Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

As of right now:

1. Seattle Seahawks
2. Denver Broncos
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. Atlanta Falcons
5. Cincinnati Bengals
6. New England Patriots
7. New Orleans Saints
8. Green Bay Packers
9. Houston Texans
10. Chicago Bears
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The Packers have to shore up that defense. Their defense is awful. And it's one of the worst tackling defenses I ever seen.
I'd take the talent on the Packers defense over the talent on the Giants defense right now.

With the regression and age of Corey Webster, the Giants have one good DB left on their team- Prince Amukamara, and he's not even a top-10 caliber CB.

With the exodus of Umenyiora and Canty and the regression and age of Tuck, the Giants basically have two good players left on their D-Line: Pierre Paul and Joseph, who are both very good run stoppers with average to slightly above average pass rush ability.

The Giants LBers are basically all garbage.

The Packers have at least two good DBs out of the following group depending on who has a "good season" at the moment: Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Morgan Burnett. And Casey Hayward was the best DB from last year's draft class. He might not be elite going forward but he certainly was elite for a rookie CB.

Clay Matthews is still an elite talent rushing the passer and "good" vs the run. I'd obviously take him over anyone on the Giants defense. I like Nick Perry's potential but that's all he is right now: potential. Their DL is average with the potential to be above average depending on the growth and development of that kid from Michigan State.

AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop are solid as ILBers, and clearly better than any of the LBers on the Giants roster.

Last edited by AcheTen (Thumper) : 03-28-2013 at 12:07 PM.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice try troll. Go play that game with someone else.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nice try troll. Go play that game with someone else.
For real. You didn't mention the Giants once and that had nothing to do with your argument. Talk about going out of your way.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
For real. You didn't mention the Giants once and that had nothing to do with your argument. Talk about going out of your way.
It's ok, he's trying really hard to tell people JPP isn't any good and will use any opportunity to tell anyone and everyone why.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Peyton is less talented now? What did you watch last season? He had one of his best years! You can't convince me that there are 7 other teams you like to win the Super Bowl. Try. Please try.
1. 49ers - seemed primed for a huge season if Kaepernick can produce again
2. Broncos - not a threat in the playoffs but a regular season giant
3. Packers - always a threat with Rodgers around
4. Patriots - could be improved with a young defense
5. Giants - should bounce back with the SB winner off their backs
6. Seahawks - looks solid on paper but Wilson may find the league tougher
7. Bears - really like their offense for the coming season
8. Falcons - lost some talent, have to see if they have enough to repeat

I have no trouble naming 7 even without Baltimore. I believe any of the teams above minus Denver have a decent shop at winning the SB but I still see Denver as the #2 regular season team. I have a hard time believing that you don't think these 7 have at least a realistic shot even if you love Denver.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
It's ok, he's trying really hard to tell people JPP isn't any good and will use any opportunity to tell anyone and everyone why.
I think that JPP is a good player but the hype surrounding him was out of control after 2011.

He's a top-10 run defender at DE, but much less of a pass rusher than people think. According to Profootballfocus.com, his career Pass Rush Productivity is merely slightly above average. Of course, PFF gives him high run defense grades.

Anyway, Pierre Paul and Joseph are definitely good players on that DLine. But the question is: who else is there? Osi is gone, Tuck is kind of a shell of his former self, and the rest are just bodies.

And with Corey Webster looking like he's done as a CB, where does the secondary stand?

The two big-time strengths of the 2011 defense during that playoff run were: A.) Excellent secondary play primarily due to Kenny Phillips, Antrelle Rolle, Corey Webster and Aaron Ross and B.) great DLine play due to Pierre Paul, Umenyiora, Joseph, Canty and Tuck.

How much of that is still there? Phillips is gone from the secondary and Webster is toast, and Ross came back but he's alot older now. Rolle is up-and-down. I like Amukamara but that's about it right now.

On the DLine, obviously, you still have Pierre Paul and Joseph, who are certainly good to very good players, but nothing else now that Osi is gone, Canty is gone, and Tuck looks kind of done.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcmRulz View Post
8. Green Bay (they're aging, but Rodgers is still there, Clay Matthews can still perform to Clay Matthews standards, and the offense is still great)
Green Bay is aging? That's a new one. Care to elaborate? If anything, they should be better a year older because of how young they are.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post

I have no trouble naming 7 even without Baltimore. I believe any of the teams above minus Denver have a decent shop at winning the SB but I still see Denver as the #2 regular season team. I have a hard time believing that you don't think these 7 have at least a realistic shot even if you love Denver.

So the Bears have a better chance to win the SB then the Broncos do? How does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The argument wasn't that there aren't 7 teams that could win the SB. It was 7 teams that have a better shot at winning it than Denver.

If we're just going to talk about Peyton's playoff record than I'm not going to go any further with this discussion. Especially if you're trusting the likes of Cutler, and Wilson over him.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. San Fran
2. NE
3. Denver
4. Green Bay
5. Houston
6. Atlanta
7. Seattle
8. New Orleans
9. Washington (if RG3 is ready)
10. NYG
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
So the Bears have a better chance to win the SB then the Broncos do? How does that make sense?
Of course, it is only my opinion, but based on Peyton's playoff performances over a long career, it is my belief that he simply isn't a great QB once the playoffs begin, he is rather mediocre if you look at his playoff wins and loses.
I'm not contesting that he is a great regular season QB's, the wins and loses in the regular season games bear this out but he is simply a different performer once the playoffs start.

I see the Bear's offense as being SB ready, the addition of Bushrod at LT has solidified their whole OL and should give them a solid run at the championship game. Not guaranteeing they will make it there but I believe they have a solid shot, while I believe Peyton will do he usual performance, a lot of wins in the regular season, only to lose in the playoffs.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The argument wasn't that there aren't 7 teams that could win the SB. It was 7 teams that have a better shot at winning it than Denver.

If we're just going to talk about Peyton's playoff record than I'm not going to go any further with this discussion. Especially if you're trusting the likes of Cutler, and Wilson over him.
Well, if you are ruling out Peyton's past performances in the playoffs, there is obviously a part of you as a Denver fan, that want to believe and nothing I can say is likely to change your mind.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of course, it is only my opinion, but based on Peyton's playoff performances over a long career, it is my belief that he simply isn't a great QB once the playoffs begin, he is rather mediocre if you look at his playoff wins and loses.
I'm not contesting that he is a great regular season QB's, the wins and loses in the regular season games bear this out but he is simply a different performer once the playoffs start.

I see the Bear's offense as being SB ready, the addition of Bushrod at LT has solidified their whole OL and should give them a solid run at the championship game. Not guaranteeing they will make it there but I believe they have a solid shot, while I believe Peyton will do he usual performance, a lot of wins in the regular season, only to lose in the playoffs.
So a Bronco fan thinking its ridiculous that you think they won't win the Super Bowl because of a W/L record of Peyton Manning in the playoffs, not mentioning that most of the time the Colts lost to the eventual Super Bowl champions most years. Patriots twice, Ravens last year, Saints in the Super Bowl. Yeah.
Then you go on about how the Bears suddenly will have a Super Bowl offense. Because Jay Cutler is such an amazing and consitent QB, Matt Forte never gets hurt, and the OL will suddenly be somewhat decent.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
So a Bronco fan thinking its ridiculous that you think they won't win the Super Bowl because of a W/L record of Peyton Manning in the playoffs, not mentioning that most of the time the Colts lost to the eventual Super Bowl champions most years. Patriots twice, Ravens last year, Saints in the Super Bowl. Yeah.
Then you go on about how the Bears suddenly will have a Super Bowl offense. Because Jay Cutler is such an amazing and consitent QB, Matt Forte never gets hurt, and the OL will suddenly be somewhat decent.
Not to mention that Jay Cutler has taken his team to the postseason 1 out of 11 times as a collegiate and professional QB. Yet he's far more likely to be able to win the SB over the guy who has actually won the SB.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Packers have to shore up that defense. Their defense is awful. And it's one of the worst tackling defenses I ever seen.
I agree...... what do you mean one of the worst tackling defenses. Name a worse tackling one....... I mean we made Colin Kaepernick look like Usain Bolt. Nobody touched Kaepernick and he ran for 200 yards.
Peterson also had more success against this defense than against any other defense in his career, going back to I think facing Baylor or Kansas State.

They do a fine job against Matt Forte always though.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

I can't believe how everyone's consensus #1 team is the 49ers.

What have we seen in the past 30+ years with teams that lose the Super Bowl, and how they do the following season?

http://football.about.com/od/histo2/...nersuccess.htm

Sure, their offense looked new and invigorated with Kaepernick at the end, but a.) can he sustain it now that defenses will have more ammunition to defend the option and b.) is he a legit QB going forward and not just a "flash in the pan".

And even if the offense is great going forward, which is possible given the quality of their offensive line and skill positions - can the defense keep pace? This team won't be competing for a Super Bowl title ever again if the defense is mediocre.

A team that, for the past two years, has been known for their excellent special teams play and tough defense... two of the most unsustainable things in football, especially with an older roster (on defense) depending on a few key superstar-caliber players (Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Dashon Goldson) that either have left in free agency like Goldson or are older and injury-prone (Smith).
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
I can't believe how everyone's consensus #1 team is the 49ers.

What have we seen in the past 30+ years with teams that lose the Super Bowl, and how they do the following season?

http://football.about.com/od/histo2/...nersuccess.htm

Sure, their offense looked new and invigorated with Kaepernick at the end, but a.) can he sustain it now that defenses will have more ammunition to defend the option and b.) is he a legit QB going forward and not just a "flash in the pan".

And even if the offense is great going forward, which is possible given the quality of their offensive line and skill positions - can the defense keep pace? This team won't be competing for a Super Bowl title ever again if the defense is mediocre.

A team that, for the past two years, has been known for their excellent special teams play and tough defense... two of the most unsustainable things in football, especially with an older roster (on defense) depending on a few key superstar-caliber players (Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Dashon Goldson) that either have left in free agency like Goldson or are older and injury-prone (Smith).
The defense has been the one of the 2 best in the league for 2+ seasons with a number of dynamic pro-bowl quality players. They have some quality starters who don't get mentioned all that much like McDonald, Culliver, and Brooks. That defense isn't going anywhere, and to suggest that it is going to because they lost one good safety and one player is getting older is pretty much a prayer on your part.

San Fran will be fine, and is still an ascending team.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Seattle is my #1 team, but you can't ignore how talented SF is. The most talented team doesn't always go to the SB. Just bc they probably won't make it doesn't mean they're not ridiculously talented.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
The defense has been the one of the 2 best in the league for 2+ seasons with a number of dynamic pro-bowl quality players. They have some quality starters who don't get mentioned all that much like McDonald, Culliver, and Brooks. That defense isn't going anywhere, and to suggest that it is going to because they lost one good safety and one player is getting older is pretty much a prayer on your part.
Defense fluctuates from year-to-year far more than offense.

Defense that is predicated upon a top-heavy list of elite starters, like the 49ers defense, stands a much greater chance of regression than other defenses.

I will honestly be shocked if their defense is still top-10 next year. In fact, I'd bet money that they don't finish in the top-10 in defense next year.

That doesn't mean they can't be a playoff team, especially if their offense is good, which it could very well be. But there are too many variables and factors into what makes an elite defense to just pencil them in year-after-year as a top-5 unit.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Defense that is predicated upon a top-heavy list of elite starters, like the 49ers defense, stands a much greater chance of regression than other defenses.

I will honestly be shocked if their defense is still top-10 next year. In fact, I'd bet money that they don't finish in the top-10 in defense next year.

That doesn't mean they can't be a playoff team, especially if their offense is good, which it could very well be. But there are too many variables and factors into what makes an elite defense to just pencil them in year-after-year as a top-5 unit.
It's not like the 49ers defense is 3-4 guys holding up a bunch of scrubs. It's well balanced throughout. You just don't know any details about the 49ers D because up until a couple of days ago you thought Manny Lawson was still on the team. It's still a defense consisting of 9 starters that have been proven to be a top 2 defense for the past 2 seasons. They also have 14 draft picks to fill out their holes at safety and NT. The 49ers will be absolutely fine on defense.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 03-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I don't your argument at all. Players like Smith still have their best days ahead of them, SF, if injuries don't raise their head, is almost a cinch to be a top 10 defense next year, likely top 5 if not the best. Good defensive teams tend to stay that way for quite awhile unless they were old like Baltimore's which isn't the case with the 49ers.

The only question mark for San Fran is what Kaepernick will we see next year, will he be as effective as he was in the latter part of last season, or will he fall back, now that the expectations are all on him to be great.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
It's not like the 49ers defense is 3-4 guys holding up a bunch of scrubs. It's well balanced throughout. You just don't know any details about the 49ers D because up until a couple of days ago you thought Manny Lawson was still on the team. It's still a defense consisting of 9 starters that have been proven to be a top 2 defense for the past 2 seasons. They also have 14 draft picks to fill out their holes at safety and NT. The 49ers will be absolutely fine on defense.
Elite starters:

- Justin Smith
- Navarro Bowman
- Patrick Willis

Good starters:

- Ray McDonald
- Ahmad Brooks
- Aldon Smith

Average to Mediocre players made to look better by scheme/talent around them:

- Carlos Rogers
- Cris Culliver
- Donte Whitner
- Terrell Brown
- Perrish Cox

Gone from team:
- Dashon Goldson (best DB in their secondary)
- Isaac Sopoaga (average rotational player)
- Ricky Jean Francious (solid rotational player)

Basically speaking, their entire DB outside of Goldson was pretty scrubby to average at best. Now that Goldson's gone, they're entirely dependent on their front seven to cover up their secondary. And Justin Smith is far and away the best player in their front seven, and as an older more injury-prone player, we saw what happened to the SF defense in the latter half of the year after his injury. What happens if Justin Smith is on the decline, which is highly likely given his age? I only like Ray McDonald of the others on that defensive line, and he's just a "good" player.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
So you aren't saying they are top 3 or 4, but are absolutely top 5 and easily could be the best.

I said the Packers are clearly, without question in my opinion, a top 5 team in the NFL. I would accept arguments placing the top 5 teams in ANY order, frankly, but I think the top 5 teams are the 49ers, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos and Packers. I personally like the Packers the best out of that group, but that's only because I think they're all pretty equal and I'm a homer.

So to simplify my opinion so you can understand it; Packers top 5 team. Top 5 teams interchangeable. I think Packers best.

So maybe you misread that, I'm not sure. But there you go.

And yes, I would most certainly take the Packers defensive talent over the Giants. Matthews is better than anyone on their roster, although I do like JPP, and the Packers have a deep group of cornerbacks and a lot of young players with high ceilings. Nick Perry, Morgan Burnett, Brad Jones, Dezman Moses, Jerel Worthy, Mike Daniels, Jerrod McMillian all have potential to me. Desmond Bishop, one of our better defensive players and tacklers will be back.

The Giants were 31st and yards and 13th in ppg allowed last year. The Packers were 11th in both. Yet the Packers are younger. Weird. I think I win that argument!

And if we're not bringing the Giants into it, the Packers were still 11th in the league in defense in both the main categories (8th in ints and 4th in sacks.)

But you're right. Stats are absolutely meaningless. Even if you're a very young defense missing 3 defensive starters and do decently/above average in every main defensive statistical category you must not have any talent. Thank you for clearing that up. The Packers have no hope on defense. With young players and dreadfully finishing at 11th in yards, 11th in points, 8th in interceptions and 4th in sacks for the year the Packers suck. You win, good sir.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 03-31-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
As of right now:

1. Seattle Seahawks
2. Denver Broncos
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. Atlanta Falcons
5. Cincinnati Bengals
6. New England Patriots
7. New Orleans Saints
8. Green Bay Packers
9. Houston Texans
10. Chicago Bears
Bengal Cheerleader?
What could possibly have gotten you to list the Bungles ahead of the Packers, Patriots, Texans?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote