Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAFan View Post
I like this list but now that Jones has had a lousy Pro Day any way he drops like a stone and we follow suit by trading down for some later picks?
I'm cool with Mingo as well, I'd just like to see us get a great defensive player ready to contribute but also pick up some later round picks.
I would love to trade down. To me, that should be our #1 choice.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What would y'all think of this:

1. DE Bjoern Werner
3. WR Tavarres King
4. OT Reid Fragel
5. NT T.J. Barnes
6. ILB Vince Williams

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
What would y'all think of this:

1. DE Bjoern Werner
3. WR Tavarres King
4. OT Reid Fragel
5. NT T.J. Barnes
6. ILB Vince Williams
not nuts about it. I dont think King is worth a 5th round pick let alone a third round pick personally. Werner could work but its a big projection iyam. The only pick i really like is Fragel in the fourth

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im just not a big fan of the Werner to OLB thing personally. You can compare athletically, but me I would rather have a freak athlete like Mingo.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whose playing LT for you guys, with the loss of Bushrod, LT may be a real sore point for NO?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Whose playing LT for you guys, with the loss of Bushrod, LT may be a real sore point for NO?
not a certainty yet, charles brown ought to be the heir apparent (2nd rounder 3 years ago) but who really knows. keep in mind though that the saints are probably the easiest team in the NFL to play LT for, not really a premium position in our system like it is in most other systems

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Bryant McKinnie is a big option.... A guy I said I would be okay with on a one year rental.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
not a certainty yet, charles brown ought to be the heir apparent (2nd rounder 3 years ago) but who really knows. keep in mind though that the saints are probably the easiest team in the NFL to play LT for, not really a premium position in our system like it is in most other systems
I think the blindside LT is always a primary position for a pass first team. I think it would be a very high priority for the Saints, but you could be right, they may feel Charles Brown is ready for the position.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think the blindside LT is always a primary position for a pass first team. I think it would be a very high priority for the Saints, but you could be right, they may feel Charles Brown is ready for the position.
In our offense, its our Guards who are the main OL (Which is why we have two big priced guards in Evans and Grubbs.) Where Brees is short and we are a quick strike offense, Drew needs the middle of the pocket to be able to throw while seeing. Thats why we have had multiple OTs (Brown, Strief, Bushrod, Stinchcomb, etc) and Centers (Faine, Goodwin, de le Puente) and still continue to do well.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got to cover LSU's Pro Day at work today and got to interview several former LSU players, including defensive end (and Scott's pick for New Orleans) Barkevious Mingo.

I have to say I was very impressed with his poise in his interview with all the media outlets that covered the event. I asked him what how he would like to play for the Saints.

His response: "Growing up in Louisiana ... you grow up watching Saints football. It's just a dream come true to make it to this level."

He was a real nice down-to-Earth guy when I talked to him after his interview segment was over. I, myself, would not mind it if the Saints picked him in April.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my latest mock draft that should go live tomorrow:

1. Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU
3. Trevardo Williams, OLB, UConn
4. Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
5. Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio St.
6. Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi St.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I just want to throw this out here and get everyone's thoughts on it. What would you think about the Saints going BPA and drafting Matt Barkley in the 1st round? The team needs a back-up QB and an heir apparent to Drew Brees. It would be similar to what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers. Thoughts?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
I just want to throw this out here and get everyone's thoughts on it. What would you think about the Saints going BPA and drafting Matt Barkley in the 1st round? The team needs a back-up QB and an heir apparent to Drew Brees. It would be similar to what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers. Thoughts?
any offensive player that isnt a OT in the first round would make me go apeshit. The thought isnt as bad as picking a running back or a wideout in the first but still id hate the option

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
aregand
Rookie

aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.aregand wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I think he is a 3rd round prospect myself but some may take a chance earlier. USC QB's haven't had a good track record and I don't see him changing that.
aregand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doubt we'd draft Matt Barkley, period, but now especially after we signed former Falcons backup quarterback Luke McCown.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think he would be BPA, especially in the first.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Here are some Saints draft anecdotes during the Sean Payton/Mickey Loomis era:

The Saints have only drafted 1 C-USA player during the Loomis/Payton era: P Thomas Morstead

During the Loomis/Payton era, the Saints have never drafted a player from the Sun Belt Conference or the WAC

In the 6 years where the Saints have had a 1st round pick, Loomis/Payton have drafted 3 Pac-12 players, 2 SEC, 1 ACC, & 1 B1G.

The 1 Big12 player drafted by the Saints was Carl Nicks from Nebraska in 2008.

Saints have drafted 6 players each from the Pac-12 & ACC, 5 from the SEC, 4 from the Big East, and only 1 from the Big12

Loomis/Payton love drafting players from the B1G. In 7 years they have drafted a combined 11 players from the B1G

The Saints drafted small school (non-FBS) players in 2006, 2007, & 2012. Four year period where they didn't draft a single one

In 7 years of Loomis/Payton drafting for the #Saints there's only been 1 year where they didn't draft a B1G player: 2010

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is my draft in the final forum mock with the areas left listed below.

15 - DE Barkevious Mingo, Louisiana St.
81 - FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California
109 - LB Chase Thomas, Stanford
144 - CB Dwayne Gratz, Connecticut
183 - OT Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin
187 - WR Marquess Wilson, Washington St.
225 - LB Phillip Steward, Houston

TBD - Undrafted Free Agency
TBD - June 1st Cuts
TBD - Free Agency (Secondary Phase)
TBD - Deadline for all 32 Teams to be under the cap
TBD - Final Offseason Grades
TBD - 2013-14 Season Predictions
TBD - 1st Round 2014 NFL Draft

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't really been around this Off-season, but I must say I'm really pumped for this Draft... looks like we're in Prime position to land a Difference maker with a solid Draft for Defensive prospects.

Quick question though what do you guys think of the thought of us taking Tank Carradine from FSU? In a recent workout he showed that he's on the path to fully recovering from his knee injury and he's a really athletic, versatile pass rusher, who is a big time hitter, solid tackler. It seemed like when he was in the lineup teams really had to account for him the most on FSU's D-line even with Werner playing opposite of him. He could be a big riser, and might go a lot earlier than expected.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Haven't really been around this Off-season, but I must say I'm really pumped for this Draft... looks like we're in Prime position to land a Difference maker with a solid Draft for Defensive prospects.

Quick question though what do you guys think of the thought of us taking Tank Carradine from FSU? In a recent workout he showed that he's on the path to fully recovering from his knee injury and he's a really athletic, versatile pass rusher, who is a big time hitter, solid tackler. It seemed like when he was in the lineup teams really had to account for him the most on FSU's D-line even with Werner playing opposite of him. He could be a big riser, and might go a lot earlier than expected.
not at 15, dont think he is a first round quality player if you ask me

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so anyone else think that the Saints draftboard is kind of screwed now that the Jets have the Bucs first round pick?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
not at 15, dont think he is a first round quality player if you ask me
Just out of curiosity, only because you poo-poo a lot of people other Saints fan like, who do YOU like at 15?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless something changes, I am going to be very surprised that we get lucky enough to draft Mingo.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, only because you poo-poo a lot of people other Saints fan like, who do YOU like at 15?
i really hope we get lucky enough to have one of the following fall to us

Lane Johnson (not a huge fan), Jarvis Jones, Keke Mingo or Star

this is under the assumption that Fisher, Joeckel, Jordan, Milliner and Ansah will never ever fall

Basically take the top defensive player or OT that fits a 3-4 (so no Richardson or Floyd).

That being said unless one of the guys above fall i would really like to trade down

two options id really not be all that happy with if one of the guys above is still available but which i could stomach if they are all gone and no trade is possible would be werner and rhodes

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Crazy 2013 Saints draft predictions - Let's hear 'em.