Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about our defense. I expect us to have a top 3 offense in the leauge. Our offense is going to be dangerous this year if healthy.

But our defense...I'll be happy if it's middle of the pack. We don't have a lot of talent on defense. That's why I want to see these young guys get some reps so we know what we have moving forward. This defense needs a complete makeover for the most part and we have some young pieces I'm very interested in seeing (Hosely, Will Hill, JWill, Tracy, Ojomo, Austin, Kuhn) and if they can develop, that will answer a lot of questions for us. But I hate that some of these guys will rot behind patchwork veterans ahead of them.

That's why I'm not a fan of some of our signings.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh, if that's the case then that is Coughlin/Fewell's fault, BBD. Reese is doing his job by bringing in depth and stop gaps. If the coaches are foolish enough to plug these guys in over young guys that is their own stupidity.

I'm not sure what to expect defensively. It's really going to depend on the draft and how well some of our young guys BBD alluded to step up.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the thing though. As GM, you know Coughlin is gonna start the vets over the young guys. Especially when these guys signed 1 year contracts to reestablish themselves on the market.

I rather leave Coughlin no choice but to start the young guys. That's really the only way he does. You know Coughlin loves his veterans.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's the thing though. As GM, you know Coughlin is gonna start the vets over the young guys. Especially when these guys signed 1 year contracts to reestablish themselves on the market.

I rather leave Coughlin no choice but to start the young guys. That's really the only way he does. You know Coughlin loves his veterans.
Well that's the GM-Hc dynamic in play. TC is not Reese's hire. I am sure privately, Reese could say, hey, I get all these player and you play veterans. I am sure that may bother Reese, but that's the thing. You have a HC who you did not hire, and thus can't 100% stamp your identity on the team because you can't hire your own HC. And on top of that the guy won 2 SBs, and won't retire, lol. So you are stuck in just keeping whatever annoyance or anger, inside.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Well that's the GM-Hc dynamic in play. TC is not Reese's hire. I am sure privately, Reese could say, hey, I get all these player and you play veterans. I am sure that may bother Reese, but that's the thing. You have a HC who you did not hire, and thus can't 100% stamp your identity on the team because you can't hire your own HC. And on top of that the guy won 2 SBs, and won't retire, lol. So you are stuck in just keeping whatever annoyance or anger, inside.
Keep in mind though, that Reese was hired before Coughlin was retained, and part of the reason why they hired Reese was because he was willing to give Coughlin more time. He didn't want to blow the team up, and ownership wanted to stay the course as well. That's why they promoted a GM from within who has a working relationship with the HC and kept the HC.

So while he wasn't a direct hire, I'm sure Reese gets along with TC. Every marriage (for a lack of better word) isn't perfect. You'll have disagreements. I wouldn't view it as any internal beef btw the 2.

Especially since Coughlin was a former GM (Jacksonville) and is still heavily involved player aquisition. Coughlin is a very good evaluator of talent and developer of talent. That's probably his best traits as a HC to be honest.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Keep in mind though, that Reese was hired before Coughlin was retained, and part of the reason why they hired Reese was because he was willing to give Coughlin more time. He didn't want to blow the team up, and ownership wanted to stay the course as well. That's why they promoted a GM from within who has a working relationship with the HC and kept the HC.

So while he wasn't a direct hire, I'm sure Reese gets along with TC. Every marriage (for a lack of better word) isn't perfect. You'll have disagreements. I wouldn't view it as any internal beef btw the 2.
That was some of it. This was around the time I was setting foot and trying to get into the NFL. I heard Chris Mara was the logical choice. However, that would mean now the GM would be a Mara and the Tisches were not comfortable with that. So they went with someone they could agree on that equally had talent.

So there was politics involved.

I am sure they do get along, but I am sure there was things that would annoy him. Listening to the pressers by Reese, you can pick it out, when he says, stuff like, in regards to A. Robinson, that I wish he got more PT. He did flash. A fan would say, if you wish it, then just tell the HC to play the guy.

If you can't say it, then keep it to yourself. So this is not the 1st time I have heard stuff like that. I am sure it's all good, but at the end of the day, a GM, to stamp his identity on his team, he hires the HC.

That's why the Jets GM, with all his draft stuff can't stamp his identity, until he hires a new HC.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Reese will get his chance in a couple of years. I'm curious to see who he wants.

I want a defensive HC. Tired of the musical chairs on defense.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yes but you can't just avoid filling spots on your team because Coughlin might play them over someone else. That would be absurd. Reese needs to bring in veterans to fill in some holes the young guys can't, and to provide quality depth to the team.

If Coughlin isn't willing to put the best player out there then it's on him, not Reese.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Dan Conner and Keith Rivers though?

I've been begging for linebackers for the past 4 years and that's what he gives me?

Goddammit Reese.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Well, that would mean that he is the DC too. I am fine with that if the defensive coach is sound. If not, then hire a new OC and DC. At the end of the day, the HC has to be a good judge of coaching talent.

Coughlin's biggest knock was this issue. Someone said on BBI, that he had 3 DCs in his final 3 years with the Jags. Now we are on # 4. Sure 2 SBs is an amazing thing, but only knock I have on a HOF coach, is the ability to be so bad at picking DCs. It's all or nothing! Can't you find an average DC at least? LOL.

Fewell, Lewis, and Sheridan were god awful! I mean come on! Wasting Eli's prime with a side of the ball which is beyond useless, at least in the regular season they are.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hush, I still love Keith Rivers. I'm still riding his draft stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Rivers can make a decent SAM if he doesn't get hurt tying his shoe laces every year.

The guy can't stay healthy anymore. It's like you have to bubblewrap him in btw games.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Well, he is not the 1st china doll on this team. We have a collection of them. And we need all of them to stay healthy! LOL. What are the odds of that happening?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Dan Conner and Keith Rivers though?

I've been begging for linebackers for the past 4 years and that's what he gives me?

Goddammit Reese.
The off-season isn't over man. I am certain we will draft a LB or two.

And I think Reese has a clear philosophy on LB's. He doesn't seem to value them. I'm clearly okay with that.

Maybe this year we go after one early. I couldn't say. I personally hope not, but if it's the BPA then let's do it. I really do like Arthur Brown a lot too. He's really the only first round LB I would want.

I just pray to the heavens we don't have any interest in Manti Te'o. Honestly, it's not so much the whole non-sense surrounding him either. I have thought he was extremely overrated for a long time. That's why I laugh when people try to tell me, "Well, he was a top 10 pick before all this stuff came out." Sure, to people who bought into all the insane hype surrounding him at the time. I've always thought he was a second round pick at best. Not even sure if I would rate him there now after an atrocious Combine.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We didn't think Reese valued RB's high either and then bam 1st round RB last year. Anything can happen.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
We didn't think Reese valued RB's high either and then bam 1st round RB last year. Anything can happen.
Yeah, that's very true. Which is why I never expect any Giants pick to be what I think it is. I think the only Giants picks I ever predicted right were when we got Kenny Phillips and Prince.

Reese is unpredictable in that sense. Which is not a bad thing by any means.

But for the most part, Reese has proven to have a track record for first round picks. Almost always premium positions. RB was his first real non-premium postion. Otherwise it's always been DB/DE/WR.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
The off-season isn't over man. I am certain we will draft a LB or two.

And I think Reese has a clear philosophy on LB's. He doesn't seem to value them. I'm clearly okay with that.

Maybe this year we go after one early. I couldn't say. I personally hope not, but if it's the BPA then let's do it. I really do like Arthur Brown a lot too. He's really the only first round LB I would want.

I just pray to the heavens we don't have any interest in Manti Te'o. Honestly, it's not so much the whole non-sense surrounding him either. I have thought he was extremely overrated for a long time. That's why I laugh when people try to tell me, "Well, he was a top 10 pick before all this stuff came out." Sure, to people who bought into all the insane hype surrounding him at the time. I've always thought he was a second round pick at best. Not even sure if I would rate him there now after an atrocious Combine.
I'd rate the Giants as one of the best drafting teams in the whole league and I'm pretty sure Reese and Coughlin are on the same page come draft day. The Giants tend to draft whatever falls there way which is what good drafting teams do when they are always drafting pretty high. I don't think they are ever fixed in stone prior to the actual draft but remain flexible to all possibilities.

As for Te'o, I think he will be a steal for some team, I think he was worn out from all the attention prior to the Combine and it drastically affected his Combine performance.
Te'o was a 4 year starter on a team that played pretty tough schedules every year and led Notre Dame to an undefeated regular season against a tough schedule. He redeemed himself at his pro day and I think he has real leadership qualities and will start for a long time in the NFL. His style definitely suits the Giants system and I for one wouldn't be shocked to see the Giants take him although it isn't a certainty by any means.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

We better not draft Man Tie Teeoooo. That's a remote thrower for me!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We better not draft Man Tie Teeoooo. That's a remote thrower for me!
We did bring Tim McDonnell recently into our staff, he was the football personnel director at Notre Dame.

Depending on how he grades out, I could see us picking up Teo but it would be more of a second round option than a first in my opinion.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I think that had to do with the fact he is the grandchild of Wellington Mara, I read on BBI. So it was more of bringing a "Mara" back to the family business.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that had to do with the fact he is the grandchild of Wellington Mara, I read on BBI. So it was more of bringing a "Mara" back to the family business.
Quite possibly, but he will have a detailed insider knowledge of how Manti Teo shapes up as a prospect.

If we did choose to draft Teo at some point, it would be because he is the best option for our team.

There is a ton of hype about Teo (both for and against), the Giants will be well placed to have some of the best information as to how Teo shapes up as a LB prospect for NYG. If we were to draft Teo it would be based on very solid information.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 04-01-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't want any part of Teo. After all these years, if the 1st round LB we finally select winds up being Teo, I'm gonna be pissed. If that happens, we need to fire our scouts who scout LBs. Bc they're obviously not doing a good job of it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

You don't want the next Ray Lewis on your team?
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It's hilarious how laughably wrong you are about everything. Take up another sport. Football clearly isn't your game.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
It's hilarious how laughably wrong you are about everything. Take up another sport. Football clearly isn't your game.
It's laughable that you think you can make definitive assessments before any of these players have played more than a handful of snaps in the NFL.

Same goes for crowning players like Jason Pierre Paul as shoo-in Hall-of-Famers after one good season in the NFL.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote