Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default T.J. McDonald, S, USC

I never really make threads, but I haven't seen one on him and would love to know why does everyone have him so low? At the combine he ran a 4.59 (11th among safeties at combine, but his pro day will surely get him 4.49ish), 5th among Safeties in bench (19), 3rd in vert (40), 4th in long jump (10'11), 8th in 3 cone drill (6.89). Career 275 tackles, 8 ints, 17 pass defelctions. Solid size. I understand people think he is stiff and in the box saftey, but most of yall in the mocks dont have him to the 4th or not at all. Am I missing something big?

Last edited by zachsaints52 : 03-19-2013 at 11:06 AM.
zachsaints52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he had a really bad season, but i like him quite a bit in the right role.

Hes like a mix of darnell bing and taylor mays, its kinda strange actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is physically impressive, but I don't really see much of an upside even with those skills because he is what he is, an in-the-box safety. In today's NFL if a safety has little skill when it comes to coverage, what they worth in terms of draft position? I'd say nothing sooner than the fourth round.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A safety who can't cover you say? What number will he be wearing for the Pats next season?

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
He is physically impressive, but I don't really see much of an upside even with those skills because he is what he is, an in-the-box safety. In today's NFL if a safety has little skill when it comes to coverage, what they worth in terms of draft position? I'd say nothing sooner than the fourth round.
i kind of think he could be a good center fielder too though, hes not limited to being in the box because he does have good range and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't have the ability to play FS in the NFL IMO. That restricts him to a SS role and unless you're one of the best there you usually go late 3rd to 4th.

He lacks ball skills from what ive seen
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big time USC homer here. TJ sucks. I see all the same issues I saw with Mays.

Doesn't play through the whistle, hitter not a tackler, will make big hits on defenseless receivers earning a "physical" tag -- but reality is that he isn't physical against the run or in traffic.

Too tall, plays high, terrible change of direction..

Monte Kiffin doesn't require rocket scientists to play his scheme. The responsibilities are very straight forward. TJ still managed to screw this up.

This will sound odd because he was a receiver, but he reminds me of Roy E. Williams with his physical skill set. If you put Roy Williams at Safety you'd get TJ.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i kind of think he could be a good center fielder too though, hes not limited to being in the box because he does have good range and speed.
Meh -- he's got straight line speed but it doesn't translate to functional field speed. He doesn't have the ability to recognize breaks in routes, react, and make it from the hash to the sideline on a whim. He's just an athlete, not really a football player.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McDonald had a downright horrible season. Classic "look like tarzan, play like Jane". It is one thing if he is an in the box safety that cant cover because there is a lot of guys like that in the NFL (Yeremiah Bell, Laron Landry,Bernard Pollard, Donte Whitner), but it is another thing when you are as big as him and shy away from contact.

Not only can he not cover, he is reluctant to go up and hit the runner or be phsyical.

Guy will be a wasted pick in my opinion. Poor man's Taylor Mays and that is not good.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Big time USC homer here. TJ sucks. I see all the same issues I saw with Mays.

Doesn't play through the whistle, hitter not a tackler, will make big hits on defenseless receivers earning a "physical" tag -- but reality is that he isn't physical against the run or in traffic.

Too tall, plays high, terrible change of direction..

Monte Kiffin doesn't require rocket scientists to play his scheme. The responsibilities are very straight forward. TJ still managed to screw this up.

This will sound odd because he was a receiver, but he reminds me of Roy E. Williams with his physical skill set. If you put Roy Williams at Safety you'd get TJ.
Being a Bengals fan, I can tell you that Mays has hurt more Bengal players than opponents with his reckless style of play. I don't blame them for picking him up cheap, but it's time to end the experiment and cut him.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the info guys. I can understand your style of thinking, I just feel that at USC he wasnt required to do much (he pretty much played centerfiled before Kiffin I believe) so maybe he just isnt smart enough? I feel that with the right system (which yall have said) he could be serviceable.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there is one position where Mayock's track record is as good as it gets, it is the Safety position. He is rarely wrong here. He doesn't have McDonald in his top 5 and that speaks volumes to me. However, the Safety position is very deep this draft but I suspect round 3 is his likely destination.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like his brother more.

The biggest issue I had watching T.J. play this year was the lack of effort. He seems to be one of those guys who's satisfied with his teammates making the tackle while he watches, and that's a terrible quality to have as a big safety. Also, I don't think he's that bad in coverage when he's right, but he seems to process things slowly and/or doubt himself. I think his confidence took a dive the 2nd half of the season.

There are flashes where he looks like the 1st Rounder he was once hyped up to be. Disappointing end to his career, never took that next step... but another part of me thinks his best football could be ahead of him if he lands in the right situation.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally I see a steal if he lands with a really good defensive team. At his best he's one of the two or three best safeties in this draft if not the best.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Personally I see a steal if he lands with a really good defensive team. At his best he's one of the two or three best safeties in this draft if not the best.
Say What?

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I like his brother more.

The biggest issue I had watching T.J. play this year was the lack of effort. He seems to be one of those guys who's satisfied with his teammates making the tackle while he watches, and that's a terrible quality to have as a big safety. Also, I don't think he's that bad in coverage when he's right, but he seems to process things slowly and/or doubt himself. I think his confidence took a dive the 2nd half of the season.

There are flashes where he looks like the 1st Rounder he was once hyped up to be. Disappointing end to his career, never took that next step... but another part of me thinks his best football could be ahead of him if he lands in the right situation.
Yep, that's what I meant when I said he doesn't play through the whistle. He doesn't like to clean up the mess.

Although a much better prospect, DJ Swearinger also has that issue. Lot of film where he lets his teammates finish the play and doesn't get involved. Frustrating to see.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I like his brother more.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-football-team
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
What is wrong with some of these players? 3rd failed drug test?? SMH big time

Sig by the King BK

Quote: