Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Phillips can be had for around 5 a year. I would be cool with that. His versatility might entice some incentives that could drive to 6-6.5 which would work also. Plus he could transition to SS if we draft the future at FS this year, so when Whitner's contract is up he could slide over to his spot and let the young guy ease into the centerfielder role.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Phillips but if we pay him 6.5 then why not Goldson @ 8.0? I'd rather keep our guy for a little more. Hopefully we can get Goldson to sign for 6.5-7.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
I like Phillips but if we pay him 6.5 then why not Goldson @ 8.0? I'd rather keep our guy for a little more. Hopefully we can get Goldson to sign for 6.5-7.....
That's not going to happen. The deal would have been done already if Goldson wanted 6.5, seriously? He wants top 5 safety money. That's 8 mil per. Somebody will give it to him. It just won't be Baalke. If I had to guess right now, I'd say Tampa Bay might be the ideal landing spot. That got tons of money and major issues in their secondary. A Goldson/Barron secondary wouldn't be a bad look for them. And I said incentives that would push it to 6.5. But its still a 5-5.5 base salary. Your only on the hook for the base unless the incentives are reached.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-07-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
That's not going to happen. The deal would have been done already if Goldson wanted 6.5, seriously? He wants top 5 safety money. That's 8 mil per. Somebody will give it to him. It just won't be Baalke. If I had to guess right now, I'd say Tampa Bay might be the ideal landing spot. That got tons of money and major issues in their secondary. A Goldson/Barron secondary wouldn't be a bad look for them. And I said incentives that would push it to 6.5. But its still a 5-5.5 base salary. Your only on the hook for the base unless the incentives are reached.
Of course he will be seeking 8 mill but he hasn't seen what the market is for his services yet. He's damn good but top 5 is pushing it. If his best offer is 7.5 million then I can see him coming back to us for 7 million.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny post on the main board regarding Dashon Goldson and his "lack" of coverage abilities in the 49ers defense.

Quote:
His range forced the 49ers to play way too much Man 2. We had to split the field between he and Whitner because he doesn't have the ability to limit big plays by reading and taking the deep man in a Robber situation. The reason big plays were limited is because of the Man 2 vanilla defense we're forced to play.

To say it didn't handicap the 49ers defense is a completely false statement. I challenge you to show me some third down plays where he made plays as a Top Man in coverages like Cover 1, Cover 10, Cover 20, Cover 40, etc. It's a fact that we aren't able to use mixed coverages and half 0's because of his limited range. He is a good FS, I never disputed that. But to say he deserves the kind of money that he's asking or money that will prevent us from signing our better younger players down the road is crazy.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Funny post on the main board regarding Dashon Goldson and his "lack" of coverage abilities in the 49ers defense.

What a freakin idiot, I guess he knows the reasoning behind each defensive call. Did it ever occur to this imbecile that SF never asked or wanted Goldson to do that?

Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well he's right to a extent. Goldson can't cover man. He is strictly a zone FS. We don't ask him to drop down and press the slot or cover the TE split out because that's not his game. Guys like Weddle and Reed have that ability. So he is correct in that he isn't a cover safety in that since. But the Cover 1 part is just ********. We've played plenty of safety high and Goldson has done a great job of it. If the ball goes over Goldson's head, its usually a blown coverage, never because he can't just can't cover ground quick enough. The one thing about Goldson, he isn't particularly fast so he has to read and anticipate well and he does that. Teams rarely fool Goldson so again, that some ********.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well he's right to a extent. Goldson can't cover man. He is strictly a zone FS. We don't ask him to drop down and press the slot or cover the TE split out because that's not his game. Guys like Weddle and Reed have that ability. So he is correct in that he isn't a cover safety in that since. But the Cover 1 part is just ********. We've played plenty of safety high and Goldson has done a great job of it. If the ball goes over Goldson's head, its usually a blown coverage, never because he can't just can't cover ground quick enough. The one thing about Goldson, he isn't particularly fast so he has to read and anticipate well and he does that. Teams rarely fool Goldson so again, that some ********.
I was conversing with this person on the main board and I just found it hilarious to nitpick on Goldson's third down coverage skills as if they were getting the 49ers defense killed, which just wasn't true, and was he was ticked because there may not be any notable plays he's made specifically on third down in a specific coverage, which is bogus as it it ignores every other positive thing he's done on every other down in every other situation. Also, the part about our defense not giving up any big plays because we play in a vanilla scheme, which makes zero sense. How many exotic defenses are out there that are terrible?

By the way what is a cover 10, 20, or 40? Apparently those exist? Never heard of those shells.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 03-07-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We play cover 1 more than anything else. Not sure what that dude is talking about.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Niners tendered Trumaine Brock today and re-signed Joe Hastings.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I really thought they would tender McBath also. Oh well...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What was the tender for Brock?
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
What was the tender for Brock?
According to PFT, 1.3M. Won't receive a pick if he signs elsewhere, but get the chance to match any offers.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Brock is back? Meh, I think he's alright. He was looking pretty good early in 2011 until he broke his hand.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I think he'd be a perfect fit in Tampa Bay.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Brock is back? Meh, I think he's alright. He was looking pretty good early in 2011 until he broke his hand.
I always liked Brock. Little short for my taste but a excellent ST guy and for a 5th CB, he's really not bad at all. Fast and is a very physical for his size. We could do a lot worst, that far down the depth chart.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ents-safeties/

I normally don't use PFF to justify DBs because their formulas on evaluating them has never really been explained, but they're rankings here justify why I believe Phillips could be a cheaper alternative to Goldson. I think guys like Moore, Goldson, Reed, and Landry will get a good amount of interest. I'm hoping we can lock onto Phillips and pry him away from NY. Especially if he has visions of playing FS full-time, his more natural position.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Abraham in for a visit today:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/repo...t-49ers-friday

I figured the Niners would invest a high draft pick or some FA $ into a 3rd pass rusher to rotate in. Don't think Abraham will fit budget-wise but we'll see.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
John Abraham in for a visit today:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/repo...t-49ers-friday

I figured the Niners would invest a high draft pick or some FA $ into a 3rd pass rusher to rotate in. Don't think Abraham will fit budget-wise but we'll see.
All I will say is that I hope Baalke doesnt sign him regardless of the cost.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DC Forum Mock (Pre-Smith trade.) I didn't participate so I deserve none of the love/hate. Just open for thoughts...

DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist
C Barrett Jones, Alabama
FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
WR Marquess Wilson, Washington St.*
RB Stepfan Taylor, Stanford
TE Ryan Otten, San Jose St.
QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
OT Reid Fragel, Ohio St.
LB Cameron Lawrence, Mississippi St.
WR Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
K Quinn Sharp, Oklahoma St.
C Braxston Cave, Notre Dame
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
DC Forum Mock (Pre-Smith trade.) I didn't participate so I deserve none of the love/hate. Just open for thoughts...

DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist
C Barrett Jones, Alabama
FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
WR Marquess Wilson, Washington St.*
RB Stepfan Taylor, Stanford
TE Ryan Otten, San Jose St.
QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
OT Reid Fragel, Ohio St.
LB Cameron Lawrence, Mississippi St.
WR Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
K Quinn Sharp, Oklahoma St.
C Braxston Cave, Notre Dame
A little high for Hunt but I'm starting to think that Hunt @ 31 is a possibility. I like the picks in bold, dislike the picks underlined, the rest are average. Pretty good draft overall.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
All I will say is that I hope Baalke doesnt sign him regardless of the cost.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

It's after 9pm, let the tampering begin!!

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Per ProFootball Central the 49ers have contacted Wes Welker's agent tonight as have the Cowboys.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

RJF has received several calls tonight per Adam Caplan

Quote: