Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's ******* hilarious to me that Alex Smith has any defenders period, but that reasoning just blew my damn mind.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
It's ******* hilarious to me that Alex Smith has any defenders period, but that reasoning just blew my damn mind.
Why such an average QB has so much fervent and passionate support blows my mind. Is he as bad as some people think, no, but is he as good as a couple of 49er posters think he is, not a chance.

In before "104 passer rating y'all"
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Why such an average QB has so much fervent and passionate support blows my mind. Is he as bad as some people think, no, but is he as good as a couple of 49er posters think he is, not a chance.

If Alex Smith was half as good as his defenders thought he'd still be a 49er.

ps what if Kaep blows a knee in week 1? That team is ******.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
BoJackson
Rookie

BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoJackson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post

Before, it was to convince themselves that the team hadn't made a huge mistake by taking him #1 overall and that he was just a victim of bad circumstances. Recently, it was to convince themselves that he was good enough to win a Super Bowl and that he wouldn't be the reason if the team didn't make it, again. Now that he's gone, they're completely stuck in defending him and will now endlessly try to convince people that this was a GOOD trade for the Chiefs somehow.
BoJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

ps what if Kaep blows a knee in week 1? That team is ******.
If Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Ryan, Flacco, etc. blew out their knee week 1 their team would be ******...
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackson View Post
Before, it was to convince themselves that the team hadn't made a huge mistake by taking him #1 overall and that he was just a victim of bad circumstances. Recently, it was to convince themselves that he was good enough to win a Super Bowl and that he wouldn't be the reason if the team didn't make it, again. Now that he's gone, they're completely stuck in defending him and will now endlessly try to convince people that this was a GOOD trade for the Chiefs somehow.
Some people have an opinion and use facts to convince themselves of reality others are ignorant and promote ignorance to support their views.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice historical piece on the Chiefs track record of veteran quarterbacks.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...ore-qbs/21613/
Todd Blackledge was the last quarterback drafted by the Chiefs to win a game (1987).
Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackson View Post
He's good enough to win a super bowl on an excellent team but he's very average...probably the 17th-20th best QB in the league..give or take...

As a 49er fan in the bay area I can tell you that the vast majority of 49er fans were never under any illusion that Alex was anything more than average after seeing his 1st 2 seasons.....the silent majority??

After 8 seasons fans get attached to even average QB's I guess, I wish him well but after receiving over $50 million from SF I definitely don't feel guilty about trading him away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The best move for the Chiefs is still to draft Geno #1. Alex Smith is nothing more than a stopgap, but he's the perfect guy to lead the team while a young QB learns on the bench.

The #1 need for this team is still a franchise caliber QB. That is always your need until you address it, and only fools think that's what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith.

It'll still be an OT though. Albert will walk and the pick will be Joeckel or Fisher. Sidegrade sidegrade sidegrade.

Settling for mediocrity instead of striving for greatness. - The KC Chiefs
I really would applaud the fo if they pulled something like that. Heres hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
He's good enough to win a super bowl on an excellent team but he's very average...probably the 17th-20th best QB in the league..give or take...

As a 49er fan in the bay area I can tell you that the vast majority of 49er fans were never under any illusion that Alex was anything more than average after seeing his 1st 2 seasons.....the silent majority??

After 8 seasons fans get attached to even average QB's I guess, I wish him well but after receiving over $50 million from SF I definitely don't feel guilty about trading him away.
You should probably feel a little guilty for what your team just did to the chiefs.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
Todd Blackledge was the last quarterback drafted by the Chiefs to win a game (1987).
If by nice you mean depressing then I agree.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

What fans got attached to was Alex Smith as the scapegoat.

The Goal to Go plays from Kaepernick in the Super Bowl was like how your little brother would do it when you are trying to have them learn. It was like it was new to him.
If Alex Smith did that to fall short of the Super Bowl this or last year the surge from the crap storm would be 3 stories high.

Either way it would be only a handful of plays in the game and not really fair to pin a game on 1 guys play at the end of 1 drive.
But there was a segment of fans who dogged Smith and the past 2 years at any chance would heap most all the blame when looking at the offense on Smith.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
If Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Ryan, Flacco, etc. blew out their knee week 1 their team would be ******...
Well, sure, but they didn't just trade a very capable backup.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A very capable backup due to collect $8.5 million. That trade made all the sense in the world for SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And they didn't have one to begin with.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
Wow this is one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Holy ****.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
What fans got attached to was Alex Smith as the scapegoat.

The Goal to Go plays from Kaepernick in the Super Bowl was like how your little brother would do it when you are trying to have them learn. It was like it was new to him.
If Alex Smith did that to fall short of the Super Bowl this or last year the surge from the crap storm would be 3 stories high.

Either way it would be only a handful of plays in the game and not really fair to pin a game on 1 guys play at the end of 1 drive.
But there was a segment of fans who dogged Smith and the past 2 years at any chance would heap most all the blame when looking at the offense on Smith.
Smith deserved the lion's share of the blame for the shortcomings of the 49ers though. They were terrible in the redzone in 2011, and a big chunk of that is on Smith. He was the most sacked QB on a per-pressure basis in the entire league in 2011, and he didn't capitalize on nearly enough of the 37 turnovers he was give by his defense. With the overall talent and cushy conditions he played with the offense should have scored more than it did. It looked better with Kaepernick in, and I think it's fairly damning that a guy who was going through his lumps in his first 11 starts looked noticeably better than the guy who had 7 years of experience.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That can't be right. It's impossible. No chief qb drafted has won a single game since 1987?!

I call BS on that.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe Brodie Croyle had 10 starts. That's baffling. He was so ******* bad. Even at Alabama, he was bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That can't be right. It's impossible. No chief qb drafted has won a single game since 1987?!

I call BS on that.
Nope, that is true. And that is so upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I can't believe Brodie Croyle had 10 starts. That's baffling. He was so ******* bad. Even at Alabama, he was bad.
Yeah. This team is such a joke.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I call BS on that.
Nope. They also haven't won a playoff game since Joe Montana and Marcus Allen were on the team twenty years ago.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

@ vidae

Get ready to see (2) specific plays early and often:

1) The 3 step drop, throwing a 3 yard out pattern to the far side of the field:

This is my favorite throw that Alex makes because I can go into the kitchen and make myself a sandwich and think of the probability that the throw will end up as a pick 6 and still get back to the TV in time to see the throw reach it's "target". The good news is that this high-risk 3 yd completion does work at least 50% of the time when it's 3rd and 10.

2) The Montana-like roll out to the right.

I'm shocked that this play does not catch the defense by surprise more often since Alex only rolls right 95% of the time that he feels pressure. Shockingly this play usually results in Alex throwing to one of his defensive lineman standing on the sideline, it is noteworthy that Alex throws a catch-able ball to said lineman and the pass is usually hauled in without incident.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

**** this pathetic piece of **** franchise. Jesus christ. How is any of this EVEN POSSIBLE? You have to TRY to be as bad as the Chiefs have been at addressing the QB situation. There is just no earthly way that this happened by accident. Someone decided to make this franchise this way. Who was it? Oh help me god if I find out who it was.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
@ vidae

Get ready to see (2) specific plays early and often:

1) The 3 step drop, throwing a 3 yard out pattern to the far side of the field:

This is my favorite throw that Alex makes because I can go into the kitchen and make myself a sandwich and think of the probability that the throw will end up as a pick 6 and still get back to the TV in time to see the throw reach it's "target". The good news is that this high-risk 3 yd completion does work at least 50% of the time when it's 3rd and 10.

2) The Montana-like roll out to the right.

I'm shocked that this play does not catch the defense by surprise more often since Alex only rolls right 95% of the time that he feels pressure. Shockingly this play usually results in Alex throwing to one of his defensive lineman standing on the sideline, it is noteworthy that Alex throws a catch-able ball to said lineman and the pass is usually hauled in without incident.
Yes when Alex did start rolling out you knew the play was over and it was going to be a pass out of bounds. 95% of the time.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Remember 2008 when some Chiefs fans were saying that Tyler Thigpen was the QB of the future and others were arguing that Brodie Croyle deserved another shot?

God, that was funny.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Smith deserved the lion's share of the blame for the shortcomings of the 49ers though. They were terrible in the redzone in 2011, and a big chunk of that is on Smith. He was the most sacked QB on a per-pressure basis in the entire league in 2011, and he didn't capitalize on nearly enough of the 37 turnovers he was give by his defense. With the overall talent and cushy conditions he played with the offense should have scored more than it did. It looked better with Kaepernick in, and I think it's fairly damning that a guy who was going through his lumps in his first 11 starts looked noticeably better than the guy who had 7 years of experience.
The talent? I have already showed they were dropping passes worse than every team but the Browns. The 2 and 3 WRs were on IR/Cut. Vernon isn't a natural at the position although a freak of nature. We had Crabtree doubts here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...light=Crabtree
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...light=Crabtree

Gore and the O-Line last year were failures at tough yardage. 49ers were one of the worst at getting a 1st Down on 3rd and short on the ground. Or punching it in the endzone.

The 2011 rankings page I saw last year is only 2012 now but can still look at Gore splits.
51 rushes in the redzone. 2.1 avg
28 rushes at the 10 or closer 1.3 avg
That is like Michael Turner bad.

In the close range the Line is more about positioning than just brute force. You need to be on point. The O-Line / scheme wasn't working.

2011 needed improvement across the board. Smith, runners, receivers.
It did get better in 2012.

And the offense looking better. You saw an illusion.

In 5 of Smith's 8 games the 49ers were dominate and game was in hand in the 2nd half and the team doesn't practice the Patriots run up the score philosophy.
Smith took 3 sacks up 16+ vs GB and AZ
Kaepernick didn't have 1 all year. Mostly because the team was rarely consistent enough to build a lead in the first half or 3Qs.