Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Alex Smith could have a 158.3 QB rating and throw for 450 yards with 6 TDs in the Owl but lose by a two point conversion in the final minute, and you would ***** that you gave up that precious second rounder for a non Owl winning QB. Your constant screaming of "CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONSHIP" when you gave up a second and next year third is ridiculous. You didn't give up the Jay Cutler haul, or the Carson Palmer haul, or anything like that.
First, I wouldn't say anything of the sort. If he comes in and plays well I'll gladly eat crow.

Second, it wasn't JUST WHAT WE GAVE UP. I've already posted this three times. This is the last time I'm going to do it. You can either read it or not, but since you've continually refused to read any argument against Smith and hold your fingers in your ears screaming "LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU ALEX SMITH IS AWESOME" this will probably be a waste of my time, but here goes:

Trading for Alex Smith was not a bad move. Alex Smith was the best FA QB on the market, and if Reid tapped him as his guy, it was a good move.

The COMPENSATION is what makes this a really stupid decision. What we gave up isn't just a 2nd this year and a 3rd (conditional 2nd) next year, it's what it MEANS. It MEANS we're likely not drafting a QB in the first four rounds this year. It MEANS we'll go into the season with Alex Smith and Ricky Stanzi as our QBs, when Alex Smith is injury prone. It MEANS the culture with the Chiefs and their fans is not going to change.

It means a hell of a lot more than just a few picks. If you can't see that then you're blind, braindead, or both.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
The defense with 5 pro bowlers on it is going to implode?
The defense with 5 pro bowlers on it last year wasn't very good. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good. It was average. There are many reasons for this, but it doesn't change what it was.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Refuses to acknowledge Vidae's points, implies I am incapable of holding a debate. Classic Brodeur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also I have to say, that with sources suggesting that KC was the ONLY team actively pursuing Smith, the compensation makes even less sense.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've acknowledged it five different times saying it saves them from stupidly taking a QB in this awful QB draft, I don't know how many times I need to see it for that to stick. They can sign a backup QB, they won't go in with Stanzi as the backup.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
I've acknowledged it five different times saying it saves them from stupidly taking a QB in this awful QB draft, I don't know how many times I need to see it for that to stick. They can sign a backup QB, they won't go in with Stanzi as the backup.
It hardly saves them. If theyre giving Smith 40 mill for four years, that would not be any means saving them from drafting a guy like Geno, whose potential upside is greater what we know Smith's is at this point, even if he busts the rookie contract would be far less of a hit than what they would be giving to Smith. Take the chance, save the picks and the cap. Congrats on getting your marginally better Matt cassel and 1-2 more wins. And considering their schedule this year, those 1-2 more wins should be expected anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

It is kinda funny how people think the Chiefs should let Albert walk and draft Joeckel to save money and cap space, but they'd rather sign Alex Smith for two premium draft picks and overpay him instead of drafting the cheaper option with a lot more upside, and you get to save picks. Why is it alright for Albert but not Geno? Or another QB? Makes zero sense.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
The defense with 5 pro bowlers on it is going to implode?
The Pro Bowl is not an adequate indicator of truly good play. And it's not like stranger things have happened in the NFL. We've seen stranger things happen in the NFL. No one thought the Rams offense would implode in 2002 after their 2001 season, but it happened.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

And again, I'm not even hating on Smith here. I don't think the vast majority of people hating on this trade are ripping Smith. I think most of us realize he is what he is at this point. Its the whole dynamics and ripple effect this is going to have on the Chiefs. And like Vidae, if I'm dead wrong and Smith ends up the face of this franchise for the next five or so years I will admit I was wrong about this. But from the perspective right now, that deal is by no means a saving grace for them with the money.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
And again, I'm not even hating on Smith here. I don't think the vast majority of people hating on this trade are ripping Smith. I think most of us realize he is what he is at this point. Its the whole dynamics and ripple effect this is going to have on the Chiefs. And like Vidae, if I'm dead wrong and Smith ends up the face of this franchise for the next five or so years I will admit I was wrong about this. But from the perspective right now, that deal is by no means a saving grace for them with the money.
You not reading the thread? Plus, I have stated that I don't think the Chiefs should have rushed into the deal and traded so much, but I do think they're better off with Alex than Geno now and in the future.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
It is kinda funny how people think the Chiefs should let Albert walk and draft Joeckel to save money and cap space, but they'd rather sign Alex Smith for two premium draft picks and overpay him instead of drafting the cheaper option with a lot more upside, and you get to save picks. Why is it alright for Albert but not Geno? Or another QB? Makes zero sense.
Premium draft picks?

Actual premium picks at or near the top of the 1st have been squandered in every draft. Most notably by throwing whatever index card with QB on it at the commissioner.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
You not reading the thread? Plus, I have stated that I don't think the Chiefs should have rushed into the deal and traded so much, but I do think they're better off with Alex than Geno now and in the future.
I have been. Theres been a hand full of people who are saying he isn't good (and I'm assuming several of those people are tired of having this debate so theyre exaggerating how unimpressive Smith is). To your second point, Thats a fine opinion to hold, but if this deal is accurate, it wasn't a good trade. And again I'll bring up, sources have been reporting recently KC was the only interested buyer of Smith.....so why the **** would you throw that much at the 9ers? I mean good for SF, but it was by no means a good trade. And I thought that was what this whole debate was about.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Milquetoast quarterback. Not fiery or competitive. Quarterbacking, pumping gas...he'd have the same demeanor either way.

Lacks pocket presence, takes too many sacks. Can not buy time from within the pocket. Doesn't anticipate receiver breaks well...late on delivery. Effective short to intermediate when given perfect protection, but who isn't? Doesn't have any feel for the deep ball...no touch or control on the 9 or the 8. Not durable. Hasn't shown he can stay healthy for consecutive seasons. Not smooth in decision to run. His brain is slow on the field in everything he does, and it's been that way for 8 years now. Mechanical. Poor footwork disrupts ability to effectively execute passing plays. The silver lining is he doesn't take too many chances and can play the Neil O'Donnell role.

On the classic 8 point scouting scale...

Set Up-6-
Pocket Adjustment-4
Stand In Against Rush-4+
Delivery-5-
Read Coverages-5-
Throw Short-6
Throw Intermediate-5+
Throw Deep-5-
Mobility-6

JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Getting a LT who is not much of an upgrade over your current LT is not a wise way to spend that pick. With the current rookie wage scale, why wouldn't you risk the reward of potentially having a franchise qb? What do you have to lose? It doesn't cost that much anymore.

If he busts, he busts. He doesn't cost that much, and you can move on within 2 years. But if he's a franchise qb? Then you don't worry about the position for another 10 years.
Geno Smith is not a franchise quarterback. I certainly dont see it at all and apparently Andy Reid and Co dont see it either or theyd be getting him at 1.

Andy always gets the most out of his QBs, so he'll help alex perform as high as he can. Im still not sure how i feel about it overall though, need more time to let it sink in.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Milquetoast quarterback. Not fiery or competitive. Quarterbacking, pumping gas...he'd have the same demeanor either way.

Lacks pocket presence, takes too many sacks. Can not buy time from within the pocket. Doesn't anticipate receiver breaks well...late on delivery. Effective short to intermediate when given perfect protection, but who isn't? Doesn't have any feel for the deep ball...no touch or control on the 9 or the 8. Not durable. Hasn't shown he can stay healthy for consecutive seasons. Not smooth in decision to run. His brain is slow on the field in everything he does, and it's been that way for 8 years now. Mechanical. Poor footwork disrupts ability to effectively execute passing plays. The silver lining is he doesn't take too many chances and can play the Neil O'Donnell role.

Set Up-6-
Pocket Adjustment-4
Stand In Against Rush-4+
Delivery-5-
Read Coverages-5-
Throw Short-6
Throw Intermediate-5+
Throw Deep-5-
Mobility-6

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I agree with Jordan? I'm starting to think this was actually a spectacular trade for the Chiefs and Smith is an elite QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I agree with Jordan? I'm starting to think this was actually a spectacular trade for the Chiefs and Smith is an elite QB.
I know right? I was expecting him to say that Alex Smith is the next Drew Brees then he went and actually did a pretty good job of breaking him down.

Now I'm starting to question myself.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
YoJoeBucsFan
Veteran

YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.

I feel bad for Chiefs fans. They have been good to the Hunt family, and the fanbase gets repaid like this? With a crap, back up, loser retread. Alex Smith deserves every boo he will get.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
YoJoeBucsFan
Veteran

YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post

Set Up-6-
Pocket Adjustment-4
Stand In Against Rush-4+
Delivery-5-
Read Coverages-5-
Throw Short-6
Throw Intermediate-5+
Throw Deep-5-
Mobility-6

If that 5.2 means "total crap", then I agree.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I've been a season ticket holder for years and there is no way I'm buying them this year. I know one person isn't going to make a difference on the bottom line, but I don't think I'm alone.

After years and years, this just isn't fair. I know that is a rather childish stance to take, but it isn't fair! *stomps feet*

Oh well. The QB classes in 14/15/16 HAVE to be better than this year, I guess.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoeBucsFan View Post
I feel bad for Chiefs fans. They have been good to the Hunt family, and the fanbase gets repaid like this? With a crap, back up, loser retread. Alex Smith deserves every boo he will get.
It isn't really Smiths fault so I'm not sure he deserves any boos. All the blame is on the front office.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoeBucsFan View Post
If that 5.2 means "total crap", then I agree.
Below-average NFL starter.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've been a season ticket holder for years and there is no way I'm buying them this year. I know one person isn't going to make a difference on the bottom line, but I don't think I'm alone.

After years and years, this just isn't fair. I know that is a rather childish stance to take, but it isn't fair! *stomps feet*

Nah, I don't blame you. I'd be pissed too. It's not like you're going to stop supporting the team or watching them, but why give up your hard earned money for tickets when they seem pretty out of touch with the fan base?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Even if they're better, you're going to be picking between 13-19. The teams without ok game managers will get them.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Alex Tanney will save the Chiefs.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Their only hope for a QB they drafted winning a game is if Reid fixes AmeriStanzi.