Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Dream draft option #1

#31: Desmond Trufant
#34: Jesse Williams
#61: Justin Hunter
#74: Margus Hunt
#93: Gavin Escobar/Marcus Davis/DJ Swearinger/Brian Shwenke

May have to use some of our 4th and 5th round picks to move up a few spots here and there but I think this is somewhat possible but we'll have to see how high Margus Hunt's stock goes...
I really like your style.

Mine right now is...

#31 DeAndre Hopkins
#34 Jesse Williams
#61 Travis Kelce
#74 Duke Williams
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rate the following players on how much you think they will contribute next season from a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest.

1) AJ Jenkins: 3, I don't know if he will start but I'd expect him to be our #3 WR hopefully, #4 WR worse case scenario.

2) La Michael James: 4, I don't see him overtaking Kendall Hunter next year but I do see him as a 3rd down back as well as our kick returner.

3) Joe Looney: 2, should be our 3rd guard and maybe even active on Sundays.

4) Darius Fleming: 1, not real confident he will be active on any Sunday next year. Not a shoe-in to even make the final cuts.

5) Trenton Robinson: 1, Same

6) Jason Slowey: 1, Same

7) Cam Thomas: 1, Same
Slowey hasn't been on the roster since TC. He was cut fairly early. And we never drafted Cam Thomas. We have a Cam Johnson though....

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Slowey hasn't been on the roster since TC. He was cut fairly early. And we never drafted Cam Thomas. We have a Cam Johnson though....
LOL, thanks for the correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I really like your style.

Mine right now is...

#31 DeAndre Hopkins
#34 Jesse Williams
#61 Travis Kelce
#74 Duke Williams
I like DeAndre but I see him more of a complete, well rounded WR than an explosive deep threat which I would prefer. We already have a complete receiver in Crabtree, I don't know how well they would compliment each other but I definitely wouldn't be devestated if we end up with "NUKE".

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if anyone else saw this but very good read about our cap philosophy and insight on the future spending trends on players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...lity-rams-plan
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like we're content with letting all our FA's go, or at least test the market. I haven't heard of any kind of progress with any of our UFA's and we're not franchising Goldson. We haven't even tendered guys like Tramaine Brock or re-signed STers like Tavares Gooden or Darcel McBath. It seems like we've all but said our goodbyes with Moss.

Goldson and RJF are probably going to be valuable commodities. Sopoaga, Walker, Ginn, and Grant could be to some degree too.

I'm not too bummed about it though, we have a lot of draft picks and this is a good time to get some young, cheap players in the system for a year or 2 before we start paying a franchise QB top dollar. Most of the rookies we're drafting would just be backups or role players with the exception of possibly a S or NT

Also wouldn't be surprised if on March 12, we get news that we released Akers and possibly Haralson, alongside trading Alex.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like DeAndre but I see him more of a complete, well rounded WR than an explosive deep threat which I would prefer. We already have a complete receiver in Crabtree, I don't know how well they would compliment each other but I definitely wouldn't be devestated if we end up with "NUKE".
We just gotta pray AJ Jenkins develops into the explosive deep threat
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since you guys are an elite team with so many picks, I was wondering what your thoughts would be on a trade for Miles Austin? He is productive and might be the piece that puts you guys over the top.

I was wondering what you would be willing to trade for him, seeing as you have a ton of pics. Your squad is so talented it is highly unlikely you will be able to find many starters in the draft, I would imagine.

Any thoughts?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Since you guys are an elite team with so many picks, I was wondering what your thoughts would be on a trade for Miles Austin? He is productive and might be the piece that puts you guys over the top.

I was wondering what you would be willing to trade for him, seeing as you have a ton of pics. Your squad is so talented it is highly unlikely you will be able to find many starters in the draft, I would imagine.

Any thoughts?
How much money is he due? Unless he was an absolute bargain I can't see us even signing him as a FA let alone trading a pick for him. He's injury prone and not the deep threat that we are looking for. Austin doesn't bring anything to the table that Crabtree doesn't already do and we still have the option of bringing Manningham back if we choose.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me also say this. The main reason I brought this up is I thought he was a match made in heaven for you guys. The boys are going no where fast, but while Austin is big (6'3 215), he plays much smaller and faster than that. What I mean by that is he isn't the type to throw a fade to in the endzone, but you already have your guy for that. Austin can play second fiddle without causing a problem, has never been a trouble maker and seems to be the opposite of Crabtree on the field.

He is only 28, has been productive and seems like an all around likeable guy. The only downside I see to him is he does have a history of getting injured from time to time. But on a team like the Niners I think he might not be ran in the ground as often as he has been.

Just seemed like the place he should be to me.

As far as the money hit, I will have to do some research on that. The salary cap has always baffled me. For example-One day the Cowboys are $20 mill over the cap. Three days later, they are way under the cap due to restructuring contracts. They didn't even cut anyone! I have tried to understand it, but I just can't. But if I can find a concrete answer I will post it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 03-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I like Austin, but the guy can't stay healthy. No thanks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Any thoughts?
I would be shocked if the Niners traded for a player who commanded much salary, so long as Marathe & Baalke run things.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought about the Super Bowl again tonight and my jimmies were rustled.

48 more weeks until the next Super Bowl...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I would be shocked if the Niners traded for a player who commanded much salary, so long as Marathe & Baalke run things.
This. Just not the Baalke way. He'd rather sign a cheap vet like Moss than to fork over draft picks for a guy and have to pay him 3 times as much. Plus this isn't the Alex Smith era anymore. We have a QB capable of making plays downfield with his arm talent. Point blank, we can do more with less now. Our offense isn't why we aren't SB champions. Well it is to an extent but if the defense plays up to its capabilities for the most part, we win that game.

People should click that link to that ESPN article and read that peice I posted a few posts back. Its saying excatly what I've been noticing. Draft picks are commodities now. With the rookie wage scale, the draft is the perfect way for teams stay revelant on the cheap. You can't keep teams intact with the hard cap the NFL has. You have to pick and choose which guys you can spend money on. So you have to supplement that with cheap labor. Talented but cheap. Draft picks allow you to do that. Now the key is drafting well. There is no more middle class, in terms of free agents. There are high-priced guys and there are cheap vets. There really is no in betweeen. The draft is the way to get around the in between. But like I said, you have to keep drafting well in order to do this.

Austin is a talented guy. But trading for him doesn't fit with the way we handle personnel. We may trade a draft pick to move up and draft a guy we like but its not very Baalke-like to give away draft picks for vets. Vets who will always be available on the cheap, as long as there is a hard cap and teams are looking to shed salary.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-04-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Seems like we're content with letting all our FA's go, or at least test the market. I haven't heard of any kind of progress with any of our UFA's and we're not franchising Goldson. We haven't even tendered guys like Tramaine Brock or re-signed STers like Tavares Gooden or Darcel McBath. It seems like we've all but said our goodbyes with Moss.

Goldson and RJF are probably going to be valuable commodities. Sopoaga, Walker, Ginn, and Grant could be to some degree too.

I'm not too bummed about it though, we have a lot of draft picks and this is a good time to get some young, cheap players in the system for a year or 2 before we start paying a franchise QB top dollar. Most of the rookies we're drafting would just be backups or role players with the exception of possibly a S or NT

Also wouldn't be surprised if on March 12, we get news that we released Akers and possibly Haralson, alongside trading Alex.
Baalke usually lets his mid-level guys test the market. There have been some exceptions like Brooks, Boone, and Spillman. If he can get what he feels is fair market value for their services, he'll bite and sign them. But for the most part, he draws a line in the sand and if guys think they can fetch more money in the open market, he lets them try to acheive that.

I still say letting Goldson walk would be a mistake but its a mistake I'm willing to let Baalke make because he's been so clutch at every turn, I feel he wouldn't sacrifice the scheme. So whoever he replaced Goldson with would be able to do a decent job. I expect a guy like McBath to be tendered whether we bring Goldson back or not. Brock will be tendered as well. These are moves that don't have to made now so its not imperative we make them now. Gooden might be back but we still have Wilhoite and we signed Nate Stupar to contribute on STs so they are probably looked at as cheaper replacements. Grant is gone. He should receive a good amount of interest on the open market. Teams like the Bills, Giants, and Texans should be looking hard at him. I want RJF back but at the right price. If not, we can draft his replacement. Or look at a cheap vet. Cullen Jenkins is scheduled to visit our facilities Tuesday, after he meets with the Seahawks on Monday. There's always options.

I too expect Akers to be cut. I can see Baalke waiting to see how Johnson, Fleming, and any draft picks look at OLB before releasing Haralson. Wouldnt be suprise if Goodwin was a cap casualty as well. I don't expect it but it wouldn't suprise me either. Makes Baalke drafting my man crush that much more likely. But the draft will be a good way to supplement some depth.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good bye Akers and thank god!! Now ti is time to draft a kicker!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ly-to-cut-ties
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Good bye Akers and thank god!! Now ti is time to draft a kicker!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ly-to-cut-ties
Rookie kickers scare the hell out of me.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why? I've never noticed a correlation or trend between rookie kickers being substantially worse than veteran kickers. For me it doesn't matter. If a guy is a good kicker, he's a good kicker. Akers is almost 40 and he was disappointing this past season. Meanwhile Justin Tucker, a rookie, dominated for the Ravens.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 03-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The three best kickers in football last year were rookies.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Looks like Goldson is going to test the free agency market for sure. The 49ers aren't utilizing the franchise tag this year. Should be interesting how it plays out. I think some team will bite and hand him the deal is he looking for.

Quote:
COMMENTARY | The deadline for teams to place the franchise tag on players came and went on Monday. As expected, safety Dashon Goldson was not one of the players tagged by the San Francisco 49ers. In fact, no player was tagged by the team this offseason.

For the 49ers, there was essentially no need to use the franchise tag on any of their potential free agents. San Francisco would have had to pay Goldson $7.45 million if they tagged him for the second year in a row, and other candidates like Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois and Delanie Walker could be easily replaced or were simply not worth the tag.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dashon-...0006--nfl.html

Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldnt be surprised if the Rams go after Goldson as they could definitely use a safety. Dont want to see Goldson leave and still cant believe that Baalke decided to spend money on re-signing Rogers a year ago as opposed to letting him walk and using that money towards keeping Goldson. Oh well.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At least he will be in good shape and heath unlike the old one we've signed lately ugh. I would rather have a young kicker then old. Do it Jim draft is a stellar kicker!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if the Rams go after Goldson as they could definitely use a safety. Dont want to see Goldson leave and still cant believe that Baalke decided to spend money on re-signing Rogers a year ago as opposed to letting him walk and using that money towards keeping Goldson. Oh well.
Even though the reason Goldson hasn't been resigned is because he wants more than Baalke's price tag for him just like last time? And the Rodgers decision has nothing to do with this?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Its a numbers game. I knew when they extended Bowman instead of Goldson, it wasn't a good sign for him returning unless he backed off his 8 mil a year demand. And I knew Goldson and his agent wouldn't do that after him being named a All-Pro. I've already moved on. I don't expect to see him in a Niner uni again. Now they can move to re-signing RJF and vet in the secondary. I'm still hoping they go after McKelvin. I think he's going to be a steal once he gets out of Buffalo. Wouldn't be shocked if they thought about moving Cully to FS though I doubt it would be full time deal if they did. Just like in certain packages and personel. But I KNOW Baalke saw this coming. He's always been 3 steps ahead since he was named GM. They extended Spillman for a reason and it wasn't just for STs. They like him and he'll be given a opportunity to earn the spot at FS.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Even though the reason Goldson hasn't been resigned is because he wants more than Baalke's price tag for him just like last time? And the Rodgers decision has nothing to do with this?
Its about allocation, not the 8 mil. You can't pay Goldson, Willis, Bowman, and Rogers. If we would have let Rogers walked, I don't believe Baalke would be so hesitant about giving Goldson the 8 mil. 8 mil is top 6 safety money. Goldson is a top 5 safety. If Michael Huff and Michael Griffin can get more than 8 mil, I don't see what's wrong with Goldson asking for 8 mil. I have no problem with what he's asking and I really don't think Baalke does either really. Its the fact that you can't pay everyone and paying Bowman and Rogers was utlimately cheaper than extended a top 5 safety. Both those contracts individually, were less in total money than extended Goldson at market value would be.