43 system, it could be if the DC is aggressive and choses to blitz a lot with a LB. In our specific system right now, it's not important. In fact everything seems to be in the pass rush basket which is the 4 down linemen. After that the system can be beaten in the secondary and Lb level.

I do LB is a need but at what round or what price?
Not necessarily. OLB's in 3-4's defenses are glorified DE's. It all fits in with the notion that rushing the passer is far more important than your typical LB.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
RUMOR: Two players the Giants like at the combine
Vin_Cuccs : 9:08 am
Don't shoot the messenger

DE Dion Jordan

OL Barrett Jones

Just throwing a rumor out there.

From BBI. I do like Jones, and talked to my former college room mate who lives in oregon, and loves the Ducks. I think Jordan would be a good WILL Lb who can cover opposing Rbs.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I could easily see Barrett Jones as a giant. He seems to be the kind of lineman we like. His versatility will be a plus, he could potentially play any of the OL positions. (I would have excluded LT but we have had Diehl and Locklear do a solid job at LT)

Going by Reese's comments about Teo there could be interest there too

Quote:
“We’re more interested in what kind of football player he is than anything else,” said Reese, who owns the 19th pick in the first round. “These things, I think they get blown out of proportion a little bit. But we’ll investigate it, and we’ll see how it goes.” (ESPN.com)

Last edited by Big_Pete : 02-24-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the more I read and watch on fluker...hot damn the more I want him. I know i've been pounding my chest for defense but...dude's gonna be awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I could easily see Barrett Jones as a giant. He seems to be the kind of lineman we like. His versatility will be a plus, he could potentially play any of the OL positions. (I would have excluded LT but we have had Diehl and Locklear do a solid job at LT)

Going by Reese's comments about Teo there could be interest there too
Yeah he would be perfect because of his versatility. He can play all 5 positions, but the best being guard and center if need be. I like that versatility and think that would be a huge asset for us.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones just seems so unspectacular that I'd hate for us to spend a premium pick on him. Especially when there will be true studs available at our first and second picks.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Jones just seems so unspectacular that I'd hate for us to spend a premium pick on him. Especially when there will be true studs available at our first and second picks.
Unspectacular probably is fair. But that also seems to fit the Giants Oline in general, they aren't usually flashy, but they get the job done.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Unspectacular probably is fair. But that also seems to fit the Giants Oline in general, they aren't usually flashy, but they get the job done.
Which is fine when you're spending mid to late round picks and few FA contracts on them. When you need to invest at least our second to get that performance, I take issue with it.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I'd hope it was another prospect, and I am a fan of Jones. If we deem is 1st round worthy, and draft him, while not ideal, I would be ok with it. He has skill and his versatility is great enough that he can start, and then play other spots when the other OL players go down. That alone is a huge asset for us.