Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I don't think Winston's release changes anything when it comes to the first overall pick. If Albert is in their long term plans, they're not going to draft a right tackle first overall. A player like Jordan Mills can be taken the third or fourth round and be their right tackle for the next decade.

Winston's release is likely to gain more cap flexibility when it comes to free agency and the potential pursuit of another starting corner or an inside backer to place next to DJ.
So who are they drafting?
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
it's about adding wins to the team. Letting Albert or Winston go only to turn around and use that pick to replace them doesn't add wins (nor does it make much sense). If it does it's not many. Even if Joeckel/Fisher have higher ceilings (which is a projection and speculation). You don't make your team better by creating holes on your team and then using a super high draft resource to fill that hole. You just don't. I don't care what the BPA is. I don't care what Joeckel/Fisher project as. With the holes on this team, they cannot afford to make problems for themselves. No, Eric Winston and Branden Albert aren't revolutionizing the tackle positions. But they are/were fine tackles. The Chiefs have enough problems elsewhere.
i agree with most of that but what are the alternatives? Take a corner at 1 for the first time ever? take a 4-3 DT with 4 career sacks and 31 inch arms to play in your 3-4? Take the QB who most folks have graded out as a late 1? Take a 240 pound converted WR defensive end? The Chiefs have several not great options this year, the tackles are the best of several not great options. It's a down year for super elite talent. if this were last year they take Luck and it's a no brainer.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

It's going to be Floyd or Star.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
i agree with most of that but what are the alternatives? Take a corner at 1 for the first time ever? take a 4-3 DT with 4 career sacks and 31 inch arms to play in your 3-4? Take the QB who most folks have graded out as a late 1? Take a 240 pound converted WR defensive end? The Chiefs have several not great options this year, the tackles are the best of several not great options. It's a down year for super elite talent. if this were last year they take Luck and it's a no brainer.
Pretty sure Florida has run multiple fronts in Floyd's time there, so he probably has experience as a 5-tech, not 100% on that though.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
It's going to be Floyd or Star.
i'd bet real money it's neither of those guys. Star probably has an enlarged heart and Floyd is basically Glenn Dorsey (with 10 less career sacks).

Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Star probably has an enlarged heart? wut?

At this point the pick should be Star, but a lot can happen in free agency, so who the hell knows. Maybe the Chiefs have been targeting Andre Smith the entire time.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, you should not pick Star. We should. Go draft an offensive tackle to fix your non-problem.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
No, you should not pick Star. We should. Go draft an offensive tackle to fix your non-problem.
You should have lost more games sir.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
You should have lost more games sir.
We lost to you. If we use the transitive property, we are worse than you. Give us the number one pick god dammit!

But if you are impervious to this logic, I guess we can spare Jimmy Clausen, your true savior, if you're willing to swap firsts. Seems reasonable to me.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because it's a down year with no super elite talent, all the more reason to be more flexible with the normal rules of drafting. I keep saying, this year, given the Chiefs situation, conventional wisdom may have to be bent. Just because a corner has never gone #1 overall shouldn't automatically rule it out. Especially just because it's never been done before. Not doing something because it's never been done before shouldn't stop you from doing something. Especially if the potential exists to fix an issue that makes you better.

I know they are probably going to pick Joeckel or Fisher. Especially if they stay at that pick. I just don't think that's the best move (well it may be now since they have a hole at RT now). If I had that pick and couldn't move off of it I'd be looking to add something I didn't have that fit what I was trying to do schematically in an effort to solve a weakness (I wouldn't have cut Eric Winston). The Chiefs didn't have a weakness at tackle 24 hours ago. Of course, now they do. I wouldn't have ruled out Milliner. Nor would I have ruled out Patterson if he's one of the top 10 players on Dorsey's board. QBs I'm a little more flexible. Because, for me, if I see a guy in the draft that I think can be a good starting QB for 10+ years, I'd reach a bit more than normal. Just because of the importance of that position. Now that doesn't mean I'd take a 2nd round QB high in the 1st just because....But we know this is a QB driven league. And if you dont have a QB that can make plays and win games for you, the more difficult it is to have long term success. Joe Flacco would have been a major reach for the Chiefs 5 years go had they taken him at 5 instead of Glenn Dorsey. Right?
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
bottom line Brandon Albert is on a 1 year deal. Eugene Monroe is on the last year of his rookie contract. Joeckel 1, Fisher 2 (or vice versa).

the 2 tackles are the cleanest blue chips. They may not be the most exciting picks but they are the least likely to get you fired.

and btw Donald Stephenson is not reasons to avoid OL in 1. he's a developmental player who probably won't develop. and if he does maybe it's as a RT 2 years from now.
Sounds about right. So of the two who would be a better RT, Joeckel or Fisher. I guess you could throw Albert into that mix too.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think anyone is going to bash the Chiefs too hard no matter who they take at 1/1.

There's no Luck/Peppers/AD/Megatron/Sean Taylor/Suh in this draft, so there's more latitude for the Chiefs to draft the one prospect they think will help short and long term.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I don't think anyone is going to bash the Chiefs too hard no matter who they take at 1/1.

There's no Luck/Peppers/AD/Megatron/Sean Taylor/Suh in this draft, so there's more latitude for the Chiefs to draft the one prospect they think will help short and long term.
That's basically all I'm getting at.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
So who are they drafting?
If they hold onto Albert I think the pick will be Star, assuming the medicals check out, or Milliner, if they don't sign a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Pretty sure Florida has run multiple fronts in Floyd's time there, so he probably has experience as a 5-tech, not 100% on that though.
Florida had Floyd at the 5-tech in 2011 and it restricted his ability to make plays.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

If they lock up Albert long term, which I think they will, the pick SHOULD be Star.

But I have absolutely no god damn idea what they're going to do anymore, so it could literally be anything.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I kind of hope the Chiefs make an actual play for Andre Smith now. For some reason I really don't see it happening though.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
If they lock up Albert long term, which I think they will, the pick SHOULD be Star.
when a prospect is red-flagged at the combine and told he can't workout, that's a big problem. The agent's explanation is somewhat flimsy and Star's stock is falling (now 12 on Kiper's big board). All that... coupled with the fact that his impact production is low (6 career sacks)... means Star is unlikely to go 1 overall... or top 10. He could fall out of the round, depending on how his workouts at Utah go.

on a side note the combine may have saved this player's life. Instead of rushing to workout and pretending everything is great the player should take a step back and get some real medical attention. Like the attention he got at Indy. Not the Dr. Nick Riviera type attention that he got back in Utah. The Indy team doctors are some of the strongest sports-medical minds in the nation, if they say there's a problem, there's a problem.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Taking Floyd makes absolutely zero sense for the Chiefs. None. We already had one Glenn Dorsey, we don't need another.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The moment you think you know what the Chiefs are doing they do that. I don't know what the hell is happening.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I kind of hope the Chiefs make an actual play for Andre Smith now. For some reason I really don't see it happening though.
I think free agency could be very kind to the Chiefs. There are a lot of decent options for #2 CBs and RTs, some higher priced than others. I'd love to see Ellerbe in a Chiefs uniform too, but think he will cost too much also.
tjjohnson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Even if he has experience as a 5-tech it means nothing with those tiny arms of his.

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
Even if he has experience as a 5-tech it means nothing with those tiny arms of his.
Greg Cosell disagreed with this. I don't know if I would take him at 1 but I think he's he front runner. This regime wont make moves based on the past regime's mistake. Floyd can play 5 and there will plenty of opportunities to rush the passer on 3rd down.

I think it's way more likely they take Floys than Dtar.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There wasn't any real "mistake" with playing Dorsey at the 5-tech. They were just kind of stuck with him and he was the best option. He was actually really good at it his second year (like really good), but regressed in 2011 and 2012.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Greg Cosell disagreed with this. I don't know if I would take him at 1 but I think he's he front runner. This regime wont make moves based on the past regime's mistake. Floyd can play 5 and there will plenty of opportunities to rush the passer on 3rd down.

I think it's way more likely they take Floys than Dtar.
Cosell also compared him to JJ Watt...haha I think not

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
Yikes! The guy is 6'3" and has 31 3/4" arms. I'm 5'10" and my arms are longer than that. I don't care what Cosell says, that's a problem.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote