Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way, does anybody know how Demar Dotson ISN'T a free agent? By all accounts I knew of he was a free agent going into the offseason... now he isn't. Apparently he signed a two year deal last season, the first for $800K and this season for $2 mil. This is news to me... it's also good. I thought Dotson was very good last season in pass protection. Yes, he needs to improve as a run blocker, but he is still rapidly improving and I feel good about going into 2013 as him being the starting RT. It's also one less thing we need to worry about.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going into free agency I thought we needed to address: the DL, CB, TE, and WR. We've done none of that. We took care of safety and that is it so far. Are we bargain shopping late in free agency a la Patriots style?

At WR there are still some interesting guys out there:
Darius Heyward-Bey-considered a bust by many, nearly had a 1000 yards in 2011. But think about it, he would be ideal for us... we need a #3 slot WR... and he ISN'T it... but he could come on the field in those situations and Mike Williams could become the slot WR. DHB could put the deep speed stress on the defense we haven't had since Jacquez Green and haven't had with any effectiveness since Kevin House.

Domenik Hixon-familiar with Sullivan-style offense, Could compete for 3rd WR spot and return punts and kicks.

Julian Edelman-A Wes Welker-type slot WR with quickness and versatility. Returns punts also.

Tight End
Dustin Keller-my favorite TE entering free agency and he's still around. As athletic as any TE out there (almost). He is a tad short and has been dinged up frequently.

Kellen Davis-intriguing physical specimen from a pass catching perspective, he is a solid blocker as well.

Travis Beckum-familiar with Sullivan's offense, if knee is healthy he is pretty athletic.

Brandon Myers-not very big or athletic, but very productive and reliable

Ramses Barden-could've put him with the WRs but I think he would be an ideal H-B. Big, fast, and athletic, he would be a fantastic move TE that is familiar with Sullilvan's offense.

Defensive End
It's down to bare bones here.

Dwight Freeney and John Abraham-either/or could be effective nickel pass rushers, neither would serve best as a starter

Osi Umenyiora-his best days are far behind him as well, but he is a little more of a complete DE at this stage of his career and could be added for depth or if Clayborn struggles to regain health.

after these guys it is slim pickins...

Andre Carter-Don't know if he is fully recovered from the torn quad, but on the bright side, it's 2013, and Carter has had double digit sacks in each of the past 3 odd years.

Matt Shaughnessy-not much of a pass rusher
Darryl Tapp-what, if anything, does he have left
Sackless Kyle Moore-yes, the rest are THAT bad.

and finally Cornerback

Nnamdi-Was once great, could perhaps revive his career with the Bucs. Is older, but is still better than what we had last season.

Tracy Porter-at one time, I thought he was an excellent CB. That wasn't that long ago and if healthy he could be a steal.

Antoine Cason-is better than given credit for. Is very solid if not spectacular, big upgrade over all but EJ Biggers.

Kyle Arrington-more of a slot CB type. Was once a Buc under Raheem. Is decent and could fight for a starting spot. Had a tons of INTs in 2011.

Michael Huff-career FS that could move to CB. Has the physical ability for CB and would probably be better there than at FS.

Mike Jenkins-he was decent at one point. Not as good as many Buc fans think, but he could compete for a spot.

Aqib Talib-I always liked Talib. You wonder if all the stuff Talib and Schiano said about each other was true... if they re-signed him, not only would we know it was, but it would be funny to get Talib back and still have the Pats 4th.

Stanford Routt-He's fast... that's about it.

Brice McCain-feisty little CB that could be a good 3rd CB for somebody.

AJ Jefferson-blessed with loads of potential, hasn't realized it yet. Only a 3rd year player that was tendered at the lowest level meaning Vikings get no compensation if they lose him.

DJ Moore-started some games for the Bears and did okay. Not very big but is competitive.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

My FA preference in order for starters:

1) Cason-no major injuries, still fairly young, playing well
2) Asomugha-turning 32 this summer, still like his chances of regaining most of his former shutdown form than of a soon to be 29 year old Revis recovering fully from a torn ACL and the contract and give away in a trade that would come with it.
3) Tracy Porter-always liked him, no major injuries, still young.
4) Huff-like his transition to CB at a fairly young age and lack of injuries better than Revis as well.

I left out Brent Grimes... I really don't like that fact that he will be 30 this year and is trying to recover from an Achilles tear. The half-step he will lose is the likely the difference between this guy being good and being out of the league. Of course as I say this, Grimes is probably putting pen to paper to sign a Buc contract right now.

The 3rd CB types:

1) Brice McCain-the guy is tough, fast, and competitive and still very young.
2)AJ Jefferson-so much ability still unrealized. Ran 4.42 at the combine a 6'0 190 and jumped an amazing 44".
3) DJ Moore-nothing great physically, but is tough and can be a good slot CB.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

And Dumervil getting cut puts him at the top of my FA DEs now.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy Miller signing with the Jaguars means that the Bucs have a big hole at NT now... Unless they're planning to start Irvin or Gibson next to McCoy.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Any chance we go after him? He would definitely our 20 or so sack total.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
SpinaMan
Rookie

SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bye bye rejus benn

Eagles acquired WR Arrelious Benn and a 2013 seventh-round pick from the Buccaneers in exchange for Philadelphia's 2013 sixth-round pick and a 2014 conditional pick.
Bucs GM Mark Dominik didn't get much, but he did do well to get anything at all for Benn, who's been a near-complete bust since Tampa Bay drafted him with the 39th overall pick in 2010. Billed as a chain-moving possession receiver with run-afer-catch ability coming out of Illinois, Benn has been incredibly injury prone en route to just 862 yards and five touchdowns across 37 career games (24 starts). He'll battle for a roster spot in Eagles camp.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinaMan View Post
Bye bye rejus benn

Eagles acquired WR Arrelious Benn and a 2013 seventh-round pick from the Buccaneers in exchange for Philadelphia's 2013 sixth-round pick and a 2014 conditional pick.
Bucs GM Mark Dominik didn't get much, but he did do well to get anything at all for Benn, who's been a near-complete bust since Tampa Bay drafted him with the 39th overall pick in 2010. Billed as a chain-moving possession receiver with run-afer-catch ability coming out of Illinois, Benn has been incredibly injury prone en route to just 862 yards and five touchdowns across 37 career games (24 starts). He'll battle for a roster spot in Eagles camp.

Looks like we could use that pick as more ammo in another trade. Having thought we'd just have to cut him, good on Dominik in getting a better pick out of him plus another, assuming that it comes with Benn making the Eagles.

Also.... we'd better be after Dumervil. We'd better.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
SpinaMan
Rookie

SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This was out of no where

Bucs agreed to terms with TE Tom Crabtree, formerly of the Packers.
A restricted free agent, the Packers wanted Crabtree back, but rolled the dice they could sign him for less than the $1.32 million low tender. They were wrong. The Pack have always been high on Crabtree's talent, but to date he's mostly blocked. He has just 18 catches in 46 career games. Crabtree could momentarily vault to the top of Tampa's barren tight end corps, but it remains a position of need.
Related: Packers
Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter Mar 15 - 11:50 PM
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It looks like Revis is going to be a Buccaneer, sooner or later.

My only concern about giving up a 1st rounder for next year: What if Freeman tanks? Yes, the secondary was a problem last year, but Freeman didn't exactly help their cause with innaccuracy and unable to convert.

What do we do then at QB? IS Revis worthy of 15 million per year? He's a heck of a player and I'd love to have him, but the team comes first. How do we afford Mike Williams Extension? Gerald McCoy? Doug Martin and Lavonte David in a few years?
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
YEP. 100% agree. He'd be a terror at RDE and even stand up in a 5 man rush on 3rd downs.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
YEP. 100% agree. He'd be a terror at RDE and even stand up in a 5 man rush on 3rd downs.
I would be very happy if the Bucs manage to land Dumervil, but I doubt they're looking at him, as we've yet to hear about the Bucs targeting any pass-rushers in free agency. It seems strange to me that we'd ignore what's on the market, but target a guy who was a long shot to be available to begin with.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I would be very happy if the Bucs manage to land Dumervil, but I doubt they're looking at him, as we've yet to hear about the Bucs targeting any pass-rushers in free agency. It seems strange to me that we'd ignore what's on the market, but target a guy who was a long shot to be available to begin with.
I think what dom is doing is, if there is a legit guy they like, they'll go after them in Free Agency, but won't necessarily use Free Agency as a building source. They want to build through the draft, but will pursue a Free Agent or player available if they think it's right.

I like that approach. Look at what the Dolphins are doing. It's the recipe for disaster, overpaying for average players. Paying Mike Wallace top 5 money after a terrible year? Do you think he's a legite #1 WR? I don't I think he's good opposite a #1. I wonder how this impacts us resigning Mike Williams. They both had similar #s. He could test the market next year.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Williams hasn't yet gone over a 1,000 yards. I was reading Mike was looking for 8 Million a year. Which to me is a little much. How about a 5 years 35 Million.

And on Revis. He's worth 15 Million a year playing for Rex Ryan or in any system where he's 1 on 1 with the other teams best while blitzing 65% of the time. But I really don't think any team should pay a non QB 15 Million a season.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

No, Mike Williams has never gone over 1000, but he's averaged over 900 yards a year and 64 catches. Plus he scores TDs. Still, he's no VJaxk, or Welker either, Amendola is getting $6 mil per and I can't see Williams making more than that.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Check out these highlights on Crabtree. It’s only two plays but you can see clearly that he has more than enough speed to win matchups against LBs and according to anybody with knowledge of him, he is a good blocker.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...0-842b98c72ae0

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-yard-TD-catch
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I am about 99% sure we have ZERO interest in him. I do, they don't.

I think they are content to have Bowers and Clayborn as their starting DEs and add other DEs for depth purpose only.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Does anybody else find it interesting that three of the four free agents signed entered the league as undrafted free agents?

Ogletree, Crabtree (we are into the trees), and Casillas (Spanish for “tree”, just kidding) were all undrafted upon entering the league.

I think that may be one of the reasons these three guys were targeted. They are safer pickups as all three had to fight their ways into the NFL and fight to stay in it. This is completely unlike guys like Braylon Edwards, Dallas Clark, and DJ Williams who were selected very highly in the draft, were gifted (meaning they didn’t HAVE to work hard) starting positions, and regardless of whether they were good or not were guaranteed roster spots for a significant part of their careers because of how highly they were drafted. I think Buc management sees that these guys are hungry, have that walk-on mentality, and if they are playing for a paycheck, it’s for that paycheck they haven’t gotten yet. I like the mentality. It’s very rare when an undrafted free agent possesses that “better than thou-use their own name in the 3rd person” type attitudes.

That being said, there are still tons of good players left at every position. There are ten CBs that can come in and either be a starter or compete, several DTs and DEs that can come in and start or be valuable backups. Great teams aren’t centered around one player (unless that player is a great QB), they are built on great depth and competition and I think that is what the Bucs are trying to add.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Based on the above discoveries that I think the team is merely looking to free agency to add depth to the players already on the roster, here are free agents in select positions that we may be targeting:

DE
Older guys that can add depth-
John Abraham, Osi Umenyiora (if he can accept being the 3rd DE), Dwight Freeney, Andre Carter

younger guys that can fight for a spot and add depth
Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson, Trevor Scott, Antwan Applewhite, Kyle Moore

DTs
Guys that can fight for the starting NT spot
Sedrick Ellis (if he is willing to play for cheap), Antonio Johnson, Trevor Laws, Leger Douzable, Derek Landri, Myron Pryor, Andre Fluellen

I think the Bucs are not breaking the bank on anybody other than Goldson in free agency and will be more active as free agents get antsy and just want to get a on a team to their advantage.

MY CB stays the same, though I don't think Nnamdi fits the mold of not breaking the bank.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Check out these highlights on Crabtree. Itís only two plays but you can see clearly that he has more than enough speed to win matchups against LBs and according to anybody with knowledge of him, he is a good blocker.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...0-842b98c72ae0

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-yard-TD-catch
I looooove the Crabtree signing. I look at him as this years Martellus Bennett. Under used player that gets a shot with a another team. Also if he turns out not to be that will still have a hell of a good blocking TE with us which never hurts. So I look at this signing as it can only make our team better.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Mark dominik needs to just walk away from this Revis deal. Keep the draft picks and money and retain your own guys. Draft Xavier Rhodes and tyran mathieu. Sign mike Jenkins or Brent grimes as vets.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Quote:
Mark dominik needs to just walk away from this Revis deal. Keep the draft picks and money and retain your own guys. Draft Xavier Rhodes and tyran mathieu. Sign mike Jenkins or Brent grimes as vets.
I was on board until you mentioned Mathieu. I do not want that turd anywhere near this team... And I think both Dominik and Schiano would agree with that assessment.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I was on board until you mentioned Mathieu. I do not want that turd anywhere near this team... And I think both Dominik and Schiano would agree with that assessment.
Actually, Schiano sat and met with Mathieu. Came away impressed and said he saw everything he needed to on tape. In rounds 3/4, the risk becomes lower.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
WOW if it were to play out that way, I think they take the division.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Legacy, read between the lines, my friend.

Dominik's actions are telling me one of two things. First, he and the staff are satisfied going into the year with Da'Quan Bowers (and are reasonably sure his NYC gun charge will go away) and Adrian Clayborn as the starting DE's, with little depth behind them. OR..... he has a DL target (or two) in the draft.

At this point, we can't know, because if we knew, his plan is shot.

Or..... the plan is something bigger...... leading into the 2014 offseason.

All this pandering to Revis now...... similar to Goldson this year. Dominik comes out with the .... "we want you, we want you"...... only to be unsuccessful. When he hits the market, he can then go and say.... "we we're the only ones that wanted to pony up for you...... the Bucs want you"..... These players are all.... ALL...... about the ego trip. Just like women. Dominik is playing the game here.

So...... let's say we go and get Lotulelei or Richardson or Werner at the draft in R1.... maybe a second tier CB in rounds 2 or 3 and either a pass rushing specialist (if we get Lotulelei in R1) or a NT (if we get Richardson/Werner in R1) as the other pick...... and that's all we do. that is actually a really good set up for 2014.

You see.... we will probably get torched in the secondary again, fans will be losing their fraking minds, but then say we go get Revis Day 1 next year in free agency. Maybe after that, we sign another complementary player, keep the guys we wanna keep, and go into a loaded draft looking to get more linemen both OT and DE to take our lines into elite categories. Especially considering we still haven't spent to the salary cap FLOOR. No, not a typo.... the floor.

Maybe the details are a pipedream...... but you get the idea.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote