Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Alex Smith is easily better than Matt Cassel but I still hate the trade. Pretty much anyone not named Brady Quinn or Ricky Stanzi would be an upgrade over Cassel.
Under better circumstances, Smith has not been better than Cassel with good offensive coaches. The numbers are completely in Matt's favor.

I like Alex Smith, the move just doesn't make any sense.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At BEST, Smith may be marginally better. You don't give up that much more for marginally better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Under better circumstances, Smith has not been better than Cassel with good offensive coaches. The numbers are completely in Matt's favor.

I like Alex Smith, the move just doesn't make any sense.
You are forgetting that both played in different offensive schemes. With Harbaugh and Roman the running attack is emphasized on a lot. So you weren't going to see huge numbers regarding Smith. Heck, Colin Kaepernick's first 300 yard game came against the Ravens.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
You are forgetting that both played in different offensive schemes. With Harbaugh and Roman the running attack is emphasized on a lot. So you weren't going to see huge numbers regarding Smith. Heck, Colin Kaepernick's first 300 yard game came against the Ravens.
And the coach that just traded for him doesn't run the same scheme. The offense he's going to relies on the QB making more plays. If you're already agreeing that doing so isn't his strong suit, how can you argue this is a good fit?

Unless you're not arguing that. I can't even tell anymore.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Cassel is being punished for being in a system that is reliant on him airring it out more than Smith? That only helps his case. His numbers came in a system where defenses didn't have to respect the run game. I don't see how that helps Smith's case any.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Charles and Jones ran for nearly 1500 and 900 yards, respectively when Cassel had his second best season which is destroys Smith's 2011
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
So Cassel is being punished for being in a system that is reliant on him airring it out more than Smith? That only helps his case. His numbers came in a system where defenses didn't have to respect the run game. I don't see how that helps Smith's case any.
I'm simply explaining why looking at bigger numbers and exclaiming player A is clearly better B isn't a sound approach. The situation isn't that black and white.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They both suck balls. Alex Smith just sucks a little less.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
They both suck balls. Alex Smith just sucks a little less.
The point is that it was a pointless waste of draft picks and people trying to say it's an upgrade are saying so blindly. ****, the two even have the same contract, essentially.

I'm not going to rule out Alex becoming Brees because I've always liked him, but it's be really stupid to expect anything more than him struggling and this trade looking really awful in a few months.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ness is successful mindfucking us right now

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...cKRL1rk__rCZow

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
I'm simply explaining why looking at bigger numbers and exclaiming player A is clearly better B isn't a sound approach. The situation isn't that black and white.
Well I really am happy to see that a 9er is admitting that in this "Smith debate" (not saying that you werent previously), but that argument was so god damn persistent around these parts for Smiths defense back in the fall, it was obnoxious.

I do agree with you, but that still leaves us with an unanswered question. How is Smith proven to be the better player than what Cassel has displayed, when both were incorporated in heavily talented systems and teams? I don't think that is being adequately addressed here, and is worth noting. Cassel excelling in a pass first oriented system, as you brought up, only helps his case and hurts Smith case for me. I would much rather put stock in a QB's career year that came under a system dependent on them throwing the ball around to win, than a QB who had the crutch of a running game and a defense (San Frans D is so much better than the Pats d the year Cassel was in). I just dont think that argument helps Smith's case here imo Ness.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread could really use a JordanTaber scouting report on Alex Smith.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
This thread could really use a JordanTaber scouting report on Alex Smith.
Better than Barry Sanders!
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Well I really am happy to see that a 9er is admitting that in this "Smith debate" (not saying that you werent previously), but that argument was so god damn persistent around these parts for Smiths defense back in the fall, it was obnoxious.

I do agree with you, but that still leaves us with an unanswered question. How is Smith proven to be the better player than what Cassel has displayed, when both were incorporated in heavily talented systems and teams? I don't think that is being adequately addressed here, and is worth noting. Cassel excelling in a pass first oriented system, as you brought up, only helps his case and hurts Smith case for me. I would much rather put stock in a QB's career year that came under a system dependent on them throwing the ball around to win, than a QB who had the crutch of a running game and a defense (San Frans D is so much better than the Pats d the year Cassel was in). I just dont think that argument helps Smith's case here imo Ness.
I don't know. I don't think it proves one is better than the other. Both players need a good team around them to excel. We'll have to see this year how Reid works with Alex and how he incorporates him into his system. What the Chiefs gave up to get Smith was stupid, but regardless that doesn't mean Alex will be terrible with the Chiefs. As far as both players in different systems are concerned, Cassel and the Chiefs did have a run heavy offense in his best year. The season before that when Charlie Weis wasn't there that didn't seem to be the case though with Todd Haley calling all the shots.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
I don't know. I don't think it proves one is better than the other. Both players need a good team around them to excel. We'll have to see this year how Reid works with Alex and how he incorporates him into his system. What the Chiefs gave up to get Smith was stupid, but regardless that doesn't mean Alex will be terrible with the Chiefs. As far as both players in different systems are concerned, Cassel and the Chiefs did have a run heavy offense in his best year. The season before that when Charlie Weis wasn't there that didn't seem to be the case though with Todd Haley calling all the shots.
I think that after reading this post, we are both pretty much in agreement. The point is, this was a bad trade for the Chiefs.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bottom line is that Reid believes that Alex Smith suits his WCO to a tee, Cassel didn't and that is all that matters. If Smith delivers 8-10 wins then it was an excellent trade for KC, if he doesn't then people can come back after the facts are in and be critical, till then, nobody cares what the nay sayers are spouting.
Reid wanted this trade and will obviously live or die by it, he made his choice and we'll just have to wait to see how it works out.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the 2008 Patriots running game was better in YPG and YPC than the 49ers in 2011, though.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If NFL teams were run by fans like many here seem to be, many teams would simply not have a QB. These fans seem to have the idea that any QB who is not a top 10 QB "sucks". Bad news is that there's 32 teams. Unless NFL start sharing QBs, or the league is reduced to 10 teams, most of the NFL will start a QB who "sucks". Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson would be the ideal head coach for these fans, because he likes running an offense without a QB.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The bottom line is that Reid believes that Alex Smith suits his WCO to a tee, Cassel didn't and that is all that matters. If Smith delivers 8-10 wins then it was an excellent trade for KC, if he doesn't then people can come back after the facts are in and be critical, till then, nobody cares what the nay sayers are spouting.
Reid wanted this trade and will obviously live or die by it, he made his choice and we'll just have to wait to see how it works out.
Yup, pretty much this.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I didn't realize 8-10 wins was what you wanted out of your "franchise" QB. I thought it was to win a championship.

This naysayer has seen the light! Bring on Alex Smith!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Alex might have a good season with the Chiefs this upcoming year while the defense tanks or something else causes the Chiefs to implode. We'd have to see how things play out in context.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Alex might have a good season with the Chiefs this upcoming year while the defense tanks or something else causes the Chiefs to implode. We'd have to see how things play out in context.
I dunno. Maybe.

No one wants to eat crow on this more than I do, no one, I just don't think I will.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I didn't realize 8-10 wins was what you wanted out of your "franchise" QB. I thought it was to win a championship.

If the offense scored 10 more per game the team is still only mid range offense.

Defense 4 less a game gets to average.

That gets approx to 8-8 record

The team SUCKED. Worst point dif by a bit.
And like the 2004 49ers the strength of schedule wasn't abnormally tough. 49ers in 2004 actually was sub .500 with only 2 Wins
Both 31st in TO margin

It requires QB and more to turn around a team.

49ers had already tried to get a tackle in the draft 2 years earlier in 2003. Kwame Harris. He was young like Anthony Davis and maybe just needed more time. Nope. A Bust. Signed LT Jonas Jennings. A Bust.

Brandon Lloyd had flashes but was traded.
Rashaun Woods. A Bust.
A few 3rd round WRs you don't hope for much but neither could be even a role guy.

Gore came in with Smith. Great player but a grinder not game breaker.

Drafted combine stars with some success.
Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson

Patrick Willis + a couple D pieces
Joe Staley a future LT is traded up for.

Kentwan Balmer
Chilo Rachal
2 more Busts seal Nolan and co fate. Do find a role WR late finally.

Michael Crabtree holds out and hops on 1 foot towards bustville for about 2 seasons.

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Due to fail of Christmas past 2 rookies stepped into starting spots.

It should be obvious the lack of a winning record and good offense for years goes beyond Alex Smith and the QB play. A lot of 49ers fans were too bitter/dumb to recognize it.
And the winning turn around is more than Jim Harbaugh is a magical coach. The talent on the team matured and more importantly stayed healthy.
And the 1 missing piece from the team was acquired in that 2011 draft. Not a QB. A pass rush.
Aldon Smith.

Last edited by ViperVisor : 02-28-2013 at 05:02 PM.
ViperVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

Alex Smith could have a 158.3 QB rating and throw for 450 yards with 6 TDs in the Owl but lose by a two point conversion in the final minute, and you would ***** that you gave up that precious second rounder for a non Owl winning QB. Your constant screaming of "CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONSHIP" when you gave up a second and next year third is ridiculous. You didn't give up the Jay Cutler haul, or the Carson Palmer haul, or anything like that.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The defense with 5 pro bowlers on it is going to implode?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote