Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see no way the Steelers invest in another first round OL.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd be hesitant to draft a mingo or a ansah... these raw players that need to be 'coached up'

it just seems like we have a poor track record of drafting good athlete type pass rushers and can never quite "coach them up" to the level of a good player

maybe its the players but it just makes me nervous

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ansah would be a terrible pick and would fail in this defense. Mingo i think could be a real factor from day one, his production at DE was hindered by his size at LSU, but he could be an absolute ******* monster at OLB.

Imo Mingo>>>>Aldon Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
ansah would be a terrible pick and would fail in this defense. Mingo i think could be a real factor from day one, his production at DE was hindered by his size at LSU, but he could be an absolute ******* monster at OLB.

Imo Mingo>>>>Aldon Smith
yeah dont get me wrong i do love me some mingo... dude has amazing potential

i just worry about some of our other picks of players that were considered "raw" that never panned out at OLB

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

would anyone else not hate taking one of those big TE's in the first?

if patterson is gone i think ertz or eifert would contribute more to the team than say a keenan allen would at #17...

granted we take an offensive playmaker

Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers can use help in so many spots this draft could literally be anything. They really need to go into this draft and come out with help at receiver, RB, G, and can use help on every level of the defense.

NFL network saying Miller could be out all of next season.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 02-23-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Burden
Rookie

Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Jarvis Jones medicals did not come out well yesterday and some draftniks are talking about a Da'quan Bowers type fall for him now. Do you see this happening?
Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
Apparently Jarvis Jones medicals did not come out well yesterday and some draftniks are talking about a Da'quan Bowers type fall for him now. Do you see this happening?
Just depends on what the team doctors say. If they're comfortable with him in the first round, he will go there. If not, then yes, he can fall.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

As much as I want Cordarrelle Patterson or Keenan Allen in the first, there are SOOOOOO many second round WRs though that could do a lot better.

Justin Hunter, Stedman Bailey, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, etc. That would let us go at any position in the first.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all over the place this year with second rounders and first.

I was thinking Cb/S back to back, first second. But now watching the WR damn I don't want to miss out on a few of these guys.

Also a late round triangle number WR, would be whats his name from FSU, just like that height of 6'4, we need a big target WR, with Heath being questionable.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Mingo and Ansah are both horrible picks.

I would want no part of a guy with such little college production. All of the great pass rushers in NFL history (or at least 90% of them) have put up like 18+ sacks MINIMUM in college (and most have alot more - like 30+) and 20+ TFL MINIMUM as well, with the great ones putting up 50+.

If I'm the Steelers, I want to draft Jarvis Jones or Damontre Moore if they slip into the middle of the first round, and basically nobody else has any potential to be a great pass rusher in this draft.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

As of now, here are how I'd react to draft picks in the first round:

Running down the street screaming:

Jarvis Jones
Damontre Moore
Kenny Vaccaro

Fist pump:

Keenan Allen
Jonathan Cooper
Chance Womack

Not mad, not happy:

Manti Te'o
Tyler Eifert
John Jenkins
Mingo

Mad:

Ziggy Ansah
Tavon Austin (trade down, if anything)
Jesse Williams
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

I agree with your list, but I wouldn't necessarily be mad with Tavon Austin.

This kid is the best WR in the draft class and will be a better version of DeSean Jackson in the NFL.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We won't spend a first on a guard. We were the only team to used 2 first on guard/center in the last few years.

I want a proven pass rusher if we pick on in the first....which we need desperately. Same with the later round picks, proven players. We need depth right now, not potential guys, yet. We have our stable full of potential guys, but none that can play cause they do it well.

This is also the year we can walk away with a big Cb, the top 4/5 guys are bigger the 6'1 so there is no way we can pass them up.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Mingo and Ansah are both horrible picks.

I would want no part of a guy with such little college production. All of the great pass rushers in NFL history (or at least 90% of them) have put up like 18+ sacks MINIMUM in college (and most have alot more - like 30+) and 20+ TFL MINIMUM as well, with the great ones putting up 50+.

If I'm the Steelers, I want to draft Jarvis Jones or Damontre Moore if they slip into the middle of the first round, and basically nobody else has any potential to be a great pass rusher in this draft.
Of 2012's regular season top 5 sack leaders, one had 18+ sacks in college (Von Miller). The other four are J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Cameron Wake and Clay Matthews.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
Of 2012's regular season top 5 sack leaders, one had 18+ sacks in college (Von Miller). The other four are J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Cameron Wake and Clay Matthews.
Cameron wake and Clay Matthews both played 4-3 OLB in college so the rule doesn't apply to them because they weren't rushing the passer in college. (whereas Mingo and Ansah were)

JJ Watt played DT in college, but had 11.5 career sacks. Aldon Smith had something like 17 and we still don't know if he's a fluke product of Justin Smith or not.

And JJ Watt had a ton of TFL in college (33+ I think) so that mitigates his low number of sacks, because usually the elite players have ONE or the OTHER or BOTH in their college careers.

Mingo and Ansah clearly have neither the sacks nor the TFL and are thus 90% likely to be busts.

Last edited by AcheTen (Thumper) : 02-25-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Cameron wake and Clay Matthews both played 4-3 OLB in college so the rule doesn't apply to them because they weren't rushing the passer in college. (whereas Mingo and Ansah were)

JJ Watt played DT in college, but had 11.5 career sacks. Aldon Smith had something like 17 and we still don't know if he's a fluke product of Justin Smith or not.

And JJ Watt had a ton of TFL in college (33+ I think) so that mitigates his low number of sacks, because usually the elite players have ONE or the OTHER or BOTH in their college careers.

Mingo and Ansah clearly have neither the sacks nor the TFL and are thus 90% likely to be busts.
Watt may have played some DT at Wisky but he played primarily DE. You are right though about his high TFLs. Matthews played a stand-up DE position at USC. Smith had 14.5.

I like college production too, but it's not a perfect predictor the way you are presenting it.

Last edited by steelernation77 : 02-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

watching the wr's i came away the most impressed with robert woods - him and the whitey from duke are by far the two smoothest pass catchers i watched yesterday

i also saw whitey play a bit on our (joke of an) acc network for football and im not sure he ever dropped a pass

i saw somewhere someone made the comparison of woods to reggie wayne and i think thats 100% spot on- both just super solid guys who won't wow you with their measurable but neither seem to have any glaring holes in their game - just solid imo

Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
Watt may have played some DT at Wisky but he played primarily DE. You are right though about his high TFLs. Matthews played a stand-up DE position at USC. Smith had 14.5.

I like college production too, but it's not a perfect predictor the way you are presenting it.
It actually is though.

If you want an elite player in the NFL, there is like only a 5-10% chance that you can get one if you ignore college production.

Look at NFL history. The numbers are very stark. You absolutely have to pick a guy with certain level of college production, or you risk getting a bust.

Of course, even the guys with high production can bust, but the chances are MUCH lower in that situation.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

When's Jamie Collins from So Miss expected to be drafted? Solid numbers from college and a crazy broad jump. Looks like a good OLB prospect.

Last edited by steelernation77 : 02-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
watching the wr's i came away the most impressed with robert woods - him and the whitey from duke are by far the two smoothest pass catchers i watched yesterday

i also saw whitey play a bit on our (joke of an) acc network for football and im not sure he ever dropped a pass

i saw somewhere someone made the comparison of woods to reggie wayne and i think thats 100% spot on- both just super solid guys who won't wow you with their measurable but neither seem to have any glaring holes in their game - just solid imo
Yes, I would love Woods or even Justin Hunter in the second round.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Almost end of Combine mock:

1) Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
2) Robert Woods WR USC
3) Montee Ball RB Wisconsin
4) Jamie Collins OLB Southern Miss
5) Jake Stoneburner TE Ohio State
6) Michael Mauti LB Penn State
7a) Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
7b) Xavier Nixon OT Florida
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Almost end of Combine mock:

1) Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
2) Robert Woods WR USC
3) Montee Ball RB Wisconsin
4) Jamie Collins OLB Southern Miss
5) Jake Stoneburner TE Ohio State
6) Michael Mauti LB Penn State
7a) Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
7b) Xavier Nixon OT Florida
cant complain about that. Why are you so high on Vaccaro? I like him and all and i think hes a good pick, but the safety class is stacked just not very top heavy.

I still like Jones/Mingo/Jordan/Allen/Patterson in 1

Woods or Hunter would be sweet picks in 2

I like Bernard more and more lately, Ball just doesnt seem like hes gonna be the main guy for a team.

I hated on Landry Jones for YEARS now but thats awesome value in the 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I like Vaccaro because he's the type of S that fits in the NFL these days. He's big, fast, can play high, in the box and can plays in the slot. He needs to work on his tackling, but that can be taught with good coaching. I like a lot of safeties this year, but Vaccaro is the best one IMO. He can match up very well against these freak TEs that the NFL has now.

If the Steelers traded down and got Elam/Jefferson, I'd be more than OK with that.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

I don't think Mauti and Jones will be their in the 6th and 7th respectively.

Mauti is widely considered a 3rd or 4th round prospect and Jones will definitely be picked before the 5th round.