Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always liked Cason, and would be happy if the Pats could get him. I have no idea what his $$ value would be though.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Gamble is another interesting player, since it seems increasingly likely he'll be cut in a cap move from the Panthers.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt New England would sign Gamble after the words exchanged between him and Belichick.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I doubt New England would sign Gamble after the words exchanged between him and Belichick.
Yeah I forgot about that. Dammit Bill why do you have to care about final scores so much!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So in the forum offseason, we re-signed Welker, Vollmer, Edelman, and Thomas, added Charles Woodson and Kaluka Maiava, and traded Ryan Mallett. Here's what we've done in the draft so far:

1. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee*
2. DE Sam Montgomery, Louisiana St.*
3. (Mallett trade) CB Tyrann Mathieu, Louisiana St.*
3. CB Will Davis, Utah St.

We also have an extra sixth-round pick from the Mallett trade and the two sevenths. What do you all think of how the offseason is progressing?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sort of skeptical on Hunter, I don't think he possess that break away speed to separate from DBs in this league. Not upset about going WR in the first however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So in the forum offseason, we re-signed Welker, Vollmer, Edelman, and Thomas, added Charles Woodson and Kaluka Maiava, and traded Ryan Mallett. Here's what we've done in the draft so far:

We also have an extra sixth-round pick from the Mallett trade and the two sevenths. What do you all think of how the offseason is progressing?
What I like:

1) The draft- I think you got solid talent at what I think our #1 need is in the first round. Montgomery is a good talent to grab at the end of the 2nd as well, and Mathieu solves our return problems which is legitimately a huge need, plus his ability to force fumbles will fit right in on our defense. People question his coverage ability, but I think he'll hang in there better than Arrington, so it's an upgrade IMO.

2) Value on Welker and Vollmer contracts- 2-14 and 4-20 are excellent values respectively. I'm not crazy about the prospect of resigning Welker, but a 2 year pact for 7 million per beats the crap out of some of the other receiver signings that took place.

What I didn't like:

1) Secondary Decisions- What I guess is the plan for next year is Charles Woodson at safety and sliding McCourty down to corner? To me this is a huge mistake. McCourty was pretty amazing at safety last season allowing something like a 10 QB rating after the switch. He's just a pretty mediocre corner IMO. Charles Woodson wasn't great at safety (freelanced too much) and is really declining. I think there was CB talent to be had that we missed out on.

2) Ryan Mallett trade- I know Brady is locked up, but essentially you turned Mallett into a 3rd and a handful of late round picks. To me the risk of turning to a talentless backup QB in the case of a Brady injury just isn't worth a few shots at finding a gem in the later rounds.

3) Waiting to release Lloyd. If you were going to do it, might as well do it right away. The opportunity cost may have hurt us trying to get a player. I know there is risk involved with Welker as a free agent, but that is 4.9 mil that is going to be hard to use now.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I'm sort of skeptical on Hunter, I don't think he possess that break away speed to separate from DBs in this league. Not upset about going WR in the first however.
Really? I think Hunter is plenty fast, I'm more worried about him snapping in half because he's a twig.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I have them with Hunter with the way the draft seems like it will go at this point (top 3 corners gone, top safeties gone).

I agree with trading Mallett. Hoyer and Cassel are both likely to be available, so relying on a "random QB" if something happens to Brady isn't something to worry about. Mallett's value is as a trade commodity now that Brady's been locked up for the foreseeable future.

I'm not against Montgomery. His stock has taken a Spikes-like fall. However, DE is pretty low on the list compared to S, CB, WR, and DT (not to say pass rushers aren't needed - they are). TJ McDonald, Swearinger, and Brandon Williams would have been stronger picks.

Not a fan of the Matthieu pick in the 3rd, but love the Will Davis selection. Would have been a fan of another WR in the third over Matthieu. Probably a nice opportunity to take a shot at Josh Boyce or Da'Rick Rogers.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And just to expand on the Mallett trade potential...

Interested teams would have to include:
Arizona
Oakland
Buffalo
NY Jets
Cleveland
Jacksonville

And other teams that may be interested:
Dallas
Tampa Bay

Probably exclude NYJ and possibly Buffalo as well, and you've got 4-6 teams interested in Mallett. It's quite possible to squeeze a 2nd rounder or at least an early 3rd and maybe a conditional pick in a following year.

They can accomplish some really good things in the draft with another pick in that range. I also wouldn't be opposed to trading back and out of the first round. This team needs a lot more picks this year. If they can squeeze another 2nd & 3rd from a team trying to get back into Round 1, that would be extra-baller.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would anyone be opposed to signing Moss for a one year Vet min deal? He wants to play for a contender, and while hes not the same player he was in 07, we still need a deep threat. Moss and Brady have chemistry, which may make up for his loss of speed. Idk, if we could sign him to the vet minimum and draft a Wr in the 1st, I'd be all for it.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Also, reports are the Pats and Welker are close to getting a deal done. If its a relatively inexpensive deal that allows us some room to make a move or two in FA, I'm all for it. Now get either Vollmer or Talib back and sign Ed Reed, and I think this could be an already successful off season for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

My thinking on the Mallett deal was that his contract expires before or at the same time as Brady's (depending on which contract we're going with), and he hasn't been a great fit in the system thus far, so the third and sixth were a good value, basically breaking even on the original pick. Another factor that influenced my decision was the feeling that Brady getting hurt or missing games would pretty much put an end to any championship run regardless of our backup, so without Mallett being able to potentially take over the starting role, he didn't have much value on the roster.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Also the secondary is as follows:

CB: Dowling/Davis, Dennard
SC: Mathieu
FS: McCourty
SS: Woodson
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
My thinking on the Mallett deal was that his contract expires before or at the same time as Brady's (depending on which contract we're going with), and he hasn't been a great fit in the system thus far, so the third and sixth were a good value, basically breaking even on the original pick. Another factor that influenced my decision was the feeling that Brady getting hurt or missing games would pretty much put an end to any championship run regardless of our backup, so without Mallett being able to potentially take over the starting role, he didn't have much value on the roster.
I just don't see why a 3rd and a 6th would force the Patriot's hand on this. They have Mallett signed for 2 more years. The Pats have a top 10ish roster sans Brady, and to me it would be unacceptable for them to tank a season if something (which is getting increasingly more likely) happens to their 36 year old QB. While Mallett isn't a great system fit you added Hunter, and with Gronk in the fold I think they could adapt to a more run first- take a few shots on the defense creeping up type offense very quickly.

Mallett is young and has franchise QB tools. Does it look like he'll never be the starter here? Sure. However, that to me is an asset to have on your bench, and I feel much more comfortable knowing if something happens to Brady, potentially someone can come in and bring something new to the table that is going to keep defenses on their heels.

Playing until someone is 40 is easier said than done, it appears Brady is going to try it, but literally anything could happen to him at a given moment that could prevent him from doing it. Now you're stuck with a QB situation equivalent to the Chiefs and Cardinals this past year. I'll take the security for 2 more years and risk Mallett walking for nothing, at least this way I don't have to see Hoyer or Cassel/ some noodle arm veteran trash this organization,

Now could Mallett suck the place out? Of course, but I'm a firm believer in him, and I think it's far less likely than if we go with just anyone as a backup QB. For a 3rd and a 6th they can keep their picks. If by the off chance Mallett plays well and Brady is able to come back then we'll get a kings ransom instead of picks we'd likely end up cutting in 3 years.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The term "doesn't fit the system" should be removed from our vernacular, anyway. The system changes based on personnel, when necessary. If that's the case with Mallett as the future QB, so be it. Either way, I don't think we've seen enough of him to have any answers at this point, one way or the other.

Keep him. He has franchise QB talent. We haven't heard a peep about him in the news so he's keeping his nose clean (literally?) and seems to be working hard (or at least not being lazy enough for us to hear about it.) Ultimately, if he never plays his value doesn't rise so much that he can't be extended after his original contract to eventually be Tom's replacement. When Brady's contract is up Mallett would 29 and still have good years ahead. When it comes down to it, I don't beleive for a second that Brady is the starter for more than 3 years here. His skills are already starting to slide and the slope gets steep heading to 40.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The term "doesn't fit the system" should be removed from our vernacular, anyway. The system changes based on personnel, when necessary. If that's the case with Mallett as the future QB, so be it. Either way, I don't think we've seen enough of him to have any answers at this point, one way or the other.

Keep him. He has franchise QB talent. We haven't heard a peep about him in the news so he's keeping his nose clean (literally?) and seems to be working hard (or at least not being lazy enough for us to hear about it.) Ultimately, if he never plays his value doesn't rise so much that he can't be extended after his original contract to eventually be Tom's replacement. When Brady's contract is up Mallett would 29 and still have good years ahead. When it comes down to it, I don't beleive for a second that Brady is the starter for more than 3 years here. His skills are already starting to slide and the slope gets steep heading to 40.
I really think the Pats have all the leverage in this thing. Mallett fell in large part to his off the field stuff, which appears to have gone away at this point. He also has two years of development. If some team comes in with a high 2 then I see them shipping him but anything less and I would be surprised. Mallett is a great insurance policy if something does happen to Brady. If he is still here when Brady hangs them up then the Pats won't need to shell out big money for him.

The other thing about it is the relative lack of talent in the QB class. If nobody likes the options around the second (and who would to be honest) then Mallett may very well get some offers

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I think the possibility of trading Mallett is a Patriot fan fiction. I don't see it happening.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with both posts. lol

I don't see him getting any interest, especially considering his fall in the draft and the recent lack of success for Brady Backups.

The teams that don't like the QBs in the second or third may make offers but I think the lack of tape/gameplay for Mallett simply makes him to much of an unknown. A conditional pick type of offer may get it done but there's too much value for him as Brady's backup. The same reason works both ways. Why trade him if you will be downgrading to some lousy QB prospect or calling Hoyer back in? (Though I still love Hoyer.)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-t...ulti-year-deal

Welker multi year deal in progress

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I'll reserve judgement until the numbers are out. Ultimately, I'm not thrilled with the idea of having him on the roster heading into a sharp decline.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Danario Alexander. I don't care about the first round tender.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
I want Danario Alexander. I don't care about the first round tender.
Soooooooooo risky for a guy that can't ever stay on the field.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has produced at a high level in college and the pros, he is just one of the more fragile players in the league. It's a shame because he is a really talented player. Just too much of a risk to take on a guy who is made of glass.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reports came out yesterday that welker was still mad at the coaching staff for being benched the first game of the year...... and now it's coming out that he has no intention of signing without testing the market first. guys, i think he's gone. some team is going to throw him the money and make him feel appreciated and needed...

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote