Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Don't want him at all.

The only round 1 pass rushers I like are Ansah, Jordan, and Mingo. If Tank is considered a round 1 guy I'd think about it.

But none of the 3 are gonna be there. And Tank is a risk in round 1.

Not a Montgomery, Jones, Werner fan. I do like Jamie Collins but not sure if he fits our scheme. Same with Mingo, although I can see a creative DC, aka not Perry Fewell, using him in a Von Miller role in a 43 defense.
I haven't made my mind up on Werner to be honest.

In the first round, I am really only liking a handful of guys.

Jordan, Joekel, Ansah, Milliner, Lotulelei, Fisher and Johnson will all be long gone

I have a hard time seeing a LB in the first round.

At this stage I think our top pick comes back to Vaccaro, Rhodes or Fluker unless someone slips to us.

I actually think Jamie Collins could be a possible option as a SLB.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is one guy reportedly on the NYG radar

Quote:
Lamar Mady piques New York Giants’ interest at pro day
Gil Brandt
By Gil Brandt |

Published: March 16th, 2013 | Tags: 2013 pro days, Lamar Mady, New York Giants, pro day, Youngstown State

Youngstown State held its pro day on March 5 indoors on FieldTurf. Twelve NFL teams sent representatives, which included the New York Giants’ offensive line coach, to watch five Penguins participate in the event.

Lamar Mady, OL (6-1 3/4, 317) — The Giants came specifically to watch Mady work out. Mady ran the 40-yard dash in 5.31 and 5.32 seconds. He did 26 reps on the bench at 225 pounds, ran the short-shuttle in 4.97 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.61 seconds. He looked good in an extensive workout.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/16/youn...st-at-pro-day/
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Another player on our draft radar

Quote:
Nick Kasa, TE (6-6, 267) — Kasa ran the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.18 seconds, and then stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine. He was worked out in the positional drills by New York Giants tight end coach Michael Pope. Former Colorado QB Tyler Hansen threw the ball to Kasa in his positional workout.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/18/desp...nfl-prospects/
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think right here right now, I have Xavier Rhodes and Kenny Vaccaro as my 2 guys that will be there at 19 that I really want.

Of course that can change on draft day bc I'm almost positive that a prospect that I didn't expect to fall will be there at 19 for us, but as of right now, Rhodes is my guy.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think right here right now, I have Xavier Rhodes and Kenny Vaccaro as my 2 guys that will be there at 19 that I really want.

Of course that can change on draft day bc I'm almost positive that a prospect that I didn't expect to fall will be there at 19 for us, but as of right now, Rhodes is my guy.
we have a new guy every other day haha. there's so many guys we can take or go with and will like/love. ****, i love the draft. this one is so interesting because it's so deep at positions we need, too.

I'm thinking I want Arthur Brown at 19 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
we have a new guy every other day haha. there's so many guys we can take or go with and will like/love. ****, i love the draft. this one is so interesting because it's so deep at positions we need, too.

I'm thinking I want Arthur Brown at 19 now.
I love Brown at 19 too. I'm secretly praying he's there in the 2nd round for us but probably not.

I can literally name like 20 guys I'd want with the 19th pick. I almost feel like just lighting a cigar, and being like "Reese do what Reese do" on my sofa when explaining the pick to my family and just enjoying the draft.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is a list of draft prospects we have met with (there may be others)

from http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/30/...aft-prospects/

Current List:

Luke Batton, LB, Kent State (INT)
Mike Catapano, DL, Princeton (PRI)
DeWayne Cherrington, DL, Mississippi State (PRO)
Matt Furstenburg, TE, Maryland (PRI)
Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado (PRO)
Lamar Mady, OL, Youngstown State (INT)
Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook (PRI)
Brendan Melanophy, DB, Fordham (PRO)
Trent Steelman, WR, Army (EW)
Chance Warmack, OL, Alabama (PRI)
Brian Winters, OL, Kent State (SR)
Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (PRI)

Short codes: SR – Senior Bowl, EW – East-West Shrine, INT – Interested, PRO – Pro Day, PRI – Private Workout.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love Brown at 19 too. I'm secretly praying he's there in the 2nd round for us but probably not.

I can literally name like 20 guys I'd want with the 19th pick. I almost feel like just lighting a cigar, and being like "Reese do what Reese do" on my sofa when explaining the pick to my family and just enjoying the draft.
That's what makes the Giants suck a solid drafting team, the ability to remain flexable on draft day and take what the draft offers and not be fixed on any draft prospect. It is always very tough to project their pick but it is usally a solid selection.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have been thinking about our options in the first round and how that impacts the draft.

I think it is a real possibility that our top tier targets (eg Ansah, Jordan, Johnson, Vaccaro, Rhodes etc) are all gone before 19.

Sure we have options like Fluker and maybe Warmack or Cooper, but that doesn't seem to be how we tend to view linemen. I would like it to happen, but not sure it would, particularly with a deep draft class like this one. I could easily see us passing on these three and taking someone like Barrett Jones or Justin Pugh on day two.

I guess Tyler Eifert could be an option, but the position is not a priority for us, we have done well with solid guys and there is options in the mid rounds.

The one player that seems to be an ideal fit to be is Arthur Brown, he seems to be the difference maker we need and could be the best option at a need position for us.

I will admit that I didn't see the giants going with LB in the draft purely based on draft history, but after consideration that should be caveated.

Sure we haven't drafted a LB in the first round since Banks, we have prioritised LB at times, particularly MLB when we need something of overhaul on defense. 'Recent' examples are when we brought in Mike Barrow and Antonio Pierce in free agency with what were substantial contracts.This year we need an overhaul at MLB, but have limited cap room.

While we have a few positions we would like to upgrade, we don't have a ton of glaring needs, Reese has done a good job of plugging our more serious holes.

I do think Arthur Brown could be a Giant, it would be a significant change in draft trend for us. But the same happend last year when we drafted a first round RB despite a low positional value draft wise and a history of us being productive with later round picks.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I have so many prospects to look over, but I'm lazy now. I don't care anymore. Whatever, let the draft come already.

Tank grew on me btw. So I wouldn't hate it if we took him in the 1st. As long as we can figure out that first step.

But I'm pretty much tired of looking at prospects. Whatever. Its not like we get paid to do it.

Let the draft come already. The offseason is so damn slow.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I hear you BBD

There is plenty of info out there on the prospects, we pretty much know how they shape up.

We also have a fair idea of how teams rosters shape up after free agency as we head into the draft.

I am currently interested in draft strategy and how we are likely to draft. Naturally there will be the usual draft day surprises, but I think we have a fair idea of how it generally could unfold.

There is a lot of fluidity this year in the draft.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The logical thing to do is sit pretty at 19 and just take whoever falls to us, but for some reason I get a sneaking suspicion that Reese is gonna move up for someone.

And it's gonna be a person none of us ever had on our radar.

Just a hunch. I have no evidence for it, nor do I really want that to happen, but for some reason I just feel it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they will just stay at 19 and take whoever falls to them, there isn't a whole lot of difference in he grading between the 5th pick and the 25th pick so why give up picks to trade up unless somebody, they really love, is still there within a few picks of the selection, then a small trade up might take place, but it's hard to give up picks in this deep draft especially when many teams need to carry a lot of rookies to meet the cap in an era where the cap is flat.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The only player I'd move up for is Ansah. And I don't think he'll fall. Nor do I really want to move up and give up our 2nd rounder for him, bc the value in the 2nd round is tremendous.

The Cowboys moved from mid teens to 6 last year giving up their 1st and 2nd. I believe the cost of moving up for us would be the same. And to me it's not worth it.

I would prefer to sit pretty, I think that's what we should do. But you never know. Reese can throw a curveball at you any time. He's never moved up for a player in the first 2 rounds, and rarely ever trades out of his picks to begin with (I believe he's only done it once in 6 years). It's almost like he's due, you know?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Arthur Brown

I love him. If he is going to be our first pick though, we better be trading down. I can see Matt Barkley's drop as that trade opportunity.
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

There are a few players I would be ok trading up for but Ansah makes the most sense.

I would be ok giving up a second if we needed to, I think Ansah is a rare takent and such a great fit. But we can get great value at 19. Another option is to see how it plays out, this is a deep draft at DE, Ansah is raw so his LTI is out there a little plus there are only a few teams after a 4/3 DE. I could see us packaging our third to move up if Ansah slides.

Trading down could be an option, particularly if someone wanted one of those top tier Oline, they know they will have to jump Chicago.

Then there is the wild card situations which can't be predicted. For example if the Cruz situation becomes untenable (and we should know by april 19), then maybe we could package him with our first to move up and get another pick.

With Reese anything and everything is on the table.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The princeton DE intrgues me. Capatelli or whatever. Great production, high motor, great measurables, was productive when facing stiffer comp.

He may have some Jared Allen in him. Or KVB. Not saying he will be that, but I'm intrigued.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have so many prospects to look over, but I'm lazy now. I don't care anymore. Whatever, let the draft come already.

Tank grew on me btw. So I wouldn't hate it if we took him in the 1st. As long as we can figure out that first step.

But I'm pretty much tired of looking at prospects. Whatever. Its not like we get paid to do it.

Let the draft come already. The offseason is so damn slow.
Ha! I knew Tank'd get you eventually, now hopefully he doesn't turn out like other prospects I've championed that y'all have shat on like Brian Price.

With JR i don't really worry about the draft but tank's one of the prospects I have actually seen some games of, and I see special talent in him, and we have the coaching staff to bring it out.

Quote:
The princeton DE intrgues me. Capatelli or whatever. Great production, high motor, great measurables, was productive when facing stiffer comp.

He may have some Jared Allen in him. Or KVB. Not saying he will be that, but I'm intrigued.
Reminds me more of Kampman or wOsi...

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 04-05-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I was a huge Kampman fan so if he's that, I'm totally on board. I need to scout him.

But I'm so sick of the draft right now. I just want it to come already. Enough is enough. God I hate the offseason.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just kidding with the white guy to white guy comparison. All I know about him is his mom has an account and a thread in the draft forum.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Catapano is a guy I find interesting as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Looking at how I see the second round shaping out, there aren't a lot of options that excite me. I think most of the top guys we like from the 1/2 range will be gone and that the options will be similar to the guys available in the third round.

I am thinking it could be worth considering trading up in the first for a stud player at a premium position. Two guys I think could be worth it are Ezekiel Ansah and Lane Johnson.

There are decent guys around #19. The other option could be trading up in the second round, if we package #49 and #81, that gives us value around #31. At 31 there are likely a lot of prospects that we really like at need positions.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I actually like the 2nd round more than the 1st round. I think there's gonna be a lot of good talent that falls in the 2nd and we can go in a # of directions.

Logan Ryan
Kyle Long
Arthur Brown
Xavier Gooden
Kasim Greene
Larry Warford
Brandon Williams

Just to name a few off the top of my head. There's a ton of players that will be there, and I'm almost positive that a good 3 to 4 prospects that I didn't expect to be there will be there when we pick in the 2nd round.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think Arthur Brown goes in the first or top of the second.

Gooden, Greene, Ryan, Warford, Williams are all late second/third round talent.

I do like Kyle Long as an option in the second.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I have a feeling Kyle Long sneaks into the 1st round. Or early 2nd. I'd love him but I don't think he'll be there.

Brown is more wishful thinking for me.