Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna laugh all hard and crap if Alex get yours a play off birth next season. You'all won't be pissed then or what ?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We got to the playoffs with Matt Cassel. If Alex Smith can win a playoff game for KC then maybe this won't be such a god awful ass raping trade of epic proportions, but I doubt it.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can definitely see Alex Smith win 10 games next season. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

You're missing the point. Making the playoffs is NOT the goal. Winning a championship is.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think thats a bit unfair to say for the first season however. The point is really closer to the fact that taking a guy through the draft with a potentially higher ceiling will get the Chiefs into better position for a Championship for years to come (or worse if they bust, but the point is we don't know their potential, and we know Smith's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Last edited by Jvig43 : 03-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be really hard for the Chiefs to be worse than last year.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'd be really hard for them to not win 1-3 more games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just before the season started the question was asked if the Chiefs can have a SF-like season if they had a bus driver qb performance out of Cassel like Smith did for the Niners.

So it's entirely possible that they have a great season. I won't discount that at all. But to me, it's all about building a team that can compete for the SB for years to come. And to do that, you need a franchise qb. Or at least try to get one.

This is a patchwork solution to the problem. It may work for like 2 or 3 years but thats it. And at its peak it still won't accomplish the ultimate goal of winning a championship.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I agree. Every move you make as a franchise should be with one goal in mind: win the Super Bowl. The reason this move is so infuriating is because I don't see how this gets us to that goal. Alex Smith isn't leading this team to a championship.. he just isn't.

The playoffs are not the goal and should never be the goal.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Just before the season started the question was asked if the Chiefs can have a SF-like season if they had a bus driver qb performance out of Cassel like Smith did for the Niners.

So it's entirely possible that they have a great season. I won't discount that at all. But to me, it's all about building a team that can compete for the SB for years to come. And to do that, you need a franchise qb. Or at least try to get one.

This is a patchwork solution to the problem. It may work for like 2 or 3 years but thats it. And at its peak it still won't accomplish the ultimate goal of winning a championship.
I don't think that is lost on any of the Chiefs fans on this forum. And sadly, it has been the story of the Chiefs for many years. Lamar Hunt was also more interested in selling tickets than winning championships (once he won one) and, despite what he says, it appears that Clark is following in his footsteps.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I'm gonna laugh all hard and crap if Alex get yours a play off birth next season. You'all won't be pissed then or what ?
If they don't go to the playoffs, Alex Smith or not, the season is a failure. So how is simply not being a failure something to float about?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
We got to the playoffs with Matt Cassel. If Alex Smith can win a playoff game for KC then maybe this won't be such a god awful ass raping trade of epic proportions, but I doubt it.
Stop confusing this trade with the Carson Palmer trade. They probably traded too much given that they were bidding against themselves, but it's hardly an awful ass raping. And if they make the playoffs this year, it's a success. You traded a couple of second rounders at most, not your entire future.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Stop confusing this trade with the Carson Palmer trade. They probably traded too much given that they were bidding against themselves, but it's hardly an awful ass raping. And if they make the playoffs this year, it's a success. You traded a couple of second rounders at most, not your entire future.
You are literally the only person who doesn't think this is a raping of a trade, and that is humorous to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A raping is multiple first round picks or a first and multiple seconds or something like that. It's the exact same trade that netted the Texans Matt Schaub, which nobody thinks was bad despite him only having 1 career playoff win.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to agree with Brodeur on this one.

As bad as it seems now, it doesn't compare to what Cincy did to Oakland in the Carson trade.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm not comparing it to the Oakland trade. That one was much worse, but that doesn't mean this one wasn't also really bad, which it was.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soooo . . . congrats to the Chiefs and their fans for getting raped by a dude with less girth?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Again, it's a very similar trade to what got the Texans Schaub and he really isn't THAT different of a QB from Smith.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Again, it's a very similar trade to what got the Texans Schaub and he really isn't THAT different of a QB from Smith.
And Schaub has taken the Texans where exactly? Congratulations, they're similar QBs, who cares? How does that matter at all?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
And Schaub has taken the Texans where exactly? Congratulations, they're similar QBs, who cares? How does that matter at all?
Because this is almost the exact same trade? Because NO ONE feels like that was a bad trade for the Texans?

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Schaub was a 24 year old QB with perceived upside.

There's a huge difference.

EDIT: Maybe 25 years old, now that I double check my math. Still, the point remains. 3 years as a backup with limited exposure is a lot different than 8 years of established mediocrity.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

He was 26. And regardless of whether or not he had perceived upside, he's not that different skill wise from Smith. There's no reason to believe Smith can't be just as capable as Schaub, so it would be a perfectly solid trade if Smith can approach those levels. Two second rounders isn't THAT much.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
He was 26. And regardless of whether or not he had perceived upside, he's not that different skill wise from Smith. There's no reason to believe Smith can't be just as capable as Schaub, so it would be a perfectly solid trade if Smith can approach those levels. Two second rounders isn't THAT much.
Maybe to start the season he was 26. In that case, we can go ahead and call Alex Smith 29.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Maybe to start the season he was 26. In that case, we can go ahead and call Alex Smith 29.
I have never said otherwise about Smith's age. And again, they are acquiring him after his best stretch as a pro, where he was showing that he had progressed as a passer. Supporting cast or no, that's still a thing. The biggest problem in the trade isn't what they gave up, it's that they gave it up when they probably had more leverage. I don't think in the long run the second round picks will matter, and I fully believe Smith will be an above average QB for the Chiefs.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about comparing Smith to Schaub.

It was thought that Schaub had the upside to be a top 5 QB in this league back then. He has better skills than Alex Smith in terms of arm strength but obviously can't move as good as Smith.

Smith is seen as no upside at the current moment. He is a solid accurate starting QB that won't turn over the ball.

Schaub was seen as a difference maker back then and a QB that could win the SB by multiple teams.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You are literally the only person who doesn't think this is a raping of a trade, and that is humorous to me.
Snowflakes gunna snowflake

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote