Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs have released RT Eric Winston

Is he an option at RT if he was cheap enough?

from memory his deal last year wasn't that large

Quote:
from rotoworld.com

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.

The move is surprising, but makes sense if the Chiefs follow through on drafting an offensive tackle at the No. 1 overall pick. Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract last offseason and graded out as top-nine right tackle in Pro Football Focus' 2012 ratings. The move saves $3.5 million in cap space. Winston will have plenty of options on the open market, attracting particular interest from zone-blocking teams. A reunion with the Texans would make a ton of sense after their 2012 right-tackle struggles. Miami, St. Louis, Baltimore, Washington, and Detroit all showed interest in Winston last offseason. Look for Kansas City to select Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher if they can't trade out of the draft's top pick. Mar 6 - 8:20 PM
Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm very interested in Winston. I feel like something has to be up though considering he has played well but has now been released twice in two years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

giants have shown interest in Charles Woodson. Do want. But at the right price
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For S? I don't really like it. Could mean they feel like Phillips is walking though. Is Woodson really any better than Rolle, Hill, or Brown though at this point? I guess it would be decent depth move if he comes really cheap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baas and webster restructure and paycut.

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 03-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baas is more of a Restructure, websters seems to he a pay cut. Love to see that. I didn't wanna cut Corey outright so I'm very happy
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Awesome job by Corey!!! I still wanted him around this year and I think he bounces back and shows some more life. I think he had a nagging injury this year that hurt his game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Info on the reworked deals of Baas and Webster

Quote:
Corey Webster takes a pay cut to stay with the Giants
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 7, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
New York Giants v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

Cornerback Corey Webster was a candidate to get cut as the Giants try to clear salary-cap space, but Webster has agreed to take a pay cut instead.

Webster, who was due a $7.25 million base salary in 2013, the final year of his current contract, has instead agreed to take a base salary of $4 million, Kimberly Jones of NFL Network reports.

Although he started all 16 games last season, Webster had a disappointing year, and there was talk in New York that the team would decide he wasn’t worth a roster spot. Accepting a pay cut of $3.25 million changes that calculus.

Giants center David Baas has also agreed to restructure his contract, lowering his base salary from $4.25 million to $1.25 million, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports. But Baas has simply converted some of his salary to a signing bonus, meaning he’ll get the same amount of money this year but the Giants can count less of it against their salary cap.

The two moves have the Giants about $9 million under the salary cap, five days before the start of free agency.

from http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...th-the-giants/
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Awesome job by Corey!!! I still wanted him around this year and I think he bounces back and shows some more life. I think he had a nagging injury this year that hurt his game.
I actually think this is a very fair deal for all parties, good to see.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm very interested in Winston. I feel like something has to be up though considering he has played well but has now been released twice in two years.
I just think the Chiefs want to go with Albert and Joeckel
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winston would be so awesome, McKenzie like signing, but the FA I really want is Levitre.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

honestly, a big name signing ala Winston or Levitre on the OL to not be just a stop gap would be awesome and let us focus so heavy on D in the draft

but we need to lock up cruz/nicks and JPP
Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I saw a report on kffl.com that the talks with Boothe are ongoing and have been positive.

If Boothe can be resigned for a reasonable price, our Oline is starting to look fairly solid.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

We resigned Justin Trattou.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

It looks like no deal will be done with Chase Blackburn and that he will hit the open market. No surprise, he may want to see what he can get on the open market, I expect we offered close to vet minimum.

Martellus Bennett is still talking with the front office about a deal. This is a good sign, they are probably in the same ballpark. There is a chance that a deal gets done before march 12. Bennett probably realises that being here is probably his best situation, just depends on the money.

The other interesting fact is that we haven't put the RFA tenders on Victor Cruz. The front office is probably trying to get the deal done; but if it can't the 1st round RFA tender is all but certain.

The Giants are one of four teams (with Seahawks, Dolphins and Jets) that have reportedly been in touch with the agent for Charles Woodson.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-07-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
honestly, a big name signing ala Winston or Levitre on the OL to not be just a stop gap would be awesome and let us focus so heavy on D in the draft

but we need to lock up cruz/nicks and JPP
I would rather have Martellus Bennett than either to be honest.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Eric Winston's previous deal averaged $5.5m a year (4 year, $22m), which is reasonable and in the similar ball park to what we pay vets like Snee and Baas.

Will Beatty's latest deal (alot more money) costs $3.5m against the cap.

Dave Diehl frees up his $4,475,000 base salary if he is released.

It seems to me that going after Eric Winston is a very realistic option
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see if Brewer can take over. Also, let's see how the draft unfolds. I know by then Winston would be gone, but I'd save that money and use it for Cruz if possible.

Quote:
"Teams are lining up to make Victor Cruz an offer."

If he and the Giants can't agree on a new contract, and the Giants tag him. No link. Just heard Ian Rappaport say it on Total Access. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I wonder what we're going to do with 2 first round picks.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I was just looking into the possible numbers around Winston to see if it makes sense. It is something that we could consider. We could likely sign Winston with the room we save if we were to cut Diehl.

Cruz will almost certainly get the rfa tender at least.

But the current cap room we have should be enough for Cruz if we can get a long term deal done. It really depends how close both sides are on $$s
Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

If we tender everyone then pretty much all of our cap space is gone for this year. I don't see how we're going to sign anyone big unless we do a lot more wheeling and dealing.

sig by BoneKrusher
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Oh, Yeah I forgot about David D. However, by signing Winston, what do we do with our developmental guys? If they feel Brewer can compete to start then let him try. Then, this draft class is deep at OL. So again, that's another shot to fill that hole. Sure, Winston is a good OT, and I been a fan of him since his UM days. But if we do sign him, I wonder if we let Brewer compete. And if an OT falls to us like Fluker, would we draft him?
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
With Cruz, that is the worst case scenario, but I think we are still solid.

two first round picks would become interesting.

There are quite a lot of teams reportedly very interested in Mike Wallace.

With Dwayne Bowe off the market, Cruz's value goes up.

If Cruz wants a similar type of deal to Bowe, then we can't afford it.
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Depends on who is the team that wants him. We have a lot options due to depth of this draft I feel. OT,OG,DE,DT,CB, and even S.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Depends on who is the team that wants him. We have a lot options due to depth of this draft I feel. OT,OG,DE,DT,CB, and even S.
I would throw WR in there as well. Nicks/Randle isn't enough.

sig by BoneKrusher