Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I would throw WR in there as well. Nicks/Randle isn't enough.
I wondered about Tavon Austin in the 1st round. That speed would be great if he ever got the mental part of our offense down. That could be a huge asset especially watching guys like Wallace and those Ravens WRs.

Also very true, considering Nicks can't stay healthy. If he goes down, who plays X? R.R.? If so, then who plays Y? I guess depth is an issue since barden, and Hixon are UFA. I guess we do need to add more guys.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I wondered about Tavon Austin in the 1st round. That speed would be great if he ever got the mental part of our offense down. That could be a huge asset especially watching guys like Wallace and those Ravens WRs.

Also very true, considering Nicks can't stay healthy. If he goes down, who plays X? R.R.? If so, then who plays Y? I guess depth is an issue since barden, and Hixon are UFA. I guess we do need to add more guys.
Huge fan of Tavon Austin but I don't think he's a good fit for us. We would never use him the right way.

If Cruz really is gone we for sure need another WR for 2013 whether it's high draft pick or FA.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huge fan of Tavon Austin but I don't think he's a good fit for us. We would never use him the right way.

If Cruz really is gone we for sure need another WR for 2013 whether it's high draft pick or FA.
Hehehe, Yeah that would be terrible. Draft a guy with insane speed, but in our system run 4.30 running the wrong route, lol. I can see that happen!

Yeah but I realized our depth stinks. I forgot that Barden and Hixon are gone. If Cruz goes, that's 3 WRs in our system.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw in the "redshirt" year our WR's need to learn our system and we'd really be behind the 8 ball.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, Yeah I forgot about David D. However, by signing Winston, what do we do with our developmental guys? If they feel Brewer can compete to start then let him try. Then, this draft class is deep at OL. So again, that's another shot to fill that hole. Sure, Winston is a good OT, and I been a fan of him since his UM days. But if we do sign him, I wonder if we let Brewer compete. And if an OT falls to us like Fluker, would we draft him?
As always there would be competition. I like Brewer as the swing guy, he could also work into the blocking TE role that we have used Seubert and Diehl in the past.

We don't have a lot of depth at OT

If Brewer is good enough, he will get on the field; but he has to earn the right. I don't want him handed the job by default. I am not sure Brewer is ready.

To me it comes back to ensuring we get the best Oline play, regardless of whos on the field.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Throw in the "redshirt" year our WR's need to learn our system and we'd really be behind the 8 ball.
That's part of our system I can't stand. You develop and get it in their heads, and then when they leave you pray their backups know it well. If not, and you have to sign or draft a player, then your hoping they process the information that much quicker.

We would have turnover at the TE position, and if Cruz leaves, 3 WRs. I like Austin but I wonder how smart he is. The other WR before him some say is a top 10 pick, but raw. That worries me because if he is raw in general, then our system would PHd material.

Quote:
As always there would be competition. I like Brewer as the swing guy, he could also work into the blocking TE role that we have used Seubert and Diehl in the past.

We don't have a lot of depth at OT

If Brewer is good enough, he will get on the field; but he has to earn the right. I don't want him handed the job by default. I am not sure Brewer is ready.

To me it comes back to ensuring we get the best Oline play, regardless of whos on the field.
Brewer can very well not be ready. That's a different story then. Then Winston would fit and we can cut D.D. But what happens if we draft a OT then. Do they get covered by Winston? Either way I guess, but I'd like to draft an OT if possible. Meanwhile, let he developmental guys develop as depth or possibly starting material, if that's possible.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah but I realized our depth stinks. I forgot that Barden and Hixon are gone. If Cruz goes, that's 3 WRs in our system.
I expect Hixon will be back, we do have Jernigan, with opportunity he could emerge.

Don't write of young guys like Collins, DePalma etc, someone can emerge from there, after all thats where Cruz started.

There is plenty of good WR depth in the draft and free agency.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Brewer can very well not be ready. That's a different story then. Then Winston would fit and we can cut D.D. But what happens if we draft a OT then. Do they get covered by Winston? Either way I guess, but I'd like to draft an OT if possible. Meanwhile, let he developmental guys develop as depth or possibly starting material, if that's possible.
The draft happens after free agency.

Also remember Reese's philosophy, plug holes in free agency and build for the future in the draft.

We could still draft an OT if that was the best player available; it just isn't a critical need. Most rookie online take time to develop. We do need to consider replacing Snee and Baas in a couple years, I could see us looking at a quality interior guy.

I think we could be seriously looking at Barrett Jones. He needs to get stronger, but his versatility is a huge plus for us.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I expect Hixon will be back, we do have Jernigan, with opportunity he could emerge.

Don't write of young guys like Collins, DePalma etc, someone can emerge from there, after all thats where Cruz started.

There is plenty of good WR depth in the draft and free agency.
I don't want Hixon back. I want to get cheaper, younger, and healthier. Collins is the guy I forgot. Let's see what he can do. JJ has to produce now. If he can't then, we need to stop wasting those picks on WRs AND developmental OL. That's starting to bother me.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
The draft happens after free agency.

Also remember Reese's philosophy, plug holes in free agency and build for the future in the draft.

We could still draft an OT if that was the best player available; it just isn't a critical need. Most rookie online take time to develop. We do need to consider replacing Snee and Baas in a couple years, I could see us looking at a quality interior guy.

I think we could be seriously looking at Barrett Jones. He needs to get stronger, but his versatility is a huge plus for us.
Yeah, Barrett Jones would be very good! He could battle for LG, and when China Doll Baas gets hurt again, he can play center and take his spot. That would be cool to see.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't want Hixon back. I want to get cheaper, younger, and healthier. Collins is the guy I forgot. Let's see what he can do. JJ has to produce now. If he can't then, we need to stop wasting those picks on WRs AND developmental OL. That's starting to bother me.
What we do with OL developmental picks is the same as we have done with LB in the past.

WRs we tend to draft earlier, so that could be on the cards. I would even be ok with someone like Cordarelle Patterson at 19.

If the contract numbers that Cruz wants are too high, then if he is back on a 1 year $3m RFA tender, he won't be back the year after. Seems to me like an opportunity to groom the next guy while they complete for playing time with JJ and the others.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
What we do with OL developmental picks is the same as we have done with LB in the past.

WRs we tend to draft earlier, so that could be on the cards. I would even be ok with someone like Cordarelle Patterson at 19.

If the contract numbers that Cruz wants are too high, then if he is back on a 1 year $3m RFA tender, he won't be back the year after. Seems to me like an opportunity to groom the next guy while they complete for playing time with JJ and the others.
I'd rather use that pick this year and roll the dice with Lattimore. I want to see if he can come back like Willis M. did when he got hurt against OSU. C. Patterson is the raw guy Mike M. was saying. If he is raw in general, then in our system it might be even harder because now you have to run all the routes AND get the mental part in terms of sight adjustments.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah, Barrett Jones would be very good! He could battle for LG, and when China Doll Baas gets hurt again, he can play center and take his spot. That would be cool to see.
Jones is one of the Oline I really like. I think he is under rated. He is in the second round mix in my opinion.

Even if Boothe is resigned, he is 30. So bringing in Jones to develop behind all three makes a lot of sense.
If Boothe is back, it won't be a huge contract, so Jones could compete with him for playing time without too much problem.

In fact the more I think on it, the more I like the idea of signing Winston/cut Diehl, resigning Boothe (if cheap) and drafting Jones.

that gives us something like

RT: Winston, Mosley
RG: Snee, Capers
C: Baas, Cordle
LG: Boothe, Jones
LT: Beatty, Brewer, McCants
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd rather use that pick this year and roll the dice with Lattimore. I want to see if he can come back like Willis M. did when he got hurt against OSU. C. Patterson is the raw guy Mike M. was saying. If he is raw in general, then in our system it might be even harder because now you have to run all the routes AND get the mental part in terms of sight adjustments.
I am open to seeing how it shakes up; I don't see us chasing Lattimore before the 4th, we have bigger needs elsewhere, such as LB and there will be good LB talent on the board.

I also think we are fairly happy with our RB depth with Wilson, Brown and Scott. Sure we will likely add either a cheap free agent or late round pick. Don't get me wrong, I like Lattimore. But there is a lot of depth and talent in this year's RB class, I think Lattimore will be available in the 4th if we want to go that way.

I just think we will have talent at our other need positions available as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tommy C killed it tonight on the Daily Show tonight.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

according to Ralph Vacchiano, RB Steven Jackson is interested in joining NYG

Quote:
from http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-gi...source=twitter

What does free-agent RB Steven Jackson think about the possibility of signing with the Giants? "The Giants are ...

... a great, great organization and I was a part of the draft class with Eli Manning so I definitely have been following his career for quite some time now," Jackson said earlier today on @SiriusXMNFL's Movin' the Chains. "They have a great young runner. If they are interested I sure would listen.Ē

And what about the fact that he might have to split time in the backfield, as he would with the Giants because of the presence of David Wilson?

"Well, thatís where a very open dialogue has to take place," Jackson said. "Iíve opted out of my position of being with the (Rams) and being comfortable because I want to continue to still be the bell cow. So thatís how I want teams to look at me. Thatís how Iím going to shop myself and weíll cross that bridge when we get there if thatís not the feedback that weíre receiving.Ē
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

From the Twitter:

Quote:
Ralph Vacchiano & #8207;@RVacchianoNYDN

New details on Corey Webster's contract: Salary was cut from $7M to $1.25M. He also got a signing bonus ($2.5M) and a voidable year added...

Bottom line: Giants cleared $4.5 million in cap space -- or $1.5 million more than we thought they had cleared yesterday. #NYG

So, if my math is right, I've now got them about $10.5 million under the $123 million salary cap. #NYG

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why is everyone so pessimistic about the giants bringing back Cruz?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
why is everyone so pessimistic about the giants bringing back Cruz?
If the rumors are true, then teams have interest in Cruz. We are not closer to a contract with him. And the logical thing is tag him, and let him play out this contract and try throughout the season and see what happens. However, like I said, if the rumors are true.. and that's a big IF, then teams want him, and are willing to pay the price even with him tagged.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is a decent article about Cruz situation

Quote:
From http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000148792/

1. RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY WON'T BE LAME

At this point, it's almost a foregone conclusion: Teams assign their own players with restricted free-agent tenders ... and then nothing happens. Could this year be different? Arizona Cardinals quarterback Brian Hoyer is still a restricted free agent on a technicality, and he could garner some interest. If he's tendered at a second-round level, that might be an investment worth making. But Victor Cruz is the most interesting. The New York Giants slot receiver almost certainly will receive a first-round tender if the team can't work out a long-term deal with him. And from what I hear, there is already a ton of interest and plenty of teams just waiting for their opening. Yes, it's tough to gauge a market on slot guys like Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and Cruz -- especially in systems that so clearly benefit them. But there is enough interest in Cruz to make me think this could be the year someone bites on an RFA. And if no one takes the plunge on Cruz? Then it might be time to wonder how effective this system really is.
One thing to remember is that we could have locked up Cruz for a year with the franchise tag, we didn't elect to do that and the top contract are significantly more than the franchise number cap wise.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

If no one goes after Cruz, and let's say this rumor is false, then i agree. I wonder if they would just get rid of RFA. It would be a waste because no one really pays picks for those players. Let's see if teams really do pony up for Cruz. I would take a Rams or Dolphins pick if they are interested.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big blue view have an article speculating on the top 5 teams that could make a play for Cruz
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/3/8/...ork-giants-rfa

These teams all make a lot if sense, there will be others as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Big blue view have an article speculating on the top 5 teams that could make a play for Cruz
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/3/8/...ork-giants-rfa

These teams all make a lot if sense, there will be others as well.
All playoff teams so later 1st. I was hoping teams like the Rams, Bucs, or Dolphins would take a look at him. I'd like to keep Cruz. He and Nicks would be great in the future. However, paying him is the issue, and by re-signing him, who would we lose in the future? Would it cost us Nicks or JPP or both? Who is more valuable to us Cruz or JPP? If re-signing Cruz means losing JPP down the road is it worth it? Basically, can we re-sign all 3 guys, Cruz, Nicks AND JPP?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
All playoff teams so later 1st. I was hoping teams like the Rams, Bucs, or Dolphins would take a look at him. I'd like to keep Cruz. He and Nicks would be great in the future. However, paying him is the issue, and by re-signing him, who would we lose in the future? Would it cost us Nicks or JPP or both? Who is more valuable to us Cruz or JPP? If re-signing Cruz means losing JPP down the road is it worth it? Basically, can we re-sign all 3 guys, Cruz, Nicks AND JPP?
I could see other teams interested, particularly Miami and the Bucs. It is worth noting that Miami has a ton of $$ to spend.

I wouldn't rule out the Jets either, particularly if they end up cutting Holmes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

With the money the top WR are getting, I doubt Cruz will be back.

With Bowe's deal, there are a lot of teams wanting a stud WR and not many available

These deal that Cruz will likely get will average around the WR franchise of $10,537,000, which is alot more than we can afford.

It makes more sense to me to invest in a couple of other positions and retool.

If Cruz was to leave, we could look at cheaper FA options like Ted Ginn Jr or Brandon Gibson. Once they pick up the system, Eli can get the best out of them.