Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)
Default Prediction: The 49ers defense will not finish top-10 in 2013

I'm sick of people just assuming that the 49ers defense will be a top-10 unit forever and ever because they had two (really, one and three-quarters) good years.

I think that the majority of the key contributors (Justin Smith in particular) are on the severe decline. I also believe that after losing their best DB (Dashon Goldson) that secondary will look like even more of a sieve than it had in the last few games of the regular season last year and into the playoffs.

The San Francisco 49ers will *not* finish in the top-10 in points per game allowed and will *not* finish in the top-10 in defensive DVOA (per footballoutsiders.com). That's my big prediction for 2013.

Now, obviously, that' doesn't mean that the 49ers will miss the playoffs or suck as a team, but the days of dominant 49er defense are over, and this team, at its ceiling, will look more like the 2010 Saints or 2011 Packers, *at best*, assuming that the offense progresses even further from last year.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
I'm sick of people just assuming that the 49ers defense will be a top-10 unit forever and ever because they had two (really, one and three-quarters) good years.

I think that the majority of the key contributors (Justin Smith in particular) are on the severe decline. I also believe that after losing their best DB (Dashon Goldson) that secondary will look like even more of a sieve than it had in the last few games of the regular season last year and into the playoffs.

The San Francisco 49ers will *not* finish in the top-10 in points per game allowed and will *not* finish in the top-10 in defensive DVOA (per footballoutsiders.com). That's my big prediction for 2013.

Now, obviously, that' doesn't mean that the 49ers will miss the playoffs or suck as a team, but the days of dominant 49er defense are over, and this team, at its ceiling, will look more like the 2010 Saints or 2011 Packers, *at best*, assuming that the offense progresses even further from last year.
You're "sick of people" huh? Taking it pretty personal there, aren't ya buddy? If you say so. Good luck with that.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

And Aldon Smith is moving in an upward direction still.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Willis, Brooks, McDonald, Bowman, Aldon Smith, Culliver, and Brown are on the severe decline?

And who assumed the 49ers defense would be a top ten unit "forever and forever"? Please, I'd like to know who these people are and what exactly was said.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 04-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll bet you $100 that you're wrong.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Didn't you have the Rams ahead of the 49ers in your power rankings for next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Smith missed not only 1 game, BUT 2! Severe Decline! They lost 2 good players, but they are still really talented as a group.

Smith played through significant injury last year when he probably should have shut it down if they werent in the playoffs.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many bath salts did you go with before creating this thread....

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that the majority of the key contributors (Justin Smith in particular) are on the severe decline.
This is my favorite.

Clearly you think J. Smith is a shart away from an old person's home, so i'll leave him out of this.

Simply quote this post, and bold the ones that are on the "severe" decline.

Aldon Smith
Patrick Willis
Navarro Bowman
Ahmad Brooks
Ray McDonald
Chris Culliver
Tarrell Brown
Donte Whitner
Carlos Rogers

I left off Glenn Dorsey, even though he'll likely be a starter.

Of that list, the only ones on the back end of their career would be Whitner and Rogers. And of the two, Rogers can still play at a high level in the slot with the young guys on the edge.

And please, while you're at it, I would love your definition of "severe decline".
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't for get about Aso now who we just signed for under 2 mil for one year! Gonna be a good season 49er fans.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Niner haters unite!!!! lol....so sad, so pathetic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AcheTen is the OP?

Now I REALLY hope the 49ers draft Ziggy Ansah.

;)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I know, it's a disaster. We've lost our starting FS and need a decent young player to groom behind J. Smith. If only we had a decent GM and a huge stock of draft picks to play with...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Willis, Brooks, McDonald, Bowman, Aldon Smith, Culliver, and Brown are on the severe decline?
Willis and Bowman are great players who are still in their prime. However, they also happen to play the least important position on defense: inside linebacker.

If the secondary isn't covering, and the pass rush isn't getting there, the best inside linebackers in the world don't matter. We saw that last year in the latter half of the season and in the playoffs.

Ahmad Brooks is an average player. Ray McDonald is nothing special. Cris Culliver gets burnt in coverage often. Terrel Brown is no great talent.

Aldon Smith is good, but without Justin Smith holding guards I don't see a special 1-on-1 pass rusher capable of beating individual blocks.

Quote:
And who assumed the 49ers defense would be a top ten unit "forever and forever"? Please, I'd like to know who these people are and what exactly was said.
There's just a general sentiment on this forum that "let's pencil in the 49ers as the best team! Their defense is a lockdown unit!". I think their offense will be great, but I also think that the defense will not be so great and they will end up looking like the 2010 Saints.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
This is my favorite.

Clearly you think J. Smith is a shart away from an old person's home, so i'll leave him out of this.

Simply quote this post, and bold the ones that are on the "severe" decline.

Aldon Smith
Patrick Willis
Navarro Bowman
Ahmad Brooks
Ray McDonald
Chris Culliver
Tarrell Brown
Donte Whitner
Carlos Rogers
Not a single special talent among those except for Willis and Bowman and they play the least important position on defense.

Brooks is an average 3-4 OLB.

McDonald is a solid run stuffer; nothing more nothing less.

Culliver and Brown are mediocre DBs who look average if the DLine isn't dominating.

And Whitner and Rogers are cooked older guys who actually played on a below-average level last year and I will be *shocked* if they play on anything but a mediocre level going forward, or even stay on the roster for more than a year.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ahmad Brooks is an average 3-4 OLB. Goodnight ladies and gentlemen.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The MLB is the least position on defense? The bath salts are really getting to you buddy, the MLB is the QB of the D and its not by chance the Ravens or Bears were so dominate for so long due to Urlacher and Lewis.

Now fast forward to the 49ers and Bowman and Willis play a huge role into why they are so dominate also.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not a single special talent among those except for Willis and Bowman and they play the least important position on defense.

Brooks is an average 3-4 OLB.

McDonald is a solid run stuffer; nothing more nothing less.

Culliver and Brown are mediocre DBs who look average if the DLine isn't dominating.

And Whitner and Rogers are cooked older guys who actually played on a below-average level last year and I will be *shocked* if they play on anything but a mediocre level going forward, or even stay on the roster for more than a year.
Use your crazy eyes and read. Bold the ones on the severe decline, as you put it.

And in the other thread I already covered how willis and bowman do things that other ilbs don't - so dismissing their impact is ignorant.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Use your crazy eyes and read. Bold the ones on the severe decline, as you put it.

And in the other thread I already covered how willis and bowman do things that other ilbs don't - so dismissing their impact is ignorant.
Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers are the two key on-the-decline members.

Everyone else is either an average starter or a scrub, talent-wise.

And ILBs are basically a product of their DLine. Did you WATCH THE LAST FEW GAMES OF THE 2012 REGULAR SEASON AND THE PLAYOFFS?

Bowman and Willis were playing on a high level but it DIDN'T MATTER. The DLine was bad so the team gave up tons of yards and points regardless of Willis / Bowman.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course the MLBs are somewhat dependant on the Dline, just like a good QB is still dependant on his recievers to actually catch his passes.

you take Ray lewis off the Ravens in the 2000's they are not nearly as dominate. You take Willis or Bowman off the 49ers and you see the same thing.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Ahmad Brooks is an average 3-4 OLB. Goodnight ladies and gentlemen.
Because when we talk about the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL right now, one of the first names that comes to mind is "Ahmad Brooks".
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There aren't that many defensive units with more talent to overtake the 49ers. They will be top 10 again - especially since they will be able to completely restock their depth and future replacements with all the picks they have this year.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
There aren't that many defensive units with more talent to overtake the 49ers. They will be top 10 again - especially since they will be able to completely restock their depth and future replacements with all the picks they have this year.
Where's all the "talent" on the 49ers defense?

Seriously. Wilis and Bowman are great. Justin Smith is great but older and injured. Aldon Smith is great with Justin Smith bnut doesn't look like a great one-on-one block beater.

That's about it in terms of above-average talent.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Where's all the "talent" on the 49ers defense?

Seriously. Wilis and Bowman are great. Justin Smith is great but older and injured. Aldon Smith is great with Justin Smith bnut doesn't look like a great one-on-one block beater.

That's about it in terms of above-average talent.
Most teams are not going to have more that 4-5 REALLY GOOD players... if you want a stacked team with 11 elite players go throw Madden in