Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bill Polian's top 6 GM's

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ent-evaluators

Its an insider article and even i don't have insider so i couldn't link the full content. But another poster on another board has been kind enough to provide the list (he has insider obviously). Not sure if is this is Polian's order but here are his top 6 GM's...

-Ozzie Newsome, Ravens
-Thomas Dimitroff, Falcons
-Ted Thompson, Packers
-Jerry Reese, Giants
-Trent Baalke, 49ers
-Kevin Colbert, Steelers

Some names left off: Rick Smith (Texans), John Elway (Broncos), and i think the biggest snub..John Schneider (Seahawks).

Maybe its just me but it feels like the Steelers drafting has been off lately. Not sure i would put Colbert in the top 6 (same with the Patriots and Bill), perhaps replace him with Schneider.

Also for me, biggest up and comer GM would be Les Snead of the Rams.

Do you like this top 6 list of NFL GM's? What would your list look like?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does he explain how Schneider doesn't make the cut?

When he took the job the roster was in ruins.

He's built literally the entire roster minus four players - Hill (who's gone now), Unger, Red Bryant, and Mebane.

And in three years. And now the roster is arguably the most talented in the NFL...

Think about how brilliant some of these moves have been...

1) Trading low picks for Lynch and Clemons.
2) Adding Browner for nothing.
3) All the draft picks.

Something else interesting. Aaron Curry (not his pick), he got a 5th for. The guy lasted one season in Oakland afterwards.

Besides that, he's gotten picks for two players who never played a meaningful down for the team:

a 5th and 7th for Flynn
a 7th for Barrett freaking Ruud

Obviously those moves aren't amazing or anything but it's pretty crazy he turned two free agent signings into draft picks...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd also think you'd include Schneider, but all in all it seems just about right. If you put Schneider in the top 6, you have to drop somebody else, and that's easier said than done.

I'm not really comfortable dropping a guy who's had as much success as Colbert in favor of a guy who's had comparatively little success.

Last edited by WCH : 04-06-2013 at 02:07 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My top 6 list would be

1. Ozzie Newsome
2. Jerry Reese
3. Ted Thompson
4. John Schneider
5. Trent Baalke
6. Thomas Dimitroff

Just Missed: Rick Smith, John Elway, Colbert, Bellichek
Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand Schneider being left off in favor of Colbert and Reese (who I would consider the bottom 2 of those 6).

He has done a better job the past couple years, but taking into account a longer body of work those guys have proven more.

Which IMO should be done, because a GM more than any position in football is concerned with long term success.

Steelers certainly seem to be trending in the wrong direction, but I wouldn't count them out to turn it around.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
I can understand Schneider being left off in favor of Colbert and Reese (who I would consider the bottom 2 of those 6).

He has done a better job the past couple years, but taking into account a longer body of work those guys have proven more.

Which IMO should be done, because a GM more than any position in football is concerned with long term success.

Steelers certainly seem to be trending in the wrong direction, but I wouldn't count them out to turn it around.
If longevity is the reason he's not on the list then Baalke shouldn't be either.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I <3 Jerry Reese.

I just trust everything he does. On draft day, I don't ever get nervous. I know Reese got it on lock. Never really question him.

And it's a complete embarrassment that Marc Ross is not a GM yet. Jokes like Phil Emery can become a GM but Marc Ross, Jerry Reese's right hand man during a time when we won 2 SBs, who is a great evaluator of talent can't get a chance? When we just saw like 5 GM openings in the past 2 years?

Absolute joke. I'm not complaining though.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

on all the schneider snub stuff....I totally hear what youre saying, hes really done something remarkable in seattle...but the Seahawks have had one good season. lets see him sustain some success. not saying they won't, but you just dont know. people are kind of assuming the seahawks are going to be perrenial contenders and I just feel like thats jumping the gun a little bit. I really like the team and thought they were an up-and-coming team before last year, but I just feel like people are drinking their kool-aid a little bit too much at this point.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I <3 Jerry Reese.

I just trust everything he does. On draft day, I don't ever get nervous. I know Reese got it on lock. Never really question him.

And it's a complete embarrassment that Marc Ross is not a GM yet. Jokes like Phil Emery can become a GM but Marc Ross, Jerry Reese's right hand man during a time when we won 2 SBs, who is a great evaluator of talent can't get a chance? When we just saw like 5 GM openings in the past 2 years?

I'm pretty sure we saw more GM openings this season than the last 3-4 years combined. I'm surprised Ross doesn't get more attention. But thats great for the Giants.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I <3 Jerry Reese.

I know that feeling. I questioned the Flacco and Rice pick on draft day but I pretty much assume Ozzie knows a lot more than me. He always seems patient and let's the draft come to him. Good players fall or we trade back. It's a big comfort knowing he generally isn't going to **** up. Even this off season, it socks who we lost but I trust Ozzie knows what he's doing.

Eric DeCosta could have been a GM at least 3 times if he wanted to, but thankfully he has said no stayed in Baltimore. We did bump his salary so he is paid like a GM though. He and Ozzie just work well and whenever Ozzie decides to walk away Decosta will slide into the GM sport
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate lists like these.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where the hell is Buddy Nix??

I kid I kid.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So basically the teams that have been successful the past few years.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I <3 Jerry Reese.

Maybe the rumors we started about marc Ross not just being black, but *** and black, have spiralled up to the NFL head honchos? Letting us keep him on the giants for ever!

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post

I kid I kid.
I like Nix so much more now that I know he sounds like foghorn leghorn.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My top 6 GM's -

1) Ozzie Newsome (Ravens)
Newsome has done an outstanding job, building the Ravens to be a competitive playoff team year in and year out with them winning the Super Bowl just two months ago. Granted, he gambled in regards to Flacco and lost that gamble but I think that the majority of people would have made the same gamble since no one expected Flacco to go on the amazing post season run that he ended up having. Newsome let several players go this off-season including Reed, Ellerbe, Kruger, Cary Williams, Pollard and Boldin and while I dont agree with all of those moves, I like the fact that Newsome isnt trying to copy what he did over a decade ago in which it didnt work. No point in copying something that didnt work out. Newsome though will fill a few spots via the Draft and signing Huff and Dumervil to replace Reed and Kruger were both great moves in so many ways. If Newsome can acquire a starting ILB or a WR to start opposite Smith, losing those other players wont hurt in the long run. Barring injuries, I still see the Ravens as the NFC North favorites in 2013.

2) Trent Baalke (49ers)
The only reason why I didnt put Baalke number one is because my 49ers lost in the Super Bowl. Regardless, he's arguably been the best GM the last two plus years. He had a lot of influence in the 2010 draft which gave us LG Mike Iupati and RT Anthony Davis (who was extended yesterday) and had a great draft in 2011 and made some excellent free agent signings which include Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Culliver, Whitner, Akers (for the first season and a half), Rogers (2011), decided to start Bowman instead of re-sign Spikes back in 2011, Goodwin (signed in 2011 after Baas left for the Giants) and others. The 2012 draft is still too soon to judge but LaMichael James is going to be a stud and while Jenkins did nothing in 2012, he wasnt expected to because of the depth we had at WR. And like everyone says, it takes three years for majority of WR's to become good so have to take a wait and see approach. Baalke and Harbaugh work great together and took a crappy ass team for nine years and turned it into the NFC West champions two years straight and the Super Bowl runner up this past season. As a 49ers fan, I dont agree with everything Baalke has done (like not resigning Goldson and re-signing Rogers last year) but like other 49er fans tell me, until he screws up on a consistent basis, he gets the benefit of the doubt which honestly, I cant argue with. With 13 draft picks this year and around 10 already for next year, the 49ers are being built like the Patriots.....a consistent playoff team and Super Bowl contender year in and year out.

3) John Schneider (Seahawks)
As a 49ers fan, obviously I wish the Seahawks sucked like the Cardinals do but they dont. Except for the contract given to Flynn which turned into a few late round draft picks, Schneider has done an excellent job as well plus they'll have plenty of cap room to keep their core intact for years to come. The 49ers and Seahawks could become the best in division rivalry this year and for years to come. The talent on the Seahawks is insane. The only negative I see on the Seahawks is the right side of their OL and the second starting OLB opposite Wright. Otherwise, this is a young, stacked team with a lot of cap room and a pain in the ass stadium to play in. The Harvin trade looks great on paper and as long as he doesnt ever become a problem, it should turn out to be a great trade for the Seahawks.

4) Thomas Dimitroff (Falcons)
Have to give Dimitroff credit as he's built a playoff contender year in and year out since becoming the Falcons GM in 2008. His trade for Julio Jones was a gutsy move and well worth it thus far. Top to bottom, I dont think that they have the talent and depth of SF and SEA but they're close and this year's draft should get them closer. Love the Steven Jackson signing and he should be what Turner was several years ago. Major weakness is at CB after Robinson and Grimes were let go and the OL after McClure retired and they released Clabo but I expect them to rebuild those positions through this year's draft. Definitely the best and most balanced team in the NFC South. Should be a playoff team and Super Bowl contender again 2013.

5) John Elway (Broncos)
This may be a surprise to most but Elway as done an excellent job. Trading the popular Tebow in favor of Manning and now signing Welker away from NE was huge. Broncos are built to win now and thats exactly what Elway is trying to do. Not sure about them long term but for at least another two years, they should be the best in the NFC West and Super Bowl contenders.

6) Mike Brown (Bengals)
I'm probably going to get bashed for this one and while I hate that Brown is well, CHEAP....him and Marvin Lewis have done an amazing job the last two years. After 2010, team seemed to be left for dead but trading Palmer for 1st and 2nd round draft picks and then drafting Dalton, Green, etc. plus hiring Jay Gruden as the OC has been huge. They should have another good draft this year plus they have kept their core intact. Only major weakness is the secondary which I would expect them to fix in a few weeks via the Draft. Making the playoffs the last two years has been impressive considering that at best, most would expect them to be third best after BAL/PIT but to me, the Bengals have better future than PIT does. I would add BAL but after signing Dumervil and Huff plus they still have the draft, I cant put CIN ahead of the Bengals yet. The most amazing thing is that this team is good, young and talented despite the owner being cheap. And signing UDFA Vontaze Burfict was a major coup. He could turn out to be their starting MLB for the next decade. Seriously, the Bengals have been turned around very quickly and if they can strengthen that secondary, they should be in great position to at the very least win a playoff berth and a playoff game.

As for those who I left off -

Giants GM Jerry Reese (honestly, he doesnt impress me. The last few drafts have been average at best and quite honestly, its Eli Manning who makes this team a lot better than what they are. If it wasnt for Eli and the two Super Bowl titles in the last five years, I wouldnt be surprised if Reese was long gone already. They need to rebuild their OL and majority of their defense so when the current guys they have now are done, they'll already have their replacements ready and good to go. P.S. - pay Cruz because he's arguably better than Hicks and a lot more durable as well)

Packers GM Ted Thompson (Packers have been a great team the last few seasons but let's be honest....if you subtract Rodgers, this team would be average at best. Defense has some great players but as a whole, are bad to say the least. The OL isnt what it used to be and there's no running game at all to help out Rodgers and the passing offense. Like the Giants, its the QB who makes this team better than what they would be if they didnt have a franchise QB. And for the love of Aaron Rodgers, get him a damn franchise RB!!! and better OL!!!)

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert (Like the above two teams, the Steelers have a franchise QB which is why they're usually competitive and playoff contenders but they havent had a good RB since Willie Parker and Bettis before him. With the loss of Wallace and Miller coming off a major injury, Roethlisberger needs a damn franchise RB to not only help the team but himself as well. Colbert has basically ignored this area and has also handcuffed the team by hanging on to the older guys longer than they should. Personally, instead of restructuring every other player's contract, I would have said goodbye to Harrison (which they did and was a smart move in my opinion), Taylor, Clark, Keisel, Hampton, Foote and Polamalu. Yeah, yeah, I know but these guys are old, injury prone and pretty much done plus cost way too much money. If I was a Steelers fan, I would have preferred paying Wallace, letting all these old guys leave and possibly re-signing Keenan Lewis and then draft another CB to start opposite him. Like the above two teams, im not impressed with the Steelers GM at all and whether any Giants, Packers or Steelers fan likes it or not, if it wasnt for the great franchise QB that you all have, these teams would be 8-8 at best and thats being generous).
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gasoline: check
Matches: check

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I don't really see any argument that what Baalke has done has been more impressive. Just based on sheer numbers.

For arguments sake let's just assume each roster right now is equal talent-wise.

Schneider's built the 1a best roster in the league MINUS Unger, Bryant, Mebane, and Hill.

Baalke has built the 1b best roster in the league MINUS Justin Smith, Crabtree, Vernus, Staley, Gore, Goldson, Walker and of course Willis, and Bowman...

He's done a good job no doubt and he was on the staff for a while, but pure GM resume I don't see how it's close.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

All yall just jelly you don't have JR making Power Moves for your team.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll say this a good QB can make a HC and GM look really good. Luck is a huge factor. That said my top 3 GM's are:

1. Ozzie Newsome (We'll see his true value if he can continue the winning ways after purging his team post SB run)

2. Ted Thompson (transitioned nicely from Favre and continued their winning ways)

3. Bruce Allen (What he's done in Washington with the purge of Cerrato's clowns to pulling the trigger for RG3 and completely changing that culture in the midst of a collusion cap scandal deserves a lot of praise)
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't really see any argument that what Baalke has done has been more impressive. Just based on sheer numbers.

For arguments sake let's just assume each roster right now is equal talent-wise.

Schneider's built the 1a best roster in the league MINUS Unger, Bryant, Mebane, and Hill.

Baalke has built the 1b best roster in the league MINUS Justin Smith, Crabtree, Vernus, Staley, Gore, Goldson, Walker and of course Willis, and Bowman...

He's done a good job no doubt and he was on the staff for a while, but pure GM resume I don't see how it's close.
Unlike the Seahawks, the 49ers SUCKED for NINE years. Baalke and Harbaugh have completely changed that in their FIRST and SECOND years TOGETHER. I love how you have the Seahawks rated better than the 49ers but yet, we're both rating them above the other for the same reason - because of who our favorite team is.

Objectively -

QB - Kaepernick because to go on a Super Bowl run was amazing and unlike the majority of other 49ers fans, I was one of the few that wanted Kaepernick to stay the starter after the Bears game and never look back. Wilson is great too. I'm actually a fan of his except for when we play each other because I like how he's proved everyone wrong and best out Flynn which I didnt expect at all. If I didnt have Kaepernick, I wouldnt mind Wilson as my QB but prefer Kaepernick because of his size and has better accuracy and arm strength especially when throwing down the field.

RB - Even. Seriously, you cant go wrong with Gore or Lynch.

FB - Miller because considering he was a late round pick and moved to FB (which I was against) after playing DE in a college to become an excellent blocking FB was a steal. Robinson is better now than he was a 49er but unlike Miller, his prime his past and to be honest, I never liked that moron Nolan drafting him.

WR - Even. Crabtree exploded and Harvin is great as well. Both are great receivers but in different ways. After them, I would take Boldin over Rice and whoever else you have at WR. The gem you have is Baldwin.

TE - Davis. Come on. Top 5 TE and just imagine how good he would be if Nolan and Singletary didnt have him blocking all the damn time.

LT - Even. Staley has become a franchise LT as has Okung. Cant go wrong with either.

LG - Iupati. Dont even know who your LG is and honestly, it doesnt matter since Iupati easily better than all of your guards.

C - Unger. I dont care for Goodwin and hope he gets replaced with Barrett Jones. Either way, Unger is damn good and easily better than who plays center for us.

RG - Boone. Again, doesnt matter. An undrafted FA who has become one hell of a steal and seriously, Carpenter, McQuistan, etc. ....give me a break.

RT - Davis. Again, doesnt matter. Giocami or whatever his damn name is. Come on.

K - Not going to attempt to spell his name but its your guy.
P - Lee who is arguably the best punter in the league.

DL - Seahawks. Honestly, the front seven is hard to compare because we run a 3-4 and you run a 4-3 so obviously, players have different roles and assigments in regards to what they're supposed to do. I think that Justin Smith is a great DE, McDonald is solid but NT is our weakness but at the same time time, we barely play our NT. Mebane, Bryant, Irvin plus the two guys you signed give you the edge. Again, the schemes are different but I'll give you three out of four spots on the DL with the exception being Justin Smith.

LB - 49ers. Must admit that I love Wagner and Wright is good too. Again, this becomes complicated because we use four linebackers while you use three. Brooks/Wright could be even but I would take Aldon over Wright and whoever replaces Hill. Would also take Willis and Bowman over Wagner. Three out of four.

CB - Seahawks. While im probably one of the few that likes Browner better than Sherman, both are better than Rogers (who I dislike) and Brown/Culliver.

S - Seahawks. Thomas and Chancellor are better than whoever and Whitner. would love to have Thomas as my FS but oh well.

49ers - QB, FB, WR (second starter), TE, LG, RG, RT, P, DE, OLB (aldon over whoever), ILB, ILB
Seahawks - C, K, DT, DT, DE, OLB (wright over brooks), CB, CB, FS, SS
Even - RB, WR, LT

When you look at it, its basically an even matchup. Me putting Baalke second is because to take my 49ers which were a POS team and turn them into what they are now was truly incredible because at best, I expected 8-8 in 2011 and build for the future.

Either way, whether you're a 49ers fan or Seahawks fan, you have to be happy about your team and think that they're better than the other team.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I <3 Jerry Reese.

I feel the same way about Baalke.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
So basically the teams that have been successful the past few years.
Yes, generally teams with good GM's making good decisions on how to build a team have successful teams

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post

I kid I kid.
On Bill Belichick's top 6 GMs.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Schneider's off the list because Pete Carroll runs that ship, he makes almost all the player calls including who to draft, much the same way BB runs NE's ship.
I think Pollian's list is right on.