Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the combine workouts start today.

At the start of last season I was convinced that the Pats were going to have to spend an early pick on an OL, most probably an interior OL, and that's what I was paying the most attention to at the start of the college season.

But now I don't even think that's one of their top 5 needs. The OL came together and did a pretty good job. Not spectacular, but not nearly as bad as they looked in August and September. Just make sure they don't lose Vollmer or they will need to draft an OT (or sign a FA).

In the draft I think they absolutely need to get at least one WR and at least one DB (depending on the Talib and Dennard situations). They also need another pass rusher to go opposite Jones and some depth at LB.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Corey Fuller (WR, VT) put up some solid #2 WR numbers (at worst). He was 6'2", 205 with 33.5 inch arms and 9.5 inch hands. Ran a low 4.4. Went to youtube and quickly watched him play some and he definitely runs routes similar to NE's system, but doesn't run many routes.

However, he caught some of the worst thrown balls I've seen. Logan Thomas has absolutely terrible accuracy. Just terrible.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So yeah, these receivers, I want one.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
So yeah, these receivers, I want one.
I would like two or three.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of the receivers had very good days today. I think there is plenty of value to be had for you guys in the second round. I would not be surprised to see Justin Hunter turn into the best receiver of this class after all is said and done. He picked up near the end of the season and ran well. Markus Wheaton and Robert Woods will be very good fits for the Pats as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read an interesting comment from a packers scout on Alec Ogletree:

"He's a top-10 talent. If you're the Patriots, you're taking the guy. It would be just a gift. And that's what's going to end up happening."

I'm not reading that much into the last sentence, but the second one is what intrigues me. Of all of the teams that pick in the late part of the first round (routinely), he picks NE - arguably one of the teams with the least need for a LB (though, Ogletree fits exactly the kind of LB they need...).

I wonder what he was thinking there.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cmarq would punt kittens off a bridge if we drafted another LB in the first again haha

I'm pretty sure this time we'd be on board with him tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love this WR class. I would actually be happy with a draft haul of Robert Woods or Deandre Hopkins in the first, Marquise Goodwin in the second, Ryan Swope in the third and then fix everything else in FA. Hope to get some offensive line depth late in the draft too

The Pats really need to tear **** up at the WR position

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Cmarq would punt kittens off a bridge if we drafted another LB in the first again haha
Haha, this made me laugh way more than I probably should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I love this WR class. I would actually be happy with a draft haul of Robert Woods or Deandre Hopkins in the first, Marquise Goodwin in the second, Ryan Swope in the third and then fix everything else in FA. Hope to get some offensive line depth late in the draft too

The Pats really need to tear **** up at the WR position
I just got a massive erection when I read this. Another scenario would be Tavon Austin, Robert Woods and Cobi Hamilton. That would be pretty beastly imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this time we'd be on board with him tho.
I was never anti-LB, I just wanted a potential pass coverage LB. I mentioned multiple times before the draft that I was squarely in the David, Wagner, and Kendricks camp.

Anyways Ogletree in the first would be a no go for me. I like him, but not 1st round like him and we wouldn't give him enough snaps to justify that high of a pick. We can fill the void there later on as we only need a rotational LBer to sub in for Spikes or Hightower in Nickel situations.

Also, I was thinking on doubling up on receivers as well. I'm more in the Tavon Austin/ trade up higher in the 2nd for Justin Hunter camp.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Saw a pretty well known internet mock drafter with the idea that I had a few months ago (trade Mallett, draft Glennon in the late 3rd) which I think is an excellent idea. The only problem is that Glennon might not make it to the late 3rd and unless NE is taking a future pick for Mallett, we won't be sure that Glennon will be around in the early 90s.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 AM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Saw a pretty well known internet mock drafter with the idea that I had a few months ago (trade Mallett, draft Glennon in the late 3rd) which I think is an excellent idea. The only problem is that Glennon might not make it to the late 3rd and unless NE is taking a future pick for Mallett, we won't be sure that Glennon will be around in the early 90s.
With Brady's contract being fully guaranteed, I don't see the value in taking a QB this year or next.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't know what we'd get in return for Mallett, but I doubt it would be much better than what we'd give up having to draft Glennon in the 3rd. Mallett is the much superior player of the 2 IMO. I'll take 2 years of having him as a backup even if we can't resign him once his contract ends.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
With Brady's contract being fully guaranteed, I don't see the value in taking a QB this year or next.
He'll be 40 his last season. He talks about playing to 45, but that's insane. At the point when he's in his late 30s, every season you should have a competent backup.

As far as Mallett vs Glennon, I think they are basically identical prospects (minus the off field stuff). I would expect a high second round pick for Mallett. Honestly, with what the Chiefs just gave up for Alex Smith, I would expect a mid first rounder... lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if we go corner in the first....who would you pick that's realistic?

i think im leaning trufant

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
if we go corner in the first....who would you pick that's realistic?

i think im leaning trufant
Trufant would be my guess but I wouldn't rule out Taylor or Banks

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only saw that Banks ran a terrible 40 time, how was the rest of his combine?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the corners make it to the Pats in the first, but if Rhodes or Trufant is there, jump all over it.

I had them taking Justin Hunter in my mock. S, CB, and WR are their primary needs. I had Vacarro and Reid gone and the top 3 corners were gone. Hunter seems like the #3 WR in the draft at this point.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
If they can get something significant for Mallet and land one of the QBs from this class with their late pick, why not just bring Hoyer back and make this happen? It really is starting to look like Mallet will never start for the Pats.

The QBs in this class have a lot of potential, they just have flaws that make them bad fits for teams that definitely need to hit on a guy. The Pats aren't in that position.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't think Rhodes will be available when we pick, he can go as high as 12.

I see us trading down easy, there will be teams at the top of 2 wanting to trade back into round 1 to get a QB, makes sense cause 1st rd picks are 5-year contracts whereas 2nd rd is 4 year, you would want that QB an eztra year of cheap salary.

Expect a run on CB's from bottom of rd 1 thru rd 2. So if we're thinking from our pick till about the our pick in rd 2 CB's we could look at are...

Trufant - Not as physical as you saw in the Sr bowl but has proved himself, not sure if he would last.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - Big, long armed, 2x captain and a good kid that loves football, sounds like a Patriot. teams like Ind, Jax, NYJ, Buf will look at him in rd 2, would have to take in rd 1

Jamar Taylor - He doesn't get enough credit, feisty speedy cover corner but struggles at pressing at the LOS another early 2nd rd prospect

Jonathan Banks - He is a pro, good kid, Joe Haden ran a worst 40, he just makes plays. another tall long armed CB, can still go late round 1 to middle rd 2

The rest could be had with our second rd

Robert Alford - Fast, electric returner, strong and good at press, mean attitude, not as big as one would like, tends to be overagressive

BW Webb - Another feisty corner but doesn't like to work through blocks, struggles in back pedal, good zone awareness, rmeinds me of Asante Samuel

Jordan Poyer - Smooth CB w/ fluid hips can play man and zone, lacks second gear and struggles at press.

Darius Slay - Long and Physical with speed might be a better pro than Banks, hard worker and good ST'r, lacks a drive to the ball

Leon McFadden - great feet, and can snatch the ball, understands zone but is on the smaller size

David Amerson - Boom or Bust, fast strightline speed, good size, very good ball skills. Gets beat to much, constantly struggled on doubles and fakes, gave up a lot vertical TDs

The reast is 3rd round possibilities
Tyrann Mathieu
Will Davis
Logan Ryan
Tharold Simon
Brandon McGee
Terry Hawthorne
Dwayne Gratz
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Robert Alford - Fast, electric returner, strong and good at press, mean attitude, not as big as one would like, tends to be overagressive
Drafting a guy who can truly be a return man would be a nice change. I'd love to see that, though I guess it depends on where our defensive philosophy lies this year.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It really looks like they need to bring in a FA CB. I don't see one worth taking lasting till #29 and they don't have a ton of ammunition to trade up with (nor is it really worth it to trade up).

Trufant or Rhodes would be dream picks in the first round, but I have both going in the Top 20.

I think Robert Alford is a legitimate option at #29, but that may be a better opportunity to take a player at a different position.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
I only saw that Banks ran a terrible 40 time, how was the rest of his combine?
He looked bad all around.

He's definitely falling. (I was shocked when he was rising)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reports are going around that the pats seemed very interested in the honey badger at the combine. they grilled him the hardest too apparently

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Elaborate haha

Quote:
Quote: