Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
What I like about college basketball is that it's much more "democratic" than college football or baseball. Schools with no budget can field a pretty good team because you only need a handful of good players.
Exactly. This is also why I say conference doesn't matter in college basketball. A school like this can make a run in the tournament.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Contrary to what a lot of people say, experience matters in college basketball.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/stattracker/experience
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hence, why people believe Miami will make a deep run.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
Contrary to what a lot of people say, experience matters in college basketball.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/stattracker/experience
Unless you have a bunch of freaks (ala Kentucky last year), experience is huge.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. This is also why I say conference doesn't matter in college basketball. A school like this can make a run in the tournament.
A conference matters because of the experience a team gets in playing other tough teams.

If you aren't tested very often, you don't get a lot of intense, high pressure experiences or all game long battles.

And the tournament is full of those.

This goes to the point you made about experience matters.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

Quote:
A conference matters because of the experience a team gets in playing other tough teams.

If you aren't tested very often, you don't get a lot of intense, high pressure experiences or all game long battles.

And the tournament is full of those.

This goes to the point you made about experience matters.
I'm not arguing that being tested like you are in the B1G isn't beneficial. What I'm saying is that small school teams at least have a chance to compete for a championship unlike in college football.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

Quote:
Unless you have a bunch of freaks (ala Kentucky last year), experience is huge.
Kentucky is the exception. However, they did have a glue guy who was a senior in Darius Miller.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not arguing that being tested like you are in the B1G isn't beneficial. What I'm saying is that small school teams at least have a chance to compete for a championship unlike in college football.
That point I totally agree with. Even moreso the past decade.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
These are the kinds of teams I like to pick for upset winners. Veteran teams that can shoot the ball.
On paper, Ohio fits the bill. Four seniors starting, went to the Sweet-16 last year (where they took the top seed to OT), shooting just over 47% and have one hell of a distributor at the point.

They just have done nothing of note all year. I think they have a great chance to win the MAC, but they fell in their two games against Akron and have nothing close to a decent win on the year.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eh, to say it doesn't matter is misleading. It matters slightly less than other sports, specifically football.

A team in a big conference has a significantly higher probability of competing for a national championship than a team in a small conference. So it still does matter a good deal, your fate just isn't set in stone or you aren't asked to do the impossible if you are Butler or Murray State.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bucknell vs. Lafayette tonite in Patriot League Finals.

If Bucknell wins, they are going to be a very very very tough out in the tournament. They got a stud down on the blocks named Muscala - guy is beastly.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

46-25 second half :D
Will Regan can do some fun things. Let's see how far this forward pair can take us.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

12PM game today Minnesota vs. Illinois.

The loser might not make the tourney. Very good game.

P.S. Bucknell won and Muscala went for 21 and 11. Look for their matchup in the bracket.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lunardi has said both teams are making it regardless, and that Minnesota would need to get passed by about 12 teams to miss the tourney.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Lunardi has said both teams are making it regardless, and that Minnesota would need to get passed by about 12 teams to miss the tourney.
If i was on the board, I would have both teams in no matter what based on who they beat and strength of schedule.

But you never know with those old bastards when decision time comes sunday evening....plus a 1st rnd exit just looks so bad.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both teams will make it because of their early season resume, but honestly, the loser should just be punished for how crappy each of them have played lately. It's clear neither is the team they were during the first half of the season.

If the winner goes one and done in the BTT, it would be the poster child for backing into the tournament. Not to mention Minnesota is almost as bad as DePaul at playing on the road vs. any team with a pulse.

All that aside, I have Minnesota winning as long as Illinois doesn't have one of their fluke games where they shoot 90% from 3. If they aren't making their 3s, Illinois is terrible and Minnesota should easily just pound it inside every possession.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
12PM game today Minnesota vs. Illinois.

The loser might not make the tourney. Very good game.

P.S. Bucknell won and Muscala went for 21 and 11. Look for their matchup in the bracket.
Both should be in regardless of outcome.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

I almost feel bad for Illinois and Minnesota fans for having to suffer through this game.

Then I remember they are Illinois and Minnesota fans and don't feel bad at all.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's alright, Minnesota sports fans are masochists by trade.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Gophers couldn't have POSSIBLY played a worse last two minutes. What ******* horseshit. **** this team.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Minnesota shouldn't make the tournament

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

lolphers...

The committee should really re-consider using the last 10 games as criteria in extreme cases, such as Minnesota. What a hilarious team, and this is coming from a fan of a team that shouldn't have fielded a basketball team for about 5 years.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
lolphers...

The committee should really re-consider using the last 10 games as criteria in extreme cases, such as Minnesota. What a hilarious team, and this is coming from a fan of a team that shouldn't have fielded a basketball team for about 5 years.
Minnesota played well out of conference, but they're nowhere near the same team; they've moved back in caliber play. They've lost 11 of their last 16 games and that's terrible, especially considering they didn't win a road/neutral site game in that stretch.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, this is a very extreme case.

Can you go 5-11 during the last 2 months and make the tournament?

The Indiana win might be what gets them in.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't wait for the butthurt from Iowa fans when we still make the tournament over them.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote