Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Allen is plenty fast enough. 4.52-4.58 is what I'm predicting, not blazing speed but it'll work.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I think Allen is plenty fast enough. 4.52-4.58 is what I'm predicting, not blazing speed but it'll work.
I'm just not impressed with Allen at all. He does not get great separation, he is not explosive. He does seem to run decent routes and has very good hands. But tell me this...what does he give you that you can't get from Woods/Hunter/Rogers in the 2nd, Harper/Dobson in the 3rd, or Wilson in the 4th? To me he hasn't shown much to separate himself.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I'm just not impressed with Allen at all. He does not get great separation, he is not explosive. He does seem to run decent routes and has very good hands. But tell me this...what does he give you that you can't get from Woods/Hunter/Rogers in the 2nd, Harper/Dobson in the 3rd, or Wilson in the 4th? To me he hasn't shown much to separate himself.
I would say Allen is a better route runner than all of them and has better hands than all except for maybe Woods. He doesn't have any baggage like Hunter and Rogers does. But heck I like all the receivers you listed so It's not like I have a problem with the Rams passing on Allen. Allen to me is a lot like Blackmon was last year, I didn't think he was worthy of a top 10 selection but I still thought he was a good receiver. I would take Austin and Hopkins over him.

If Rams choose to go a different route in round one, then I want Justin Hunter in round two and say, a Josh Boyce in the 5th.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just got done watching the WVU-Oklahoma game and came away even more impressed with Austin than I was before. I don't care that he is small...he is absolutely electrifying. Even playing tailback for most of the game, he was durable and really didn't take that many hits. He is very smart, has great field awareness, and knows how to avoid contact. Definitely my #1 mancrush in this draft, if you couldn't tell already.

I also came away very impressed with Stedman Bailey. He is a guy I hadn't paid too much attention to because I always was watching Austin, but he is an excellent receiver as well. I think he would be a steal if he fell to the 3rd round.

Next up...I'm going to watch the Georgia-Tennessee game. There are a few guys in this game that I am interested in: Hunter, Patterson, and Dallas Thomas from Tennessee; Ogletree, Jones, Jenkins, Geathers and Rambo from Georgia. Is there anyone else I should be looking for?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Georgia has two other DB's that could be mid to late round picks. Sanders Commings is a big CB and Shawn Williams is the other S next to Rambo.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Oh I remember Williams...I was kind of high on him earlier this offseason but had forgotten him. Commings didn't run very well at the Combine...I will check them both out.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the Rams cut TE Matthew Milligan today. Saves them about $725,000.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Scott's latest mock is epic.

16 - Chance Warmack
22 - Tavon Austin

Probably best case scenario.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Scott's latest mock is epic.

16 - Chance Warmack
22 - Tavon Austin

Probably best case scenario.
I'll take it:-)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Kind of interesting...2 of these 4 mocks have us taking Austin at #22, and only one has him off the board at that spot.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Kind of interesting...2 of these 4 mocks have us taking Austin at #22, and only one has him off the board at that spot.

I fear that he'll go a lot higher than even we think. I mean I'd probably take him in the top 10. Just reminds me of Julio a few years ago. Everyone was begging the Rams to take him at 14 and then he goes like #6 overall.

Also, looking at those mocks....Sheldon Richardson over Kenny Vaccaro all day.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 03-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Trumaine got a DUI a few days ago. We better select two or bring in a few UDFA's just in case. We only have three corners on the roster I think.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I think we can't mess around if Austin is there at #16.

I think it is a bit ironic about Johnson...all offseason I have had this nagging thought that we need a corner...then I look at the roster and think, "Well, we're pretty set there. Maybe in the later rounds." But the truth is, you can never have too many, and this defense is by no means "well established." On that note, I was just reading on another board about DJ Hayden from Houston now being on Mike Mayock's Top 5 list if he passes the medical. I guess he had a freak life-threatening injury in Novemeber but should be cleared to play. Could be a guy with 1st round talent that falls right into our lap in the 3rd:-)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'd be down for selecting Hayden. A few mid-late round guys I like are Terry Hawthorne, Darius Slay and Micah Hyde.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I have heard conflicting stories on Hawthorne...I was totally high on him until I figured out that the guy spewing the info was a total Illinois homer, and it turns out he has been very inconsistent throughout his career. Great speed/skillset though.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

So I just realized that Kenny Stills is in this draft...for some reason I thought he was a sophomore. Is anyone interested in him in the mid/late rounds? Any thoughts on where he might go? I didn't see him play a lot, but what I did see looked pretty decent. I think he has good hands, deceptive speed, and understands how to get on the same page with a QB. Granted, WVU didn't have a very good defense this year, but against them he scored 4 TDs, including two beautiful fade routes in the corner of the end zone, one from 4 yards out and one from the 11. He also scored another in the back of the end zone where he snuck around the back door and lost his defender. Man it would be nice to have a great red zone receiver.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm not incredibly surprised. I could certainly be wrong, but I think Austin's ceiling right now is 14 to Carolina. I would not be surprised if he did not go in the Top 20, either. It's just so hard to gauge how NFL teams are going to view him.

One problem I'm having is whether or not the Rams will be able to give him enough opportunities with the ball to make him worth a first round selection. I don't anticipate him spending much time on the outside as a flanker, and the Rams just gave Jared Cook big money, presumably to spend quite a bit of his time as a receiving target in the slot.

So if he's not going to line up that much outside, and his slot opportunities are limited to some degree by Cook, is he really worth the selection? Any rushing or return touches he has in a game are probably not going to account for more than 8-10 touches at most.

I just think Austin would have made much more sense before the Rams signed Cook. With Cook on the roster and being paid like he'll be a big part of the offense, I think Austin's fit with the Rams is a bit less clear.

For that reason, I'd probably pass on him @ 16 if there are other worthy prospects available (any of the top 6 OL for instance). At 22, you have to consider him as I think he's one of the best values on the board, but I also wonder if at that point someone else might want to jump Minnesota to grab him.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd be down for selecting Hayden. A few mid-late round guys I like are Terry Hawthorne, Darius Slay and Micah Hyde.
Slay might go in the first two rounds. I personally have him ahead of teammate Johnthan Banks.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I'm not incredibly surprised. I could certainly be wrong, but I think Austin's ceiling right now is 14 to Carolina. I would not be surprised if he did not go in the Top 20, either. It's just so hard to gauge how NFL teams are going to view him.

One problem I'm having is whether or not the Rams will be able to give him enough opportunities with the ball to make him worth a first round selection. I don't anticipate him spending much time on the outside as a flanker, and the Rams just gave Jared Cook big money, presumably to spend quite a bit of his time as a receiving target in the slot.

So if he's not going to line up that much outside, and his slot opportunities are limited to some degree by Cook, is he really worth the selection? Any rushing or return touches he has in a game are probably not going to account for more than 8-10 touches at most.

I just think Austin would have made much more sense before the Rams signed Cook. With Cook on the roster and being paid like he'll be a big part of the offense, I think Austin's fit with the Rams is a bit less clear.

For that reason, I'd probably pass on him @ 16 if there are other worthy prospects available (any of the top 6 OL for instance). At 22, you have to consider him as I think he's one of the best values on the board, but I also wonder if at that point someone else might want to jump Minnesota to grab him.
I fully get where you're coming from, but Cook and Austin would likely be doing different things in the middle of the field. I see Cook running a lot of seam routes, taking linebackers down the field, where I see Austin running a lot more quick slants crossing the field like Amendola did.

I also don't see any limits to what Austin can do from multiple formations. I think he can line up anywhere on the field. He proved that when he played tailback against Oklahoma for the first time and put up 344 rushing yards against them. He is a weapon and we can't have too many of them.

What's more, I think it is a matter of replacing the old philosophy with the new. Let's just get the most talented players available and we will find ways to use them. In past regimes we drafted timidly because we didn't want to create any logjams. The result was we had less real talent and little depth across the board.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I fully get where you're coming from, but Cook and Austin would likely be doing different things in the middle of the field. I see Cook running a lot of seam routes, taking linebackers down the field, where I see Austin running a lot more quick slants crossing the field like Amendola did.
Right, but unless you see the Rams going four wide frequently with Cook as one of those four, then they'd still be sharing slot snaps to a certain extent. And I'm not convinced Fisher is going to want to run that kind of wide, pass-leaning offense.

Now, if Fisher plans on using Cook as more of an in-line player with Tavon in the slot, that would help solve that problem slightly. But then the question becomes whether or not you're limiting Cook's effectiveness by putting him in-line at the snap.

Quote:
I also don't see any limits to what Austin can do from multiple formations. I think he can line up anywhere on the field. He proved that when he played tailback against Oklahoma for the first time and put up 344 rushing yards against them. He is a weapon and we can't have too many of them.
Okay, so how many rushing attempts are you giving him per game? Keep in mind Percy Harvin, whom Austin is sometimes compared to, has averaged merely two per game over his career as a pro.

As for him being able to line up and play on the outside at the NFL level, I did not see a lot while he was here at WVU that made me feel that would be a good fit or something you'd want to do more than every once in a while.

Look, I don't want it to sound like I'm down on the guy. I'm not. As a WVU fan, it'd be awesome if he was a Ram. I'm just spit-balling some concerns I have as a casual fan. I trust that if the Rams do draft him, it's because they've put a lot of thought into how they'd use him and have a plan to maximize his impact on the team.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I hear ya...is this guy a great fit? If we get this guy, how do we use this other guy? However...take a look at New England...they had Gronk, Hernandez and Welker last year and betweem the 3 of them they brought down over 220 receptions, virtually all of them over the middle. I think having the contrasting players running the same areas of the field is how you create the mismatch...it is how Austin ends up with a linebacker on him, or Cook with a slot corner on him.

I say we worry about having enough balls to go around when we are getting that kind of production from multiple guys in our passing game.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I hear ya...is this guy a great fit? If we get this guy, how do we use this other guy? However...take a look at New England...they had Gronk, Hernandez and Welker last year and betweem the 3 of them they brought down over 220 receptions, virtually all of them over the middle. I think having the contrasting players running the same areas of the field is how you create the mismatch...it is how Austin ends up with a linebacker on him, or Cook with a slot corner on him.

I say we worry about having enough balls to go around when we are getting that kind of production from multiple guys in our passing game.
Fair enough; I just don't see Jeff Fisher running a New England style offense.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Fair enough; I just don't see Jeff Fisher running a New England style offense.
Well, I wasn't suggesting that we would be changing our offense; just making a point that I think there is plenty of room on our roster for more weapons:-)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well, I wasn't suggesting that we would be changing our offense; just making a point that I think there is plenty of room on our roster for more weapons:-)
Right, but when I look at New England, I see a scheme that allows for three guys to run the majority of their routes from the slot. So while the Rams don't have to change schemes, they'll at least have to get more creative to use both of these guys to their max potential, should they draft Austin.

The key thing is, in the past, I probably wouldn't trust previous regimes to do this. But I have a lot of faith in Fisher, so if they draft Austin, I think it's because they know how to use him and are willing to do what it takes to maximize his ability. I'm just not smart enough to see the specifics of how they do it quite yet.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

What do you guys think would be a "surprise" selection in the first round? Last year I think EVERYONE was looking at CB and WR in the 1st, and it wasn't until 2-3 weeks before the draft that rumors started getting around that the Rams loved Fletcher Cox and it wasn't until then that people started projecting a Defensive Tackle to us.

Last year I really couldn't understand why Kuechly was considered a "reach" at #6 but a great pick for the Panthers a few picks later. I know not many are projecting a Linebacker to us, but we could go that route.
Closed Thread