Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Hybrid/Gas Mileage Cars

Ok guys, I need a little help here. I'm in the market for a cheap used hybrid car. My budget is 6k, I really don't want to spend more than that on a car bc I am most likely selling it again in 2 years and I don't want to invest a lot of money in a car I'm selling again in the event I wind up getting stuck with it.

So far I'm eying used Prius' and Civic Hybrids. Does anyone have either of these cars, and can you shed some insight on maintenance for these vehicles?

To give you a better idea of what I'm looking at, here's an example:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3615454349.html

Something along those lines.

Does anyone have another car they would suggest for gas mileage? My goal with this car is basically gas mileage. I need a cheap commuter car that will maximize highway gas mileage as much as possible. That's the goal
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No one has a hybrid?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My wife drives a hybrid, but it's a 2013 Ford Fusion.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What's the pickup like? I heard it can get brutal when accelerating.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've come around to the idea of owning hybrids but I still don't know why anyone would own a Prius.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Accelerating does suck, but I really only notice it if I need (or want) to accelerate quickly. If you're stopped or going slow and someone wants to get in front of you, they're going to get in front of you. That said, we've only had the car for six weeks, so I've only driven it a handful of times.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What's wrong with a prius? A hybrid is a hybrid as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Wow I'm looking at Prius reviews on youtube. Are all Prius owners really this douchey?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Wow I'm looking at Prius reviews on youtube. Are all Prius owners really this douchey?
www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155193/thanks

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What's wrong with a prius? A hybrid is a hybrid as far as I'm concerned.
This is an old car, and the system on it isn't very effective. Actually you get a lower MPG in this one than if you buy a newer VW Golf with a BMT diesel engine. Not sure what the cost of those are in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Most, yes.

I am also looking at a hybrid, but only if the pricing is okay.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
This is an old car, and the system on it isn't very effective. Actually you get a lower MPG in this one than if you buy a newer VW Golf with a BMT diesel engine. Not sure what the cost of those are in America.
the diesel VWs get good mileage but repairs for a diesel engine can be far more expensive than on a petrol engine.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
the diesel VWs get good mileage but repairs for a diesel engine can be far more expensive than on a petrol engine.
The thing about VWs is that they don't break down. They're really reliant. I'm currently looking to buy a 2010 or newer Golf TDI. However, they're like $40,000+ here in Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
The thing about VWs is that they don't break down. They're really reliant. I'm currently looking to buy a 2010 or newer Golf TDI. However, they're like $40,000+ here in Denmark.
That's the opposite of what I've heard.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The newer V-dubs tend to be more reliable but anything under 2011, I would think twice before buying.

As for BBD, what do you think about this ?

Lower miles than that Prius you were looking at, plus, I'd recommend Honda >>>> Toyota. Both are reliable, great on gas and cheap to maintain, but my family owns both and if I had to choose between a Prius or a Civic, its the Civic every time.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/3643273396.html

Also, if you want good gas mileage, would you consider a diesel? My cousin has a VW Jetta TDI and she made it to Blacksburg Va, from Northern Va in 1 tank of diesel.

It burns a lot slower than gas and you get INSANE MPG but it does cost more per gallon.

Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz : 03-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Living in Cali, with gas prices... I wish I owned a hybrid so damn bad. :(
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The answer for most car questions is probably just Honda Civic. Good mpg, reliable, and good resale. It's boring simple and just works. Something like the civic hybrid above looks like the deal.

If you want to go full hybrid crazy...

1st gen Honda Insight. Last made in 2006. EPA 58 mph highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I've been looking into the civic hybrid too. I heard the civic hybrid is more problematic. Toyota's system apparently is more reliable and more efficient. The problem is it's a prius, whereas the Civic hybrid is much more stealth so you don't have that stereotype attached to you.

But at the end of the day, I could care less about anything other than gas mileage and reliability for this car. It's strictly a commuter car for my long commute to work (70 miles one way, mostly highway).

I just read that the Toyota battery is warrantied for 150k miles for California emissions states, which is huge bc I can get a Prius with less than 150k and have them replace the battery for free.

The only thing that sucks is I'm a performance guy, so going from that to a hybrid is a major kick in the balls, plus I heard the first generation Prius is extremely slow.

I'm still shopping around. Still haven't decided btw the Civic Hybrid and Prius, but leaning towards Prius right now just from the stuff people are saying about the 2.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Just getting a regular barebone Civic is my 3rd option. Can never go wrong with a Civic. I want to try to maximize my mpg though bc my commute is so long.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Just getting a regular barebone Civic is my 3rd option. Can never go wrong with a Civic. I want to try to maximize my mpg though bc my commute is so long.
The Civic LX gets nearly 40 MPG, and the Hybrid gets around the same number on the highway. Why pay the extra for a hybrid if most your driving is on the highway?

Also, 70 miles? What the ****?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The Civic LX gets nearly 40 MPG, and the Hybrid gets around the same number on the highway. Why pay the extra for a hybrid if most your driving is on the highway?

Also, 70 miles? What the ****?
Yeah man. 70 miles. They made me an offer I can't refuse. But at the same time, gas is a ***** and I need to save somehow so the plan is buy a commuter car which I need anyway and use that for work.

My budget is only 6k though (at most). So can I get a civic LX for that with that 40 mpg estimate?

I heard the 2003 Prius if you learn how to drive it right can get up to 60 mpg on the highway. The risk I take is if it craps out, it's expensive to fix, but I heard they're rock solid for the most part.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Yeah man. 70 miles. They made me an offer I can't refuse. But at the same time, gas is a ***** and I need to save somehow so the plan is buy a commuter car which I need anyway and use that for work.
I was more wondering why you wouldn't consider moving closer to that destination, but, as I type this, I realize that I don't know your situation, so nevermind.

Quote:
My budget is only 6k though (at most). So can I get a civic LX for that with that 40 mpg estimate?

I heard the 2003 Prius if you learn how to drive it right can get up to 60 mpg on the highway. The risk I take is if it craps out, it's expensive to fix, but I heard they're rock solid for the most part.
I don't know if you are going to find a Prius for that kind of price. I currently have an '03 Civic with a manual, and if I am doing almost entirely highway driving, I average roughly 38 mpg. Coincidentally, my Civic is worth 6k according to Kelley Blue Book.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I was more wondering why you wouldn't consider moving closer to that destination, but, as I type this, I realize that I don't know your situation, so nevermind.

I don't know if you are going to find a Prius for that kind of price. I currently have an '03 Civic with a manual, and if I am doing almost entirely highway driving, I average roughly 38 mpg. Coincidentally, my Civic is worth 6k according to Kelley Blue Book.
Yeah I can't move, that's the problem. I'm working on a 1 year contract and I accepted the position bc it's a great career growth opportunity for me. Basically if I can last the duration of the contract, I can then put that experience on my resume and be set for the rest of my career.

But at the same time, I'm not moving for a 1 year contract, nor do I want to. I want to complete the year, then find something closer to home once I have that on my resume.

I thought it would be easier to find Civic hybrids than Prius' but so far I'm seeing better deals on the Prius. And from what I read, the Prius gets better gas mileage and has less problems than the Civic. Plus the warranty and battery life is better for the Prius.

Ideally I want a regular Civic but if I can get an extra 10 mpg out of a Prius, that might be worth it. The plan (for now) is to drive this car for the year of my contract, while saving money on gas, then I'm selling it after a year to minimize the loss. So if I take like a 1k hit on the car, but save a good 5 grand on gas for the year, I come out on top.

Or if I like it enough, I just might keep it and make it my commuter car. That's why I want to keep my budget to a minimum, in the event I do keep the car I want to spend as little as possible on a commuter car bc spending more defeats the purpose of saving money to begin with.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I can't move, that's the problem. I'm working on a 1 year contract and I accepted the position bc it's a great career growth opportunity for me. Basically if I can last the duration of the contract, I can then put that experience on my resume and be set for the rest of my career.

But at the same time, I'm not moving for a 1 year contract, nor do I want to. I want to complete the year, then find something closer to home once I have that on my resume.

I thought it would be easier to find Civic hybrids than Prius' but so far I'm seeing better deals on the Prius. And from what I read, the Prius gets better gas mileage and has less problems than the Civic. Plus the warranty and battery life is better for the Prius.

Ideally I want a regular Civic but if I can get an extra 10 mpg out of a Prius, that might be worth it. The plan (for now) is to drive this car for the year of my contract, while saving money on gas, then I'm selling it after a year to minimize the loss. So if I take like a 1k hit on the car, but save a good 5 grand on gas for the year, I come out on top.

Or if I like it enough, I just might keep it and make it my commuter car. That's why I want to keep my budget to a minimum, in the event I do keep the car I want to spend as little as possible on a commuter car bc spending more defeats the purpose of saving money to begin with.
You won't save anywhere close to 5 grand on gas in a year choosing a Prius over a Civic.

Lets say you drive 40,000 miles this year which is probably about right:

(40,000/45)*3.9=$3,900

(40,000/35)*3.9=$5,015

Depending on the taxes and fees your state has it might not even be worth it to go through the aggravation of getting buying and selling a car in a year unless your car now gets awful gas mileage/ you don't want to depreciate it too much.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote