Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, I think he's worth a third-round pick or so. By drafting someone like Matt Barkley in the second round, you're getting a younger quarterback for four years, whereas with Mallett, you have him for two years. I also don't think indications out of New England are that he's seen as the future of the team.

Bill Belichick has shown a willingness to replace veteran quarterbacks with younger players before (Bernie Kosar, Drew Bledsoe), but opted to give Brady another three-year extension rather than let him play out the deal and reevaluate then. If the Patriots evaluated Mallett as a franchise quarterback in waiting (or even a quality starter), I doubt they would have committed to Brady.

If he re-signs with the Patriots, Mallett will be 30 years old by the time Brady's deal expires, at which point he could be a Brandon Weeden type, old for a first-time starter and without pro experience. There have been rumors that the Patriots are unwilling to trade Mallett, but I think that's posturing for a potential trade partner. Obviously you don't want to say "we have to get rid of this guy", otherwise you're not going to get value. It wouldn't be bad if Mallett stayed with the team, but I think this is a prime opportunity to trade him and replenish some of New England's missing draft picks. There are also a number of backup quarterbacks who have some familiarity with New England's coaching staff: Tebow with McDaniels, Cassel with McDaniels and Daboll, Quinn with Daboll, etc.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Played college football well. What has Geno Smith done to show he's good enough? Yet you still wanted the Chiefs to draft him...

If a team watches his college tape and thinks he's good enough to use a second round pick on, how could you question it, using the same logic you used for the Chiefs to draft Geno?
This assumes that I thought Ryan Mallett was a first round talent that year. I think he was way overrated, especially on these boards.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously, if Mallett is the QB of the future then Brady will be traded before the end of this contract. Of course, that's a pretty big "if."
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Brandon Weeden can go in round 1, can't see any reason Mallett couldn't net the Pats a 1st. I think it is unlikely to happen, but its not crazy.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
If Brandon Weeden can go in round 1, can't see any reason Mallett couldn't net the Pats a 1st. I think it is unlikely to happen, but its not crazy.
I could also see first round value. If Alex Smith can net two seconds I can easily see Mallett getting same or better value.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Cassel will in all likeliness be looking for work. Trade Mallet to a team like the Cardinals, Browns.

Lombardi reportedly hates Weeden, so they may even trade Weeden and a 2nd-3rd round pick for Mallet. Who knows.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Matt Cassel will in all likeliness be looking for work. Trade Mallet to a team like the Cardinals, Browns.

Lombardi reportedly hates Weeden, so they may even trade Weeden and a 2nd-3rd round pick for Mallet. Who knows.
He also is infatuated with Mallet apparently, so...

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
At this point, I think he's worth a third-round pick or so. By drafting someone like Matt Barkley in the second round, you're getting a younger quarterback for four years, whereas with Mallett, you have him for two years. I also don't think indications out of New England are that he's seen as the future of the team.

Bill Belichick has shown a willingness to replace veteran quarterbacks with younger players before (Bernie Kosar, Drew Bledsoe), but opted to give Brady another three-year extension rather than let him play out the deal and reevaluate then. If the Patriots evaluated Mallett as a franchise quarterback in waiting (or even a quality starter), I doubt they would have committed to Brady.

If he re-signs with the Patriots, Mallett will be 30 years old by the time Brady's deal expires, at which point he could be a Brandon Weeden type, old for a first-time starter and without pro experience. There have been rumors that the Patriots are unwilling to trade Mallett, but I think that's posturing for a potential trade partner. Obviously you don't want to say "we have to get rid of this guy", otherwise you're not going to get value. It wouldn't be bad if Mallett stayed with the team, but I think this is a prime opportunity to trade him and replenish some of New England's missing draft picks. There are also a number of backup quarterbacks who have some familiarity with New England's coaching staff: Tebow with McDaniels, Cassel with McDaniels and Daboll, Quinn with Daboll, etc.
What the hell? We trade away one of the most appealing backups before we need to, just so we can replace him with one of the 3 worst players with starting experience in the NFL. Clausen used to play for Weis maybe we should see if Carolina will give him up?
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Arizona & Cleveland.
What about Jacksonville?
I think if Arizona can solidify that line with the 7th pick then trading for Mallett would make perfect sense to me. I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 3rd for him.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Patriots are willing to trade him, I wouldn't want him. They spent nothing on him and the backup options are all trash, especially Cassell. If they trade him, Billy B doesn't see him as a legit guy.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mallett in this draft would be the best thrower out of all of them. He's Mike Glennon with a little better Release/Arm Strength and much better Accuracy.

So if Glennon is being talked about as a 2/3 rounder, then the better thrower with the same body with two years in the NFL behind a HOF QB with a HOF Head Coach to me is worth anything in the second round. And if you're dying for a QB maybe even a first rounder.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
If the Patriots are willing to trade him, I wouldn't want him. They spent nothing on him and the backup options are all trash, especially Cassell. If they trade him, Billy B doesn't see him as a legit guy.
I could buy that.

But Belichick has made it known he doesn't want to be coaching well into his 60s. He might hang em up when Brady does.

That means get what you can for right now.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Mallett in this draft would be the best thrower out of all of them. He's Mike Glennon with a little better Release/Arm Strength and much better Accuracy.

So if Glennon is being talked about as a 2/3 rounder, then the better thrower with the same body with two years in the NFL behind a HOF QB with a HOF Head Coach to me is worth anything in the second round. And if you're dying for a QB maybe even a first rounder.
Ummm...no. Mallett's mental approach to the game and leadership was much more developed than Glennon. I sort of like Glennon, but he's not even close as a prospect (potential is a bit closer). Mallett was always in full control of that team and commanded respect and execution. He's a franchise QB that teams let slip because of some rumor.

We also witnessed Mallett's ability to improve as a football player throughout his time in college. He changed his mechanics drastically from his time at Michigan to when he finished up at Arkansas. He used to have a long, winding release that got tighter and tighter with each year.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The main reason I see them holding on to Mallett is his cap number. It's impossible to find a decent backup on the cheap. If they brought Cassel back, he'd cost at least a couple mil per year. Even Hoyer coming back would be asking for a bigger contract than what Mallett's getting right now.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We honestly should. He would fit perfect for Marrone's offense and has the arm to last in Buffalo.

Doubt the pats would give him to us though.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I don't think the Pats are averse to dealing with Buffalo. This same regime traded Drew Bledsoe to those dirty Canada-touchers, after all.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't think the Pats are averse to dealing with Buffalo. This same regime traded Drew Bledsoe to those dirty Canada-touchers, after all.
At that point, they were not scared of Drew and knew he was not going to be a winner. They probably are not so willing with a guy like Mallett...you dirty boston bastard..: )

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
At that point, they were not scared of Drew and knew he was not going to be a winner. They probably are not so willing with a guy like Mallett...you dirty boston bastard..: )
We'll let you have him next year after Levitre and Wood are both gone. Then you can relive the Bledsoe years by having a immobile QB behind a porous line. Mallett can be a good QB, but you need a line that can block for him which is why a team like Arizona would be a disaster.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
We'll let you have him next year after Levitre and Wood are both gone. Then you can relive the Bledsoe years by having a immobile QB behind a porous line. Mallett can be a good QB, but you need a line that can block for him which is why a team like Arizona would be a disaster.
If we let Wood walk like we are with Levitre, I'm starting a riot.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
This assumes that I thought Ryan Mallett was a first round talent that year. I think he was way overrated, especially on these boards.
You didn't think he was a 2nd round talent either? No matter what you think of Mallett he was definitely at least a 2nd round talent. If he wasn't the Pat's wouldn't of taken him in the 3rd when they didn't even need a QB.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You didn't think he was a 2nd round talent either? No matter what you think of Mallett he was definitely at least a 2nd round talent. If he wasn't the Pat's wouldn't of taken him in the 3rd when they didn't even need a QB.
Well, the Patriots also drafted Kevin O'Connell (third round) and Rohan Davey (fourth) when they didn't need a quarterback.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Well, the Patriots also drafted Kevin O'Connell (third round) and Rohan Davey (fourth) when they didn't need a quarterback.
Yeah, but that's a different scenario. They planned to draft O'Connell. They simply couldn't pass on Mallett. It was akin to Green Bay drafting Rodgers.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People shouldn't use how the Patriots are handling Brady and resigning him through his 40th B-day as a sign that Belichick has no faith in Mallett developing into a good NFL QB.

Brady is arguably the greatest QB of his generation, possibly top 5 alltime.

Unless his arm falls off or his game goes into the toilet, Brady is going to write his own exit strategy out of NE.

There's no way Belichick is going to replace Brady with Mallett, unless Brady suddenly starting sucking really bad.

Andrew Luck and Joe Flacco along with most of the QBs in the NFL are backups to Brady if they were in NE. But it has nothing to do with their individual ability, it's about Brady being that franchise's greatest player ever.

You don't think the Ravens had better options at ILB than Ray Lewis the last 3 years??? Guys like that are given more respect by HCs and GMs, even when their play declines.

If the Pats are willing to trade Mallett, I think it means they believe NE won't be able to keep him there anyway and they want to get value for him before he leaves.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland are the one team that have been strongly linked because Mike Lombardi was known to be both a Mallett admirer and a Weeden critic during his days at NFL Network. Lombardi and Belichick also worked together during their time with the Browns in the mid 90s. Problem is, of course, Cleveland don't have the 2nd rd pick which the Pats would want at the very least, unless Lombardi can trade down from #6 and acquire a 2nd rd pick that way.

Worth noting:

The Eagles got a 2nd rd pick and DRC for Kevin Kolb, who had 7 starts on his Philly resume with an 11-14 TD/INT ratio.

A better comparison to Mallett's situation imo is Matt Schaub as both players were drafted in the 3rd rd. Schaub was also 26 and entering his 4th season when traded to the Texans, while Mallett will be 25 in June and entering his 3rd season.

The Falcons managed to receive two 2nd rd picks for Schaub while also swapping the 8th overall pick for Houston's 10th overall. Schaub looked impressive when given his chance in preseason games, but he'd only 2 regular season starts and 161 career attempts when the Texans traded for him.

Last edited by boknows34 : 03-11-2013 at 01:03 AM.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree. I could easily see the Pats with Josh McDaniels bringing back Matt Cassel to be a back up. He is fine in that role. Then they could flip Mallett for whatever. I love Mallett but I don't think he is the QBOTF in New England. His contract will be up and Brady will still be around.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote