Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
How? It was one of the best movies of the naughts, easily. I'd gladly take it over any movie of the last few years.
You are an insane person.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How? It was one of the best movies of the naughts, easily. I'd gladly take it over any movie of the last few years.
I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't remember there being too much to the movie and wasn't entertaining to me. Beyond that I had some issues with the message of the film. When I see a movie that is about historical events, I don't care what is changed as long as the essence remains the same. I didn't like Lincoln, but any historical changes made were fine because it was truthful. Even Argo, with the addition of the kids putting together the pictures and the chase on the runway, it felt like it captured the craziness of the event truthfully.

Overall, I didn't find it to be particularly entertaining or artfully done in any way.

I use the word truthful, because I see it like The Things They Carried. Basically, the author muses on storytelling about the question between reality and truth. Reality being the facts whereas truth is the heart of the event.

Last edited by josh07039 : 02-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...you're Jewish then? I forgot that for a minute. I'm Jewish and I didn't have a problem with it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't get the Munich hate. That was a really good dramatic, suspenseful film with great philosophical exploration and themes, great cinemetography, very very interesting subject matter. I mean it's about a government hit team going around awesome European cities knocking off terrorists and it's all about morality. Argo has nothing on that.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So...you're Jewish then? I forgot that for a minute. I'm Jewish and I didn't have a problem with it.
I am, but Judaism has nothing to do with my feelings that Munich isn't good. Its fairly consistent with my feelings about most Speilberg movies of the recent years. This one happened to be one of his worst, even in this downslide period of his career.

Eric Bana is the man btw.

If you really want to know my feelings about the movie from a Jewish or historical perspective, Ill gladly get into it, but im not sure if anyone cares.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Master sucked.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The Master sucked.
Elaborate please.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, it's no Munich if that is what you mean. Also, Munich destroys every movie Spielberg has made in the naughts, and only Minority Report is even remotely close.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, it's no Munich if that is what you mean. Also, Munich destroys every movie Spielberg has made in the naughts, and only Minority Report is even remotely close.
It is not like he has made a bunch of incredible films in the naughts though.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think our taste is just entirely different. I ddin't even like Minority Report really. I think that's basically the deal here.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
It is not like he has made a bunch of incredible films in the naughts though.
Munich and Minority Report were both great. And he made of the best movies of the 90s, one of the best movies of the 80s, etc.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Munich and Minority Report were both great. And he made of the best movies of the 90s, one of the best movies of the 80s, etc.
You know he only produced & wrote Poltergeist right?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
2000's - He ****** up A.I. so completely it is laughable. Catch Me If You Can I actually like. Minority Report I thought was okay. War of the Worlds was ******* awful. Munich I thought was okay. Indiana Jones was terrible. Tin Tin and War Horse I did not see. Lincoln was a piece of ****.

90's - I liked Hook, really liked Jurassic Park and the sequel and thought Saving Private Ryan was okay. Schindler's List was great.

80's - He made a bunch of really good films.

Keep in mind that he worked with the most talented people in the industry. Purely speculation but I think he has collaborated less in his later years and it is becoming more obvious that he is just not that great a director. A great idea man who knows how to make a family friendly movie that is not too smart or too dumb. He also knows his niche and does not attempt to be more than what he is. I readily admit that my distaste for him does have a lot to do with people who call him the greatest director ever when he would in no way even be in my top 20. Well that and I hate him for ******* up A.I. so much.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Oh yeah, Munich is totally a family movie.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Oh yeah, Munich is totally a family movie.
You are right. I was wrong there. Schindlers List, Munich, Saving Private Ryan, and I am sure there are one or two others that are not family films.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Also, Lincoln was not ******* awful. It was a solid little movie with good performances from people not named Sally Field. War of the Worlds though is pretty much the pinnacle of over the top happy endings for Steve though.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You are right. I was wrong there. Schindlers List, Munich, Saving Private Ryan, and I am sure there are one or two others that are not family films.
I wouldn't let children watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
I wouldn't let children watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I would not let anyone watch Crystal Skull.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
I would not let anyone watch Crystal Skull.
I still blame Lucas for that one.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with Brodie on Minority Report. I thought it was very very good and it still holds up as I watched it recently. Also, I hate Tom Cruise any anything he's in so Spielberg really did a heck of a job on that as far as I'm concerned. One of the better sic-fi movies in the last 15 years.

Saving Private Ryan is better than ok.

Agree with you on everything else though Gonzo. Never saw Munich.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm with Brodie on Minority Report. I thought it was very very good and it still holds up as I watched it recently. Also, I hate Tom Cruise any anything he's in so Spielberg really did a heck of a job on that as far as I'm concerned. One of the better sic-fi movies in the last 15 years.

Saving Private Ryan is better than ok.

Agree with you on everything else though Gonzo. Never saw Munich.
Tom Cruise is ******* brilliant in Magnolia. Easily his best role. Really liked him in Born on the Forth of July too.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tom Cruise is ******* brilliant in Magnolia. Easily his best role. Really liked him in Born on the Forth of July too.
Well you love everything by PTA so I figured you would say that. Cruise isn;t an awful actor I just can't stand him and his face.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well you love everything by PTA so I figured you would say that. Cruise isn;t an awful actor I just can't stand him and his face.
I do love PTA but even if I didn't I would still say that Cruise gives his best performance in Magnolia. I was actually amazed at how good he was. One more film I loved him in was Eyes Wide Shut.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well im gonna go watch minority report now

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

No love for him in Collateral? Asshats.

RIP TheManInBlack