Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I heard that horseshit mentality last year about DeCastro and the Titans didn't draft a single interior OL in the late rounds.
The majority of the top interior OL guys in the league weren't first round picks. Look at the 2 top guards in FA this year. Levitre was a 2nd rounder and Vasquez was a 3rd rounder.

Us deciding not to draft anyone there last year is another story...
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a great point Pierce, of the top 10 guards in the NFL - by my own ratings, only Logan Mankins, Mike Iupati and Ben Grubbs were first round picks. If Guard is your only need, and there's extreme value there I think it's fine taking on in the first. But I just think there's so much we need, and I've never been that impressed by Warmack where other people say he's the best player in the draft.

When you go into a position such as DE, It's close to double that.

(again my opinion on the top players at each position)

Last edited by mightytitan9 : 03-16-2013 at 12:36 AM.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mankins, Iupati, and Grubbs were all late 1st rounders at that. I'd be perfectly fine with waiting until the 3rd to pick a guard (or center if we want to slide Velasco to RG). Plenty of starting interior lineman get picked in the mid rounds and this is a deep class.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I still love zee Germinator.

So sue me.
I'm gonna watch some games of him again. I watched him some during the season, wasn't much impressed. Then I watched some vids recently, just didn't seem like a top 10 pick. But maybe I missed things. I'll probably watch Moore again too.

Call me crazy, but if they think Sheldon can be a Kevin Carter type, I'd probably draft him at 10 over Germany or Moore.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I like Richardson as a disruptive UT type, but the thing that concerns me about putting him at DE (when comparing him to guys like Kevin Carter) is that he lacks length. Sheldon is 6'2 1/2 and Carter was 6'6.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
The majority of the top interior OL guys in the league weren't first round picks. Look at the 2 top guards in FA this year. Levitre was a 2nd rounder and Vasquez was a 3rd rounder.

Us deciding not to draft anyone there last year is another story...
The majority of guards drafted in the first round are a slam dunk. Would you rather have a pretty good guard or a guy to anchor or line for the next decade? Just look at the most recent All-Decade team.

2000s All-Decade First Team
Steve Hutchinson: 1st Round
Alan Faneca: 1st Round

I want Warmack, I don't care if we can get Warford in the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Werner has great flexiabilty and bend. Imo, I dont understand the hype on Ansah because he gets destroyed on a pretty regular basis....He is ineffective against double teams, his technique is ****, he is on the ground to much,and his explosion off the snap is inconsistent. I like his upside, but I doubt that he is gonna beast off the starting line like JPP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Richardson as a disruptive UT type, but the thing that concerns me about putting him at DE (when comparing him to guys like Kevin Carter) is that he lacks length. Sheldon is 6'2 1/2 and Carter was 6'6.
Of the measurables, I've always thought height was the least significant. A shorter guy can get a leverage advantage easier. Sheldon also has the more important length factor imo, 34.5" arms and big hands. I'd definitely have him play inside too, just as Carter did.

I can see that not being considered the best value there, so a trade down could be sought after.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
Werner has great flexiabilty and bend. Imo, I dont understand the hype on Ansah because he gets destroyed on a pretty regular basis....He is ineffective against double teams, his technique is ****, he is on the ground to much,and his explosion off the snap is inconsistent. I like his upside, but I doubt that he is gonna beast off the starting line like JPP.
One thing Ziggy has that can not be argued is the ceiling. Compare his workout #'s and size vs Werner. But I wouldn't say that w/o having some film to that impresses. Look at plays Ziggy made in the Sr Bowl vs top competition playing in the role as a 43 DE that we would play him vs being somewhat misused at BYU. Ziggy makes more "wow" plays that tell me he can beat elite competition like he will see in the NFL.

Many things you said against Ansah can be said against Werner as well. Not sure why you'd say JPP has any advantage coming out of college. P2W already did a good comparison there, Ziggy has the advantage technically...and just looks better on his college film to me.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think most the knocks on Ansah can be said about Werner as well. It's completely different playing in a 3-4 defense as Ansah did as to a 4-3 like Werner did.

What worries me most about Werner is that there's not a single thing when watching him that I can say he does great. He's not extremely quick, not extremely agile, not extremely agile. The best things he has going for him in my opinion is his vision and his motor. When watching his film I see him run right by the OT, do some type of lean to barely get by their grasp and make a play far too often. Does this translate to the NFL? Time will tell, but I don't think it will. He's far from the Chris Long he gets compared to so often.

I think the largest determinant on who if Ansah is available is whether Detroit takes him or not. Detroit could go several ways, OT, DE, or even CB could all be realistic options.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Also, I did a full review of JPP coming out, I went to JUCO with him and knew first hand some of the things he could do. Watching the film I came away far more impressed than others because I actually watch how his game translated to the pros, not just his production.

From a production standpoint I understand the JPP comparsion, but as a player I think Ziggy is more comparable to a little more athletic Justin Tuck or since we're Titans fans, an early career Kevin Carter type player. But in watching film of Ziggy, I see a lot of things that translate very well to the NFL just as I did with JPP.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
But in watching film of Ziggy, I see a lot of things that translate very well to the NFL just as I did with JPP.
That's the catch isn't it? We can see college players dominate on film, but so many of the things they do well just won't translate to the pros. That's why Ziggy is getting the hype after little college production just as JPP did. When I see the "wow" plays from Ziggy, I think I see things that will work against the best of the best. If you are drafting top 10, that upside has to be a big factor in your decision imo.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Agreed Bobo, some people merely look at production and not the whole package. These are the people that rank guys like Bill Swancutt as being taken in the first few rounds.

With Ziggy, you've got to look further than just the stats and how many big plays he made. He was a 3-4 DE so it's hard to analyze.

Ziggys 10yd split was very good for a guy 271. Ansah isn't a run the arch DE like JPP, Kearse and others. He's more of a power DE in the mold of a Kevin Carter, Justin Tuck, Bruce Smith type.

I like Ziggy alot, he's a complete player that can move inside on passing downs and the number 10 pick will be a reasonable cap number for a backup DE and in a few years he will be a steal in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

NFL.com reports we are interested in SS Bernard Pollard.

There's a few guys out there I think we should really take a look at.

CB Brent Grimes: Grimes is coming off injury and may be looking for a 1 yr prove it deal. Little to no risk with the right contract.
TE Fred Davis: See Brent Grimes
RG Brandon Moore: One of the best RGs in the NFL, he is a little older but still playing at a high level. He should come very fair priced.
DE Osi Umenyiora: The market is soft for the DEs that have already signed, and with Elvis Dumervil, John Abraham and Dwight Freeney still available, he may be best signed a short-term deal.
DT Sedrick Ellis: His best years came under Williams, a 1yr prove it deal would provide us with depth and help Ellis resurrect his career
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Elvis Dumervil was released.

The Tits are said to have interest, along with the likes of the Ravens and Patriots. We'd have to probably offer $10 million a year so we can outbid the contenders. He was set to make $8 million this season.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post

The Tits are said to have interest, along with the likes of the Ravens and Patriots. We'd have to probably offer $10 million a year so we can outbid the contenders. He was set to make $8 million this season.
He'll probably sign something for closer to $6 mill
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I agree that we probably will have to outbid the contenders, but I'm not sure those contenders will be ponying up $8 mil per.

I'm kind of torn on this one. I do like Dumervil and we did lack a pass rush last year, but I'm uncertain if Dumervil is the right guy at his price point. We already have Wimbley and Ayers as undersized speed rushers. But at the same time the man can get to the quarterback and we need that.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Same here Pierce. Can you really deny one of the more underrated pass rushers in the league?

He's very solid against the run too, just at 5'11" 260 is a little smaller than normal. Plus, being 5'11" can really help with OTs because they have a hard time getting down to that level.

Ideally, I'd love to have a bigger DE who can slide inside on obvious passing downs. BUT, Dumervil has had 37.5 sacks over the past three seasons and you can't deny that.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

On a side note, how pissed do you think our LBers are? Our 3 starters are the 4th, 5th and 6th highest paid LBers on our team...

On another site someone projected we had $6.1 million left to spend, however, they did this as the average of the contracts, whereas they are usually backloaded so I would say we actually have closer to $10m right now
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doom is a double-digit sack artist. They don't get 5y/$30m contracts. They get 5y/$45m contracts.

But if we can get him for the same price Cincy got Odom or Atlanta got Edwards, that'd be fine by me. I just think we'll have to open up our wallets for him, especially with so many superior teams pining for him.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I actually think considering the really weird Dumervil situation he might be able to be had at a very reasonable price. Most teams who were willing to spend have already done so, but who knows really.

I've come around to wanting Dumervil because I think he can be had at a fair price and after this year I'm pretty sure Wimbley can be fairly easily rid of if we choose to do so. Dumervil >>> Wimbley.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
NFL.com reports we are interested in SS Bernard Pollard.

There's a few guys out there I think we should really take a look at.

CB Brent Grimes: Grimes is coming off injury and may be looking for a 1 yr prove it deal. Little to no risk with the right contract.
TE Fred Davis: See Brent Grimes
RG Brandon Moore: One of the best RGs in the NFL, he is a little older but still playing at a high level. He should come very fair priced.
DE Osi Umenyiora: The market is soft for the DEs that have already signed, and with Elvis Dumervil, John Abraham and Dwight Freeney still available, he may be best signed a short-term deal.
DT Sedrick Ellis: His best years came under Williams, a 1yr prove it deal would provide us with depth and help Ellis resurrect his career
Not sure what to think about Pollard. Is he ok with being depth?

Grimes would be hella worth a shot. The market value may be hard to judge here though.

I'd like Moore, but I'm guessing they'll draft a rookie fairly high and start him day one. If Moore still has some gas though, this has to be the one signing of this bunch that could be the biggest impact.

As for DE, I just want to start building with youth there.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
I actually think considering the really weird Dumervil situation he might be able to be had at a very reasonable price. Most teams who were willing to spend have already done so, but who knows really.

I've come around to wanting Dumervil because I think he can be had at a fair price and after this year I'm pretty sure Wimbley can be fairly easily rid of if we choose to do so. Dumervil >>> Wimbley.
What's the weird situation? Hopefully not an Te'o type stuff right? lol

I'd love to have Dumervil, but do we have deep enough pockets now?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Doom is a double-digit sack artist. They don't get 5y/$30m contracts. They get 5y/$45m contracts.

But if we can get him for the same price Cincy got Odom or Atlanta got Edwards, that'd be fine by me. I just think we'll have to open up our wallets for him, especially with so many superior teams pining for him.
I don't think Dumervil will get close to a 9m/yr deal with the current market. The teams most notably interested in him don't exactly have a ton of cap space, although they could move it around if really interested.

I think we'll see Dumervil sign something close to a 1-2 yr deal worth around 6-7 annually.

The Ravens reportedly have around 7m in cap space, and they really need to try to bring in someone to play safety for them unless they decide to cut Suggs and replace him with Dumervil, I don't see it.

The Patriots have an estimated 10m in current cap space, so this is the largest possibilty of the 4 that show up as interested from nfl.com

The Broncos have around 8.8m from estimates, and they ate around 4.5m in dead money cutting Dumervil. So if they sign him to another 6-7m contract, that'd be 10-11m they're playing him this season. So I don't think that will happen.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Not sure what to think about Pollard. Is he ok with being depth?

Grimes would be hella worth a shot. The market value may be hard to judge here though.

I'd like Moore, but I'm guessing they'll draft a rookie fairly high and start him day one. If Moore still has some gas though, this has to be the one signing of this bunch that could be the biggest impact.

As for DE, I just want to start building with youth there.
I don't know about Pollard, but he could come relatively cheap. He's pretty slow though.

I would love to add Moore in FA, I bet he would sign something close to a 2yr/6m deal. Cutting Amano would clear $3.685 off the books according to rotoworld. So we could upgrade the RG position drastically AND get rid of Amano, now that's a winning combination!

Signing Moore would give us a beastly offensive line, while allowing us to groom a 3rd-4th round lineman to take over at Center/Guard