Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Five players I really like and hope Baalke likes as well...

Corey Lemonier

Chris Gragg

Earl Wolff

Darius Slay

Josh Boyce

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-01-2013 at 01:43 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Prime Time
Rookie

Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.Prime Time could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
So we got

-34 (KC)
-74 (CAR)

Trent, you're the ******* man
One of the best GMs in football right now!! Man I'm loving this move like all of you guys but like Dan said, not going to get excited till March 12th comes around and it's official! I cannot wait until that date passes and then all the crazy moves start happening! Football is the best sport in the world baby and we have one of the best teams with the most draft picks.. Sounds way to good to be true but it is what it is baby.. Just wondering are we going to play that game on draft day where we just ship our extra picks for future picks in next year's draft and continue that process? I mean I understand we don't have that many roster spots available for 15 draft picks but how often will the drafts be loaded with talent like this year's draft? Something tells me we draft like 8-9 guys and package the rest of the picks for next year's draft?

Prime Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we use at least 10 of those early draft picks. We still need some help at wide receiver and defense also a kicker needs to be drafted still. No more old kickers who die out at the end of the season.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft wise -

We could use a huge redzone target at WR, a TE (if Walker leaves), a future C (if Kilgore isnt ready), depth at LT, RG and RT. A NT, a 3-4 DE who may have to start as early as 2014, another pass rushing OLB, a FS (if Goldson leaves) and at least a starting caliber CB.

That's 11 draft picks right there alone. Of course, that all depends on what happens in regards to our own FA's and if we sign any FA's.

On a side note -

The franchise tender for safeties is $6.9m which is less than expected. For 2012, it was $6.20m. Any chance that for another $700k, Baalke franchises Goldson?

Honestly, I dont think that any rookie will match what he has and can do. As for other FA's, William Moore wouldnt be bad but Jarius Bryd would be an upgrade but possibly cost more.

Three days left for franchise and RFA tenders so the weekend and Monday especially should be interesting.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
On a side note -

The franchise tender for safeties is $6.9m which is less than expected. For 2012, it was $6.20m. Any chance that for another $700k, Baalke franchises Goldson?
He was franchised last year at $6.212 Million. Franchise requires a pay of 120% so for Goldson that would mean he would make $7.4544 Million not $6.9.

It would be an increase of over $1.3 million.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
He was franchised last year at $6.212 Million. Franchise requires a pay of 120% so for Goldson that would mean he would make $7.4544 Million not $6.9.

It would be an increase of over $1.3 million.
Even at that amount, I think that its worth it to franchise him because we dont have anyone to replace him and any other UFA will cost the same or more unless its a veteran. On a side note - Bills franchised Jairus Byrd.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Even at that amount, I think that its worth it to franchise him because we dont have anyone to replace him and any other UFA will cost the same or more unless its a veteran. On a side note - Bills franchised Jairus Byrd.
Isn't that what the draft is for? Baalke has done a great job in the draft and plugging in a guy like Elam behind an elite front 7 would be a great addition. You guys know better then I would, but I saw a bunch of Niner games and I always felt while Goldson played really well he's not irreplaceable. You guys re-signed most of your LB core, and if you keep re-signing all your homegrown talent it'll run thin when it's time to re-up Iupati and Kaep who IMO would be the 2 highest orders to re-sign here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this DB class. good talent and a bunch of tweeners. even if we're not able to resign Goldson, i like our chances in replacing him

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Isn't that what the draft is for? Baalke has done a great job in the draft and plugging in a guy like Elam behind an elite front 7 would be a great addition. You guys know better then I would, but I saw a bunch of Niner games and I always felt while Goldson played really well he's not irreplaceable. You guys re-signed most of your LB core, and if you keep re-signing all your homegrown talent it'll run thin when it's time to re-up Iupati and Kaep who IMO would be the 2 highest orders to re-sign here soon.
Very very unlikely we would go with any rookie as a starter at FS. That's a position few rookies come into the league and hit the ground running. And they're are no sure fire studs at FS in this draft(the Elam love is quite baffling to me). More than likely they would let Spillman, Robinson and a free agent vet duke it out. And that elite front seven wore out as the season progressed so its more important to find depth and talent to spell those guys upfront to keep the pass rush consistent. People have the image of the Ravens and Falcons game in their head, but for much of the season, we had one of the better secondaries in the league. People are making a little too much of our coverage woes of the last two games. We chose the wrong time of the year for the secondary not to play to the best of their abilities. But I don't think either Goldson or Whitner are liabilities....far from it.

I want Goldson back. I think he's earned the right to be one of the highest paid safties. Obviously I wish he wasn't hell bent on being a 8 mil a year guy but if you can pay Rogers I don't see why you can't extend Goldson. But I understand how Baalke is. He won't pay one cent over what he feels a player is worth. If he thinks Goldson is worth 7 mil a year, that's what it is and he'll watch him hit the market and try to get more. I don't mind overpaying a little for our own guys. Obviously Baalke does. Stay tuned.

Honestly, I'd rather keep Goldson and cut Rogers. And I really like Rogers but I think FS is a harder position to fill. Packers lost Nick Collins and that secondary hasn't recovered since. I'd take my chances replacing a good CB over a good FS.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I like this DB class. good talent and a bunch of tweeners. even if we're not able to resign Goldson, i like our chances in replacing him
Exactly this. This is a very deep safety and corner class and finding a replacement for Goldson would be easier this year than most. I am not as high on Elam as most I think Amerson would be a very good fit at FS converting him.

@Vafy-ya

I really like what I saw from Lemonier in those clips. He looked good dropping in coverage and did a very good job setting the edge in the running game. The Bama film was particularly impressive since he looked like he was doing just as good a job in the 4th quarter as he was in the first.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I too disagree with the Rogers move. Rogers is a solid player but got overpaid (his deal is 4/29 with 1 year of that 4 already gone, right?).

I don't think we get any cap relief from cutting him though. Maybe $1 million in savings for what is at least an average corner. We could do better but we could also do a lot worse. Might as well keep him around if the savings are so low.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I too disagree with the Rogers move. Rogers is a solid player but got overpaid (his deal is 4/29 with 1 year of that 4 already gone, right?).

I don't think we get any cap relief from cutting him though. Maybe $1 million in savings for what is at least an average corner. We could do better but we could also do a lot worse. Might as well keep him around if the savings are so low.
Yea, I think its saves us only around 2 mil, depending on when he's cut. Not really worth it as you said but I knew his contract last year would affect what we did with Goldson this year, which is why I was more in favor of letting Rogers walk last off-season. It is what it is and you can't take the contract back. But FS is by far, the harder position to field. In Baalke I trust so I won't ***** too much but if they let Goldson walk and the secondary isn't as effective next year, it will be a tough lesson for Baalke and the team to learn from.

The thing about the draft is this team, with its SB aspirations, shouldn't pin its hopes on some rookie to come in and save the day. That's what teams who are rebuilding or aren't as talented do. But this team needs playmakers who are ready NOW. Nothing wrong with drafting the next Goldson and letting him develop for later down the road. But you don't give up a proven commodity because you have draft picks. That's not how you stay successful. I'm sure Baalke knows this and has a plan in place that doesn't rely on some rookie to come on and take the league by storm. You'd have a better chance getting hit by lighting than watching a rookie FS come here, earn a starting position, play lights out and is Ed Reed 2.0 that every fan envisions, defends every deep ball perfectly and is always in perfect position on every pass play and makes us forget all about Goldson. So I think if Goldson leaves, its more realistic that we either look in-house or to free agency to fill that void immediately and look at any rookie we draft as depth/future starter.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

UGH.

http://ninercaphell.com/2013/02/26/a...ith-the-49ers/

This is why I never wanted the team to re-sign Rogers a year ago. Cant believe that we'll most likely lose Goldson instead of releasing Rogers. UGH.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
UGH.

http://ninercaphell.com/2013/02/26/a...ith-the-49ers/

This is why I never wanted the team to re-sign Rogers a year ago. Cant believe that we'll most likely lose Goldson instead of releasing Rogers. UGH.
How did you come to that conclusion from an article you read about how smartly designed that contract was?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
How did you come to that conclusion from an article you read about how smartly designed that contract was?
I dont think that the contract for Rogers was that smart. Releasing him wouldnt save that much all things considered and like I said a year ago, his four year contract was basically a two year deal but could come at the loss of Goldson which I think is more of a negative than a positive.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I dont think that the contract for Rogers was that smart. Releasing him wouldnt save that much all things considered and like I said a year ago, his four year contract was basically a two year deal but could come at the loss of Goldson which I think is more of a negative than a positive.
Losing Goldson is most likely going to be because he wants more money than Baalke will give him. I don't think Rodgers' contract will be THAT big of a deal.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan, teams don't cut guys 1 year into a 4-yr contract very often. It damages their reputation with future signings and internal re-signings. It's bad business.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Draft wise -

We could use a huge redzone target at WR, a TE (if Walker leaves), a future C (if Kilgore isnt ready), depth at LT, RG and RT. A NT, a 3-4 DE who may have to start as early as 2014, another pass rushing OLB, a FS (if Goldson leaves) and at least a starting caliber CB.

That's 11 draft picks right there alone. Of course, that all depends on what happens in regards to our own FA's and if we sign any FA's.

On a side note -

Honestly, I dont think that any rookie will match what he has and can do. As for other FA's, William Moore wouldnt be bad but Jarius Bryd would be an upgrade but possibly cost more.

Three days left for franchise and RFA tenders so the weekend and Monday especially should be interesting.
Why weren't any of these needs taken care of in last years draft?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Report from NFL says we're still in the run for Revis.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Losing Goldson is most likely going to be because he wants more money than Baalke will give him. I don't think Rodgers' contract will be THAT big of a deal.
Probably but at the same time, if Baalke never re-signed Rogers, he would have that extra money to use and thus, could keep Goldson. Personally, I would re-sign Goldson or at the very least, franchise him again. I wouldnt let him hit the open market until next year, if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Dan, teams don't cut guys 1 year into a 4-yr contract very often. It damages their reputation with future signings and internal re-signings. It's bad business.
I know which is why I didnt want them to re-sign Rogers a year ago. I knew at the very least that he wasnt going anywhere for at least two years (except in my M13 CCm, tee hee). He's only going to get worse, not better and we're going to most likely lose our best secondary player because of it. To me, thats truly bad business.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dream draft option #1

#31: Desmond Trufant
#34: Jesse Williams
#61: Justin Hunter
#74: Margus Hunt
#93: Gavin Escobar/Marcus Davis/DJ Swearinger/Brian Shwenke

May have to use some of our 4th and 5th round picks to move up a few spots here and there but I think this is somewhat possible but we'll have to see how high Margus Hunt's stock goes...

Quote:
Old 03-02-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Brandon Williams

John Jenkins

Kwaan Short

Sylvester Williams

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Corey Fuller(whoever made this vid had to be drunk but the only one I could find)

Markus Wheaton

Mark Harrison

Justin Hunter

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

and even though we don't need a RB in anyway, I really like this kid....

Christine Michael

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Rate the following players on how much you think they will contribute next season from a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest.

1) AJ Jenkins: 3, I don't know if he will start but I'd expect him to be our #3 WR hopefully, #4 WR worse case scenario.

2) La Michael James: 4, I don't see him overtaking Kendall Hunter next year but I do see him as a 3rd down back as well as our kick returner.

3) Joe Looney: 2, should be our 3rd guard and maybe even active on Sundays.

4) Darius Fleming: 1, not real confident he will be active on any Sunday next year. Not a shoe-in to even make the final cuts.

5) Trenton Robinson: 1, Same

6) Jason Slowey: 1, Same EDIT: Apparently he was cut..

7) Cam Johnson: 1, Same

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.