Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Doug Martin is more explosive than Taylor. Taylor is more like a Green-Ellis, where he's not a home run hitter but he runs downhill and is a tough runner.
Agree w this. Taylor also takes an extra step or two when he changes direction -- isn't as dynamic as a Doug Martin Type.

Positives are that he can carry the load, he's tough between the tackles. Reminds me of a slower/less explosive Michael Turner.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor reminds me of a guy who'll latch on with a simple role and do well in it, but he's never going to be very impressive carrying the ball consistently enough to be a starter anywhere in his career. Does a bunch of things really well which I'm sure JG will like, really tough, just that I don't see much upside but depending on where he goes his team will be happy with him. I'd just rather gamble on somebody who I think is a more talented ball carrier and work with them on their blocking and the extra things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Taylor reminds me of a guy who'll latch on with a simple role and do well in it, but he's never going to be very impressive carrying the ball consistently enough to be a starter anywhere in his career. Does a bunch of things really well which I'm sure JG will like, really tough, just that I don't see much upside but depending on where he goes his team will be happy with him. I'd just rather gamble on somebody who I think is a more talented ball carrier and work with them on their blocking and the extra things.
Yes, agreed. Think Issac Redman.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Pretty much this. Another mark against him would be that Garrett has already stated he wants a shifty back. So the mold we are looking for is pretty much Felix Jones again. Shifty, capable out of the backfield catching the ball, and decent enough blocker to remain on the field on passing downs.

The more I watch of Kerwynn Williams (Utah State) the more I think he could be the type of selection we make. Fast, shifty, excellent hands, and has that burst you want to see coming out of breaks. Downside though is his size. He's a willing and able blocking mentally but gets over-powered. Same thing in his running if he isn't able to out-run or juke a defender he is going down. He doesn't have much in terms of power to move a pile or break tackles.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kerwynn Williams is a late round back I'm a fan of as well...he'll be a nice change-of-pace back

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Rev -- what have you seen that makes you think Phillip Thomas is a ballhawk?

I'm not disputing that, I'm curious

Everywhere I look has Phillip as a FS but as I've mentioned before I had an opportunity to speak with him a few weeks ago and he told me he sees himself as more of an in-the-box SS type. That's straight from the horses mouth.

And from the cut ups I've been able to watch, he spends more time in the box than he does deep.

Am I missing something?
Probably going by his stats.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's almost everyone though. Everyone I see comment on him says "true ballhawk FS"

I hope people aren't that lazy. If all you want is a pure ballhawking FS, I'd have to say Rambo is your guy. And that isn't just based on stats.

I'm just passing on to you guys what Phillip told me. Here's the convo for anyone that wants to see what he said.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those are legit concerns, but they have already been answered. We played a TON of zone coverage last season. This isn't anything foreign to our corners. If anything, I think Kiffin will get more out of them because his teams have done that consistently in the past. Yeah, we paid a pretty penny because of their man coverage ability, but that's not gonna hurt them. lol.

Our Safeties are definitely a concern. I think we'll get one in FA and one in the Draft.

Kiffin's age doesn't bother me one bit. Parcells was an old geezer and he turned this team around. I think Jerry hopes to have hit lightning in a bottle twice. Bringing in another scheme guru. Plus, if this works, I think Marinelli could be the next DC in waiting. Unlike the way Parcells left us high and dry.
The reason why I'd be concerned is simple, Kiffin's defense at USC showed nothing but disappointment and you have to wonder if a guy in his 70's still has the energy necessary to do the job. Age can catch up with talented coaches, you see it all the time on college teams, who stick with their successful coaches only to go down the drain with them, in the pros, it would be even more noticable.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
It's almost everyone though. Everyone I see comment on him says "true ballhawk FS"

I hope people aren't that lazy. If all you want is a pure ballhawking FS, I'd have to say Rambo is your guy. And that isn't just based on stats.

I'm just passing on to you guys what Phillip told me. Here's the convo for anyone that wants to see what he said.

I was going by the stats, but not just interceptions (which shows he has impressive hands for a defensive back), but tackles.

He only recorded 2 vs. Colorado
4 vs. San Diego State
4 vs. Wyoming
3 vs. New Mexico

In those 4 games he recorded 6 interceptions. Seems he excelled when not placed in the box in those games - and if he was in the box, why wasn't he making more plays in the running game?

8 interceptions shouldn't be ignored.

While I agree Rambo is a playmaker, he's also soft. Though if I was assured of Rambo in the 4th vs. Thomas in the 2nd, I could probably go for that.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
I was going by the stats, but not just interceptions (which shows he has impressive hands for a defensive back), but tackles.

He only recorded 2 vs. Colorado
4 vs. San Diego State
4 vs. Wyoming
3 vs. New Mexico

In those 4 games he recorded 6 interceptions. Seems he excelled when not placed in the box in those games - and if he was in the box, why wasn't he making more plays in the running game?

8 interceptions shouldn't be ignored.

While I agree Rambo is a playmaker, he's also soft. Though if I was assured of Rambo in the 4th vs. Thomas in the 2nd, I could probably go for that.
Yeah Rambo is case by case basis striker. He'll come in an lay a lick on WR's but he doesn't want to take on a RB coming out of the hole.

He's pretty much as pure of an FS as you're going to get. His skill set actually reminds me of Ed Reed. Not saying he is Ed Reed or has his instincts, just saying from an athletic/physical skill set standpoint.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The reason why I'd be concerned is simple, Kiffin's defense at USC showed nothing but disappointment and you have to wonder if a guy in his 70's still has the energy necessary to do the job. Age can catch up with talented coaches, you see it all the time on college teams, who stick with their successful coaches only to go down the drain with them, in the pros, it would be even more noticable.
The reason why I don't weigh what he did there a whole lot is because he had to dumb down his defense, dealt with a shortened roster, limited practices, limited contact, and faced gimmicky offenses that aren't used in the NFL.

Now that he's back in the NFL, I think he's back in his natural habitat where he can be successful again. You could say the NFL is starting to show some more read option attacks, but I don't think those offenses have sustainability. Watch what will happen this year. QBs who decide to run are gonna get HAMMERED back to reality. RG3 didn't even last the season. Let's see him come back with that ****. His career won't last 5 years. It'll be "Hello, Good Bye" just like the Wildcat was.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
The reason why I don't weigh what he did there a whole lot is because he had to dumb down his defense, dealt with a shortened roster, limited practices, limited contact, and faced gimmicky offenses that aren't used in the NFL.

Now that he's back in the NFL, I think he's back in his natural habitat where he can be successful again. You could say the NFL is starting to show some more read option attacks, but I don't think those offenses have sustainability. Watch what will happen this year. QBs who decide to run are gonna get HAMMERED back to reality. RG3 didn't even last the season. Let's see him come back with that ****. His career won't last 5 years. It'll be "Hello, Good Bye" just like the Wildcat was.
I saw an interview where TJ McDonald said Kiffin had to dumb down his defense because the players were having trouble with it.

That was another indication of the problems with McDonald. Kiffin's secondary scheme is supposedly very straight forward and not complex at all.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Yeah Rambo is case by case basis striker. He'll come in an lay a lick on WR's but he doesn't want to take on a RB coming out of the hole.

He's pretty much as pure of an FS as you're going to get. His skill set actually reminds me of Ed Reed. Not saying he is Ed Reed or has his instincts, just saying from an athletic/physical skill set standpoint.
I agree with that and I don't necessarily think Thomas would fit all schemes - and he's certainly probably not a pure centerfielder, but I think he could play either position in the cover 2. He lacks range on any highlights I've seen, but has good anticipation - which I think plays well at either position. Still though, I can't overstate the 8 ints or 5 forced fumbles really. He's a playmaker that our defense lacks outside of Lee
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Watched Cyprien's senior bowl game this morning for the first time. Got work in the slot and cover-1. Looked awesome, displays great range and reactions. Wish I had seen this earlier.

3 different DC's while at FIU and still managed to improve his game every year. Really impressive prospect.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Lattimore having much better pro day than expected. 3rd round entirely possible. Would love for the Cowboys to get him... Think a team will snag him up earlier than expected though.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I saw an interview where TJ McDonald said Kiffin had to dumb down his defense because the players were having trouble with it.

That was another indication of the problems with McDonald. Kiffin's secondary scheme is supposedly very straight forward and not complex at all.
Even Lane admitted that NCAA rules which limited the amount of time a could could work with his players had a negative effect.

"He's an old-school coach now," Lane Kiffin said. "He sleeps in the office. He doesn't understand what vacation means. He needs more time with the players because there are so many little rules in his defense to teach the guy. I don't think we played really fast on defense, and that's because we were thinking too much."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...a-allows.html/
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-where-belongs

INDIANAPOLIS – Pete Carroll counts Monte Kiffin as one of his most important mentors, and the Seattle Seahawks coach believes Kiffin is back where he belongs: in the NFL.

Kiffin spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee and Southern Cal with his son, Lane, as head coach and did not have the same success as he had in a 12-year run as Tampa Bay’s defensive coordinator.

The Cowboys hired Kiffin this offseason to replace Rob Ryan at defensive coordinator and implement the 4-3 scheme.

“I think he brings a tremendous wealth of knowledge and understanding, an extraordinary ability to analyze and evaluate and his communication skills with the players on this level,” Carroll said. “I think there was some issue for him in college that he was just so far out there with how he coached and what he understands and what it takes to play on this level that it didn’t translate as easily as he would’ve liked (in college). I think the Cowboys are lucky to get him, and I think he’ll be a great asset.”

Several players have said Kiffin told them to study Carroll’s defense in Seattle as a way the Cowboys would play in 2013, but when he met the local media last week Kiffin hedged.

“We play a similar scheme we have for years,” Kiffin said. “I was at the Bucs and Pete was at Southern Cal and we would talk all the time. We’ve kind of played that scheme. It just so happens that he’s at Seattle and they happened to play pretty well this year, but they do play some single-high safety and have some good corners that can bump. And we play cover-2 and they play cover-2. That’s where you hear about this Seattle deal. But we are also very much the Buccaneers, Chicago Bears, without a doubt.”

Carroll was a graduate assistant for Kiffin at Arkansas in 1977 and when Kiffin took over at N.C. State, Carroll became his defensive coordinator from 1980-82.

“We’re real disciplined to our scheme,” Carroll said. “We’ve always been a very, very disciplined group, and it stated way back when about doing things right and execution. It’s not just slugging guys and running around and hitting. You think it would be, but there’s a lot to it. So it’s a very disciplined approach to the game, play with speed whenever we can. A real aggressive style is how we’ve done it and all those kinds of phrases started with Coach Kiffin a long, long time ago for me.”
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@JasonLaCanfora: Cowboys will have a pre-draft visit with TCU WR Josh Boyce, a former high school teammate of RGIII
Another local prospect we will be looking at also reported Margnus Hunt will be at Dallas Day.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally don't get the love for Hunt. He's old. Isn't he like 27? And he's raw. So by the time he gets it, if he ever does, he'll already be 29.

Plus to be honest, he sucked something awful at the Senior Bowl. I wasn't impressed at all. I don't get the love.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I personally don't get the love for Hunt. He's old. Isn't he like 27? And he's raw. So by the time he gets it, if he ever does, he'll already be 29.

Plus to be honest, he sucked something awful at the Senior Bowl. I wasn't impressed at all. I don't get the love.
Same. I don't want anything to do with him.

Rather have Cornelius Washington. ;)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Same. I don't want anything to do with him.

Rather have Cornelius Washington. ;)
Hey hey hey! I called dibs on him awhile ago! Him and Jordan Hill. You can't have either.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Hey hey hey! I called dibs on him awhile ago! Him and Jordan Hill. You can't have either.
Now that we're back to the 4-3, we'll be scouting the same DL again and we can get jealous of each other more often. haha

As for Washington... I had mocked him to us in Feb in my first Mock Offseason. Except I think he's going higher than Round 6 now. LOL.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...8&#post3263738
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Hopefully you guys extend Spencer so i don't have to worry about it. I am nervous that you guys would look at Jordan Hill though. I love Jordan Hill, I think he's gonna be a mid round steal.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Cyprien is coming in for a visit -- just saw it on PFT

And from rotoworld, this is what Greg Cosell had to say about him:

Appearing on the Rich Eisen Podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International has a strong case to be the first safety selected in April's draft.
"This kid is really athletic," said Cosell. "When I watched him, I couldn't believe that he was 220 pounds and the way he moved. He had an interception against Louisville that was just unbelievable. He came from the middle of the field all the way to the sideline. For a second, it looked like Ed Reed. I don't think he'll be the first safety drafted, but I wouldn't have a problem if he was the first safety drafted." We expect Cyprien's draft window to begin at No. 18 with the Cowboys. The Rams at No. 22 could also be in play.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-27-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think him and Elam, along with Vaccaro are all going to end up 1st rounders when it's all said and done. I'm curious on what we plan to do if that scenario happens. Though I'm starting to believe we don't have to worry about it all that much because it looks like Safety is a glaring round 1 need, but if we take Cyprien or Elam over Warmack or Cooper I'm not gonna be happy. Our last few 1st rd picks have been a pleasant surprise so hopefully we don't blow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote