Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I saw Stephenson as more of a finesse player. I didn't see the strength and push to play at a high level on the right side. That said, he would probably be a more versatile on the right side, being that he's already better at pass pro than Winston, but I don't see a good fit there.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong here, just kinda what I saw in games.
1. Joeckel and Fisher both weighed in at the combine at 306lbs. Stephenson went into the combine at 312lbs (which he is listed at on the chiefs roster), and now will have had 1 yr of nfl condititioning.

2. Andy Reid throws alot. Pass protection takes on more importance than run blocking.

3. He has shown the ability to be more than a "finesse" player in the run game. example.
findthedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I already agreed that pass pro was more important to Reid, but that doesn't mean your RT can be deficient as a run blocker, which is what I believe Stephenson is right now.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling it's not going to be as easy as saying that since we cut Winston, we're drafting an OT. There are some RT options in FA. I wouldn't be shocked if this just boiled down to lack of pass pro skills. He was a nice run blocker, but you can't have a below-average pass protector in the WCO. These guys are making it interesting, that's for sure.
tjjohnson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs make a run at Jake Long to play RT either. Literally anything could happen at this point.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just going to stop trying to rationalize and understand what the Chiefs are going to do.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

I think the move with Winston probably has no effect at all on their draft plans. The fact that this is a very deep draft at the OT position, and a very deep free agent crop as well, probably dictated the move. They probably feel pretty good about being able to upgrade the position and save some money at the same time.
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs make a run at Jake Long to play RT either. Literally anything could happen at this point.
Agreed, the one thing that is obvious is that these guys have a plan and are executing that plan. The thing that bugged me most about Pioli (and King Carl) was that their giant egos and the fact that they fancied themselves such shrewd negotiators got in the way of some good decision-making. I can at least respect that Dorsey and Reid legitimately seem to have a plan and are moving forward.

Another thing with Winston is that he's pretty much a ZBS guy. I think the rest of the OL is a bit more versatile and can fit in a power scheme a little better. Just a thought.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winston has to have an injury.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Save yourself some time and purchase a Joeckel jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andy Reid is an idiot when it comes to the OL. I was kind of worried about this, but never thought they'd cut Winston. They couldn't just leave a good situation alone. Winston had a down year, but it was still better than all but a few RTs in the NFL.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch Andy trade Albert for a third rounder now and REALLY confuse the **** out of us.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I dunno, there is a rumor gathering steam that the Chiefs are shopping Tamba, so **** me.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dunno, there is a rumor gathering steam that the Chiefs are shopping Tamba, so **** me.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
ChiefMojo
Rookie

ChiefMojo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Actually the talk isn't so much the Chiefs are shopping Tamba in general, it is more they could shop him if he doesn't restructure his contract in time when/if they ask. His cap hit is huge in the $15 million range (even though KC is doing well in the cap department now) and he would probably be the first player they turn to if they need relief. It would be similar to what the Broncos are dealing with in Elvis Dumerville right now (but that is not a restructure of cap but more so pure money).

I don't mind the Winston cut to be honest. Supposedly there is a injury concern to top things off. Secondly he gives KC more cap space and also they can upgrade in the pass blocking department. Could come in the FA market or they may just have someone like Stephenson start at RT.
ChiefMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Winston had a down year
Profootballfocus rated him as the best player on the Chiefs offense last year.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

Reid is too old to start a rebuild project. Why did they hire him?
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 AM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael View Post
Reid is too old to start a rebuild project. Why did they hire him?
Reid is turning 55 this month. I don't see why that's too old, with a guy like Tom Coughlin being 66. With the core talent the Chiefs have, there is no reason they shouldn't be competing for the playoffs within a couple of years. I think the age of some of our stars will be the bigger concern in the 3-5 year range. Don't think we're a full rebuild job though anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjohnson98 View Post
Reid is turning 55 this month. I don't see why that's too old, with a guy like Tom Coughlin being 66. With the core talent the Chiefs have, there is no reason they shouldn't be competing for the playoffs within a couple of years. I think the age of some of our stars will be the bigger concern in the 3-5 year range. Don't think we're a full rebuild job though anyway.
Look at Coughlin and Reid side by side. There's one obvious difference with the two that make it so its highly doubtful Reid is still coaching at 66. Reid will be lucky to be alive at that age if he doesn't have a Rex Ryan like weight loss
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Look at Coughlin and Reid side by side. There's one obvious difference with the two that make it so its highly doubtful Reid is still coaching at 66. Reid will be lucky to be alive at that age if he doesn't have a Rex Ryan like weight loss
Point taken, but my main point was that if a rebuild (which KC doesn't need a full one) takes even more than 4 years, those guys will be long gone anyway. Romeo wasn't exactly Mr. Universe and he was coaching the team last year at 65, so I'm not trying to predict how long anyone is going to live. The point is, patience isn't going to last anywhere near that long. If KC is still in the toilet in three years, Clark Hunt is probably going to be looking in a different direction anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Winston's release changes anything when it comes to the first overall pick. If Albert is in their long term plans, they're not going to draft a right tackle first overall. A player like Jordan Mills can be taken the third or fourth round and be their right tackle for the next decade.

Winston's release is likely to gain more cap flexibility when it comes to free agency and the potential pursuit of another starting corner or an inside backer to place next to DJ.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Funny you should say that V. One of the morning sports guys here in KC mentioned Jake Long this morning. Now, this is all rumor coming from a sports show host. So take with a grain of salt. He said that he's heard the Chiefs are really high on Jake Long since he'll be a UFA next week. And that there may be a chance that the Chiefs sign Jake Long and trade Branden Albert to Chicago. Again, that's just a rumor from one of the morning sports hosts here in KC. So take it for what it's worth.

I'm not sure I see Jake Long signing here to be a RT considering he's asking for near $11 million per year. If the Chiefs do go after him, again this is rumor, he'd probably be signing and playing at LT and Branden Albert is sent elsewhere.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andy Reid - Trolling Level : Expert

Quit trolling the mock drafters Andy.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can't imagine Long would play RT, similar to Albert, he will want LT money (and get it,) so RT out of the question for him. Kane's scenario above could make sense, and I have to think the Chiefs will shop Albert around if they do like one of the OTs

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bottom line Brandon Albert is on a 1 year deal. Eugene Monroe is on the last year of his rookie contract. Joeckel 1, Fisher 2 (or vice versa).

the 2 tackles are the cleanest blue chips. They may not be the most exciting picks but they are the least likely to get you fired.

and btw Donald Stephenson is not reasons to avoid OL in 1. he's a developmental player who probably won't develop. and if he does maybe it's as a RT 2 years from now.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Last edited by bitonti : 03-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.
bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
bottom line Brandon Albert is on a 1 year deal. Eugene Monroe is on the last year of his rookie contract. Joeckel 1, Fisher 2 (or vice versa).

the 2 tackles are the cleanest blue chips. They may not be the most exciting picks but they are the least likely to get you fired.

and btw Donald Stephenson is not reasons to avoid OL in 1. he's a developmental player who probably won't develop. and if he does maybe it's as a RT 2 years from now.
it's about adding wins to the team. Letting Albert or Winston go only to turn around and use that pick to replace them doesn't add wins (nor does it make much sense). If it does it's not many. Even if Joeckel/Fisher have higher ceilings (which is a projection and speculation). You don't make your team better by creating holes on your team and then using a super high draft resource to fill that hole. You just don't. I don't care what the BPA is. I don't care what Joeckel/Fisher project as. With the holes on this team, they cannot afford to make problems for themselves. No, Eric Winston and Branden Albert aren't revolutionizing the tackle positions. But they are/were fine tackles. The Chiefs have enough problems elsewhere.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote