Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's worth a cheap contract. If he doesn't prove his worth in training camp then we can cut him. Upside is huge and he's had less than stellar QB play over the years.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's become underrated and I hope we sign him.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players the Colts have supposedly worked out thus far:

Anthony Capasso, WR, Ashland (PRO)
DeWayne Cherrington, DL, Mississippi State (PRO)
Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)
Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh (EW)
MarQueis Gray, TE, Minnesota (PRI)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM) (INT)
Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (SR)
Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific (COM)
Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (SR)
Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (PRI)
Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)
Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW)
Earl Watford, OL, James Madison (EW)
Duke Williams, S, Nevada (PRI)
Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina (SR)
Quinton Patton, WR LA Tech
Colby Cameron QB LA Tech
Khaled Holmes C USC - Pags present

I'm quite high on Thomas as a mid to late round pick. Seems odd we're omitting pass rushers. Anyone else heard who we might have been in contact with?

Last edited by RagingColt : 04-01-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added to list
RagingColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our LB coach worked with Damontre Moore a lot at his pro day.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I think our LB coach worked with Damontre Moore a lot at his pro day.
Tell me this isn't just wishful thinking. :D

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Anyone else think that Marcus Lattimore might be worth our 4th round pick? Or is that something we address with our 6th or 7th rounders? If we don't add a RB this year, I think we spend a fairly high one next year in the draft after Brown is let go. For '13 I'm ok with Ballard, Brown and Carter though having someone like Lattimore who might play some late in the year and possibly start next year would be gravy.

I'm thinking we need to add in order the following in the draft this year - 1. Pass Rusher 2. Wide Receiver 3. Guard to play what ever spot Donald Thomas doesn't start at. We could use depth at CB, S and OLB as well though we're limited with the # of picks we have.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Anyone else think that Marcus Lattimore might be worth our 4th round pick? Or is that something we address with our 6th or 7th rounders? If we don't add a RB this year, I think we spend a fairly high one next year in the draft after Brown is let go. For '13 I'm ok with Ballard, Brown and Carter though having someone like Lattimore who might play some late in the year and possibly start next year would be gravy.

I'm thinking we need to add in order the following in the draft this year - 1. Pass Rusher 2. Wide Receiver 3. Guard to play what ever spot Donald Thomas doesn't start at. We could use depth at CB, S and OLB as well though we're limited with the # of picks we have.
I'd draft BPA that remotely fills a need.

But my needs are as follows:

#1a OG - Luck will make people look good as long as we keep him standing up. We can't afford to have a weak link and even if we don't depth would help for when someone inevitably goes down.

#1b WR - I'm glad Avery is gone because he dropped passes as did Hilton, but he is a rookie and is much more talented. Reggie is getting old, TY is a slot, and I'm not sure about Brazil to be honest. I would be more comfortable with someone like Keenan Allen on the roster. Someone to mold as a #1 and to play #2 with TY in the slot.

#3 OLB - I don't think this will get drafted very high. We signed our scrubs in FA. If I were the GM I would focus on drafting an OLB, but if I were GM I wouldn't have signed Walden. Granted, I trust Grigson. It does seem like we just brought in a lot of run stuffers. I would like to get someone who rushers the passer. I'm sure Grigson will want to see what his investment brings unless someone stupidly falls in the draft.

#4 CB - I'm not sold on Toler. Injury concerns and past him our depth is questionable. Vaughn played decently, but I would rather him not see the field. Darius Butler actually showed some spark. He might be a legitimate nickel, but If a guy like Trufant is on the board then I would gladly take him.

#5 C - I am still not sure what is going on here. I'm really hoping Satele doesn't touch the ball again. A.Q. Shipley is serviceable, but I would really like to get someone better. perhaps a guard we draft could serve as depth and/or center (Barret Jones in the 3rd?).

#6 RB - The only one of these RBs that I believe in is Ballard. Brown has been a disappointment and constantly is injured. Unfortunately the same is true with Delone Carter. I'm not sure we draft anyone because we should have a better line this year and Ballard might have a big year if so.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't rule out OLB as our 1st rounder. Grigson has acknowledged in a recent interview that he doesn't think a team can have enough pass-rushers and if the right one is on board, he would consider him.

It's a top need imo. We do not have enough pass-rushers.

I also don't think WR needs to be a 1st rounder. Reggie isn't done, I'm a big believer in Hilton and I think Fleener can take a big step forward next year. Still, adding another solid guy is important.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

We for sure need an OLB. We don't have a #1 pass rusher on the roster.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Pags was at the USC pro day according to the whores of Stampedeblue.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/4/1...-khaled-holmes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got DHB giggidy

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Paul K via espn reports it is worth up to 3 million for one year. Hopefully he's a faster version of Avery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...th-heyward-bey
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I've read on DHB, he's not so much a deep threat, as he is a short-intermediate receiver, who has the wheels to out-run the defense. Luck will obviously be the best QB he's played with (JaMarcus, Jason Campbell, Carson Palmer), so hopefully they can get something done together. He's had 3 starting QBs in 4 years, so its possible he just hasn't had a chance to form that chemistry.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this deal. He can stretch the field and open things up for Reggie and the gang. I actually wouldn't have mind a multi-year deal as he is still pretty young and can thrive here.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just thought I'd post what I think the needs are for the Draft.

1. Offensive Guard

The Colts have 7 Guards currently on the Roster. I am only comfortable in calling one of them, Donald Thomas, starting calibre, while two of them are practice squad/camp body type players, while another, Ben Ijalana, has never been healthy and may be cut. The remaining three players are not only not particularly good but also free agents at the end of next season. Not only do the Colts need to bring in another starter for the Right Guard position but could also do with bringing in a backup Guard in the event that Link, Reitz and McGlynn are all gone at the end of next season.

2. Pass Rusher

Pass Rusher is a difficult one to rate. The Colts have brought in two Free Agents and have four OLB who would expect playing time (the Colts only had 4 OLB with more than 100 snaps last year). There is also a fair amount of money invested in those 4 players ($16M this year, $15M next year, and that is with one Free Agent). That being said the ability at those positions leaves a little to be desired. Walden will be a purely two down player who offers nothing as a pass rusher. Mathis was pretty poor last year against the run. Hughes has shown flashes but never put it all together, while Sibury only played limited snaps last year. So there is a need here but I donít believe there is necessarily the room to bring in another guy unless it is for a player the team canít not take.

3. Free Safety

Antoine Bethea regressed quite badly last season. Additionally he is a Free Agent at the end of next season. While Bethea has been a great servant to the franchise and leader in that secondary it is probably getting to the state where the team need to consider bring in someone to replace him. I wouldnít mind the team bringing in a later round guy with upside to backup this year and replace him next year.

4. Inside Linebacker

The Colts had a tale of two spots last season at ILB. On one hand Freeman was the definition of an every down player (playing all but 15 snaps throughout the entire season). On the other there was the definition of a committee system at the other ILB position. Some people refer to a split like that as 2 down and 3rd down type split. In reality the modern NFL this has nothing to do with downs and everything to do with situations, with a 2 down player being a player in an obvious rushing situation and a 3rd down player being a player in an obvious passing situation. The Colts had both of those last year with run specialist Kavell Conner, who was probably the teamís best run stopper all season, and Moise Fokou, who was a passing down specialist, and was also very good at that. But the Colts added a third piece to the puzzle when Pat Angerer returned from injury by creating, for all intents and purposes, a non-obvious situational player. If it was an obvious rushing down Conner went in. If it was an obvious passing situation Fokou went in. If it was neither and the D didnít know what the Offense was going to run they sent in Pat Angerer. The reason this is a need is threefold. Firstly Moise Fokou has left the team with the team making little attempt to resign him (which wouldnít have been difficult as he signed a 2 year, $2.8M contract with the Titans). The Colts probably intend to use Angerer as the permanent ILB and spell him on run downs with Conner. This brings me to the other reasons for concern. Both Conner and Angerer are Free Agents next year. So I wouldnít be surprised to see the team bring in some help at Inside Linebacker in the draft.

5. Defensive End

The Colts have six players under contract at Defensive End and three of them are out of contract at the end of next season (one of whom may even start the season on PUP). While the Colts are set at starter with Cory Redding and RJF the depth is a little thin behind them and what depth there is will largely be out of contract by the end of the season.

6. Cornerback

The Colts look, talent wise, pretty set at Cornerback. Vontae Davis is a Free Agent next season but will almost certainly be resigned, while Iím a big fan of Greg Toler as a player. That being said the problem is always going to be depth. Between the two of them Davis and Toler and have played only 52% of snaps over the last three season, a number that drops to 34% when you consider only the previous two seasons. Sufficient depth is needed behind them. There were stretches last season when both starting Corners were out injured and I would not be shocked if something similar occurs this year. Darius Butler looks to be a very good Nickle Cornerback but beyond him you have Cassius Vaughn and Josh Gordy, two players roasted any time they went to the outside. With Davis, Vaughn and Gordy all being Free Agents next season as well I wouldnít be shocked if the team targeted Cornerback sometime in the draft.

7. Offensive Tackle

While Iím pretty happy with both the starters and their general durability it still doesnít help to have good backup options as well (especially with Cherilusí knee operation). While Link could potentially backup both positions next season he is both a free agent at the end of next year and pretty bad. So bringing in a swing tackle could be a good option.

8. Wide Receiver

The Colts had two main problems at the Wide Receiver position. Firstly there is a need to replace and upgrade over Donnie Avery. T.Y. Hilton is suited more for the slot WR position, though he is apparently on an offseason program to improve his strength to improve his play on the outside. Either way LaVon Brazill as the 3rd receiver on the team is not good enough. He is adequate backup and spell option but not as a permanent receiver. This has probably been settled, at least in the short term by the signing of DHB. There is still a need though. The team probably need to bring in a project player to backup and eventually replace Reggie Wayne.

9. Running Back

The Colts have virtually the same group of RBs this year as last year (only Mewelde Moore is gone). The Colts had the 22nd rated rushing attack last year and that was behind a poor offensive line. The same group of RBs with an improved line should deliver a better rushing attack. Donald Brown is a free agent next season and the Colts could do with a better receiver out of the backfield.

Areas with no needs

Quarterback
Full Back
Center
Tight End
Nose Tackle
Strong Safety

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemyís Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Nice list, Seamus.

The first 2 are the most obvious needs. As a matter of fact I view OG and OLB as 1a and 1b needs. You can make a case for either to be on top.

After that it gets a bit cloudier.

DE is a strange position in 3-4. Historically, it's really not much of a pass-rushing position. With that being said, if you truly want to have a dominant defense, you want to have at least one DE that consistantly penetrates. We don't really have that. Redding was that ones, but he's just slightly above average now and getting worse.

Now, let me just say that I've been a fan of AQ Shipley ever since his PSU days. But he is average at best. And Satale sucks. We are not set at OC at all.

I would also put RB significantly higher on the list then 9th. Unless he suddenly turns into a star overnight, I don't think Brown will be with the team for much longer. Ballard is good, but I would like to have another talented back, preferably with good hands and open field speed.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Nice list, Seamus.

The first 2 are the most obvious needs. As a matter of fact I view OG and OLB as 1a and 1b needs. You can make a case for either to be on top.

After that it gets a bit cloudier.

DE is a strange position in 3-4. Historically, it's really not much of a pass-rushing position. With that being said, if you truly want to have a dominant defense, you want to have at least one DE that consistantly penetrates. We don't really have that. Redding was that ones, but he's just slightly above average now and getting worse.

Now, let me just say that I've been a fan of AQ Shipley ever since his PSU days. But he is average at best. And Satale sucks. We are not set at OC at all.

I would also put RB significantly higher on the list then 9th. Unless he suddenly turns into a star overnight, I don't think Brown will be with the team for much longer. Ballard is good, but I would like to have another talented back, preferably with good hands and open field speed.
The 3-4 D tends to not need a significant penetrator, not in the style of 3-4 the Colts play anyway. It is about control, and dominating their individual matchups, both in the passing game and the rushing game. In the passing game the idea is to control the OT so that the OLB aren't matched up on a Tackle. So I'm comfortable enough with a lack of a penetrator at DE.

At Center I would say the team are going to give Satele another chance. I was also a big fan of Shipley coming out of college and he played well in limited time last season. Satele was poor last season but if you look at his previous seasons he was very good. He was also playing with significantly below par Guards on both sides of him. The Colts have upgraded the Left Guard position and if they can do the same with the Right Guard position then I believe Satele will play better. If he doesn't then the team will re-evaluate at that stage but I do believe it is premature to do so now.

The big thing about running back is the increasing fact in the modern NFL that you don't need elite level backs to have an elite level rushing attack. Look at what Washington did last year with a good scheme, good offensive line and a 6th Round Running Back. The fact is that the main thing that has caused the Colts poor rushing attack in the last few years has not been a lack of talent at the RB position. It has been poor Offensive Line play. The line is improving. The scheme is improving in terms of running the ball. So I'd expect the rushing attack to improve even with current talent at the RB position.

That being said I agree it would be good to find a scat back. I wanted the Colts to sign Danny Woodhead this offseason. The problem is though is that the Colts have more needs than picks and I don't believe it is as much of a priority than the other positions.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemyís Defensive Line.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I wanted Colts to give Karim a longer look. He looked really impressive last pre-season. But I guess they just don't like him. It would be nice to have a guy who can turn a small screen pass into a 20+ yard gain. It would give our offense another good option.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Ultimately it isn't a great year for Running Backs but someone like McCalebb, if you can look past his extremely small stature, will probably be available with a late 7th Round pick, maybe an UDFA.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Paul K posted the following for our needs list heading into the draft. I'd say he offers valid points at each position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...he-colts-needs

Quote:
The Colts have restocked their roster in a big way since free agency opened, adding 10 veterans from the outside.

Some are sure to be upgrades, like right tackle Gosder Cherilus and safety LaRon Landry. Others require a wait-and-see approach as we find out how strongside linebacker Erik Walden and defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois fare with expanded roles.

Despite an 11-win season, Indianapolis headed toward the second season of Ryan Grigson as the general manager, Chuck Pagano as the head coach and Andrew Luck as the quarterback with some significant holes.

With all the additions, the pressure to find answers at certain spots in the draft is significantly lightened. That makes for a far better atmosphere in which to draft.

Hereís my assessment of what they've done to fill roster gaps and what now rank as the teamís primary needs with the draft drawing near.

Offensive line -- Cherilus is a physical player who can help change and set a better tone for a position that simply didnít have enough talent last season. Donald Thomas will upgrade a guard slot as well. Is it enough? I think they should add at least one more lineman in the draft who can contend for a guard spot or at center.

Cornerback -- Greg Toler could be a fine second starter, but they qualify as three deep at best with Vontae Davis, Toler and Darius Butler. They have to have another solid guy in the mix, and the draft should provide someone who will automatically qualify as better than Cassius Vaughn.

Wide receiver -- Can they get more out of Darrius Heyward-Bey than they got out of Donnie Avery? I would think so. Is DHB going to be the ultimate successor to Reggie Wayne? I highly doubt it. They need to be looking for that guy to go with T.Y. Hilton, their lone long-term sure thing at the position.

Safety -- LaRon Landry is a significant upgrade over Tom Zbikowski. He and Antoine Bethea should be a nice tandem. Joe Lefeged is fine as depth. But in a good safety year and with Bethea heading into his eighth season, I think it would be a good move to add a young player at the spot.

Outside linebacker -- Walden was a controversial addition, but theyíve emphasized his ability to set the edge. That does not make for much of a pass rush opposite Robert Mathis. I hope they arenít counting on big production from Jerry Hughes or Lawrence Sidbury. They still need a pass-rushing outside 'backer.

Defensive end -- They resigned Fili Moala and hope Cory Redding will be more durable. Newcomer Ricky Jean Francois could start outside and move inside in nickel. Another guy in that mix wouldnít be a bad thing.

Running back -- Vick Ballard, Donald Brown and Delone Carter are the three-pack that will return. Ballard showed a lot of promise, but the other two are not sure things. Bruce Ariansí offense didnít throw to backs much. Pep Hamiltonís offense will do so more. If Grigson sees a versatile back as a value, I expect heíll add one.

Defensive tackle -- Went from being a need to not being a need. Jean Francois will play some tackle and some end. Aubrayo Franklin can be an early-down run-stopper. And they expect Brandon McKinney and Josh Chapman to be healthy and equipped to contribute. They could have a lot of options at this spot who fit the 3-4 front.

Quarterback -- They did well replacing Drew Stanton with Matt Hasselbeck as Luckís backup. The No. 2 was never going to come from the draft.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Goodies

I'm getting the feeling that when our pick in the first rolls around, we trade back. There seems to be a great amount of players in the second and third round area that can contribute immediately. I think there will be a good amount of teams willing to trade up to our pick for a QB that they didn't want spend a top 10 pick on but also don't believe there guy will be there once there pick rolls around in the second.
Players like Werner from FSU and Moore from TAMU have lost some steam as the whole player evaluation phase has progressed. I would love either of these guys as an rush OLB in our scheme.
I still think WR is a huge need for us as well, even with the signing of DHB. If DHB has a good year with us and signs a long term extension, that would be great but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I think there is a solid chance one of the two big guards(Warmack/Cooper) may be there at 24 but then again, they could be long gone. That would be a gift from the gods if either were available IMO.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I'm sure Grigson would like to trade down, or at least have that option, but I am not so sure the trading partner is going to be there.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The idea of trading down intrigues me. As I've mentioned before, this draft it tailor made for our team.

But if a guy they are very high on is there, he'll just pick.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something I read was that according to the CBA, first round picks have the built-in team option for a 5th year. So teams drafting in the first round get an extra year at a bargain price. So the 32nd pick is excessively more valuable than the 33rd, since 32 is a 5 year deal, 33 is a 4 year deal. Think about the value of getting an extra year on a cheap starting QB, and what effect that has on your cap. Is that worth a 3rd/4th to move from 36 into the late 20's?
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
Something I read was that according to the CBA, first round picks have the built-in team option for a 5th year. So teams drafting in the first round get an extra year at a bargain price. So the 32nd pick is excessively more valuable than the 33rd, since 32 is a 5 year deal, 33 is a 4 year deal. Think about the value of getting an extra year on a cheap starting QB, and what effect that has on your cap. Is that worth a 3rd/4th to move from 36 into the late 20's?
I would certainly think it would be worth a mid round pick to move up if I'm looking at this from the other teams perspective. Would be beneficial for Grigson to do so but you need someone in desperation mode QB wise.

QBs that might be late 1st round picks:

Nassib
Barkley
Manuel
Glennon
Wilson
Bray

Teams that might need a QB plus relevant draft picks they would have to get back into the 1st round.

Buffalo Bills -

Current QBs on roster . . . Kolb and Javaris Jackson which isn't exactly an art in confidence building. Even if they think Kolb is a starter for this year, I doubt they view him as a long term solution.

Round 2 (#41), Round 3 (#71), Round 4 (#105)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Gabbert and Henne. . . . Gabbert is on his last ride this year and Henne seems like a stop gap at best though he's shown the ability to win some games. Neither to me scream LTS/Long Term Solution.

Round 2 (#33), Round 3 (#64). Round 4 (#98)

Philadelphia Eagles
Nick Foles, Trent Edwards and Dennis Dixon . . . Dixon is familiar with Kelly's offense but has never been a full time NFL starter. Foles showed promise in Reid's offense but is miscast now. Trend Edwards . . . is Trent Edwards, need we say more.

Round 2 (#35), Round 3 #67), Round 4 (#101)

Oakland Raiders
Matt Flynn and Leinhart . . . Matt & Matt . . . Flynn has started a whopping two games going into his 6th season.

Round 4 (#100)

New York Jets
Sanchize, Greg McElroy, Gawd himself . . . McElroy played so so last year in limited duty, Sanchize regressed even more and Tebow never started a game.

Round 2 (#39), Round 3 (#72), Round 4 (#106)

I would think the Bills, Eagles and Raiders are for sure in play to draft one QB this year sometime in the draft and imo most likely to trade back into the 1st round to grab a QB. Find it hard this won't happen with teams desperate for players. Even if most don't grade out too high. The Jets will likely draft one sometime in the next two years, same goes for the Jaguars pending how '13 goes.

With the Raiders only owning one pick in the top 100, this would likely eliminate them from being a trading partner barring they trade a '14 2nd/3rd rounder. Find that unlikely as they'll be back on the right side of the salary cap by next season and McKenzie comes from GB where they value draft picks highly. I think the Jets/Ryan try to surround Sanchize with the most talent possible in a futile attempt to salvage Ryan's job. The Jaguars are pretty interesting as a trade partner. The new Gm has no allegiance at all for Gabbert and they'll look to do everything possible to improve their QB position. Do they stick it out with Gabby or suck for the #1 next year?