Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
Free Agency
After restructuring and some releases, the Cowboys should have enough room to sign one major free agent and a few minor ones.
Henry Melton, DT, 6-3/295 Age 26

James Casey, FB/TE,6-3/243 Age 28

Patrick Chung, S, 5-11/212 Age 25
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...pg&w=384&h=216

Draft
1(18) - Traded to Buffalo for their 2nd(41) and their 2014 1st.
2A(41) - Giovani Bernard, RB, 5-10/205 North Carolina

2B(47) - Khaseem Greene, OLB, 6-1/236 Rutgers

3(80) - Cornellius Carradine, DE, 6-4/265 Florida State

4(111) - Brian Winters, G/T, 6-4/310 Kent State

5(144) - JJ Wilcox, S, 5-11/214 Georgia Southern

6(175) - Michael Williams,TE, 6-6/269 Alabama
I like the FA pick-ups, maybe minus Casey. I'm not sure we'll go in that direction. However, I'm quite baffled by your draft. You went RB and OLB with our first 2 picks. I'm not sure that's the smartest thing to do with our needs at OL.

With your offseason signings, does that include Spencer getting resigned?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I like the FA pick-ups, maybe minus Casey. I'm not sure we'll go in that direction. However, I'm quite baffled by your draft. You went RB and OLB with our first 2 picks. I'm not sure that's the smartest thing to do with our needs at OL.

With your offseason signings, does that include Spencer getting resigned?
I was going off Jerry's recent comments that the O line was "fine". He talked about Livings and Bernadeau with another year under their system, the return of a healthy Costa, and the promise of Parnell. This has me thinking we will not make the O Line a priority, yet again.

If it was up to me, we'd draft Warmack or Jonathan Cooper in the 1st, Fluker or Travis Frederick in the 2nd, and Schwenke or Kyle Long in the 3rd. Fix the line once and for all, and watch what Romo could do with real protection.

As far as the RB and OLB pick, I feel that a 2nd RB is key especially with Murray's physical style and injury history. My LB is just a hunch since we seem to target one high almost yearly (Jason Williams 2009, Sean Lee 2010, Bruce Carter 2011, and supposedly Bobby Wagner in 2012). Also, I'm scared to death of the idea of Alex Albright starting at OLB in Kiffin''s Tampa 2 style defense.

No Spencer. Spent the money on Melton instead.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was going off Jerry's recent comments that the O line was "fine". He talked about Livings and Bernadeau with another year under their system, the return of a healthy Costa, and the promise of Parnell. This has me thinking we will not make the O Line a priority, yet again.

If it was up to me, we'd draft Warmack or Jonathan Cooper in the 1st, Fluker or Travis Frederick in the 2nd, and Schwenke or Kyle Long in the 3rd. Fix the line once and for all, and watch what Romo could do with real protection.

As far as the RB and OLB pick, I feel that a 2nd RB is key especially with Murray's physical style and injury history. My LB is just a hunch since we seem to target one high almost yearly (Jason Williams 2009, Sean Lee 2010, Bruce Carter 2011, and supposedly Bobby Wagner in 2012). Also, I'm scared to death of the idea of Alex Albright starting at OLB in Kiffin''s Tampa 2 style defense.

Jerry blowing some smoke screens if you ask me.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jerry blowing some smoke screens if you ask me.
Yup. I saw Callahan talk about loving his OL, but those words hold no meaning. Of course he's going to spread words of encouragement to the players on the team.

cmd,
I don't mind trading our 1st for a 2014 1st if you have Johnny Football in mind, but taking a RB with our 1st pick in this draft will make me puke. SLB is a position that you don't need to prioritize that high considering our other needs. 4-3 LBs are a dime a dozen. We NEEEEEEED to address our trenches. Winters as a 4th is a stretch also.

Also, Fluker's stock is on the rise and I doubt he's there for our 2nd rounder. If we want him, it's gotta be Round 1.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Melton will be franchised if they don't come to terms.

I like the Casey signing!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Melton will be franchised if they don't come to terms.

I like the Casey signing!
I don't mind signing CAsey, but then another TE later in the draft. A little overkill when we have 2 TE's on the roster now.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I don't mind signing CAsey, but then another TE later in the draft. A little overkill when we have 2 TE's on the roster now.
Yeah that's true. Didn't notice that.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pre-Combine Offseason Mock 1.0

i'll save all the specific numbers with the salary cap for my post combine offseason mock i just haven't had much free time the past 2 weeks

Cuts
Doug Free
Marcus Spears
Phillip Tanner
Nate Livings

Restructured Contracts

Brandon Carr
Jay Ratliff - after his latest strings of incidents (DWI, threatening to beat up JJ during an argument) he has no choice especially at his age and possible suspension looming
Miles Austin
Demarcus Ware

Sign Tony Romo to 6 year extension

this should clear enough money for the cowboys to re-sign spencer and make a few small moves in free agency

Free Agency
At the advice of his agent Spencer doesn't re-sign and tests the free agent market and the cowboys unwilling to franchise him again because the amount of money would strap them from any other significant moves in FA.

Spencer signs with his hometown team, the Colts for a massive 5 year deal that averages over $10 million/year along with $20+ million guaranteed.

Cowboys use the money to sign the following players

OT Sebastian Vollmer to a 4 year deal for about $6-7 million/year. He can play left and right tackle. Has had some back issues, but he has lots experience in first rate championship organization, will be 29 years old this season, so there should at least a little left tread on the tires until the team is ready to move Parnell into the starting line-up in a few years.

OLB Phillip Wheeler to 4 year deal for about 3.5 - 4 million/year. Was the strongside linebacker in Oakland defense last year and probably one the 2 or 3 best players on defense. Bill Polian's take, "Wheeler had a good year in Oakland in 2012. His best position is SAM LB, which is not a big-demand position. But he can run, hit and blitz. He's gotten better every year."

27 years old, has played in the Tampa 2 system in his time in Indy, seems like perfect fit.

DT Terrance Knighton to 1 year $3 million deal. Had great rookie year but fell out favor with old regime. Wishing for a change of scenery he tests the open market and comes up dry. Signs basically a show me contract similar to that of Gerald Sensabuagh. Knighton aka "Pot Roast" is 330 lb run stuffer who should be able to anchor the middle against the run, not much of pass rusher but should be a good 2 down option.

WR Donnie Avery to a 1 year veteran minimum. Hasn't been the same since he tore his ACL a few years back. Should battle Beasley and Coale for the last 2 WR spots in training camp.

Draft

1. Chance Warmack OG Alabama - Enough has already been said about him already.

2. David Amerson CB NC State - Much of the offseason talk from Jason Garrett about the defense has centered around turnovers so why take the player with maybe the best ball skills in the draft. Didn't have as good of year at his sophomore season but still tied for the most INT's in the ACC with 5. At his best when facing the QB and played mostly safety in HS.

With everyone's pet Jawan Jamison taken a few picks ahead the cowboys opt for

3. Mike Gillislee RB Florida - Good all around back. Has the skills to compliment Murray and could fill in carry much of the load if or when Demarco is injured. Isn't special at anything but can do everything very well. Is a team first guy waited his turn and played on all special teams units before becoming the starter.

4. Nick Kasa TE Colorado - Turned some heads at the senior bowl with impressive size (6'5'' 271 lbs) and athleticism (He hopes to run in high 4.6, sub 4.7 range at the combine) at the senior bowl. Converted from DL to TE his senior year. More of blocker at this point but has ALOT potential as a reciever. Will be able to contribute immediately as an inline blocker as his recieving skills are developed. Will be player heavily watched at the combine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9RdSSWC-SQ skip to 4:00 mark to see his speed on display.

5. Armonty Bryant DE East Central University(OK) - Small school Texas native (Wichita Falls). Has been labeled the Demarcus Ware of this draft (6'5'' 262 lbs) and dominated all week of the Texas vs Nation game, but has a big red character flag. Was suspended for 3 games following being arrested for selling $20 of marijuana to an undercover cop in a school parking lot before an afternoon practice. Seems like an undraftable player but, after doing some digging, some believe had he been in a bigger program where there are support systems in place for athletes this probably wouldn't have happened. Might be the best all round athlete in the draft and if the cowboys feel comfortable that they have a support system in place to help this kid he could be a steal here and nice piece for Rod Marinelli to work with. Played LDE in college as well. Should light up the combine this weekend.

the only video of him so far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxEfFmRESg

my pick had nothing to do with this video, read about him as a sleeper pick and from broaddus' notes from the Texas vs Nation notes

6. Josh Downs DT LSU - An undersized DT who was a rotational player in the deep LSU defensive line rotation, but when in the game was consistently disruptive especially as interior pass rusher. At 6'1'' 287 lbs, profiles as a 3-tech DT.

i'll do the UDFA in the post combine mock

2013-2014 Depth chart

Offense

QB Romo/Orton
RB Murray/Gillislee/Dunbar
WR Bryant/Austin/Harris/Avery/Coale
TE Witten/Hanna/Kasa
LT Smith/Parnell
LG Leary/Costa
C Costa/Bernadeau/Kowalski
RG Warmack/Bernadeau
RT Vollmer/Parnell

Defense

LDE Hatcher/Crawford/A. Bryant
3 Tech DT Ratliff/Hatcher/Crawford/Downs
NT Knighton/Lissemore
RDE Ware/Wilber/A. Bryant

SLB Wheeler/Albright/Wilber
MLB Lee/Connor/Albright
WLB Carter/Wheeler/Church
CB Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick/?TBD
SS Sensabaugh/Church/Johnson
FS Amerson/Sensabuagh

Special Teams
PK Bailey
Punter Jones
PR Harris/Bryant
KR Harris/Dunbar/Avery

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 02-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would the team cut Livings? He was the most consistent lineman last season and has a manageable salary.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Why would the team cut Livings? He was the most consistent lineman last season and has a manageable salary.
I was game for that whole offseason plan, but the Livings cut didn't make sense to me as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Quote:
I was game for that whole offseason plan, but the Livings cut didn't make sense to me as well.
so after all that stuff i wrote all you guys have to comment on is why i cut livings

I cut him to make room for the guy the cowboys really want to start at left guard, leary. It pretty much came down to positional flexibility. Bernadeau can play guard and center as well. They both suck imo, and wanted to cut both but i kept bernardeau for that reason alone. If you notice bernardeau is not starting but backing up 2 positions that the sole reason i didn't cut him
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good offseason stuff.

You can't release Livings or Bernie as their salaries are 100% guaranteed this season.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quickie 4 rounder

1. Jonathon Cooper- G- UNC
2. Tavon Austin- WR- West Virginia
3. Datone Jones- DE- UCLA
4. Jordan Hill- DT- Penn State

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quickie 4 rounder

Jones wont last till our 3rd IMO, hope we dont go WR that early

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Quickie 4 rounder

if ur gonna do just the draft you should probably put it in the draft thread but since when in the offseason mock thread, who are ur top 3 free agents and do we keep spencer or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Jones wont last till our 3rd IMO, hope we dont go WR that early
don't worry about us taking austin in the second, there is no way he gets out of the first round, my bet is new england takes him or some one trades back up in the first round to take him. a game changing talent such as him rarely gets out of the first round
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
if ur gonna do just the draft you should probably put it in the draft thread but since when in the offseason mock thread, who are ur top 3 free agents and do we keep spencer or not?

don't worry about us taking austin in the second, there is no way he gets out of the first round, my bet is new england takes him or some one trades back up in the first round to take him. a game changing talent such as him rarely gets out of the first round
I agree. leroy you should've put this in the draft thread with such a bare bones post.

As for Austin, I don't know if he's a sure fire first rounder. Small WRs typically fall in the draft. He's not the first small, fast, fidgety type of WR to enter the draft. Even Desean went Round 2.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
I agree. leroy you should've put this in the draft thread with such a bare bones post.

As for Austin, I don't know if he's a sure fire first rounder. Small WRs typically fall in the draft. He's not the first small, fast, fidgety type of WR to enter the draft. Even Desean went Round 2.
hey D what do think of my first offeseason mock? been waiting for a repsonse from you, the only real comment i've had so far is why i would get rid livings

As for austin, this draft is short on playmakers at skill positions, and he has more versatility than desean jackson

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 02-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Desean had a lot of character issues. That's one of the reasons he dropped. On and his character issues remain, go figure!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quickie 4 rounder

By popular demand here's my FA plan.

Spencer isn't resigned.

Signed

DT- Glenn Dorsey
OLB- Rocky McIntosh
CB- Josello Hanson

No big splash in FA mainly because of cap space. But we pick up a few contributors.

After the combine today, Austin might slip into round 1.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I agree with the others... the Livings cut was mysterious.

Restructures seem resonable. I hope for the same.

Romo a new 6 year deal? Kinda long for me. I could see it though. Hopefully the last 2 years are huge and easy to get out of.

FA
Not really down with paying a FA OT. Rather just save the money and draft one. We need to build for long term consistency around Tyron. That's why I am so in favor of investing our high picks on OL.

I like the Wheeler and Knighton pick ups! Knighton I think will get a nicer deal than that though.

Avery does nothing for me personally. I'm ok with Harris and Beasley.

Draft
Interesting pick in Amerson. I'd be pretty stoked with that. Not a fan of Gillislee, especially if we have to spend a 3rd rounder on him. Kasa is ok, but I'd rather have Toilolo. I don't know anything about Armonty Bryant. Not sure what to think of Downs. but it is just a 6th rounder. DT depth is a good area to try to improve.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.
Default First Offseason Mock

Cuts
  • Gerald Sensabaugh
  • Dan Connor
  • Lawrence Vickers
  • Doug Free (Post June 1)

Restructures
  • Brandon Carr
  • DeMarcus Ware
  • Jason Witten
  • Tony Romo (Extension)

Renegotiate deal for Miles Austin

Re-sign
  • Phil Costa- come in and compete for the starting center.
  • Enie Sims- provide depth and experience at the LB position. Fits in 4-3.
  • L.P. Ladouceur- solid long snapper.
  • Victor Butler- Pass rush depth. Possible nickel rusher.
  • Danny McCray- special teams ace. Hopefully minimal time on Defense.
All these re-signings would be for low years (1-3 years) and cheap money.

Free Agency- Not too much action, just value signings.
  • Sedrick Ellis- Fits in the 4-3. Come in and compete.
  • Dwight Freeney- Surprising signing. I'm thinking he don't get much action on market and we are able to bring him in to rush in Nickel opposite Ware.
  • Leonard Pope- Blocking TE just like we need. Won't be much of a progress stopper for Hanna.
  • Jason Smith- Bring him in and compete. Possible swing tackle.

Draft
  1. Kenny Vaccaro- S- Texas- Sensy was a cap casualty, and I'm thinking Cooper and Warmack don't make it to 18. Vaccaro is a good consolation prize. He can step in right away at the FS spot, with Church/Matt Johnson at the SS. Can also come up and line up against the TE in the slot. I like his versatility.
  2. Brandon Williams- DT- Missouri Southern- I want him to come in and play the 1 tech. This will allow Ratliff to play the 3, along with Hatcher. Williams would be a beast against the run, and will be involved in a healthy rotation at DT with Ratliff, Hatcher, and Ellis.
  3. Justin Pugh- G/T- Syracuse- I'm drafting him because of his versatility. He can come in and compete at the Guard spot or he could compete with Parnell and Jason Smith for the RT spot.
  4. Marcus Lattimore- RB- South Carolina- Love this kid when healthy. Dallas has shown that they will take risks on players with injury history i.e. Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray. I'm drafting him fully aware that he will more than likely begin the season on the PUP list. I don't want him to rush back into action. With Murray, Tanner, and Dunbar already on the roster, we can allow him to take his time and fully recover.
  5. Marcus Davis- WR- Virginia Tech- ATHLETE. 6' 3" 233 lbs. Ran his 40 at 4.56. Vertial Jump: 39.5. I love his athleticism, and I believe he could make the roster in his first year. With a guy this size, he could be dangerous in the Red Zone. Right now our only Red Zone threat is Dez, so we need some help in that area.
  6. David Bass- DE-Missouri Western- I'm bringing him in to provide pass rush depth. Small school kid, but loads of potential. We've all heard the saying "you can never have enough pass rushers". I think D-Ware could take him under his wing and teach him the ropes. I see him fitting in as a Pass Rush Specialist in the Nickel and Dime packages.

So there it is, my first mock of the year. I know I didn't address the OL until the 3rd, and I'm fully prepared to catch some grief for that. I think Pugh could fit right in though, and I already mentioned how I like his versatility. I like that with him and Mac Berny, we got two guys that can play multiple positions on the line. I didn't get into the Undrafted Free Agents, but positions I would look for there would be FB, CB, LB. I would bring in players at these postions to compete for their positions and for special teams roles.

I used walterfootball.com for almost all of my rankings, both for the draft and for free agency.

Let me know what you guys think.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
Cuts
  • Gerald Sensabaugh
  • Dan Connor
  • Lawrence Vickers
  • Doug Free (Post June 1)

Restructures
  • Brandon Carr
  • DeMarcus Ware
  • Jason Witten
  • Tony Romo (Extension)

Renegotiate deal for Miles Austin

Re-sign
  • Phil Costa- come in and compete for the starting center.
  • Enie Sims- provide depth and experience at the LB position. Fits in 4-3.
  • L.P. Ladouceur- solid long snapper.
  • Victor Butler- Pass rush depth. Possible nickel rusher.
  • Danny McCray- special teams ace. Hopefully minimal time on Defense.
All these re-signings would be for low years (1-3 years) and cheap money.

Free Agency- Not too much action, just value signings.
  • Sedrick Ellis- Fits in the 4-3. Come in and compete.
  • Dwight Freeney- Surprising signing. I'm thinking he don't get much action on market and we are able to bring him in to rush in Nickel opposite Ware.
  • Leonard Pope- Blocking TE just like we need. Won't be much of a progress stopper for Hanna.
  • Jason Smith- Bring him in and compete. Possible swing tackle.

Draft
  1. Kenny Vaccaro- S- Texas- Sensy was a cap casualty, and I'm thinking Cooper and Warmack don't make it to 18. Vaccaro is a good consolation prize. He can step in right away at the FS spot, with Church/Matt Johnson at the SS. Can also come up and line up against the TE in the slot. I like his versatility.
  2. Brandon Williams- DT- Missouri Southern- I want him to come in and play the 1 tech. This will allow Ratliff to play the 3, along with Hatcher. Williams would be a beast against the run, and will be involved in a healthy rotation at DT with Ratliff, Hatcher, and Ellis.
  3. Justin Pugh- G/T- Syracuse- I'm drafting him because of his versatility. He can come in and compete at the Guard spot or he could compete with Parnell and Jason Smith for the RT spot.
  4. Marcus Lattimore- RB- South Carolina- Love this kid when healthy. Dallas has shown that they will take risks on players with injury history i.e. Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray. I'm drafting him fully aware that he will more than likely begin the season on the PUP list. I don't want him to rush back into action. With Murray, Tanner, and Dunbar already on the roster, we can allow him to take his time and fully recover.
  5. Marcus Davis- WR- Virginia Tech- ATHLETE. 6' 3" 233 lbs. Ran his 40 at 4.56. Vertial Jump: 39.5. I love his athleticism, and I believe he could make the roster in his first year. With a guy this size, he could be dangerous in the Red Zone. Right now our only Red Zone threat is Dez, so we need some help in that area.
  6. David Bass- DE-Missouri Western- I'm bringing him in to provide pass rush depth. Small school kid, but loads of potential. We've all heard the saying "you can never have enough pass rushers". I think D-Ware could take him under his wing and teach him the ropes. I see him fitting in as a Pass Rush Specialist in the Nickel and Dime packages.

So there it is, my first mock of the year. I know I didn't address the OL until the 3rd, and I'm fully prepared to catch some grief for that. I think Pugh could fit right in though, and I already mentioned how I like his versatility. I like that with him and Mac Berny, we got two guys that can play multiple positions on the line. I didn't get into the Undrafted Free Agents, but positions I would look for there would be FB, CB, LB. I would bring in players at these postions to compete for their positions and for special teams roles.

I used walterfootball.com for almost all of my rankings, both for the draft and for free agency.

Let me know what you guys think.
I'm not a fan of your FA pick-ups, minus Ellis. Freeney even in the latter part of his career won't come cheap. Smith, UHHH no thanks! Been a huge bust with injuries. And Pope I'd be mehhhh on.

As for the draft it would be a B- in my book. I was once high on Vaccaro, but I'd rather see us address G or DT in the first.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

I just didn't want to spend a whole lot of money in Free Agency. It is okay for us to come in under the salary cap and leave us in a better position for next year too. We got guys on the roster that we are going to have to shell out a good chunk of cash to keep around. (Dez, Lee, Carter, Tyron, Murray.) I realize we aren't going to have to take care of all these guys next year, but it is something to think about for the future.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good stuff Prime I'll break it down in detail :)

First things first. If we cut Sensy that means we'll be signing a veteran FS even if it is just as cover. Garrett loves to line things up as BPA in the draft and doesn't want to have holes going into the draft. Adding a Tampa-2 retread as a "just in case" type signing for close to veteran minimum would make cutting Sensy work. Keep in mind Sensy has to be cut by the start of the league year (March 12th) in order to save us money otherwise his salary is FULLY guaranteed for the year.

Restructures: Great job here. This should be pretty standard throughout all offseason mocks :) Miles may balk at the renegotiating table though.

Re-sign: Good chance of every single one of those happening. McCray probably has the weakest shot given that he has no business playing on defense and could be replaced by number of plays willing to play for minimum.

Free Agency: Very realistic aside from Freeney IMHO. Whomever we bring in will be playing strongside DE. It's the less glamorous DE in the Dallas-2 and will be asked to shoulder a lot of "set the edge" type of assignments. Love the Jason Smith signing I have him in my next mock after talking about him in the discussion thread :)

Draft:
1) Vaccaro: I love Vaccaro and he's my top non-OL choice at 18.
2) Williams: This pick would 99% guarantee Ratliff hitting the streets. Jason Hatcher will be starting without a doubt he was our most dominant lineman last season and will thrive again this season regardless of whether he's 3-tech, SDE, or even 1-tech.
3) Pugh: Some worries with this pick. Has elite ceiling given his mobility but REALLY struggles when players can get to his core. His mirror and body control is excellent. He'd need to hit the gym HARD to develop the necessary core strength to succeed inside.
4) Lattimore: I would be onboard in the 3rd round for this pick in the 4th it is borderline robbery. His stock currently is far too low IMHO.
5)Davis: Fits the size/speed ratio Dallas looks for in their WRs. If he was a committed player he would be talked about as a first rounder but he takes plays off, has fundamental lapses, and is about the laziest blocker I've seen for a man his size. Perfect gamble though in the 5th.
6)David Bass: My small school DE sleeper. He's a load and his burst and ability to use his hands is going to get him drafted higher. He's got excellent potential and the production, albeit D-II, will drive up demand. I have him 5th in my post-combine mock I've been penciling in :)

Overall nice work :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

Thanks for the input Trogdor. Here's a little more reasoning to my decisons that you had issues with.

Freeney I want to bring in purely as a pass rusher in the nickel and dime. I don't necessarily want him in the base set, unless D-Ware is injured. I don't think he'll see a whole lot of interest on the market, and think he will be affordable.

I agree with you on Pugh. I think he does struggle with some of his strength, but his technique and mobility are excellent. I think he can hit the weights and add strength and bulk to his frame.

I do agree with you on Lattimore too. Right now he's in the 3,4,5 round range, but I can see him building up some momentum and climbing up the boards. If you look at Ryan Broyles last year, a lot of people were excited about him and that you could probably get him in the 3-5 round range because he was coming off a torn ACL, but he went in the 2nd to Detroit. In this mock I'm just hoping he's there in the 4th.