Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I will gladly admit it. I don't have any particular like or dislike of Smith. If he sucks I will admit he sucks. But sucking by this boards standards seems to be anything short of being elite. Apparently there is no middle ground here. If Smith completes around 65% of his passes with a 1.75+ TD/INT ratio (something like 20 TDs to 11 INTs) and a 90+ passer rating while the Chiefs finish around 10-6 I would consider that a good season. That is what I expect to happen.
Oh man, I can't wait for that strong 10-6 season! Apparently the playoffs are still the goal, and not a SB!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Oh man, I can't wait for that strong 10-6 season! Apparently the playoffs are still the goal, and not a SB!
You don't think going from 2-14 and the 1st pick in the draft to 10-6 and the playoffs is worth a second round pick?
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you're going for here. He has a good season but screw him for not getting the Chiefs into the Owl?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry Vidae. I feel for you.

I mean, even if they don't take or want to take Geno why give up an EXTREMELY valuable draft pick for a mediocre (at best) QB? Seems stupid.

Worst case draft somebody else with the first pick, maybe take a guy at the top of the second OR just get the best players you can and try again next year. Not ideal but it's better than this (assuming the Chiefs still don't draft Geno #1).
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Sorry Vidae. I feel for you.
What about me? I'm in pain to.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't think going from 2-14 and the 1st pick in the draft to 10-6 and the playoffs is worth a second round pick?
The goal is to win the SB. Not go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs for a couple of years. You don't get the 1st pick in the draft very often (hopefully). When you do, you have to cash in with that pick.

Getting a LT who is not much of an upgrade over your current LT is not a wise way to spend that pick. With the current rookie wage scale, why wouldn't you risk the reward of potentially having a franchise qb? What do you have to lose? It doesn't cost that much anymore.

If he busts, he busts. He doesn't cost that much, and you can move on within 2 years. But if he's a franchise qb? Then you don't worry about the position for another 10 years.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
What about me? I'm in pain to.
Yeah but Vidae is a bro. Bro's gotta bro.

Wait what? Sorry to hear about it for you as well, Splat.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

If he busts, he busts. He doesn't cost that much, and you can move on within 2 years. But if he's a franchise qb? Then you don't worry about the position for another 10 years.
Clearly Andy Reid came to the conclusion that none of these QB's carry the potential to be a "franchise" guy.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If he sucks in KC, will you admit he's not a good qb?

Or will you make excuses for him?
No, then it'd just be because he went to a team like KC where he was never going to succeed to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Clearly Andy Reid came to the conclusion that none of these QB's carry the potential to be a "franchise" guy.
And if that's the case, he better be right about it. Bc if he's wrong, he's dead wrong.

That's the funny thing about all of this. There is a bigger risk involved in going to bat for Alex Smith and passing on a potential qb in this draft. If you fail trying, no one can really kill you for it. If you're too scared to try, and go for mediocrity instead, you're gambling on the possibility that not a single one of these guys are going to succeed.

I think the odds are against that. If Nick Foles who went in the 4th round last year can show some success, if Russell Wilson who went in the 3rd round last year can show success, are we honestly going to assume that not a single one of these guys will succeed? The odds are against Reid in this situation.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andy Reid, John Dorsey, and the Chiefs franchise itself are completely gutless.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The goal is to win the SB. Not go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs for a couple of years. You don't get the 1st pick in the draft very often (hopefully). When you do, you have to cash in with that pick.

Getting a LT who is not much of an upgrade over your current LT is not a wise way to spend that pick. With the current rookie wage scale, why wouldn't you risk the reward of potentially having a franchise qb? What do you have to lose? It doesn't cost that much anymore.

Is drafting one of this year's QB prospects is going to help the Chiefs win the Super Bowl?

If you draft a QB you have to give him a few years to prove himself. If he sucks after three years and your team has sucked that whole time then chances are you are going to have to get a new coach as well. Then that coach drafts a QB and he busts and the cycle starts again until someone gets lucky with a great QB. Building up from being terrible is a process.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Is drafting one of this year's QB prospects is going to help the Chiefs win the Super Bowl?

If you draft a QB you have to give him a few years to prove himself. If he sucks after three years and your team has sucked that whole time then chances are you are going to have to get a new coach as well. Then that coach drafts a QB and he busts and the cycle starts again until someone gets lucky with a great QB. Building up from being terrible is a process.
At least there's hope he can become a guy who can win a SB.

Alex Smith will never win a SB. That's the whole point.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I agree strongly..... and I see a repeat of the Joe Montana trade > from San Francisco to Kansas City.

Andy Reid will get his guy as a Chief.
New coach, new QB. Fresh start.
Congrats to the guys here who predicted Kansas City, and LOL at the ones who voted today now for the Chiefs that the news came down.

To some of us, this was the logical place for Alex to end up, for many reasons.

Why the **** would SF trade him to Arizona?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Bottom line: it's better to try and fail than not try. Trying and failing shows you have some ******* balls. Never trying means you're a gutless franchise who has no intention of ever winning a Super Bowl.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Alex Smith was a knee fumble away from being in the Super Bowl last year and the 49ers were the favorite to make it again this year. Where is this idea that he can never make the Super Bowl coming from?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And if that's the case, he better be right about it. Bc if he's wrong, he's dead wrong.

That's the funny thing about all of this. There is a bigger risk involved in going to bat for Alex Smith and passing on a potential qb in this draft. If you fail trying, no one can really kill you for it. If you're too scared to try, and go for mediocrity instead, you're gambling on the possibility that not a single one of these guys are going to succeed.

I think the odds are against that. If Nick Foles who went in the 4th round last year can show some success, if Russell Wilson who went in the 3rd round last year can show success, are we honestly going to assume that not a single one of these guys will succeed? The odds are against Reid in this situation.
Who says he's settling for mediocrity? Heaps of **** was thrown at Alex Smith in San Francisco and he had SEVEN different offensive coordinators. He's done nothing but produce for them the last season and a half, and they were a set of fumbles by their punt returner a year ago from being in the same position this year aka in the Owl. Hell, he carried them in the playoffs against the Saints and there's zero chance they win that game without him. Plus, he played better than Brady against the Giants.

And what do you risk here? A third round pick? Big freaking deal. I don't think Joeckel is worth the first overall pick either, but I wouldn't touch Geno Smith with it either.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:

Based on what? Who is to say he doesn't beat the Pats if Kyle Williams doesn't fumble twice? Who is to say he doesn't get them to the exact same place Kaep did this year, and controls his mistakes in the Owl? Harbaugh played to Alex's strengths, and Andy Reid is definitely capable of doing the exact same.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
And what do you risk here? A third round pick? Big freaking deal. I don't think Joeckel is worth the first overall pick either, but I wouldn't touch Geno Smith with it either.
You risk the #34th pick in a ******* deep draft class, that's what you risk.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Same thing with taking QB's sky high in a draft.
See:
Raiders, Russell.
Bengals, Akili.
Lions, Ware.
Cardinals, Leinart.
Chargers, Leaf.
Texans, Carr.
Lions, Harrington.
Jets, Sanchez.
Redskins, Shuler.
Bengals, Klingler.
Raiders, Marinovich.
Bills, JP Losmon.

At least we've seen steady progress from Alex Smith in the NFL, and what he did last year, especially his final couple games.... you won't see that from 90% of the first round pick QB's. Ever. For a 2nd rd pick, great move by the Cheifs and one many of us saw coming.

Don't *** kid yourself, A) it's always a crapshoot in the draft.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
You risk the #34th pick in a ******* deep draft class, that's what you risk.
This isn't really that deep of a draft.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We got a second round pick for Alex Smith!? YEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

I love BaughSoHard University.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
This isn't really that deep of a draft.
Really? This is very light at the top, but one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. Have you been paying attention?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Who says he's settling for mediocrity? Heaps of **** was thrown at Alex Smith in San Francisco and he had SEVEN different offensive coordinators. He's done nothing but produce for them the last season and a half, and they were a set of fumbles by their punt returner a year ago from being in the same position this year aka in the Owl. Hell, he carried them in the playoffs against the Saints and there's zero chance they win that game without him. Plus, he played better than Brady against the Giants.

First off, Alex Smith sucked in that game. Let's not blame the kick returner for losing him the game. When you complete ONE pass to a WR, and have numerous opportunities to win the game in OT and don't even get a first down, you have no one but yourself to blame.

So let's stop that nonsense right now.

And secondly, you can't just look at the numbers and assume Smith is any good, which is a concept that's pretty foreign to you. Smith doesn't throw it deep, he doesn't throw it outside the hash marks. He's been an awful qb for 80% of his long career. His own damn coach tried to replace him numerous times and the second he had a chance to, he did.

Why would you ignore all of this and assume he's a good option? Bc he rode the bus on a loaded team? How is that a good model of success? You know how much harder it is to maintain success using that model?

I'm not banging the table for any qb option in this draft in particular. I don't know enough about any of them to comment. But you have to at least TRY to succeed with one.

Moving forward with Smith is not the answer. At least drafting a qb can potentially be the answer, even if they fail.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:

This is like the most logical post about Alex Smith I have ever seen on these boards.